Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What MPG are you getting from your vehicle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

I bought a tub of it...... :-) I dont really keep a track of what ltrs per 100km I do apart from the onboard but sure will see if any good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭jmreire

Amyl Nitrate.....I hope that you did not inhale too much of it???? Model airplane's were not the only things that went to great heights on it. The only additive that I've used so far in the w212 is the old reliable Red X diesel, and so far, I have not noticed anything better or worse, but then again, up to this travel has been restricted. We will see how the consumption goes when I can start seeing 6th and 7th gear appearing on the dash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Obviously not we knew the dangers involved using these chemicals. Tried Redex on various cars over the years and never noticed any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

5.4 litres per 100kms is over 51mpg

6.4 is about 43mpg

Yours has the 722.6 transmission, which is the 5 speed box. The 722.9 is 7 speed, so it depends on which box was fitted and to which model. There's lots out there who would be of the opinion that the 722.6 box is the better one, but I guess thats relative to personal experience. My 2010 Eclass had the 722.6 5 speed, and I never had a problem with it, but the newer 2014 Eclass has the 722.9 trans with 7 gears. Problem is where fuel consumption is concerned, with the 722.9 trans, where I drive it rarely see's 6th gear,,its predominantly in 5th, which is 2 gears lower than its top, while the 722.6 would cruise happily in 4th on the same roads, just one gear below its top gear. So it was marginally better on fuel. But for good consumption, nothing beats the 2003 Audi A6 1.9 TDI Sports I had before the MB. On exactly the same roads, same driving, it was returning an ave of 5.5 Ltrs / 100 KLms. The MB fill to fill actual consumption over the last 5'000 Klms was 8.2 Lts / 100 Klms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Stuck a hybrid turbo and a new map on my 330d... It can go as low as 9mpg or as high as 38mpg depending on my right foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ofcork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sweet! Google was auto using US mpg. Why do they have to be so different! Delighted with that now, far more than I thought I was getting! @jmreire sound for the info. There's so many different types and versions, I do find it hard to find info specific to my one. Good to hear I have the possibly better box!

There's a simple calculation for fuel consumption. And its 100% correct. Fill tank, note the Klms. Drive on until next refill. Check the Nr of KLms driven, then divide that into the Nr of Ltrs filled and multiply the answer by 100. Result will give you the correct Nr of Ltrs per 100 KLm's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That wouldn't work for me, I rarely let it go below a quarter, something I was told years ago about the bottom of the tank having particles that settle down there and letting it go nearly empty brings them into the engine or something. Probably not true, but it's how I work!

I was just too silly to realise I was using 'Merican conversion!

• Advertisement

That will not matter how much fuel is in the tank to do this calculation...its the fuel used is what counts. In my 220, I can expect the low fuel warning icon after I pass the 600 Klm mark ( but its only happened to me once ) Anything between quarter and half full is refill time. On average, I refill after travelling 500 Klms. You do not have to empty the tank, but you have to fill it 100% on both ocassions for the formula to work. I filled mine last week, and have only driven so far, 50 or 60 Klms, and all secondary hilly roads..4th-5th gear mainly, but later this week I will be doing about 200 Klms mainly motorway driving, so after that, I'll fill the tank again, and do the calculation. I'm expecting better than its usual 7-9.5 Ltrs per 100 Klms. So we will see. And as you mention low fuel levels risking bringing "Risky" fuel up through the system,,,( which is true, BTW. Water can condense and sink to the bottom.....which is why the intank filter will only take fuel from about 1/2 " above the bottom of the tank) But even more important in my view is to pick a fuel station, and only buy from there. Stations with a high turnover are your best bet for quality fuel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,841 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK It's not going to be 100% accurate unless the pump you're filling from cuts off at the same point. IIRC, they detect a pressure buildup to trigger cutoff and I suspect they're not all doing it at the same point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Joe 90

You can do it over several thankfulls, just keep a record of how much you have put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I might have posted here before but the new boards forum software has erased my memory of previous posts 😅

I've been measuring by brimming the tank for over 4 years so this is pretty accurate.

Nissan 180sx 1995 - 24 to 27 mpg consistently.

Nissan Skyline 1992 - 19 to 22 mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

The 1.4 Petrol Skoda Octavia is doing even better this week. Averaging between 5.4 and 5.5 ltr per 100 km. 😊

Post edited by JCN12 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I can't find my previous post in this thread (if I made one?), but I've had a 2012 Prius Plug-in for about five years and overall I'm averaging 3.44 l/100 km or 83 MPG (my own measurements).

Somewhere around 35-40% of my driving is in EV mode, range on a full charge is about 16 km - it doesn't seem like much now but was typical for first generation PHEVs, and it might have lost a mile or two over the 9 years.

I use Dipetane most of the time as these cars can suffer from blocked EGR valves/coolers and it should help with that (plan is to inspect/clean around 100k miles, it's at about 82k now), though I haven't really observed any obvious difference in fuel consumption.

I know this site is dying on its feet but hopefully you'll see my question. Is it ok to use dipetane on a petrol engine? I thought it was for diesel/ kerosene only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Definitely fine to use dipetane in a petrol engine.

Not your ornery onager

Thanks for replying, I've just recently bought an IV superb, would it be ok with the VW 1.4 engine, I don't know if it has an egr tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Brand new puma 1.0 eco boost mild hybrid doing about 8l/100km which is 35mpg I think city driving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

wtf

So you buy a very efficient car, then drive the absolute bollocks out of it to get those figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Dartz

Between 15 and 11L/100km on average. Maybe 10L/100km if I'm doing a steady 80-100kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Alright, I LOL’d 😂

Jaguar XE 3.0 V6 supercharged, doing about 8l to 8.5l / 100km on a mixed 220km run (some city, some motorway, lot of A road).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

for city driving, seems about right for a petrol car. Probably a lot of stop/start traffic which will never give good figures

It's a myth they aren't super efficient, I was getting the same from a 1 litre dsg Octavia, it was a thirsty sow, best days work I ever did was getting rid of the fcukur. I hated that car with a passion...

What about all city? Closer to 11 I'd imagine. 😉

Still cruising in the rotary I see😎, lovely car in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

9 and crumbs. Cruise @ 50-52 km/h works wonders.

The real killer is the bit of motorway on my commute, if it’s clear. 2 tunnels, and so I just can’t help myself 😉 An easy 15 there, especially if I play with the paddles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If I had a hybrid that did even 30 miles on electric the gallon of petrol in the tank would get be 500 mpg

Advertisement