Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towns that have the greatest number of pub closures

• 25-10-2021 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Can anybody beat Mountrath in County Laois?

In my youth, there were 17 licensed premises, many of them doing a booming trade with live music every weekend night and many's the good night was had.

I'm told at its peak there were 19 pubs in the town surely making it vie for the title of most pubs per capita in the country considering the population of the town never exceeded 1,800.

Since Covid restrictions have been lifted only three pubs have reopened their doors to the public.

85% of the bar trade in the town decimated in one generation. Even accounting for changing consumer habits this has to be some kind of a record...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is there any “correlation” between the number of pub closures in rural Ireland and the opening of chemists/pharmacies?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Edward Street in Limerick is a good example. Back in the late 90's you had O'Sullivan's, Ryan O'Neill's, Slatterys, Noonan's, Quaid's, Ann O'Connor's and lastly Bill Murphy's across from the barracks. Only Slatterys is left out of all those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

No harm. The Irish pub is an awful institution. The less vintners the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Stanley 1

Have to agree, in the main rip-off merchants who also feel very entitled as a lobby group, supermarket pricing is hurting and also Aldi/Lidl have spiced up variety of choice.

• Advertisement

Lots of pubs just didn’t keep up with the wants of their customer base. The market for some surly auld prick serving up one of a choice of 4 beers to his alcoholic clientele on a cold Tuesday evening is shrinking. Toothless simpletons huddled around the front door pulling on a fag. The jacks reeking of stale piss and neglect.

Modern Irish consumers want local craft beers, a proper wine list, good food, clean toilets, maybe some live music or a DJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pfft. I don’t drink much these days but if I’m looking for a place to drink in, pub number one sounds far more enticing. Craft beer fanatics are general bellends.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Not a town but a suburb of cork,blackpool once had about 20 pubs now down to 6.

Not at all, Ernie. Just pointing out that most pubs close because they offer a terrible experience that doesn’t appeal to a newer generation. People want choice, a comfortable experience, and good food.

They don’t care that Gerry, the barman, has worked there for 62 years, and never missed a day’s work. They don’t want to listen to the same 6 or 7 bartstool bores rehashing the same 5 or 6 topics. Some people have this romantic notion about the Irish pub, and how they should remain somehow timeless while the rest of the world moves on. That doesn’t work for the vast vast majority of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

So at it's peak there was one pub for approximately 90 people, and obviously not everyone was of drinking age. Was this peak number back in the 80' or 90's when there may not have been the same amount of money going?

Sometimes I think there must have been a lot of money just pissed against a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ballaghdereen had 77 pubs for 1250 people - many only opened one or two days a month for market trade. Still has about 10 which is a lot for a town of its size but I think its probably unbeatable in loss.

There are areas of Dublin that have had huge drops too - Patrick Street/Bride Street/Kevin Street/Christchurch area had over 25 in the 40s and now has three - one of which is a hotel bar.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don't drink alcohol anymore (recovering alcoholic) but I've also noticed the closure of hundreds of pubs around the country. Where in a rural town of, say, 3,000 population there may have been 20 pubs back in the 1990s, there are only about 3 or 4 surviving now.

No bad thing given that so many of those pubs were reliant on alcoholics - like I used to be - pissing their wages/dole away - on their journey to an early grave like generations of Irish men who came before them. Ireland was very poor, repressed and miserable in days of yore and alcohol was the escape route of most.

These days young people have much more choice in entertainment and things to do than get pissed all weekend - and punters want and deserve a much better choice and quality pub experience.

The Irish pub culture is dying before our eyes - and I am not shedding any tears, given how so many pub owners in the past got very fat on the backs of broken homes, battered wives and no food on the table for the children because Da pissed at all away down the pubs in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How were they sustainable? Were most of the publicans farmers or had other income coming in and the pub was only a sideline or hobby for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I'd say the majority of them may have owned the building, so they saved on what is now probably a crippling expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

This would have been in the late 70s/early 80s, ironically when the country was in the depths of major economic depression. I think there is an inverse correlation between the disposal income and the amount spent on drink. We drink to forget.....

Something to remember is that every new supermarket and convenience store built with an off-licence "uses up" a pub licence to get that off-licence.

If you have a marginally viable pub and someone from Aldi/Lidl/Tesco/BWG/Musgraves offers you 60k (this is a low estimate, it has bene over 100k at times) to take the licence off your hands, it provides a perverse incentive to get out of the business.

No new pub licences have been created since 1902; and various reasons have existed that have reduced the total number hugely - publicans with restricted licences (no Sundays or early closing) taking unrestricted ones to convert theirs; new pubs needing two licences rather than one for years and the constant off-licence conversions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Pretty much all of Longford town seems to have closed down since the pandemic. I tried to find a pub for a bit of lunch last saturday at 1pm and i literally could not find one. I circled around the town to make sure but the pubs were either closed down or open later, and the only cafe available was full. I knew the place was desolate but not even one pub for lunch, shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Money probably going up the nose now rather than against a wall...

Wouldnt mind a spanish style pub where i can have fast food and a pint or coffee. Am glad to see fewer pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Unless you have something else to offer in a fantastic loaction- pubs without food are practically loss making.

The only old school pubs still open with nothing to offer (food or music or accom) are usually very very grim and run by an auld couple with zero overheads. Gone when they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Late 90s early 00s saw a major change in Irish pups .

Pretty much every second pub rural and larger towns had an upgrade redesign most went open plan opening a small restaurant or having a d Jay.

This although not noticed at the time doing away with the lounge actually stop a lot of clientele going to pubs.

More younger generation made up most of the people drinking.

Then the recession hit and put a lot of there pubs under pressure.

They lost the restaurant trade and younger people didn't have the money to go out, a lot of older people who weren't drinking because of lack of a lounge.

Most pubs that are surviving now are the ones that stayed the same except for a lick of paint and a small face lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yet Wetherspoons is the only one expanding by opening new pubs, the opposite of what you said people want. Looks like people want cheap beer and food with no music.

Wetherspoons are far from the only pub chain expanding with new pubs. Ignoring those expanding by purchasing or reopening you still have Press Up who are larger in Ireland than Wetherspoons and expanding faster.

And cheap with no music they aren't!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

It was never good for pub grub, even back in the good times. Can think of three pubs now that do food including the hotel. Not sure what café you're talking about though. At least 10 or 12 dotted around the town that do lunches.

The pub numbers are definitely down though since my younger days. There was about 25 pubs twenty years ago and now down to less than half that. There were historically over 50 pubs in the town. Don't know how they would ever had enough business to be anyway viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

These days young people have much more choice in entertainment and things to do than get pissed all weekend - and punters want and deserve a much better choice and quality pub experience.

Yeah thats a big reason, back in the 80s and 90s your options for entertainment were limited to the pub, playing pool (often inside a pub) and the cinema if you lived in a bigger town. Some towns might have had a bowling alley as well. Nowadays theres way more things to do and people are doing them in big numbers.

Also the current generation in their 20s are a lot more healthy than any generation before them. Lots of young lads are more interested in going to the gym 3 days a week than drinking 2 or 3 nights a week. Stats are showing young people are drinking less than previous generation. Lots still have one big night out a week but they are not turning into habitual drinkers the way previous generations did. I remember Bank Holiday weekends back in the day meant many of us went out Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights whereas the current generation arent drinking near as much as that.

Also the food offering overall in many pubs has gone down over the years. Many pubs that have been serving food for 30+ years are just phoning it in at this stage with bland carveries populated by OAPs and then thinking they can charge 18 quid for an over cooked burger and chips in the evenings and people will be happy with that. Between cafes in the day time and casual dining restaurants in the evenings there is way more choice and better food to be had outside of the pub trade. Some pubs have recognised this and rebranded as 'gastropubs' with a better food offering but if you're going to spend 25 quid for a main course you'll likely get a better meal in a proper restaurant and go there instead. So pub food is getting squeezed from above by restaurants and squeezed from below by cafes and casual dining. There is less people going to eat in pubs as a result whereas years ago it was your main option to eat out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

My own village had six, ten years ago, population, catchment area no more than 2000 (how they were sustainable always amazed me, I'm a blow in and non drinker . Pre pandemic 3 remaining , 2 leased, post pandemic 2 left and already talk of one closing .

The decline of rural pubs has been happening for years but its not just pubs, 1000's of small business's too, our tidy towns committee considering a Thumble weed display for next year.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That goes back to a time before phones when fellas met after work in the same pub every day knowing that his friends would do the same. Henry St. was the same and I used be up there a lot and you could see the generational difference. Young lads from Garryowen, Munsters or whoever would go there after the AIL match but on a normal day could use the phone to pick and choose the place offering the best "product" which those off O'Connell Ave pubs were not.

There were way too many identical pubs up in that area for them all to survive and it's no surprise the ones that survived. It's the same as the small villages and towns with multiple pubs.

Look at the OPs example where you had 19 pubs for roughly 800 adults and assuming that all 800 even liked the pub that's 50 people per pub which is nowhere near enough unless they are all drinking 7 pints 7 nights a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Love a few pints in an old style pub but times are a changing. They need to serve wine and some hot food and have clean loos or they won't get the younger crowd or ladies. Must say too that since the end of lockdown it's changed, the drink isn't the same and the athmosphere isn't there anymore.

Completely disagree on the food. Plenty of great pubs doing very well without it. Something more than 1 200ml bottle of wine per colour is important I would say though and a couple of spirits and beers beyond the basic too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Living abroad and went two years without making it back to Donegal due to Covid. Pre pandemic, the town I drink in was like those described here, hopping in the 90s with a main street full of pubs, but then dead on its feet for some time. Encouragingly, a number of places revamped their premises during the lockdown, possibly due to the influx of tourists to the county when people have been unable to travel abroad. Some now doing a really high standard of pub food, others who now have really good beer gardens, while maintaining the traditional pub inside. Not sure how sustainable this will be in the long run, but was good to see a bit of life about the place again. Interestingly, the most popular pub in the town has stood still for years due to the lack of competition, and no one aside from the regulars bother with it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't think all the blame for high prices should be put on the publican.

Its also their suppliers, two of whom are dominant, and charge higher prices in this market compared to other markets.

Guinness is made in Dublin, yet sells for lower prices in the UK (same excise, more or less).

I also blame high overheads: energy, rents, insurance costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Stanley 1

Higher advertising costs in established markets, need to keep number 1 position.

Guinness is also brewed in London.

Yes overheads can vary hugely from place to place.

In the main, publicans gouge the punters.

Little of none of the price increases in pubs every year is about increasing profits. Maintaining yes but not increasing

Guinness stopped brewing in the UK almost 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

Guinness has'nt been brewed in London since 2005. All Guinness for the UK and Ireland is Brewed in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

in Clare? don't think I've ever heard the place mentioned on boards. Nice old village with nice people all the same but really out of the way. No reason to be passing through unless you're going there direct.

I visited around 2016 one Tuesday night for a drive and I remember walking into 3 pubs and they were all completely empty bar the fire roaring and Champions league on the TV. I'm not surprised a few of them closed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Virginia, County Cavan, once had 10 on the main street, now down to 3. One is a restaurant so no good until after 10 at night. The other was described in Pub Spy of having the atmosphere of a Nazi Concertrantion camp, although it's been done up very well since that and the other absolutely jammed at the weekends so waiting 10 or 15 minutes for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

"Our pubs are closing. Pillars of the community, just gone"

Translation: People's tastes have changed, in no small part due to better education about alcohol and health.

Long may the Irish pub culture die out. Get smart, adapt, offer food or have something unique to get people in. The days of just sitting there all day, drinking and smoking are gone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think that the smoking ban in 2004, as welcome as it was (in hindsight, in my case as a smoker) was the starting gun for the rapid decline in the fortunes of the Irish pub.

Many more factors were also responsible for the decline, but the smoking ban definitely began a big cull of the pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Agreed. Coupled with increased breathalysing in the morning of people going to work. Definitely hit the rural pubs hard where I’m from, obviously weeknights took a huge hit. My local village had 3 pubs, none open now. My local town had over 35, down to about 6 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I gotta say that the crackdown on drink driving, which predates the smoking ban, was also a significant factor for smaller rural pubs. But, again, that's not something anyone would choose to reverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Things move on, tastes and lifestyles change.

The Irish town or village cannot be preserved in aspic, for good or ill. It's inevitable that many pubs will go to the wall.

I don't see the smoking ban having any real impact. Don't remember anyone at the time where I drank or worked who stopped coming to the pub after it.

Each increasing crackdown on drink driving was huge though and for some pubs the huge increase in the amount of houses with full Sky packages.

Those pubs in the 10 pubs in a tiny village type places lived of 7 day a week drinker which is gone and has been for a while and that's the main reason they closed often as the customers literally died off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I always thought it was Kilmahil. Had crazy amount of pubs for its population. Passed there regularly when going to my PhD supervisor who lives just before Labasheeda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There most intriguing thing I saw before the lockdown, being out in for a few drinks in what would have been a rural village outside a major city but now with massive development has become a suburbs, anyway, the pub went with the times and now very trendy but sitting up a the bar were two aul lads flat caps, straight from a John Hind postcard oblivious to all the glamor having a few pints and a chat.

Although a lot of rural pubs in the non touristy parts of Ireland put men in mind of this,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maccerino

Millennium New Year's Eve started a decline too. Vintners were shown to be the greedy feckers they were charging huge door prices to get in. I remember it being a damp squib. House parties and drinking at home were born that night. It has mushroomed since

• Advertisement
Advertisement