Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Shouldn't have to create a course for it. It's the Golf Ireland portal, all the Irish golf courses should be in there and all the tee boxes.

But yeah, good shout. Best way to put a stop to that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’m gonna do that when I play sawgrass and bayhill 😀

it was Ballyliffen

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Was playing the weekend with my brother and 2 of our mates. Conversation came up about the new WHS.

My brother was saying that for those that don't submit their cards after entering the competition they will automatically get a score of 36 points. I couldn't believe it.

Anybody else hear of this rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

Club committees have a few options when players don't return their scores after a round. Applying a penalty score would be one of those options.

My own club have said they will suspend repeat offenders from club competitions for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Especially when you're playing a top course like that you'll want to record it. I can't think why the club wouldn't allow it. Maybe they felt people would sandbag scores in casual rounds, but it's a bad decision from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

As Paulos said, I’ll add that Penalty Scores can be high or low, depending on what the committee think the intent (for not handing in a card) was.

Yeah, it's totally down to the club to decide what to do with NRs. The default is that they don't go on your handicap record at all. Initially when it started, NRs were entered on your handicap record as net double bogey for each hole. But that was dropped in favour of just omitting it completely.

Yea it was totally daft to stick down net doubles everywhere. The cheaters would love that. Register for the round, play well and keep the card in their pocket as they tip on home 🤔

Glad to see that’s not the case anymore and there is discretion with the club.

I know it often happens that you might come after a number of holes because the weather is brutal, or injury or emergency or maybe you are going to well, or to poorly, or some other reason……

so if a round is not completed for whatever reason, they are all different and while it’s right to allocate some of them against a handicap record, maybe it should not always be the case, and when it is, the treatment is probably going to depend on the situation.

however, brutal for the handicap secretary! ☹️

I do have to hold my hand up though because I think I recall once a good few years ago playing an open and only realised when I was at home that I still had my card in my pocket. 😳

That last one can be so annoying. I've had a few occasions where people won competitions, but were DQ because they forgot to drop in their card. Most recent being just a week ago. Score was in the computer, but we insist on having the card as well.

Btw, you really should put in your card for Ballyliffen imo. As a h/cap sec, I'd have no problem doing that for a member.

Ah I’ll cheat on that one I think. 26 points. It will only make my index worse 😩

anyway, don’t have the card anymore, it got handed in for the competition on the day. I didn’t keep another physical card, just have the scores recorded on my Garmin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Salvadoor

good reading in the replies and quote tweets (particularly Greg Allen's)

They seem like sore losers to me. I just had a peek at the record of the lad who won. His scores aren't crazy at all. Fair enough the presidents one was a big one, but the medal scores aren't amazing, they were just the best on the day. For example, I know a lad in the club who plays off +2. He shot a round that would have beaten the two medal scores a couple of weeks ago by 2 shots and 6 shots. And that was even with a double bogey! Lower handicap golfers can and do still win.

I'm a bit sick of reading about random high handicappers winning competitions around the country. Someone put up a screenshot in a reply to that post on twitter of a lad who won a Tuesday open somewhere too. Fair enough it was an outrageous score, but if it's in a Tuesday Open I think it's safe to say it's not someone gaming the system. It's a genuine guy who was probably delighted with his round and is now coming across his score randomly on the internet as an example of a cheater. It must be taking the good out of wins for genuine guys.

If I see an article some day with proper stats in it I'll put some stock in it. What I'd love to see is a graph with the handicaps and the chances of winning a competition (based on all the comps in the country in the past year). It would be interesting to see if your chances of winning goes up as your handicap increases. And if the reverse is true - would people want anything done about it? If a single digit handicapper is a third more likely to win a comp than a guy with a handicap in the 30s, would people want to see this addressed so that they have a similar chance? I'd like them to stick in the chances of finishing in the top 3 too. I would expect to see lower handicappers more likely to win and significantly more likely to finish in the top three than higher handicappers. This is partially based on perception (you often see the low guys in the prizes even though there are fewer of them) and an article I read years ago that did have those stats and said that basically the lower your handicap the higher the liklihood of you winning a comp (this was under the old system). But until there is actual data on it, it's all meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

its not just the high handicappers that are the issues. Plenty low single handicappers that are now on 9/10 who can win majors at their will. Inflating their handicap for the intrclub cut off next year, hoping that HI for interclub will be the 1st Jan index again.

Yeah, but it won't be. It'll be off their low index for the year. Or so I'm reliably informed.

That’s a very fair point about the Tuesday opens

That reminds me of a young fella in our club who won a weekday nine hole with 23 or 24 points off a new handicap of around 38 or so. Lads were giving out about it and I just laughed at them. Like who games their handicap for a lousy weekday nine hole comp? They kinda got the point. I turned it around on them and said I'd be more suspicious of the ones coming in with 18 points with a scratch on the last hole. Smell of burning rubber as the handbrake went on. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

We played there this year and were wondering why we couldn't find it on the app. Two of us would have had a minor cut aswell. Never even thought of bringing a card home.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

As a 6 handicapper there is no competition I want to enter when someone can have 4 doubles, 2 scratches and only 3 pars yet I have to shoot -4 to win. Can tell that's corballis by the amount of par 3s, the amount of times he has two shots on a par 3 is scary. There should be handicap limits on competitions and you need a certain amount of counting rounds to be eligible

Post edited by CSWS101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Was chatting with a couple of members at the weekend about it and one of the lads suggested that there should be new members comps kept separate from the main comp.

