Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiking.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Nobody called anyone a liar. Now you are just getting hysterical. Read the posts. I answered you- you didnt like the answer and then chose to adopt deflection tactics.

So now you have moved outside the domain of clubs to "...nearly everywhere, every weekend...". This is terrible- should I be worried? Do I need to shakedown my employees? Should I quizz the local creche?

So let me get this right:-

You are saying with complete confidence no less and without any shred of evidence whatsoever that spiking takes place (we are still talking about drugs here and not volleyball, right?) in nearly every club around the country on a Saturday night because...well..the world is a horrible place so it is. Right you are.

Claiming that I have no evidence..oh the irony is completely lost on you...there is no evidence and you my friend have just proved my point. I have repeatedly asked you to back up your statement and you cannot do it... so I really do not have to do anything- you have done it for me. But then again, who needs imperical evidence when you have such complete confidence....😂

The notion of mass regular spikings "nearly everywhere" is exactly the type of nonsense that piss off the hosptial staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I didn’t see anyone claiming that it doesn’t ever happen. But I will certainly not give credit to a dramatic publicised claim that it is a widespread pandemic without any statistics or evidence being provided to back this up.

Allowing “wannabe victims” to publicise their ordeals is imo doing the real victims a disservice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just wondering if this has made it on to any IRish radio discussions recently?

Normally when a topic like this becomes one of the trending items, something like the Last Word would do a piece on it.

Would be interesting to hear someone from A&E Dept come on, and tell us about all the spiked people they are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not that I've seen or heard as of yet. I do remember that the last time this particular moral panic was popular that a consultant in A+E medicine was on Irish TV, fairly sure it was tv3/VM news.

He categorically stated that in his time of A+E practice he has never encountered or heard tell of a confirmed case of narcotic spiking.

The most prolific known rapist in the UK, used GHB to incapacitate his victims. He 1st convinced them to come home with him, so he had control of them and the situation when the drug kicked in. A review of his modus operandi gives a good overview of the the degree of control a predator needs before even GHB is a practical tactic. Isolation, drunkenness and risky behaviour were met with a "good" Samaritan who then manipulated a situation to fully control and administer GHB in a safe(for the attacker) location.

I've also been having a trawl through JSTOR and PubMed and the widest study and review of studies I can find is from 2017.

Plenty of meat in the review itself, but from the abstract.

This comprehensive review suggests that alcohol intoxication combined with voluntary drug consumption presents the greatest risk factor for DFSA, despite populist perceptions that covert drink-spiking is a common occurrence.

Would strongly refute the notion that there is any widespread spiking going on. This is a persistent trope that recurs every few years. What's different regarding this particular rerun? A period of prolonged nightclub closures, social distancing and far more likely than any illicit application of GHB? A lowered alcohol tolerance from far less actual pubbing/clubbing and the enthusiastic drinking of youth 😉 are far, far more likely to place a person at risk than any likelihood of a stranger managing to both spike your drink in public (or stick some magic needle into you) and there subsequent ability to manage a person affected by such a substance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The point is to get somebody more drunk than they plan/want to get. Somebody who plans to have say 3 or 4 pints, but a vodka gets slipped in two or three times, so they end up drinking much more than they believe, and their awareness and judgement suffers correspondingly.

Ofthe people who claim to have been spiked, I would guess that those who have had some drug administered is very rare, but those secretly slipped extra alcohol is less rare, and of course there are plenty of those who just drank too much all by themselves.

The “they only had alcohol in their system” argument doesn’t address that middle group.

I guess the question is when someone says "Oh my drink was spiked last night" what do they mean:

A. Somebody slipped in a vodka behind my back (you would have to think that would be a close 'friend' in the same social group on the basis of having some ill conceived harmless craic e.g. moronic students)

B. Someone slipped in a drug/stimulant- far more insidiuous and devious

You would think A would be be more prevalent than B.

Shur nearly everyone is saying that. I said it too here earlier about myself when younger.

People keep posting "spiking? More like too much booze" as if it's really original and they're really clever. When pretty much everyone who posted before them has said it.

We've well established that that can be the case. Well established it. The question here is whether there actually is spiking women going on at the moment. Try to give women the benefit of the doubt instead of dismissing them as lying, devious, attention seeking shrews - or only liking what they say when it's honest. 😉

Imagine if it was your daughter/sister/girlfriend...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Exactly this. Thank you.

It's the complete dismissal of women which is the issue here from people who have never been spiked in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd agree that A is more prevant than B (and still much less prevalent than them just drinking too much all by themselves). And of course, somebody who was spiked with more alcohol might never find that out, and imagine it was some other substance.

In my case it was 'harmless craic' from friends, but I'm not sure it can always be attributed to 'harmless craic' really. There's nothing new about very drunk people being preyed on for sexual assault or robbery. It's not that hard to imagine how somebody could take the extra step to bring about that drunkenness in the first place.

