Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Oxfam clearly felt under pressure, and acted accordingly." - You've provided no basis for this statement.

"But the real reason for the angst was because JK Rowling was also included in the bingo game" - You've provided no basis for this statement.

As for GB News' "54,000,000 YouTube hits", at approx. 3,400 videos on their channel, that equates to an average below 16,000 views per video.

Here's a cat video that's gotten almost twice as many total views (94m) in 3 months.

I wouldn't say the cat has "enormous influence" either, but that term certainly doesn't apply to GB News either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

To be fair it is a really good cat video. GBNews would struggle to reach those production values.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't apologise. It's nice to see someone try and discuss the topic of the thread instead of veering off into what now seems like every other subject imaginable.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suppose if you had no real understanding about YouTube, or the metrics required to be considered a "success" on the service, you might misinterpret just how bad GB News' numbers are in terms of its relevance within the zeitgeist. Like your mum looking at her 7 likes on Instagram and thinking she's a viral star.

I had a quick check and the channel has 280k subscribers; that's rubbish, to be frank. Relative to the product, like. Maybe, if GB News was some one-man show run from a home office those numbers would be good. But this is a "major" corporate undertaking with significant financial investment and employment. The returns here are Not Good, no matter how much certain folk here really, really want it to be a Big Important Voice.

For comparison, here's a random current affairs channel that does short (relatively impartial) dives into News items of the day; IIRC they have very little promotion going on, have 2 or 3 people working in a small UK office - yet they command more than twice the subscribers as GB News - and IIRC is a growing enterprise at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm pretty certain Trace Vault is showing Christmas music at the moment too. So something not yet targeting any form of mass audience.

Not comparing like with like.

You'd need to compare YouTube channels based on News, and not any simply any video plucked from the air with an inordinate number of views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What kinds of alcohol do they drink when they do interviews and from what bands/sports do their washed up celebrities come from ?

They started over 4-years ago and have 80 million hits.

Hardly a good comparison.

very convenient that you ignored the parts that mentioned the lies you told and just concentrated on the cat video.

Similarly, the user to which I responded ignored the parts about Jeremy Corbyn's racism. We can all play games like that. Why aren't you challenging him as well as me? We've both done the same thing.

• Advertisement

It was more of a joke than a comparison.

Do you think an average of 16k views per video (taking into account most videos are mostly viewed by the same group of people) is "enormous influence"?

I'd also add that I posted their youtube stats from socialblade recently, showing a dip in new subscribers and video views. You may have missed it. Here it is again.

Also, their Twitter stats tell a similar tale

2.92K - Down 26.3%: FOLLOWERS FOR THE LAST 30 DAYS

-9 - Down 78%: FOLLOWING FOR THE LAST 30 DAYS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

LOL. Well that YT channel is run by young people in their 20s and is generally tepidly critical of the Tory government, so they would probably already be dismissed as Lefty wokenistas in some circles.

No. GB News has money and celebrity behind it so it's absolutely fair game to bring up comparative "Small scale" YouTube channels. Especially given the relative clout GB News are trying to swing.

And in any case, I only even posted that single example to counter your own comments that GB News' online profile "enormous influence". It clearly doesn't, but as usual, you move the goalposts the first sign of an awkward conclusion, and shift the point of argument. If a piddling News channel on YT isn't fair comparison, and Sky / BBC aren't fair comparisons - and cat videos aren't fair comparisons - what is???

Sorry, I know the answer. Whatever yields the result "GB News is crushing its enemies and leading the charge against Woke politics". Right?

a couple of people have already answered you re jeremy corbyn and racism. what are your views re the lies you told about "Wokery"?

Apparently crushing your enemies is best in life

I'll get my coat.

That's simply untrue, @ohnonotgmail.

In the above quote, I discussed an example of a statement I would consider racist. Would you consider what he said racist, too?

Anti-Semitic racism is rife within leftist politics.

I didn't ignore it. It doesn't change anything I posted about previously in response to it. The quote you pulled was about British Zionists, not Jewish people as a whole, but regardless, I don't defend it. As I said many times, he completely handled his previous comments and actions completely wrong, and his apologies for same were lacklustre.

Unless Jeremy Corbyn joins GB News, it's not relevant to the thread and is simply whataboutery and a rabbithole you're trying to drag us down. Do you accept you were wrong about the Oxfam Bingo item (considering you have no basis for the claims you've since made about it), which GB News held up as an example of cancel culture even though it demonstrably isn't?

I'll happily discuss racism when you have answered the questions on your lies about "wokery".

No, I don't accept that.

I read the Oxfam statement. I know JK Rowling was one of the women included in the game.

It's quite obvious why the game was pulled.

Can you post something which backs up your claim? Because right now we have a statement from someone in Oxfam who said it was due to Elliot Page, and we have your opinion. Quite frankly, I'm leaning towards believing the Oxfam staff member.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, we're sticking to EH's unhealthy obsession with hating on trans people and racism but only when the left do it.

