Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black History Month Ireland, why?

Options

Comments

Well, if the ignorance is clear, it should be incredibly easy for you to pick out where posters have gone astray and shown their lack of knowledge. Let's start with four or five posts, since you've suggested this is commonplace on these threads. Unless this is another post with vague accusations and nothing to back it up?

The interesting thing is that we have nothing to base your superior knowledge on. How do we know that you're not equally ignorant or worse than these vague and formless posters who apparently post all this tripe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

My knowledge comes from a decent amount of research and this allows me to be able to point to historical facts rather than feelings.

One area that comes up again and again is the whole Civil Rights era in the US. Many posters have created fairytales in their heads about to make them feel like they'd be on the side of MLK but based on the logic they use to complain about anti-racism protests today they'd clearly be on the other side of history. They have no idea of MLK's beliefs about people with their same opinions that they express today, the 'violent' groups connected with many of the protests at that time, many of the very left wing views held by them, the 'violent' comments/speeches that were made etc etc.

Also, many posters show complete ignorance regarding the systematic racism that the black community endured post the civil rights era that led to the levels of inequality today.

If it wasn't for how much right wing talking points they use I wouldn't blame them for their lack of knowledge, sure most US people are shocked about their own history - as for many it was never part of their text books, they were actively lied to, and now a good portion of right wing wants to ban any students from ever learning about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

If you read the thread in the previous post I dealt with why black history in the US comes up so frequently on the forum and why I have those examples:

The ignorance is clear in the tripe that is posted in every race related thread from posters who do not know and do not care to learn about the history of the topics they are discussing (yes, it is regularly US focused because that is where these posters get their outraged white people talking points from).

What does that video have to do with the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

You can quote your previous post all you like.

I know you think you're right but tbh. The only racist comment I've seen on this thread is from yourself.

"outraged white people" if you want to see a real racist, maybe you should look in the mirror.

• Advertisement

So, that's a no then to providing evidence of this supposed ignorance, and where they've done it. Can't say I'm too surprised. Just more vague assertions that you know better.

<snipped my response, because there's really no point>,

This is just more soap-boxing that you know more than others, and anyone who disagrees with your "facts" is ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I wonder would a Japanese public TV station have a "black history month"?

I wonder does the Nigerian public TV station have a Celtic history month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

There is an awful lot of talk here that might get your Christmas covid pass revoked lads, diversity is our strength. Just saying lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Douglas is a very interesting figure. Could he fill a history month? Sure. Could his month long Irish visit fill an annual history month? not so sure. It is worth noting that there is a separate DouglassWeek event in February for him. It was on this year and is scheduled for next year as well. I dont know if it is going to be every year.

Post edited by Yellow_Fern on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed, as I predicted their "knowledge" is almost entirely US based and US biased with it. Bugger all to do with Black history outside that nation or within this one. In one post above they referenced "hispanic", a term that would have little or no resonance or relevance to an Irish audience* and now it's all about MLK and US civil rights and the aftermath of that. US race relations have almost zero relevance to Ireland thank christ and they're hardly the nation to look to for any sort of guidance on such matters, other than pretty much ignoring everything they do.

*One could maybe lump those from Brazil living here under that label, but the vast majority of Irish people wouldn't and would simply call then Brazilians as would Brazilians themselves.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I could understand this approach to Black history month, if it was talking about all the "black" nationalities that have come to Ireland, and the histories of those countries. What drove these people to come here, and why they haven't returned. What their cultures and philosophies consisted of, and rather than simply taking a footnote approach to the negatives (such as political corruption, communism, indoctrination, etc) but to discuss what these immigrants to Ireland found so wonderful in difference to what they left behind.

An evenhanded approach that would remind immigrants why Ireland was desirable, while also introducing Irish people to the various nationalities that have come here (to provide understanding of how/why their culture developed rather than the most superficial of explanations). But as you have said, the approach is to focus on the US, and usually when talking about "Black" people in the US, they only really consider the history of African Americans. There's little talk about the wide range of immigration that happened in the 50s/60s and who (often but not always) had a very different experience to AA there.

