Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

He would sentenced to 40 lashings after mass in Ballyhale in front of the whole county!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Anyone at the semis today.? .heard some on the radio..shamrocks seemed to be slow to get going..then again a lot gets lost in translation on kclr .. Brazzill worth another chance on county panel I'd say pity tullaroan got bet it would have been nice to see Tommy get to a final

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Yes village keeper made a handling mistake and gifted shamrocks a goal.when they were 4 up .shamrocks were workmanlike without catching fire .but just are to good all over the field. Will win it out.tullaroan had chances but o loughlins just a bit more clinical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

I thought Colin Fennelly and the 2 Mullens were well off the pace today, Joey Cuddihy also quite after playing well the last 2 days. Problem for everyone else is that the Shamrocks have so many good players. Niall Brassil did well at centre back for the Village who put up a decent effort but the soft goal in the first half hurt them. Thought TJ's penalty was struck inside the 20 meter line?

Tullaroan hit some poor wides but OLG probably deserved to win. Needed a bigger performance from Mossy Keoghan, Padraig Walsh not as dominant as the last day, Paddy Deegan either. Huw Lawlor very effective at centre back, may be his best position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Did Qullty feel the game was about him he was shocking for both teams.

Can the intermediate the senior be on the one day or is that allowed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Tullaroan will be disappointed, had a great chance of winning today but some poor shooting let them down. Robbie Buckley did well for them after coming on and Huw Lawlor was good throughout, Eoin O’Shea seems to have gone off the boil this year after a good year last year.

The Shamrocks looked in trouble early on against the Village but the soft goal got Shamrocks back in the game. Brassill was very good for the Village, hopefully he’ll get lots of game time with Kilkenny next year!

With the club scene nearly over have many lads out there hand up for being brought into the Kilkenny panel next year? Brassill aside I don’t think there’s many who look like they’ll improve the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chg1980

Shocking again Hughes no better in the first game..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Tullaron definitely should of had a free in near the end it was a shoulder into the chest.They definitely had chances and will be dissapointed with a few wides.Shane Walsh has being very lively and definitely deserves a proper run with the county.Tomas dunne has also being very good think he was last year minor.

I couldn't believe paddy deegan taking the penalty I doubt he will take one again.Owen wall has had a good season after concentrating on the hurling.He has great pace.Huw was very solid at 6 and alot of people think its his best position.

The village will also be dissapointed.For all the good things they done it wasn't reflected on the score board.Brassil was very good at 6 hopefully he will get a good run next year.Shamrocks just got the job done without being at their best.Colin spent most of the game out around midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I heard the other day that the clubs were asked to send in their best players to the various development squads. Surely the management teams should be out scouting and deciding who should be brought into the squads, wouldn’t this avoid all the favourtism that has ruined the whole concept of the squads . Firstly this would take away the awkwardness of the local because some would be under pressure to send in both friends and relations and secondly these up and coming management teams should be at as many matches as possible like what was done years ago. They are taking the lazy way out . On a different topic the refereeing at the weekend matches was atrocious ,all they are doing is counting steps and other minor demeanors instead of letting the game flow . There is really very little dirty play in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Our club sent in 4 players, all sent home only one. The 2 most obvious ones omitted by the club mentors.

success for Henry in Galway will be 2 leinsters in 3 years.🤔

But to us it's a meaningless competition 🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Not sure what point you're trying to make but at this point in time, yea, Leinster is pretty much irrelevant. Plus let's be honest we robbed Galway in 2020 and were shockingly poor in this years final against a Covid riddled Dublin side

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mooz

Who was the best player on view Sunday who left the county panel because of the atmosphere??

If Kilkenny won the next 3 leinster titles it doesn't really mater as we are a farce and its leinster.As you have pretty much drawn a line though the last 2.

Davy fitz one won one in five years and the wexford term was seen as successful enough. Even if he had a group who won 3 leinster u21 in a row.

I'm not for a minute saying everything is rosey but I don't think we are measuring ourselves fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Brassil is the one referenced in the article

When we don't win the All Ireland we should be judged on the level of our performances not on league or Leinster titles and our performances have been shite for 5 years with the exception of an occasional bolter like Limerick in 2019. 2020 and 2021 has been consistently poor regardless of the Leinster titles won.

You talk about us not judging ourselves fairly. Personally, I don't think we have the talent to win the All Ireland so I don't judge on that. I want to see progression and we haven't seen anything approaching that now in 5 years. The same errors being repeated in the same situations over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Advertisement

Bring in a coach capable of improving the players we have and who can put a game plan in place which suits them.

And what is realistic expectation for your new management team. Who you believe can't win a All Ireland. After all its a results driven business.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

More importantly, who is the current player, in his prime, who is considering retirement.

