Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a Relay to connect boiler stove to existing heating system

Options
  • 06-10-2021 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Hi all, first of all I'm not a sparks so forgive my ignorance. We are currently getting a boiler stove installed. This involves connecting the plumbing and some electrical to our existing heating system. The Plumber has requested that our electrician installs a spur at the location of the plumbing system and a "Relay" from the newly installed pump and thermostat to our hot press. A wire that goes from the pump to the motorised valves and tells the gas boiler that the boiler stove is taking over when it gets to a certain temp. Is this a 4 core wire that connects two the pump and runs to the wiring centre in the hotpress or is a "Relay" something else. Anyone any experience with this type of thing that they could share. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It sonds simple enough. Either the bolier heats the water or the stove heats the water. The relay provides an interlock that ensures that when the stove is heating the water the corresponding pump runs and the boiler is switched off. I assume that the stove pump is started with a stat and this stat also energizes the relay that switches off the bolier?

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

I did it on my setup. Stove pipe Stát brings on relay. N/c contact on relay opens in the gas boiler control loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

A relay is a fancy word for a switch.

Ultimately it depends on the requirement. I have this in my house house a second one I've rented

What you don't want is the circulation pump of the boiler working against the circulation pump of the stove boiler. So, thebrelay ensure if one pump is on, power to the other is cut off.

Which one is working depends on what pipe is heated first..one near boiler, or one near stove

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Sorry guys, been off Boards for a while, only seen your responses today. The boiler stove system consists of two 8m pumps and heat hero box and a pipe stat set to 55 degrees (all to the right of the chimney breast). The pipe stat has a two core wire coming from it about a meter long not connected to anything yet, theres a fused spur there to power the pumps, so I presume thats all the connections are needed for the two pumps. In the hot press upstairs there is 3 motorised valves and an EPH wiring centre. Does the two core wire from the pipe stat get connected to a newly installed relay in the hot press and then a wire from the relay to the EPH wiring centre?. I wouldn't touch any of this myself, we have a sparks who has worked in my house on and off and he's a good guy but doesn't know what to do here, he has asked several work friends and I have spoke to another sparks and all stumped. Is there any way I could get a wiring diagram for this do you think? thanks very much for your comments and replies, we are in a bit of a pickle here with this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Your answer is above. A stat is simply a temperature operated switch, all you want it to do is activate the relay (which shuts off the boiler) when the stove makes the pipe hot. Most likely the three motorised valves should work as they always did to switch various zones on / off as required. I'm not sure why you have two pumps, it would be best to ask the plumber when they need to run.

I am open to correction but I think that the EPH system requires a monthly subscription for use of the app. If correct I would avoid as there are so many alternative systems that are 100% free to use.

Post edited by 2011 on

• Advertisement

^^^ This is very basic / fundamental stuff that starts with understanding how you want the system to work. The wiring controls are designed around this. If unclear on how it should operate then talk to the plumber. If incorrectly installed it will be a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Two pumps because there is a heat exchanger connecting stove to gas system. The way I did my one, I have a relay to lock out the gas boiler, another to bring on the zone valves together directly, as you want them to stay open while the stove is going, and 2 pumps, all switched on by the stove pipe Stát.

Advertisement