These shows connected with "Black history" tend to be political and pieces of propaganda. Which is a shame really, since they would contribute more to reducing racism or racial friction if they dealt with a more balanced viewpoint aimed at both Black people and other racial groups (not simply a collective guilt trip for White people). People seem to have forgotten that Black people can be very racist and tribal to each other... which is another indication that all of this is focused on the AA perspective, rather than dealing with the harsh realities of Black people all around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well I don't know if the Japanese have a black history month. But they have a Paddys day parade. Christ knows why.

The Japanese like to have reasons to party and get drunk (although they'll find plenty of ways to drink without a special occasion)... This is common throughout Asia. While there was no "official" paddys day in my Chinese city, the local government often cleared a street for the Irish people, and the Chinese who wanted to celebrate it, along with the crowds who came to laugh at the people painted up in green. (Wearing a green hat in China relates to a story of a wife cheating on her husband).

Why would I waste my time going through this disaster of a site to point out all the posts when there isn't a chance they would change your mind? There is a post showing ignorance of black history in Ireland that I just quoted in my last post and you haven't lifted a finger to push back on it.

You've also just proved my point by using "facts" - every bit of historical information I posted in my previous post is factual, there isn't two sides to it. You not choosing to do research and see that they are true or provide evidence that they are not is the exact same willful ignorance that I spoke about. 'Disagreeing' about a historical event just because you feel it isn't true is ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What part of my post did you not like ,it's all documented fact ,

Going to the usual your all raving white far right white supremacists does yourself no favours ....

This is Ireland not America ,we have no black history that doesn't predate the 90's ,

Doesn't matter which American came to visit it still doesn't equate to black Irish history

As you predicted?? 😂 I have already pointed you to my post in advance of your 'prediction' where and why I identified US black history as an area that posters here regularly show a lack of knowledge. I'm am very confident that the majority of poster's knowledge of every other area of black history is equally poor or even poorer.

I'd be all for ignoring US history if it wasn't for the amount of misinformation that seeps into the Irish media via right wing sources which then is used regarding Irish issues - as you see in every race thread here. I have repeatedly said that this effort should be far, far broader than the US but you also have to make the content somewhat attractive for people to engage with and like it or not, the Irish love things related to America.

Your asterisk is exactly why I used Hispanic, Brazilians fall into that group. The term mightn't have any 'resonance or relevance' to Irish audience but it makes far more sense than having a Black History, and Asian History, and a Brazilian History month - like some whataboutery merchants were seeking. There simply isn't enough months in the year to go through country by country and depending how you approach the content many times themes/issues cover multiple countries in the same continent.

'Documented fact' that there is no Irish black history in Ireland before the '90s? That is complete rubbish - several names have already been highlighted in this thread and mentioned in the series that show you were wrong.

@[Deleted User] , here is another example of that ignorance for you - this time here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Can I go there? How do we know the anecdote isn't an urban myth?

Van driver (obviously an especially ignorant person - sure isn't he a van driver?) stops in the middle of the usual congestion you'll find outside a primary school when the pupils are leaving, spits on a black kid and then quickly makes good his escape as the Lolli lets him through.

That added bit of high drama - the teacher almost gets the registration number, but not quite.

Can I be clear - absolutely have seen and heard Irish people using racist language. I just think that anecdote is all my eye.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well OK, let's look at that post and your take here:

I'd be all for ignoring US history if it wasn't for the amount of misinformation that seeps into the Irish media via right wing sources which then is used regarding Irish issues - as you see in every race thread here.

Whether one agrees with that post or not, not a single part of it has "seeped" from US right wing sources into Irish media. Ireland bears zero resemblance to Black trends or experiences in the US, or anywhere else for that matter. For example Ireland was the only EU nation with Jus soli citizenship until that was closed by a majority vote by the Irish electorate. No other EU country had it, or a similar experience with Black or other diasporas coming here.

And which Irish media are regurgitating right wing sources anyway? Irish media is pretty much entirely pro multiculturalism across the board. Unless you're one of those who are convinced that there's anything like an effective right wing movement in this country? Reds under the bed for the Right On generation. I hate to break it to you, there isn't. The joke that is the national party's entire voting bloc is well under a thousand people as elections have shown, their own party would just about fill an average classroom and going by their previous meetings at some point some of them would walk out because they went too mad in their rhetoric. The rest of the "right wing" in this country are to be found in blogs and bits and bobs on youtube and number in the dozens at best.