• Advertisement

"Imagine if it was your daughter/sister/girlfriend..."

Men don't need to imagine this in order to be empathetic to women.

No it's the dismissal of the notion that there is some epidemic of spiking going on. As if the risk has "spiked" recently if that's the right term. General consensus is that the problem is currently being greatly exaggerated and the bandwagon effect of social media is causing people to misjudge the risks to be way bigger than they actually are.

I am curious. I have gone back and reread the article.

Now, I am only going on the contents of the article but I cannot see any mention whatsoever of people being taken to hospital and tested to confirm 'spiking'. There is nothing medical to back up these claims but strangely we have some pictures of basically a passed out student on the stairs. Any blood/urine tests?

If this poor girl was so paralyised then why was she not taken to hospital? Why was an ambulance not called? But yet they took photos!! There is no mention anywhere of the nature of this supposed drug/substance.

The article is full of vague generalities based on anecdotes from pissed up students.

Any suspicions of spiking should be taken seriously of course but this reeks.

“Imagine if it was your daughter/sister/girlfriend”

why? What difference does this make?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why are so many here so vocal about this being too much drink and not spiking ?

Seriously, what difference does it make to anyone here how they got into the state they got into ?

Why all the grandstanding about how it's their own fault for drinking too much and that they were not actually spiked ?

Why all the judgemental posts ?

What skin is it off our noses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Funny that out of all the sex specific posts here, you take issue with mine and not those who are calling women liars.

Poor attempt at deflection, try harder.

Oh except it is a deflection.

Spiking is very much more of an issue for women, than it is for men.

That's not to say men don't get spiked, of course they do, but nobody else in this thread is talking about men. If you genuinely believe I'm the only one talking about women here then you're genuinely deluded.

You don't believe it though. Like I said, deflection. It's not gas lighting when you can be read like an open book.

And honkey? Seriously? Look forward to those who oppose racism aimed at white people oppose that. Or maybe they won't because they actually don't care.

You going to address the honkey remark or do you need a dictionary yourself?

You were dragging this off topic by making me out to be a sexist when many others in this thread are referring to women as well, yet your faux-outrage was only brought to my post for some weird reason.

It is absolutely a deflection because you have contributed f*ck all to the actual discussion. All you have done is call me a sexist and a white rat.

Also, this isn’t gaslighting. You keep talking about dictionaries yet you haven’t a clue what two phrases mean whatsoever.

• Advertisement

That tweet is actually a prime example how this whole topic is being treated. Person claims to have been spiked, but does not answer any questions when people ask for the venue, or which drug had been administered. Valid questions which are either ignored or shot down angrily by other posters, who feel offended on her behalf. As a consequence all people start filling the gaps and hysteria spreads.

Love the “I am ashamed to be the same species as males” comment, because naturally the perpetrator must have been a man.

This is not a men versus women debate. Why do we need to divide ourselves over every issue like this? I think there should be a healthy degree of scepticism, but this doesn't equate to not believing the person. People just want a little bit of solid evidence before going along with the claims of spiking? Why? Because most people at some point in their lives, when young, have drank too much and used the "spiking" excuse as a way to absolve themselves of any blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

spiking seem to be a non-issue for both genders . See medical evidence links. The healthcare staff must be sick of the people claiming to have been spiked

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19527282/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28284121/

"This comprehensive review suggests that alcohol intoxication combined with voluntary drug consumption presents the greatest risk factor for DFSA, despite populist perceptions that covert drink-spiking is a common occurrence"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tweets are forms of evidence now.

She refuses to name either the bar it happened in, or the "multiple, strong drugs" she was spiked with. Something very off with her story.

To paraphrase from the Simpsons, "her tears say more than real evidence ever could". If you don't believe her you are a sexist bigot or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

I was only discussing this the other day with friends. Firstly, spiking is disgraceful, and any reports should be taken seriously.

Likewise, the outcome of those reports should also be assessed. How many who say they've (and no doubt legitimately believe themselves) that they've been spiked, turn out to have no drugs other than alcohol in their system.

I also think it strangely coincidental that after a year and a half of lockdown, the rise in reported spikings just happens to coincide with people returning to nightclubs for the first time in a long time and perhaps overdoing it.

Again, people shouldn't confuse this with "victim blaming" as clearly, when there is a victim, in no way is it their fault in the first place.

It is however, crucial to establish the amount of victims, the toxicology reports from those victims, establishing a method of delivery or ingestion, and then a suspect.

Because there's no point presuming suddenly there's a huge increase in men sourcing needles and drugs from..somewhere..and then writing headlines and tweets that achieve nothing in terms of catching anyone, whether real or imagined.

If people are serious about catching those who spike, then surely, a blood analysis is the first step, to establish what drug was used, in order to prove, in conjuction with cctv or witnesses, that a drug was delivered to this person for criminal purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

• Advertisement

Whoa, sorry would have replied earlier but I was spiked at work. Here's a picture, so it's definitely true.

Advertisement