Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just on methane.

recent isotope analysis of actual methane in the atmosphere has shown that the majority is coming from fracking and natural gas extraction and not from ruminating animals.

It’s an inconvenient truth for vegans and the fossil fuel industries as it proves Cattle aren’t the major source.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

educate me so? because the more i google, the more i find stuff like this:

There are six major sources of atmospheric methane: emission from anaerobic decomposition in (1) natural wetlands; (2) paddy rice fields; (3) emission from livestock production systems (including intrinsic fermentation and animal waste); (4) biomass burning (including forest fires, charcoal combustion, and firewood burning); (5) anaerobic decomposition of organic waste in landfills; and (6) fossil methane emission during the exploration and transport of fossil fuels. Obviously, human activities play a major role in increasing methane emissions from most of these sources. Especially the worldwide expansion of paddy rice cultivation, livestock production and fossil fuel exploration have increased the methane concentration in the atmosphere.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02208779

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Like every area of fossil fuel consumption, agriculture needs a reboot. The organic guys are ahead of their time in many respects and they and the “regenerative” guys need to be given the platform. The vegan narrative should of never gotten the exposure it got.

someone who I can’t remember quoted “ you should never argue with an idiot because they will drag you down to their level and beat you on experience”

We should of never engaged with them and Teagasc fitting strapped canisters to cattle to measure farts and belches was so absurd looking back I can’t fathom how we stood for it…

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm not in farming but live in very rural Ireland, just listening to morning Ireland who've dedicated practically the entire show to this absolute bolloxology.

The country is in Shyte financially, people struggling to heat their homes, cost of Fuel for transport thru the roof , I'm sick listening to this climate emissions target Shyte more so when those explaining how it's to be achieved would give an cow a run for their money when it comes to releasing hot air.

I make an effort, I absolutely care about climate change but I'm afraid I've quite enough things to worry about that affect my life Now as I suspect 100"s of thousands of fellow citizens do also.

I depend on Turf for example, made some enquires about Solar, Heat Pumps and mother of God the grants available are ridiculous and the hoops a person has to jump through to get them is ludicrous. Notwithstanding I'd probably have to remortgage to install an air to heat pump system, I'd then be ridden silly with electrical price increases.

I certainly don't expect a total hand out but government policy on trying to encourage people to change, is all over the place and maddening at times.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

If you google enough you will find the answers that suit your narrow minded narrative. Essentially if we had gas fracking up the road from a burning oil well beside a landfill next to a plastics incinerator between two fireworks factories the answer would be…. Drum roll………. veganism and competitive cycling!!!

And I’m inclined to agree partially, but there’s a strong divide of haves and have nots!

Yes, I hear you 😏 I'm just having a morning rant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'googling enough' in this instance was simply searching for 'sources of atmospheric methane' and the above article was the very first link. it's not like i went on a deep dive to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We used to be very green and climate conscious in our house.

Even 20 years ago we were recycling everything and only put out bins of things we couldnt recycle once every 2 or 3 months.

We drive an electric car for any journeys that we can. We use public transport when we can.

We like going on holidays though since we live on a rainy island so do fly 2 or 3 times a year. But we used to buy carbon credits when we flew. Stopped that as we pay plenty of "green" tax now elsewhere.

The last year or two we realized we are idiots.

We are making all this effort and yet costs and taxes in the name of the environment are just piling on every year (Fuel, electricity, ever increasing bin charges, even told at one point we werent throwing away enough so we had to pay more bin charges). Nothing we have ever done seems to count for anything.

We are so close to just saying "fcuk the environment", nothing we do makes a difference and we are paying all these taxes anyway no matter what we do so why bother anymore. This whole green agenda is just an excuse to charge us more in the name of the environment.

• Advertisement

Exactly how I feel and I suspect we're by no means alone 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

what amazes me is the deafening silence of rural politicians. I think ff /fg are in for it in next election. the sinn fein people are going to clean up. the amount of people who are thinking of the unthinkable vote is unreal. Jackie Cahill is history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

Ahhh yessss one of those very good they do PhD certification on google too 👍😉

Google away there come back to us when you have any further information please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

"A little learning is a dangerous thing" -Alexander Pope - 1709.

Indeed 🤣 and that stands for anyone myself included ...... Maybe it's me your refering to and fair enough if so but with all the talk and tooing and froo ing I don't know if my old brain has any storage left 😁😉

grand so, will do

also

if you have a link which shows vegetation primarily decomposes into CH4 and not CO2, i would genuinely like to read it. because smarmy responses aren't exactly winning hearts and minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

eamon Ryan gave an excellent overview of the challenges on RTÉ with Claire Byrne earlier - well worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

But the "science is set" you are a "climate denier" and a "science denier"

This is the strategy that is being used to shut down debate and stop people looking into the minutiae of the calculations, when this is done the whole carbon counting system is full of holes. That's why name calling is used to frighten eminent scientists from properly scrutinizing the figures.

Ireland is being penalised for having a relatively low population density because the carbon counting system is on a per capita basis, therefore countries with dense populations have a lot more people to spread the carbon across. There is no penalty for increasing your population even though the primary cause of increased carbon in the atmosphere is the explosion in the global population from 1 billion people to 8 billion over the last century

Eamon Ryan is a blithering idiot he's a mouth piece for a fringe of society who has an even more fringe element who now have the stage and can't quite believe it 🙄🙄

• Advertisement

Ya this is very true the zealots will push there thoughts and their views through at any cost the fact that a lot of the so called science behind it is flawed and proven to be incorrect doesn't bother them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

search for information on isotopes 12c and 13c of Carbon w.r.t. carbon in trees since the dawn of the industrial age.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

we have a few hundred cheif zealots in this country making all the running followed by a few thousand Indian zealots with one sided state duplicity and any counter arguments get lost.

Not to mention all the money that's pushing this agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

the problem is we have fiana fail and fine gael hanging onto power by their finger tips with the help of the greens. Afraid to rock the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

but it will come back to bite them in next election when the cost of living goes ballistic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

I wouldn't worry bout the turf. If it's stopped just get wood...plenty around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

We can debate opinions till the cows come home, so a few facts.

Fact 1 - Ireland has the lowest carbon footprint in Europe for Dairying.

Fact 2 - There are 8 billion hungry mouths on the planet. Experts predict that world population will level off at circa 11 billion.

Fact 3 - dairying and cattle farming is a great hedge against extreme weather events like prolonged rain and drought which destroy normal harvests of grain, vegetables.

Fact 4 - people gotta eat.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I'm not at all worried about turf 😏 and I also use wood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Climate change, pollution, and massive overconsumerism and waste are very real things. The Government/business/individuals are and will have to deal with these problems.

ATM we have about 70% of non summer electricity generated by wind.

And that's about it really...the other things we've done are tiny and almost insignificant if worthwhile.

We have to change...to what..?

1. Full renewable energy.

2. Massive cut in consumerism and those things that are consumed must be sustainable.

3. Plant a **** load of trees.

4. Stop all pollution.

5. Go fully organic.

6. Cop the f##k on.

Advertisement