Will the present manager allow a coach capable of improving the players we have come in no he is there a quarter of a century to long people do not last in the one job. Michael Fennelly was on a podcast a couple of weeks ago with Shane Stapelton it was very interesting what he said about the kilkenny situation he said Cody is still wining silverware nobody has really put there hands up to take over from the present man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

This section of the article really strikes a chord first of all who are the players in question leaving the panel? And secondly who’s the player from the Village? Is it Brassil?

Surely if all this plays out Cody’s position becomes untenable, to replace that many players of the required quality is surely too much of an ask for us at this point

The biggest thing seems to be the toxic atmosphere in around the squad which seems to be there a while now going back to the Waterford game last year which seems to be something to do with why Colin Fennelly walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

While he has some interesting points puffed up with flowery writing..

The author says... "I intensely dislike public house conversations" and then spends the next few paragraphs basically tells us what rumours he's allegedly been told.. A lot of the article is "supposedly" and "I am told"

Until the 10 exits that has been predicted by the author come to pass its all just idle pub talk.

I'm sure most players wouldn't be informing pm directly of their intentions.

Most player especially when it comes to retirement are more in the camp of treating journalists like mushrooms. Feed them **** and keep 'em in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think we're all braced for a few retirements.Hogan has being plagued by injury and I think most will agree the lack of game time himself and joey got the last few years was very unfair.Then you have lads like Buckley,wally,fogarty who have given us great value but have become impact players.Blanchfield has lost all confidence.

PM does have a few valid points.Cody has made a few terrible decisions over the last few years and in any other county its unlikely he would get reinstalled without any fuss.Our puck out strategy against particularly cork last year and brining on a player who missed a years hurling and let him get roasted by Kingston was very poor.

The talk here a few weeks ago was eoin Murphy isn't happy so thats probably who he is talking about.The only positive I'd say is cody unlike what Liam sheedy done last year is he wasn't loyal to the older lads and he has blooded a good few lads but there's no getting away from the obvious.We lack a puck out strategy and game plan.

I was at alot of matches over the last few weeks and theres not many lads putting up their hands for inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Yes, Cody has been helepd by a few bits of silverware (2018 National League and the 2020 smash and grab on Galway to win Leinster) but the level of performance from 2016 to 2021 has mostly ranged from barely average to often abject.

Over the course of hurling history, Munster teams would always take any AI final opponent ahead of facing Kilkenny, not now.

Every one of the five strong Munster counties would take an AI semi or final versus Cody's Kilkenny over Galway any day of the week. They believe they have our number. Arguably the weakest of that five (Clare) have no fear whatsover of Cody's Kilkenny and have routinely beaten us for 4-5 years

I'd take with a pinch of salt what ex players are saying publicly, they are being deferential to a man they soldiered with, and that only reflects well on them. Privately I would imagine most feel he has stayed too long.

Someone made the point here recently that Cody's mantra has always been about "the team and not the individual" and yet here he is breaking his own code, making it too much about himself.

How many great inter county careers did he bring to a sudden end? Lots, and some of them in the most ruthless and even callous fashion. But it appears the same tough code just doesn't apply to him.

Five years after an All Ireland final defeat that should have heralded the end of his glorious tenure (a torn assunder tactical defeat that prefaced what was coming, the game and its sophistication moving beyond what Cody had preached successfully for 15 years), there is no one to tap him on the shoulder and say what he said a dozen or more times "you had a good run but it's time to go"

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Extract from Irish Examiner article by PM O'Sullivan - That obvious topic, Henry Shefflin’s decision to take on managing Galway? People shake their head, lost for wryness. From what I hear, there exists no animosity towards the Ballyhale native. Disappointment and frustration, yes, but his name is not being held to a flame. -

This is bull! Practically everybody I spoke with in the last week would not be at all happy with Shefflin.

Many former players have got involved with Kilkenny squads, minor, under 20 etc over the years. Some have gained experience with Meath, Laois, Kildare etc and various clubs. That to me is putting your hand up and showing genuine interest in getting involved with the seniors when Cody steps down, or told to go. I'm not aware of Shefflin getting involved at any level with the County. Why then should he be considered the successor to Cody? He certainly hadn't shown obvious interest.

On the expected retirements from the senior setup - any of us could name at least six players likely to go. You don't have to be a journalist with "inside knowledge"! Liam Blanchfield is the young player he's referring to. Again, fairly common knowledge.

Post edited by Grats on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

An interesting view from Jamie Wall.

RTE.ie: Shefflin will know where Kilkenny are weakest - Wall.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/1026/1255921-shefflin-will-know-where-kilkenny-are-weakest-wall/

Advertisement