Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir blocking my work email

Options
  • 26-10-2021 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

Anyone have an issue with Eir blocking certain IP addresses?

My work email - webmail and outlook work fine when i'm connected on the work LAN or WiFi, when connected to a Sky network or connecting to my phone using hotspot, it just seems to be when connected to Eir that I'm blocked.

I spoke to support - they were not great at level 1 support, but are escalating it and will be back to me in about an hour or so.... a day later still no reply.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

does webmail work at home?

outlook might not be enabled for outside the LAN, have you a work vpn?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cgrvy

Yes, webmail will work at home, it will work on any network besides my home Eir one. Its the same with Outlook.

There is no work VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭feelings

Is it only Outlook that is not working when connected to Eir (at home)? You mention webmail and outlook but you seem to suggest only outlook is the problem in your last post.

Are both sending and receiving blocked? What error are you getting in Outlook?

The webmail address will not connect when I'm on the Eir connection.

I cannot ping the mail IP address, nor can I make a telnet connection to the mail server. I can ping and telnet the when connected on any other network.

Outlook will not work either, getting an SMTP error.

It looks like this one IP address is blocked on the Eir network.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

theres your answer, outlook is not configured for use off the lan

you need to fill in the server details in outlook, or ask IT to do it for you

• Advertisement

Actually it looks like it is configured to work off the LAN. The server details are in Outlook and it works perfectly fine everywhere except on an Eir connection. Nothing changes within outlook or on the laptop between trying on different network.

It is the same for webmail, the site will connected without issue on any network except for Eir.

So to me it looks like Eir is blocking this IP address. I've checked the router and there is nothing in the firewall to suggest it is local to that device.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ignore Outlook for the moment, there's too many variables involved. If webmail isn't working, Outlook isn't likely to either.

What happens when you go to your webmail address on the Eir network? Are you able to ping the webmail server?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Why is nobody reading any of the OP's posts?

It's perfectly clear it has nothing to do with Outlook not being configured, and clearly an issue with Eir. When using other ISPs, everything works fine, it's just when using Eir.

OP's first post:

webmail and outlook work fine when i'm connected on the work LAN or WiFi, when connected to a Sky network or connecting to my phone using hotspot, it just seems to be when connected to Eir that I'm blocked.

OP's second post:

it will work on any network besides my home Eir one. Its the same with Outlook

OP's third post:

I cannot ping the mail IP address, nor can I make a telnet connection to the mail server. I can ping and telnet the when connected on any other network.

OP - afraid, I've nothing to add for now that I can think of that you haven't already done. Will be interesting to see if Eir can help.

Webpage cant be reached.

Cant ping the address when on the Eir network. I can when on other networks.

Thanks dotsman. Eir rang this morning to say we should contact Microsoft! I didn't take the call - so trying them again asking wtf!

• Advertisement
Advertisement