Until you have 20 rounds on record youre entered into the new member comp and can't win the other comps.

A lot of clubs already have a rule that says you can't win a major in your first year, so not much of a stretch and if you're up front about i think people would be fine about it.

Wouldn't solve all the problems, but would at least address those early swings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I certainly hope it is, would hopefully give them a bit of cop on. We have a couple of players in our club, both off 9 at the moment, they are building their handicap for interclub. Both well capable of shooting under par and well under it, level par or just over for them would be a handy round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Golfer365

Some courses are now gone to non-qualifying conditions of play. So for competitions that can be set up in V1 and score will not transfer to WHS. All good...

But what about people entering General Play scores thru the GI app. How does WHS know that the course is non-qualifying conditions and therefore the score should not appear on the players scoring record. We have had some members enter General Play scores when the course was lift/clean/place fairways/cut rough so is non-qualifying. We have also had some players enter GP scores from away courses. How are we to know the conditions of play on these courses.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I really don't like this screenshot posting of people's scores on the Internet. Some of these are people improving, some are probably bandits, some are newbies who just shoot the round of their life (albeit 95+). Some are people who have come back to golf after many years out and it has taken 6+ months to get back to where they previously were.

If I was new and was improving I am bound to be hitting the odd 40+ pointer as that is what improving will mean. Imagine then you suddenly find your score being discussed on Twitter as though it's a disgrace that this guy can shoot this score. I think it would turn me right off.

I understand the low handicappers' frustration, but there has to be the opportunity for new (and returning) players to improve without shaming them in public.

The idea that you can't win a comp until you have 20 cards in seems to address the problem. You can enter, but you can't win. Surely this is down to the individual clubs though and not a criticism of the WHS.

Looking at that lads history, if you have him a max handicap of 28, he'd have had 37 points that day. And in his history on golf Ireland, he'd barely have another score that would break 30 points. He has lots of scores in on it, I think he's an older player, but a new one.

I would much rather be beaten occasionally by a guy who might not even have a par on the day than essentially take these people out of the competition. We're members of golf clubs and we're all equal, irrespective of our ability. Taking these guys out of competitions, whether it's the Sunday ones, the majors or all of them would create a two tier membership in a club.

And looking at the last 10 competitions there, the average winning score was -4. I wouldn't even entertain anyone saying that's not fair on lower handicap golfers, if that's too big a margin competitive golf isn't for you.

I do think needing to have your 20 cards submitted is reasonable though before you can win a comp. Before then you don't really have the data to have an accurate handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

Club’s have been asked to disable the markers for general play scores when the course is not in an acceptable score condition.

Well the home course should just delete those rounds from their record on GI if they entered them under NQ conditions. That's pretty straightforward. This is why I insist that members submit physical scorecards for GP rounds. It alerts you to the fact that they've played one and you can check things like this.

For away rounds, yes, that gets a bit tricky and you have to either assume that they're qualifying conditions or phone the golf club concerned and find out. As the weather gets worse and bunkers start getting washed out, it's a fair assumption that clubs have gone NQ unless they're links courses where there might be some doubt.

Probably best to email members first and inform them that they can't use the GI app if there's placing in the rough/bunkers or any other NQ condition in play.

I'm wondering what method Ballyliffen used to remove themselves from the GI app as Seve reported. That would be one way of handling this.

I honestly think this is pure confirmation bias. People look at a score of 40+ points and if it's a high handicap it suddenly 'proves' what they've thought all along. But they slide past anyone on a lower handicap with the same score and think nothing of it. Because it's somehow expected.

We had a 44 point win at the weekend. Chap was playing off 11. Cracking round obviously; finished three over par. 40+ scores (even now) are relatively rare events at our club, so it's noteworthy. But nobody (rightly) will call him a bandit. It should be the same for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

I had 41 and 42 points in competitions this year. I'm a single digit handicap - no one batted an eyelid but as you said, if a person off 28 had those scores there'd be outrage. My 60 odd year old mother who took up golf in the last couple of years won a competition with 47 points, she rarely scores better than about 30 points. This happens with new golfers, people need to get over it.

There are bandits, but they're not the high handicap beginners - it's the lads off 15 or so that should be off 10 that can turn it on at will that you need to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Golfer365

Thanks.

Clubs have been asked by GI??? How is this done?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

Yeah by Golf Ireland, in fact asked is not accurate. The instruction from GI is the markers must be disabled when the course is not in an acceptable score condition.

It is done in the Golf Ireland clubhouse website.

• Advertisement

This is where it's done by clubs. Just switch them all off and job done. Thanks for the info.

Advertisement