Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

See, the French system isn't in itself terrible, because all the police investigation is overseen by a judge. By the time it gets to court, evidence is very reliable and has been scrutinised thoroughly.

The problem here is that they attempted to use the French system with the almighty feck up that was the irish investigation. The two systems should never be mixed as it is, but with this case in particular.... Well, we've all seen the shitshow.

That's my summary anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭tinytobe

What you're describing sounds plausible. If the murder would have happened in France and French police would have investigated and most likely done a better job than the Guards in Ireland, the outcome of the trial would have been different.

However the courts in France should have dismissed this case, simply as evidence tying the murderer to the crime scene simply wasn't there, irrespective if the victim's citizenship or location/country of the murder. It's that one that gives me frightening thoughts.

Suppose, just for the exercise: In a corrupt 3rd world country, maybe somewhere in Africa, a French citizen gets murdered, local police mess up the whole investigation, miss important evidence, either by incompetence or deliberate design to protect the murderer, then try to point onto some other man, and say that case gets in front of a French court, just because the murder victim was French. Also, assume that the murder victim wasn't a wealthy French family. How would that case go different?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Why do we even entertain the French Government with regards to handing over Bailey to them ..??

The Irish DPP was quite clear that there wasn't one shred of evidence to link him to the murder.. Not one!

So just because the Froggies are in bed with the powerful Du Plantier Family, it doesn't allow them to serve up a sacrificial offering at the expense of the Irish Justice system... (Even if they did throw a few bob at the banks a while back).

It amazes me, that the findings of a grossly incompetent investigation in Ireland, which was laughed out of the DPP offices, was enough to condemn a man to 25yrs on a foreign shore.. Like, how does that work??

Sophie's Son really needs to slow down and smell the coffee.. His Mother was no shrinking violet, and had already met with violence through her extra marital affairs.

He looks like an intelligent, educated individual, can he not at least see his Mothers death is complicated (too say the least)

I fear that he has the obvious French slanted mentality, throw Bailey in prison to rot, and all will be well with the world again, regardless if he actually committed the crime or not.

Shur how could you blame the lad, isn't the French President cut from the same cloth?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Xander10

While the Gardai get flax (seemingly rightly so) , why does the most important person for an investigation escape scott free?

Harbison. Wouldn't travel the day of the murder being revealed because he was celebrating his birthday the night before. Murders were rare in Ireland then. A case like this, he should have announced he was on his way straight away and the scene protected. Instead we had a 24 hour delay to want seems to have been a trampled on murder scene with it impossible to then establish the likely time of death.

Just watched a programme about unidentified bodies discovered in Ireland. In the case of an unidentified women, harbison's report is not filed on record and the schull crucially lost by him. WTF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I would hazard a guess that the costs were in excess of 500k and compensation for the innocent crèche employee stitched up by corrupt gardai who started at a guilty assumption and tried to ensure the story matched their assumption - his compensation will be in the €1m bracket.

I believe that there are more cases being taken against corrupt garda investigations this year than ever before.

• Advertisement

The "amazing thing" is that not only was the investigation grossly incompetent, there was no evidence at all, and apparently that was "enough and beyond reasonable doubt" in France.

It was most likely Sophie's son who kept the momentum alive since the murder happend back in 1996, playing the poor little son, who had to grow up without his loving mother, who busily slept around with various men. He achieved a conviction in France by whatever influence on the judge and a Netflix documentation which seems to be pointing towards Bailey.

What he still doesn't have is evidence to tie the "evil" Bailey to the murder scene. Sophie's son also made no attempt to apply any kind of scientific approach to this? Have the house searched again professionally, for things invisible to the naked eye, something that might have been missed, blood stains, etc... Also he never made any public statement stating the lack of absence of evidence to find the killer. To Sophie's son it was apparently very clear that Bailey was the murderer, he didn't doubt that, even though he had no evidence.

Which other violence did Sophie experience in her extra marital affairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

his loving mother, who busily slept around with various men. 

What evidence is there for ths? AFAIK there is one acknowledged lover post her marriage to DTDP.

Also, even if she was having multiple affairs, is there any reason to believe she was in any way neglectful towards her son, as you seem to be insinuating?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

I think that Sophie's son is convinced of Bailey's guilt due to the Guards assurances to that effect. It is difficult to see how anyone can form the opinion that Bailey is the killer based on an objective view of the evidence currently in the public domain.

Sophie's ex lover, Bruno Carbonnet, is reported to have attempted to strangle her, until restrained by a member of the public, at a Metro Station in Paris.

Anyone else seen nick fosters latest round of tweets today?

He's surpassed himself this time with his lies and misinformation.

What pisses me off about Foster is his cowardly refusal to reply to anyone on twitter who calls him out on his lies.

