Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N64/Megadrive Switch Online Expansion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Jafin

I don't think the price is too bad. The messaging was a bit confusing at first - I thought it was €40 on top of the €20 you already pay for a yearly sub, but €40 all in for a full year seems reasonable to me. That being said, I already don't play the NES and SNES games all that much, and I only played Animal Crossing for a few weeks so the included DLC for that means nothing to me, so I probably won't upgrade at the moment. Maybe in a year when we see how things have expanded I might take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Can you split the family subs out to anyone or do they have to be in your household?

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Jafin

I'm pretty sure it covers up to 8 accounts and they don't have to all be in the same house or anything. 8 strangers could just get a family sub together.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I share a family sub with my nephew, niece, brother and girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Unless there is a clampdown like Spotify did the family sub sharing is definitely the way to go. The thing I'm curious about is will there be a forced upgrade to the new online service or could you potentially buy now and stack a bunch of individual or family subs for say the next 36 months and see how this plays out.

We may see a PSN type system with games added periodically later down the line, I need the online myself for Pokemon and the occasional play of Animal Crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There's no forced upgrade to the expansion pack according to the direct

Am I reading this right that anybody who wishes to upgrade to the expansion from the regular will get a discount equivalent to 5c or 9c for every remaining day on the original sub?

So if you got switch online for €20 6 months ago you get €9 (180 X 0.05) off the expansion and have to pay a further €31 for 12 months access? In other words you pay €51 for 6 months regular + 12 months expansion. So it costs a Euro more than usual

Also at the bottom of the page

no discount can be applied if your current membership was purchased with a download code.

So anybody that bought a code in a shop doesn't get a discount?

Post edited by Red Silurian on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

This out today or tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Says "launching October 26th" so tomorrow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yayy!

More ways to spend money on stuff I already own!

Woohoo!

• Advertisement

Midnight tonight I would guess

Strange that they haven't allowed the process to start yet

Can you still get the n64 controller?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was kinda interested in this but the bundling of DLC pushes the price a fair bit beyond what I'm willing to pay. So it'll be back to Gunstar Heroes on the Mega Drive collection and maybe looking up N64 emulators for me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, come on!

I already own them...

On the N64...

and every other console they released them on, like the Wii.

Each and every last one of them? And they all still play on N64/Wii/Mega Drive? Nice one!

I'll bet you don't have online functionality with them though do you?

Yeah to me a tenner a year isn't a whole lot of money for what we get but each to their own

Online functionality doesn't interest me at all, playing them at NTSC speeds does though.

Waverace 64 at NTSC speeds and rumble is amazing, PAL with no rumble... still good but not superb

Never liked wave race... Maybe it's because of the slowness we had in the PAL version

I think it represents good value myself

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't own Animal Crossing, so doubling the cost of the sub (got my current sub via a code so no discount for me because of course not) to get at a few nicely-presented N64 ROMs on the Switch that I might well tire of in under an hour each doesn't win me over, because that's easily one or two indie games off my backlog instead (either Switch or Steam, though given Steam sale pricing that money could go even further...)

As you say though, everyone has their own way of determining what's this is worth to them. If I'd played the N64 games before and knew I'd enjoy revisiting them the price would probably be more palatable 🙂

• Advertisement

I get that but it's a tenner a year, not exactly bank breaking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Lads, is the expansion coming out between now and 3AM like a certain article suggests or is it gonna be a set time for GMT?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Lots of chat on the interwebs that input lag is terrible, OoT supposedly the worst of the lot. In response about as many saying it's fine for them, docked or handheld.

So possibly crap emulation, or possibly just drama Llamas, clearly seems like ymmv.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

It's out now (needs a firmware update first). I just renewed in September so the upgrade to my family membership is €41.

Going to hold off for now. I reinstalled Animal Crossing last week, played for 10 minutes and decided "nah, I'm not coming back to this".

It's not good value unless you want the AC content.

We renewed about 6 months ago but used a code so no discount, which we are a little bit sore about no doubt, there's 7 in our family so it cost us €5 each back then.

If we upgrade today we have to pay a tenner each, but because we don't get a discount we lose the ~€2.50 so let's call it effectively €12.50 if we upgrade

For that we get the base version of switch online, which would cost a fiver anyway. So for 3 services (N64, Animal Crossing and Mega Drive) we are paying €7.50

Let's assume we have no interest in Animal Crossing or Mega Drive games so €7.50 gets us 12 months of access to 9 games. with a further 7 in the pipeline. I'm also going to assume we would be interested in playing half of these games because, let's be fair, no game will please everybody

So we are talking €7.50 for ~4 retro games at launch and 8 after the library gets expanded, which is about €1 per game for the years access

So for me that's worth it

With kids involved, the majority of the burden of payment is on me, so it's not as straight forward.

The pricing I see is that the sub I'm on (which i already barely use enough to really make it worthwhile) is €19.99 and the Expansion is €39.99. Single-user sub.

I don't mean to be rude but for me, the opinion of folk I don't know on the internet carries remarkably little weight when it comes to assessing whether something is worth the asking price. Hope you enjoy it, it sounds like a better value proposition for you than for me 🙂

If you don't use the original much then there's very little point in getting the expansion so not much sense made in your case

No definitely not as straight forward, you would need to weigh up if your kids would use the DLC/N64/MD games for one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I'd hold off on spending money on this.

Megadrive emulation is handled by M2 and supposedly is really solid as usual by them.

N64 emulation is horrendous.

So what we have is transparencies not being handled correctly. Fog effects not being handled correctly. Lighting not being handled correctly. Texture filtering is quad point filtering instead of the N64's three point filtering so textures look wrong. It's also really inaccurate with games glitching due to timing issues. This is pretty much where N64 emulation was back in 2000. Plenty of lag as well apparently.

Advertisement