Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Fear does sell, that is the key when it comes to the media and covid. There has been little room for data observations.

Like the poster said above, the link between the median age of those that died with covid and the median age of those that die in Ireland generally says it all about covidbut then 90% of the population wouldn't tune into covid news if they weren't actually conditioned to fear covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Discussing the subtleties is no fun, can't raise the blood pressure with it.

Hospital-wise, last week was promising. We saw a rise of just 13 from Monday to Monday.

In last night's HSE report, we also saw that hospital admissions rose by just 3 people during the day, despite few discharges due to the bank holiday.

There was also an indication that the bigger outbreaks appear to be under control.

ICU number had a fairly big jump, but that's expected given the jump in hospital admissions over the previous 10 days. There's nothing particularly scary in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

This whole theory falls flat on its face when you look at authoritarian countries like China/Russia. State run media and yet they're still locking down etc.

I know it's hard for some minds but the simple truth is Covid is real, it's deadly to certain people and it puts health care systems under pressure.

I agree that bad news sells but you're conflating two separate issues imo.

Data is what is roundly ignored by the deniers.

Multiple European countries that have taken a more laissez-faire attitude have already had more than 0.3% of the population die alread and are having surging cases numbers still.

I know lots of people think if you ignore it it doesn't exist, but that is not following data.

The lest said about the misunderstanding of "median" 18 months in to this the better

To be fair, I don't think any of us can really claim to know what the media in China and Russia is like when it comes to covid. Nor can we fully appreciate the measures taken to fight it, given the lack of reliable information which makes it to the West. I definitely cannot claim to know much about Russia or China as I do not speak either Russian or Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I speak both Russian and Chinese so I can confirm my statement is factually correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You haven't a clue have you? Another brave complainer on a keyboard. I certainly do wish all this was over, so who's the fool making assumptions now? Catch yourself on with the absurd assertion.

More context around hospital numbers this AM. The average number of new cases in hospital has been dropping fairly rapidly over the last week. This is new cases + admissions.

Hospital admissions seem to have peaked around the weekend before last.

The forecast I put in is crude, but we can see that this isn't a blip, the numbers are dropping fairly sharply. If it continued like this, we'll be back to September levels in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

There is too much focus on covid pass certs and mask wearing in retail especially when over 90% of the adult population is vaccinated. There should be a new public health message pushed and drummed into the population for the winter. The most important aspect in my imo is isolation or reducing close contacts when you feel unwell.

There's people moving around in work and within my social setting with coughs. Not tested and claiming its not covid as if the vaccines is a magic bullet that makes covid disappear. I think covid can still appear after vaccines and show up as colds and sometimes flu.

I think the most important message this winter is to reduce close contacts and reduce social settings if you feel unwell and showing symptoms of cough and cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

You think based on what? I presume alot of people with flu symptoms are at least taking antigen tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Very few people are actually buying and using their own antigen tests. You give the average person far too much credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes they are , they run out of them on a regular basis in Lidl .Circle K fill the stock quite often . The chemists stock them and often have none left

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Adding a q3... There's broad acknowledgement, even by the media, that the vaccine does not inhibit transmission. (E.g. CDC website has deleted the statement "COVID-19 vaccines reduce the risk of people spreading the virus that causes COVID-19." from its Key Things to Know About COVID-19 Vaccines section.)

What then is the rationale for forcing vaccination of people younger than 55? Anyone vulnerable due to underlying conditions will already have understood the benefits and taken the vaccine.

There was one test used over the course of the weekend from two people coughing into their hands.

If tests are running out in shops they must be appealing to a certain demographic like working parents with young children in school who generally picks up bugs easily and parents can't be isolatating every time a cold comes in.

The government will need to move quickly at taking some action here. Either putting across a strong message to reduce contacts if you feel unwell til tested or encouraging the use of home tests.

Covid is appearing differently in everyone and there's also other viruses too. What gives someone the right to spread viruses and sickness to others?

Many people especially younger adults have a thinking that covid will pass them by easily and without issues. It's not the case. A friend of a friend is an antivaxer and he got covid. He's 30 years old and he went onto a ventilator over the weekend. He's young and got.

The vaccines reduces the need for hospitalisation and serious disease.

Have four year old twins. One of them got very upset with his second pcr test. We are not bringing him again unless he has classic covid symptoms. Last week he had a cold - no temperature. We did an antigen test and kept him at home.

Covid test in kids is a very simple swab, not the ram in up into the sinus cavity that adults get.

I know exactly what it’s like and so does he - he has had it twice. I guess I need to explain he has special needs. Other boy is fine with it and will be tested as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Similar here fits, 3 year old howled the place down last time.The tester even got upset.Won't be bringing them unless really necessary now, even the antigen is a physical struggle at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Ah, it's often not that simple. Had my 9 year old in for a test this morning, his third now, and only once was it a gentle swab. Other time and today they went pretty deep. He's not been bothered, and sees it as a bit of a tickle challenge to not react, but it was enough to make him grimace, his eyes water and bring on sneezing.

Cutie: Your "what gives someone the right to spread viruses" comment is a perfect example of the confusion and fear in our country. The vaccine does not inhibit transmission and so the HSE can no longer ethically rely on that line of argument. In order to justify mandatory vaccinations (and Covid certs) they then need to come out and say it is the unvaccinated under-55 (or 60, 65, whatever) Covid patients (without underlying conditions) that are stressing our health system. Instead they are relying on the media to wind up the masses into a childlike position of "I took the vaccine and so now everyone else must too".

Lol. The CDC is a pretty heavyweight and conservative medical institution for you to be refuting them so nonchalantly. You are going to need more than just the weight of your 2008 avatar to do so ;-)

The CDC still asserts that the virus still inhibits spread.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/keythingstoknow.html

COVID-19 vaccines can reduce the risk of people spreading the virus that causes COVID-19.

It's usually a good idea to verify your facts before you double-down on then.

Snake oil. Why would the average person take it on themselves to use antigen tests when personal responsibility has been completely and utterly not been given throughout the pandemic by the authorities? In Ireland, to try to put responsibility on the individual now after locking them up until 90% were vaccinated is not going to happen as we have not been allowed to live with covid, hence our multiple lockdowns.

The NHS gives free antigen tests to the UK population regularly, it is incredible. And the UK is many weeks ahead of us, clearly living with covid far better than we are. Unfortunately, in Ireland I think that people will just live their lives as normal within the government rules and not invent their own (eg buy a few antigen tests and use them).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf that can be factually true even if there's a 1% decrease in spread but that difference wouldnt make much of a real world difference.

It's worth qualifying this and noting that, statistically, those under 40 who ended up in ICU with covid were in such a minority that the general claim that covid isn't harmful to younger people holds strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

anyone I know have antigen tests in the house and I know many who have used them sensibly . They are stocked and sold regularly in Circle K , Aldi , Lidl and chemists .

I personally have four here and have used about 5/7 over time

• Advertisement

Over the last few weeks with colds rampant, basically everyone I have talked to that has experienced the slightest sniffle, has done at least one antigen test. Nobody wants the hassle of a PCR test, but they also don't want to just ignore their symptoms.

Anyone who thinks nobody is using antigen tests must be living under a rock. They're fairly regularly sold out anywhere you go.

Advertisement