Then has the audacity to challenge IB on taking a lie detector!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, where is he getting this from??

https://twitter.com/NFoster66/status/1452605548214509576

• Advertisement

I think that one is also partly down to the French mentality. I think they have a stronger believe in authorities in France, than there is in Ireland. Also, on the other hand, for example, suppose I would have been called up for jury duty ( don't know if it's a jury trial in this case ) and the case was presented in court, the jury heard, I could never have voted for "guilty beyond reasonable doubt" as no evidence has been heard or seen to point to Bailey being the murderer or having even been near the murder site that night.

All this in mind, I would personally never rule out the classical "avenging lover" kind of motive to Sophie's murder. Whether he did it himself, or had it done, would be a different matter, same as alibies the likes of a signature to a telephone technician. I also find it more than idiotic to attempt to strangle somebody in a public place, such as a metro station in Paris. The location couldn't have been worse, and in the worst case scenario, even back then there may have been CCTV, and then there is also the issue of getting away with it. So Bruno Carbonnet certainly wasn't the wisest in terms of planning a murder, if it had to be in a Paris metro station, if he planned at all. Her husband certainly had more motive, in regards to the life insurance on Sophie, however he probably wouldn't have had an issue that his wife was sleeping with other men, he himself slept around as well. Maybe he bought her the house, to have her away for some time, and have more time for his own philandering.

We do not know how many men she actually slept with, other than her husband. We can only guess, and all that is also only hearsay and rumors going around in the area. The only confirmed lover besides her marriage seems to be Bruno Carbonnet.

Indeed, how could anyone other than the killer know this stuff? Did he tell it to Nick under hypnosis or something?

He's full of utter shite and bailey-haters wallow it up!!

Maybe Nick Foster is the murderer himself? Where was he at the night of the murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Sophie's ex lover, Bruno Carbonnet, is reported to have attempted to strangle her, until restrained by a member of the public, at a Metro Station in Paris.

Have you got a link for the above quote from your post.

Thanks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Seriously like....

There's only two people who know what happened that night, and one of them is dead.

Yet Nick Foster is posting exactly what occurred, a row over a bottle of wine...

Pleeeeease!!!!

Not if the often mentioned Guard from Bantry was the murderer, - he died around 10 years ago. Also this German musician is dead, he killed himself, after apparently having done "something terrible".

The thing is, we don't know and we can interpret as much as we like, if there is no convincing evidence any story is good, anybody could have theoretically done it, even myself...... Where was I 25 years ago? I don't know, other than I wasn't in Ireland at that time.

• Advertisement

Don't worry. Hard to find info, he's like the invisible man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Wasn't just any old bottle of wine. Expensive French and not available locally. Many French take wine very seriously.

I'd say, Nick Foster did it. He qualifies as murderer: He's English and he is a writer. Bailey had the same qualifications.

To the point where he would just tweet something like this and leave it hanging? Surely he'll have to back it up at some point?

Nick Foster most likely has a commercial motive. Writing something, selling a book maximising sales figures, insisting that his theory is the only one or correct one..... The thing is, Nick Foster doesn't have anything new that we already know, and he certainly doesn't have any evidence.

Yes, that's his style. Just like the famous clue that only the killer will notice.

He's a slippery snake who really pissed off Sophies family at the trial and ever since has tried to nail IBs guilt. Unsuccessfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

What happened with Sophie's family at the trial? Not sure that's been mentioned on here before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

{poe's_law}

Nick Foster has almost certainly made more money from his book than Ian Bailey has from the few newspaper articles he wrote about the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier.

If Ian Bailey's black humour comment to Helen Callanan, former news editor of the Sunday Tribune, that he did it to resurrect his career can be construed as a confession should we consider that Nick Foster has had a greater benefit from her murder.

Nick Foster's story about the wine bottle,if true, is detail that only the murderer could know, much like Ian Bailey's 'confession' to Bill Fuller about seeing Sophie in the shop. How does Nick Foster claim to know something that only the murderer could know?

Nick Foster is also a writer and he is also English.

I think @tinytobe could be on to something here 

I'd say, Nick Foster did it. He qualifies as murderer: He's English and he is a writer. Bailey had the same qualifications.

Should Nick Foster now be considered a prime suspect - he seems to fit the bill as much as Ian Bailey does, if not more so.

{end_poe's_law}

Nick Foster wouldn't be hanging on the coat tails of the publicity from the two documentary series and trying to raise the profile of his book coming up to Christmas when people would be trying to think of gifts for people, would he?

• Advertisement

Well in their view, he double crossed them by reporting back to IB from the trial every day. I read a very detailed thing about it that I must try and find...

Truth is he was playing both sides. Naughty nick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement