Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black History Month Ireland, why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’m disappointed in you Bubblypop. You’re continually referring to Phillo as ‘black’ when he was clearly a mixed race man, with one white and one black parent.

It’s really quite insensitive of you to abnegate 50% of his heritage. I expected more nuanced thinking from you, as possibly the most prolific Boardsie on all ethnicity- and race-related topics.

Only refer to the man the way he referred to himself. Do you suggest you know better then he did?

Irish people can be black. But if they mainly identify by their skin color(black, white or purple) instead of Irish, they can take the BS right back to the us or uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

That’s the world the likes of him want. Whiteness= bad. It can be wiped away without a second thought, if you wiped away Philo’s black heritage you’d be every name under the sun to him and the likes of him on Boards.

Are you denying the existence of and the experiences of mixed race people?

How else would you describe a man with a white mother and a black father?

• Advertisement

I would describe them, if I needed to, in the way the wish to be described.

The same way I would with anyone.

Don't be so ridiculous.

if Phil Lynott described himself as a black paddy, then that's good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Seems fairly pointless, but I also think getting so wound up about it is fairly pointless also.

It'll happen, have next to no impact, and then be over, and it will literally be like it never happened.

But you freely admit that you didn’t know the man personally and have no idea how he identified, apart from some spurious articles in the media. You don’t believe everything you read in the newspapers, do you bubbly?

Mixed race people are 2% of the UK population. In the UK, mixed race people are perceived as the children of two parents from different racial backgrounds. Phillo is pretty much the archetype of a mixed race man.

Are you whitewashing (pardon the pun) the experiences of ca. 1.5 million people in the UK?

I'm not sure why you would think I don't believe in mixed race people? They're not Santa Claus😂

There are mixed race children in my family. I don't refer to them as anything.

If, when they are older they wish to be referred to as mixed race or black or white, then I'll respect that and that'll be grand.

With respect to Phil Lynott I believe interviews that the man gave where he referred to himself as a black Irish man. He also described himself as a Dub and an Irish Catholic.

I'm not sure why you would find an issue with that!

• Advertisement

There’s no issue here! I’m just highlighting your previous lack of nuance in referring to Phillo as ‘black’. Given that that you’re clearly passionate about race-related topics, this fixed mindset of yours was quite a surprise.

I just wanted to be clear that you weren’t unintentionally abnegating 50% of the man’s heritage. I’m glad that we’ve cleared that up.

Way to go on the deflection! I have to laugh. You complained about racist Irish in Boston (who are really American, and not Irish) and then, seek to defend the place when it's criticised. Hilarious. As for Boston, for every positive you provide, I could supply you with two negatives, and they'd likely be rather damning for the reputation of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gingers have no souls though. Can't be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Lol I also get a weird sense of enjoyment at seeing how much this annoys the middle aged boardies/journal commentators who dislike black people. You can see they just want to unleash their frustrations but have to moderate their comments. It's quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I know you're joking, but the right-ons would argue that beging ginger isn't a protected class, for things such as hate crime classification. You ask them why and they say there isn't a long history of gingers being attacked because of their status as gingers. Their concern with history presents itself if and when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

TLDR;

A middle class girl from Ghana immigrated to New York at age 16.

She met an Irish man, married him and moved to Galway.

She started an online business catering for the maternity clothing market.

She won an auction for a bricks and mortar store and began trading there successfully.

She diversified her business to include selling jewellery with a preference for collaborating with local immigrants.

She hopes her success will inspire non-Irish women to be successful business people.

You wouldn't happen to have any evidence, from this thread or otherwise that there are posters here who dislike Black people? Not the culture, the social sciences, or whatever... but Black people themselves. So.. where are you seeing this supposed frustration?

As for moderating comments, it is the advantage of education and being well read, that most people in their middle period of life, and who frequent boards, would be able to express themselves without sounding like a foaming in the mouth racist. I don't have any kind of issue with Black people based on their skin colour, although I don't particularly appreciate the various cultures that tends to be associated with them, whether that's African American, or a variety of the African cultures. You see? It's easy to show a dislike without being a racist.

So, personally, I suspect you're pulling all of this out of nowhere, and you're just trying to trigger people by making vague accusations.

Any black history in Ireland, if it was realistic, would start from 1995 and feature countless stories of Africans who escaped whatever hellhole countries they came from and found a very open, very welcoming country in Ireland. Where people were warm and empathetic and curious. A place with generous government benefits and low crime compared to where they came from. A place vastly better than the places they left behind.

I look forward to hearing those stories.

The idea that an Irish person would spit on a child because their skin is black. That's a situation I just find extremely hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Its irritating they'd have this scumbag arrested within 48 hours if they wanted to. Every square inch of any town in Ireland has ccctv. Don't tell me they can't find him

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

How do we know that the driver of the van was Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'd argue that the person in your story looking to integrate would find it much worse to on every turn see a certain group of people going out of their way to attack or belittle every completely harmless measure taken to in anyway support them - the same activity that a sizeable group of posters here seem to spend their lives doing.

I would have historically thought this effort wasn't needed but from reading threads it is clear that people do not have a clue about black history either within Ireland or abroad. I know 'the regulars' here are completely lost causes and will remain willfully ignorant but if it educates a few people that are open to learning then it is worth whatever minimal cost to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 generallyjack

Yeah, I was shocked when I heard it. That's why I've thought about it every day since. Poor chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Please dont put me in the wilfully ignorant camp. I dont know much about black history but personally I have a lot of interest in Africa. I had a short contract with one African country and I have published on African history, but there is very little African on the RTE offering.

I just dont see how marrying Irish identity to the US African American identity is supposed to be a solution for horrible behaviour as you describe. I think we can find the answer to racism in our culture, not US culture.

If you haven't been posting willfully ignorant stuff in every thread that touches on the topic of race then you aren't in that camp.

RTE are hardly going to cover every element of black history, maybe email them and tell them that next year they should focus a bit more on Africa. Similarly, if your concern is that we don't have this sort of coverage for other groups then you can contact them about that too - Asian, Hispanic etc. I don't get why people think the whataboutery argument stands up to scrutiny in these discussions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would have historically thought this effort wasn't needed but from reading threads it is clear that people do not have a clue about black history either within Ireland or abroad.

Oh please do inform us where the ignorance lays. I would bet the farm than because of US media influence on Irish culture that most of us know way more about Black history, particularly pertaining to the US, than we know about the Asian diaspora's history, or the Polish, or Indian, or German. On top of that much of said "Black history" begins and ends with the North Atlantic slave trade into the New World and the historical ramifications of that in those countries and their colonising powers. A period of about two centuries set against the enormous and deep history before, after and outside of it. Since you seem to suggest your knowledge of such things is above background ignorance; without troubling the google of knowledge how much can you tell us about the history of African folks in Portugal, or France? Never mind the grand and deep spread of African history itself. And no the pyramids of Egypt don't really cut it. Egypt doesn't even have the largest number of pyramids in that continent.

As for African history in Ireland most of it was one way and not in the obvious direction. There was quite the Irish/African history in the middle part of the last century with many Irish men and women going "on the missions" who had quite the bit of influence locally in that continent, something we rarely hear about or discuss these days, what with throwing out the baby with the church bathwater.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The ignorance is clear in the tripe that is posted in every race related thread from posters who do not know and do not care to learn about the history of the topics they are discussing (yes, it is regularly US focused because that is where these posters get their outraged white people talking points from).

As for the rest, you must have missed my next post that covers off basically it all from you desire for broader history and the whataboutery.

I've just read about Frederick Douglas's time in Cork. It was very informative and a part of Ireland that I was unaware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There were some Irish American's fundraising for a FD museum over there a few years back. I don't know whether it ever came to fruition. He was a fan of Daniel O'Connell if I remember correctly.

Advertisement