Then again I suspect you assume "right wing" when anything involving "race" or multiculturalism is questioned and doesn't go the accepted narrative route.

I have repeatedly said that this effort should be far, far broader than the US but you also have to make the content somewhat attractive for people to engage with and like it or not, the Irish love things related to America.

Well you seem to and accuse anyone who doesn't agree with your position of doing the same. Never mind that the content would have pretty much zero application to Irish culture and any Black culture within Ireland. It would be akin to having an Irish history month in Poland that only highlighted Bostonians.

Your asterisk is exactly why I used Hispanic, Brazilians fall into that group.

Not unless you're an uninformed American or falling for the same US-Irish seepage yourself. Hispanic as the very name suggests speaks of Spanish speaking populations in the Americas and almost exclusively an American notion(and usually aimed at central Americans). Brazil isn't an ex Spanish colony, they speak Portuguese which should give the game away.

'Documented fact' that there is no Irish black history in Ireland before the '90s? That is complete rubbish - several names have already been highlighted in this thread and mentioned in the series that show you were wrong.

Name five Black people in Irish history before 1990. If you can you can also be sure they got quite a bit of limelight too and fair enough. There were certainly a few African third level students in the mix before the 90's, more Middle Eastern folks on top and there were a few Black folks living here(one even got a mention in Peig IIRC as a "Blue man"), but they were an absolutely tiny minority(they're still well under 2% of the population) and to suggest that Ireland had a "Black history" before the 90's that deserves a month of US based and biased "race relations" is a leap that would win the gold in the imagination olympics. That's not a judgement either way, it's a plain fact.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭hawley

Brazilians are not Hispanic. They'd be insulted if you referred to them as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's fine we have another 11 months for the mostly white history - pretty much everything that matters in the history, both good and evil, was achieved by whites and we need to remind this to our children once a year for a full month. What can be wrong about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

pretty much everything that matters in the history, both good and evil, was achieved by whites

Not quite and certainly not by the palest of the Whites, the ones that 19th century colonialism by the British, French and so on decided were the top of the tree. As far as world history goes they were all largely backwaters until the reformation kicked in. To use the terminology of the slow; civilisation was kicked off by various ragheads and curry eaters and chinks, then a bunch of goat eating wops kicked off what drove European civilisation for a long time, who in turn were replaced in that role by a bunch of shortarse greaseballs who drove it for longer again(and both considered the "nordic" types as a bunch of amusing savages). Then for a time another bunch of ragheads revved things up, with even a few of our own bog hopping paddies in the mix on the western side of Europe. I have long found it amusing(and Foxtrol will like this) that particularly American White types almost entirely northern European in background seek to wear the golden cloak of a load of southern European wops they would otherwise not find White enough and have spread that idea beyond their shores. The British and the Germans were in that silly mix too.

That's a very American view alright. Anything south of Texas is "hispanic". Then again they did have a presidential candidate that thought Latin Americans spoke Latin. Well... I suppose they do in a way... 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I have no reason to disbelieve the anecdote and, as someone who had ten shades of shite kicked out of him in London for merely talking in an Irish accent in a pub, I can well believe that there would be people who'd spit on someone because of their skin colour.

However, the point remains that we shouldn't be jumping to any conclusions as to who the driver of the van was. Last time I checked, you could be any ethnicity or race and drive a van in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No particular issue with this apart from the odd attempts to shoehorn it into a narrative similar to that of the UK and US. These extended celebrations tend to meander all over the place and we should be grateful that the plan to stretch the St Patrick's Festival was shot down!

Er Mediterranean basin civilisation, persian civiliation, indian civilisatiion. Yes renaissance to 20th century is europeand(nordic, slavic and latin) but western civilisation has becone decadent and weak and lost its self confidence Case in point black history month. Make no mistake the next couple of centuries belong to east asia. Chinese already planning 1km long space ships while the west is devoting all its energies to BLM and tranny toilets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Saw an article from the Guardian stating that at least 1,000 African people lived in Ireland in the eighteenth century and 10,000 by mid nineteenth. The Irish name was a 'Fear Gorm' or 'Blue Man' I guess the fear Dubh was the Devil!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The new expression from this year is duine de dhath, people of colour.

Advertisement