BTW, when is alleged racist Jeremy Corbyn coming to GB News?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I've stated that Oxfam themselves have made a statement. I even linked to the quote in an earlier post.

Here it is again:

Oxfam said in a statement: "We took the decision to remove the game from sale following concerns raised by trans and non-binary colleagues who told us that it didn't live up to our commitment to respect people of all genders".

Now, I also said that JK Rowling was included as one of the women in this game.

Wonder Woman Bingo contains illustrated cards of 48 women from around the world - including Greta Thunberg, Amelia Earheart, and Serena Williams.

It also features writers JK Rowling and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, who have both been criticised for comments on transgender people.

We all know what JK Rowling said, and what a "controversy" it caused among trans-activist extremists.

Oxfam pull the game "following concerns" about "respecting people of all genders" - which more than hints at the disrespect they feel JK Rowling has to their genders.

Or...you could believe that the trans and non-binary people said nothing about JK Rowling and were happy to have her included.

Now I'm not saying that Eliot Page etc. did not happen. It did. But that doesn't come close to answering what Oxfam said in that statement. It is far more likely that it's related to the above two women being included in the selection. And so the game was pulled.

I know which version of events I'm willing to believe.

So, nothing then. As per usual.

You believe the one you completely made up? What a surprise.

Oxfam said in a statement: "We took the decision to remove the game from sale following concerns raised by trans and non-binary colleagues who told us that it didn't live up to our commitment to respect people of all genders".

Which ties in with recognising that Elliot Page has transitioned and therefore either shouldn't be included, or their section should be updated to reflect that, which is what the Oxfam employee also said in their statement. There's no basis for saying it was pulled because of JK Rowling when even the employee said they didn't pull it because of that.

*snort*

Man the lengths people will go to fashion an outrage. Or justify a prejudice/bunker complex.

And it's us Lefties who are supposed to be the permanently outraged, snowflake types. At this stage I'm just bemused at the intellectual loop-de-loops going on here, desperately trying to cling on to a justification for this online Farage Fellatio

• Advertisement

So you believe that the trans and non-binary community were more outraged at the Eliot Page issue rather than the inclusion of JK Rowling and that other woman?

Really!?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Can we get back to the discussion as to why absolutely no one in the UK seems to give a tuppenny toss about GBNews and what it has to offer?

That is after all the topic of this thread.

We are led to believe that there is a massive ground-swell of support for a new right-wing media outlet giving voice to those under-served masses that have only had their preferred Political party in power for 78 of the last 100 years.

Yet somehow effectively no one is watching this new media powerhouse with less and less people tuning in each and every week.

What could be the reason?

It it?

1. The Channel is absolutely shambolic with production values lower than a teenage You-tuber?
    2. The "Under-Served Masses" simply haven't discovered it yet
    3. There are no "Under-Served Masses" and it's really just targeting a tiny niche audience of Cranks?

My money is firmly on option 3. above , although option 1. is probably strongly in the running too.

Perhaps we could get off this, your latest hateful tangent.

If Jeremy Corbyn is so racist, can you let me know when he's going to be on Talking Pints?

The "trans and non-binary community" never saw it. It was some employees who brought it to the attention of head office before it was even released. They also weren't "outraged", but felt it should be updated to reflect Elliot Page's transition.

The only outrage around the whole issue has been on the "OMG CANCEL CULTURE AGAIN!!!" side.

Things have progressed since summer, though.

The birth of Murdoch's new anti-Woke channel, featuring Piers Morgan, will add much needed competition and keep this going.

As I've always said since the beginning; it's not that there is no market, it's how you produce a product that caters to the needs of that market.

Even with the emergence of this new station, it will add competition for GB News. Who knows what might happen, then.

All I know is that only the product can improve - for one or both - and that's always going to be a positive, long-term outcome for all.

• Advertisement

The Murdoch channel is not being set up to be "anti-Woke" though. Because that, as we can see, is not actually a viable business model

Its a TV extension of their existing radio and newspaper services which don't appear to mollify the tiny audience for "anti-Woke"

They didn't hire Piers Morgan for nothing.

They may not declare themselves to be anti-Woke, but it'll be in their DNA.

They hired him because he gets a substantial audience.

Something nobody who has gone to GBNews is capable of doing.

I think the answer might be as banal and simple as the silent majority is actually quite well catered for. Print media is overwhelmingly right wing and, since TV News is both regulated and a different beast anyway, BBC News and Sky News provide the rest as do the evening news bulletins and their websites.

I think the whole woke nazi thing can work as part of something larger with Piers Morgan being the best example. GMB wasn't about woke-wailing specifically but Morgan could occasionally give it a bit of spice. It's like the breakout character on a sitcom. The problem is, some corporate type then decides to isolate that element and give it its own platform, ie GB News where it immediately becomes stale. That's all GB News, is, really. Standard, bland corporate drivel presented as some sort of cultural insurgency. Farage isn't a revolutionary, he's just a sock puppet for much smarter people who outsource their dirty work.

You can see the slow acceptance of GB News' failure with the same sort of optimism about Murdoch's new venture which will yield similar results. It'll be better run (a low bar to jump), probably have some names people actually recognise and will eschew the sort of human refuse and white supremacists that GB News actually promote. It'll be more professional but TV news just ain't profitable at the end of the day. Youtube channels only are because of niche interests and very low overheads, ie one person, a PC, a camera and some editing software as opposed to a whole crew.

Who knows what might happen, then

GBNews will sink even more than it already has. They will be up against a TV station ran by somebody who knows how to run TV Stations. As much as I despise the man, Murdoch does know how to run a TV station. GBNews won't be able to compete and will fold. If there is one that GBNews does not need it is competition. A comparison with a competent product will not be flattering to GBNews.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Your point on Piers Morgan and GMB is spot on.

95%+ of GMB was standard generic bland daytime TV stuff - Every now and again Piers would say something "controversial" and the other presenter would chide him for it and he'd act all offended that he wasn't allowed to say whatever it was he wanted to say. They'd then get a bit of wider media coverage for his latest "outburst" which is all good for the ratings and the advertisers.

Whilst some people may have tuned in to "see what Piers will say next" , what GB News has proven beyond doubt is that they have absolutely no interest in ONLY hearing that.

They want to hear all the banal standard stuff but are happy to have a bit of "edge" that they can either agree or disagree with every now and again to change things up.

One Trick Ponies aren't popular for very long for a reason , something that GB News and it's backers have failed utterly to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No no no no no, viewing numbers for youtube, twitter etc mean nothing...absolutely NOTHING!!

This thread has had nearly 150k views, that does not equate to 150k unique views, do you not understand this?

That's it. From what I know from seeing bits of it at the gym is that Morgan would come out with a clanger, get called on it and rant a bit and then all would go back to bland nonsense. It's like Friends and the Joey spinoff. A whole show dedicated to just that won't work. I feel like Murdoch will be aware of this but it's hard to see how, or even if he intends to make a profit from his new venture.

It's also important to note that Piers managed to get interviews with MPs and other high-level politicians, not because he's Piers Morgan, but because he was on GMB, one of the biggest morning shows on one of the biggest channels. He quite rightfully took politicians to task very strongly and justly (regardless of my opinion of the man, it was something he did well), but they still allowed themselves to be interviewed by him because it was GMB.

Will he have the same pull or ability to do that on News UK? Doubtful. We also don't know if he's doing a morning or evening show. Morning show you're more likely to get politicians because they want to try shape the narrative of whatever stories are likely to be the topic that day.

It'll be a loss leader for his wider efforts , given that it's part of a global effort he'll be able to fill time with shows produced in the US/Australia - long form interviews and documentary type stuff that he'll also resell elsewhere.

The actual "locally" produced stuff will be cheap filler "news bulletins" with a few weekly shows keeping people interested.

I expect that's what he'll use Morgan for , ~1 hour Interviews with people with Global interest - Piers doing his best Larry King impression etc.

He's not going to be doing weekly shows moaning about Bathroom policies or "Anti-Wokery"

I'm imagining a Right-ish version of CNN International with slightly more UK focused news bulletin segments

• Advertisement

It's worth emphasizing that "Woke"-style issues form only a part of GB News. They spend far more time discussing domestic and international issues, and the economy etc. They even have sport shows, too.

This idea that GB News only discusses Woke issues is a smelly red herring. It's a convenient slogan, but that's all it is - a slogan.

In many respects, GB News paved the way for this kind of news reporting.

Even today, the BBC has finally published the content that you'd only see on GB News up to now.

Some balls to come out with that, given we only have bumps on this thread because of your hoorays for the channel's more flagrant anti woke screeds.

Literally, none of this is true. You can whitewash it all you want but we all know why GB News was set up.

You don't watch the channel, so how do you know what shows they broadcast?

Prove it. Show definitively that BBC News wouldn't have run that piece if GB News didn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

One of the main hooks to the channel was "wokewatch"

The fact that you only seem to share segments that are trying to be controversial indicates the rest of their content is pretty awful... Like it's hosted such groundbreaking stories as an interview with Meghan Markle's dad and interviews with domestic abusers etc. On top of that, their only show with viewership is the one that is infatuated with being 'anti-woke'......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The only reason I know that this station still exists is because I see this thread every now and again. People don't even mock GBNews on Twitter anymore.

...because they realise it's not a joke channel.

On Talking Pints tonight, it's the esteemed Kelvin McKenzie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You should probably look at every tweet that farage puts out about GB "news" so, it's obvious that it is a joke, that's why he gets mocked so hard 🤣

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement