Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes. One of them is even in the squad and already capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shinana abu

My assessment of Crowley was based almost solely on u 20s six nations, that makes superior to the more touted byrnes and healy

• Subscribers Posts: 41,471 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JJ Hanrahan was once nominated for IRB Junior World Player of the Year on the back of his U20s performances.........

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shinana abu

Was considered a great prospect at u 20 , because he did not progress does not mean Crowley will not. We shall have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nobody is saying that he won’t, just that U20s performances aren’t a solid guide to senior Test rugby ability. Which they aren’t. We’re all hoping Crowley can translate that form to senior level. And his one start is certainly encouraging. But it is still incredibly early days for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭joedamuss

Agree totally, exactly the point I was trying to make earlier, these young lads need game time or it will be the same old story come the world cup

Agreed, but they need gametime at provincial level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Sexton is the present. Not the past. He is currently the best 10 in Ireland. He is not the best that he has ever been but he still owns the 10 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭joedamuss

I know what you're saying but at provincial level there often stuck behind a player who was a fantastic player, take Murray v Casey or an under performing Joey v Healy or Crowley at Munster, I'm a Munster man and Conor Murray was the best scrum half in the world for a few years but time moves on, we have to be brave, look at France with Intamack and Dupont for example.

France are not a good example to follow unless you are a fan of being a bit of a disaster for about a decade. That they seem to have finally got to a good place should not hide the utter dysfunction that has defined them for so long.

Joey v Healy v Crowley highlights the problem with what people want here. The management/coaches have made a decision to move forward with Carbery but it isn't working out due mostly to injuries. Trying to decide who will succeed Sexton now for Ireland will and has been beset by the same problem.

• Advertisement

Look at France, look at France. Okay let’s look at France. They have the biggest league, the most money and highest number of players of any other country in world rugby. Yet they haven’t won a damn thing in over a decade now.

France are not the model to follow. They may be on to something now. Maybe. But how many failures did they need to get there? And can they finally turn things around and actually win something? That still remains to be seen. Although this coming 6Ns is as good an opportunity as they are going to get given the current state of the other contenders.

The likes of Ntamack and DuPont are fairly special players. Once in a generation types. If we had guys like that right now then they would be getting the game time because they’d be demanding it. Our problem is that we don’t have options like those guys right now. They didn’t become that good by getting game time. They got game time by being that good. Some people here could really do with recognising the difference there.

Central contracted players aren't always selected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

The central contract conspiracy theory just doesn't stand up to scrutiny at all.

Keith Earls, Devin Toner, POM, Healy, Murray, Henshaw, Aki, Kearney

All of them have been dropped from the team at least once since the World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'll just say this.

When Harry Byrne came on the scene, everyone was VERY excited.

As he got more games and we saw more of him, excitement has waned somewhat.

For Healy and Crowley, the sample size is so small that there's absolutely no way to know if these guys are actually any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I think Healy has shown enough over the last two seasons that he has a lot of ability. I agree on Crowley as he has not had enough games yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

I'd love to see Frawley at ten in one of the Nov games. I'm starting to feel like Japan is the key fixture for Ireland, yes the ABs is always a big one but Japan came very close to us in the Summer and nearly did a number on Australia at the weekend. They'll also fancy their chances given how they handled us in the WC. They are threatening to become our new bogey team, a la Argentina.

Frawley is not playing at 10 for Leinster for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

What does any of that got to do with the fact they took a gamble on the 10 shirt and it paid off excellently? The reaction towards France is the typical reaction from Ireland, ignore all the important facts in this and focus on parts that arent really relevant to the discussion, the fact is France's record and the risk France took at 10 aren't intertwined, the specific goal of this specific risk was to ensure they have afew quality 10s to choose from in the following years, that specific experiment got them Ntamack and Jalibert so in this experiment their plan worked splendidly. In regards to France's record that has far more to do than just who is in the 10 shirt and is completely different subject and even trying to sidetrack towards it is just making bollocks excuses like we always tend to do.

What failures did they have in regards to this experiment? They backed 2 young 10s and now have 2 young 10s with proper experience?

Um no we wouldnt if we did, someone like Nathan Doak looks like he could be generational yet he wasnt even called up to the squad, if we followed the French approach Doak would be in the Irish squad and would potentially have 2 caps this autumn. We on the other hand just try to pick holes in his game and find excuse possible to not select and when we cant find on we just fall back on the "he's too young" bollocks. Also Ntamack wasnt even starting big games for Toulouse at 10 when he was starting for France at 10 in the 6N in 2019 which shows that this statement isnt true, and that untrue they settled at test level and that helped get the mistakes out of their game at a young age and now France are reaping the rewards from it, we on the other hand Lynch our young 10s the minute as we arent willing to let our young 10s do what Ntamack did, we want them to be as good as Sexton right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

What disaster? They have two young 10s who look naturals at this level, it helps when you are actually backed at 10 rather than lynched every time you make a mistake like what happens in this country. Stop trying to use France as a whole to try sidetrack from the actual main point of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stop trying to use France as a whole to sidetrack the discussion but you keep referring to France and how they have got it right with their policies?

• Advertisement

He’s deliberately trying to move the goalposts throughout. We’re all wasting our time. Stick him on ignore and let him talk to nobody at all. We’ll all be better for it.

France don't back anyone at 10, that is their problem. They have been chopping and changing their halfbacks for a decade to the point where throwing in Ntamack and Jalibert was just yet another step in their mania. And that is why they have more wooden spoons than 6N championships in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No one was talking about Healy in the Ireland context until Munster demolished an absolutely abject Scarlets a few weeks ago. They all looked like superstars because the opposition were a million miles from test level.

We have the right three OHs in the squad IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ok they gave Ntamack and Jallibert a shot. Who were the other more experienced 10s available? What other options did they have? Apart from Lopez.

In an effort to move the conversation on, half backs aside what are people looking for from this series? What would deem it a success?

For me I’d like to see some progress in our attacking game. We have been looking to put more width on things under Farrell and play more. But I’m not sure we’ve figured out where to play what players in order to make that happen. I’m assuming we want more ball players in the back line. Guys who can step in at first and/or second receiver as much as possible. We’d have to have some variety there. But who is being asked to do that? Are they (m)any outside of Sexton who can?

Are there other elements of our game that people want to see kick on a bit, change or whatever? How important are the results to people? What if the performances are rubbish but we are showing signs of developing our game in a positive direction?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“…the fact is France's record and the risk France took at 10 aren't intertwined”.

If you want to believe France’s decade of underachievement, when their highest 6 Nations finish was 3rd, has nothing to do with them backing a young 10 then….

Y’know what, nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

People who saw Healy last season were advocating that a) he should be the starting ten for a Munster, and b) in time he could be in the green jersey. The first has to happen before the second is a serious option.

I think all of Doussain, Plisson, Trinch-Duc, Tales and Beauxis have had starts in the last 5 years or so. The French approach seemed entirely scattergun with their half backs for a fair while.

Last season, any calls for him to be starting 10 would’ve had him ahead of JJ tho. Part of that picture is that Carbery returned in March. I don’t think anyone expected Carbery to be as off the pace as he’s been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

As someone pointed out a couple of days ago the three 10s on the panel for November are all A&E candidates every time they cross the white line. I could see a situation where two of them go down and Frawley gets looked at. Even BOD mentioned him as a possible 10.

Advertisement