Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There will still be cars driving through then. The only thing that'll stop that is more extensive pedestrianisation and bus only streets

• Registered Users Posts: 26,053 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A Moyross train won't happen because it would be slower than bus/car/bicycle due to the meandering track.

A ring road is the only real option but environmentalists and NIMBYs need to be told where to go first. I don't understand how certain people can't see that freeing up the inner city for bikes and buses and lowering pollution in that area should be a top green priority

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

And pedestrianisation can't/won't happen until the alternative route is provided.

I'm inclined to agree with you re the Moyross Train Station but Brian Leddin and The Greens are not for turning and even positively accepted a suggestion of a new station near St Mary's Park. Personally, I think the more stops you put on that line the less it will be used by people getting to'from work/college.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Those trains and stations will never happen. The Greens will be out of government long before they could be built and they'll never get past a CBA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If their idea is to build something from the island bank over to the metal bridge then it's much more beneficial to do that from the island bank over to the corbally road to have better access to the corbally stop. Opens up the area a bit more than too but it's something that's never gonna happen imo.

If they want to do commuter trains they need to be further out. Moyross has a bus every 15mins that gets you to town in 15mins.

Anyway that line is too slow better off concentrating on some of the villages on the Dublin line that used have stations or the western line that will probably never happen as it would take whole new track

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Good question. Compulsorily acquired is the term used rather than compulsorily purchased. So, maybe the council just moves in and takes control of each site/building without any money changing hands. It would seem perverse having to compensate the individual owners who have allowed these properties fall into dereliction in the first place although there could be numerous reasons for properties becoming derelict or unused. For example, an elderly householder with no family dies without making a will so it could happen in an instance like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

The population of the city is increasing, the volume of private cars on the road is increasing. We cannot just continue to build more and more roads. Doing so will mean the issues faced today will never improve.

There must be incentives for people to use alternative modes of transport.

The city should target a massive reduction in the amount of trips of 3k or less currently done in private cars.

The so called plan is to use the current single track Limerick Ennis line and add stations at Moyross, Corbally and Parkway. There is no plan for any new track routing.

It's totally impracticable as a commuter line. And as breezy said, would be slower than all other forms of transport, so wouldn't be used.

• Advertisement

There needs to be actual cheap convenient public transport to get people out of their cars. That currently doesn't exist and is unlikely to be around any time soon.

Stopping cars entering the city without providing an alternative won't take people out of their cars, it'll just piss them off.

Public transport is cheap convenient and very fast but sadly only on about 3 of the city routes. We need a few new routes and upgrade of others. We also need a hopper fare so that someone living on the 303 or 303 for instance doesn't have to pay double to get to the hospital or UL. Same for anyone going to TUS/LIT not on the 302

Chicken and egg. There can only be a good public transport system if there is sufficient dedicated road space provided to it. You can't have good public transport before you have adequate bus priority

This almost sounds like Green talk but no solutions. Currently anyone living out past St Mary's Church that want to get to the Cork side of Limerick drives through it, why not give them a ring road. You solve the problem of urban sprawl by not allowing development long it. They are two different issues, you can solve one and bar the other.

I've said it before but I'll repeat myself, there is one (ONE) bus out of St Mary's Park every hour. How does anyone think this is a good public transport offering.

I saw a tweet this morning to BE, their early morning bus was 16 minutes late arriving with zero info displayed so those waiting in the rain didn't know if they missed it, was it delayed or was it ever going to arrive. You can't get people to switch over to public transport with the was BE is run.

We have one bus to/from the city, it's useless, gets you to town for just before 10 and even then sometimes the driver decides to take a different route to town so misses some of the stops that a passenger might have wanted to disembark at. How can you plan your trip if the driver can do solo runs like this?

Bus connects Limerick will resolve most of these issues. LSMATS is back to the drawing board due to a lack of ambition in the original document

There is a wider problem with the buses too in regards to arrival time. If a driver arrives early to a stop they should wait but currently the only places I see it happen are on Henry St. and Sarsfield St. which has often left me in the " have I missed it " place too and made me give up on the bus to work until the 303 switched to 15mins. At least now I can afford to miss 1

Some of the buses to the nearby commuter villages should start using buses rather than coaches too both for ease of access and leap card use. Create a green zone travel area like Cork have.

You forgot to mention the car pooling for villages. Sure it's just a short walk down to collect the car.

I notice a distinct lack of complaining about height, style or suitability about buildings when they are Munster rugby ones.

It will be the tallest building on the street and large sections have no windows which have sunk other buildings in the eyes of NIMBYs

• Advertisement

Firstly, it's got absolutely nothing to do with Munster Rugby. They have their own museum in Thomond Park.

Secondly, the grant of planning permission from LCCC was was appealed to ABP, so it's incorrect to say that there was no complaining.

And immediately a guy with a Munster avatar and an AIL team as his name jumps to a robust defense 😂. Apologies for saying Munster were involved I was misinformed

Don't worry I'm a fan of this development I just noticed it attracts little of the controversy that the various apartment blocks, student accommodation, mosques, roads, cycle lanes etc. get on forums or barstools

To mount a 'robust defence' or indeed any type of defence of MR, would have required them to be actually involved in the project.

No matter what the subject matter is, if someone posts something that I know to be wrong, I will correct them. I was simply stating a fact. Being a rugby fan has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

One block away, the same arguments could apply to the Augustinian's Church too.

Augustinians Church (NIAE)

Attached double-height gable-fronted Hiberno-Romanesque street-fronted west-facing church, built between 1938-42, with square-plan tower to north. Rectangular-plan church with a pitched and sprocketed natural slate roof.

Gabled-fronted elevation has a large Romanesque arched window opening with rough-tooled limestone voussoirs.

While the scale may be considered too large for this particular style, the detailing and variation remains quite restrained. The building, nevertheless, has a strong street presence and is one of Limerick's landmark buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Has anyone any insight into the extensions to both the Strand and Savoy hotels that were approved years ago? Are they permanently on hold?

Are there still people living in the Mill next to the Savoy or is it already cleared out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The Savoy created an additional dozen or so bedrooms by converting meeting rooms etc within the existing hotel building. They don't appear to be committed to expanding into the Mill building as of yet and will have to apply for an extension of duration for the planning application if they want to keep it active. The building housing The Savoy is owned by Kirkland Investments who as we know don't exactly move quickly with development projects.

The metal box extension on top of the Mill is a weak design response anyhow and falls well short of the quality seen in similar adaptations around Europe and even the Mayson Hotel on North Wall Quay in Dublin. From the prominent O'Connell Street vista the CGIs look like a giant Playstation 2 has been dropped into the carcass of a heritage building. Not an altogether surprising outcome I suppose given the Architectural firm responsible.

I see that the Canal Bank apartment complex is to be resubmitted to ABP. The tallest building has been reduced from 16 to 10 storeys. And they've done a NIS this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

What exactly is Bus Connects Limerick? I'm not even too sure what Bus Connects (the Dublin one) is

Advertisement