Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Anyone try Shackleton mixed reviews on it? I bought a bottled up north the august weekend but have a target to meet before I taste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Up north at the moment drinking Powers gold label with the infamous father in law. This was us three years ago this week as I bought him his first glass of Connemara and he was nearly sick at the table 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The standard blend I presume, not one of the specials done earlier in the process by Paterson?

Got given an airport litre of it a few Christmases ago and only finished it recently. Its fine. Tesco NIs £18 is a decent price for it, its priced at what its worth at the £24.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Fair play to you, frankly.

But I like your reviews and if you continued to produce content on your own terms then I’m sure you’d have a readership.

I think all the 100% positive bloggers must themselves be slowly dying inside. As they enjoy their free samples… hmm

• Advertisement

Two things:-

I randomly bought a bottle of Cotswold single malt…

And, can anyone put an age to this unopened bottle of Tullamore Dew in a ceramic jug? I believe it’s at least early 1990s, maybe older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Jameson 70cl 23€ in Dunnes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

People forget that Shackelton was born in Kilkea. I've seen a couple of reviews that suggest this is really good for the money, I think I'll try it in the bar at some point http://www.whiskyfun.com/2018/A-bag-of-the-best-bastard-malts.html https://malt-review.com/2017/05/29/shackleton-blended-malt-scotch-whisky/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There was an empty one of those crocks knocking around our house as early as 1980 I'd say.

• Advertisement

Opened the Cotswold single malt. Amazing for a 4 year old, big summer fruit and orange notes. I understand the buzz around this distillery now. I had one sample a few years ago, but delighted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

I got gifted one off the English wife. Was my first, and at the moment only, English whiskey. I agree with you very tasty and pleasant drink

There's a very good review of their visit to the Cotswold Distillery on Malt Review. They seem to have a great focus on bringing a quality product to the market, from the ground up. It helps that their founder made a bucket load of money selling derivatives in the city... Deep pockets...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Jameson Black Barrel down to €30 in Tesco this morning, Roe & Co down to €30, Johnny Walker Black @ €30 too

Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2022 lands late November.

I said at the time of the campaign against Jim that he had actually done very little wrong. It was a manufactured outrage based on selective quotations, and appeared largely contrived by people attempting to boost their own profile and carve out a niche for themselves.

I know the calumny against him, and removal of his books for sale and so on had a direct knock-on effect on the wellbeing of Jim and his employees.... I was a bit concerned that we might not get a 2022 edition. Glad to be wrong!

To much barely concealed unhappiness among a certain cohort of Whisky twitter, the new book is on the way and no doubt a few people are already working on negative reviews as I type this.

Those who dislike him seem to be moving the goalposts somewhat. Perhaps now that the penny has dropped, a year on, that there was very little in the way of firm evidence that he was some sort of terrible sexist, I see now that the objection seems to be just that he isn't a very good writer, or that he's an unpleasant old man, or ... Well, whatever sticks, really...

The cover is, frankly, a work of amateur art that is so bad it's good, with a terrifying-looking Murray in a trench coat, parrot on his shoulder, standing on a barrel of truth with a whisky snifter aloft.

I'm sure he's aware there isn't a hope in hell of many whisky writers, bloggers or industry figures giving it a warm reception, but hopefully it does alright.

I tried some Matt D'Arcy 10 year old tonight. A blend of 10 year old grain with some 17 year old single malt that's finished in port casks. The whiskey itself was perfectly acceptable but everything else around it is what is becoming unacceptable for me in Irish whiskey.

This bottle was sold as the first blended release by Matt D'Arcy & Co. Ltd in over a hundred years which is at best disingenuous as it's a new company selling sourced liquid. The appropriation of all these old whiskey names doesn't quite sit right for me. Matt D'Arcy is now in the Echlinville portfolio along with the 'revived' brands of Dunville and Old Comber. They call them heritage brands.

The blurb spoke of this bottle having its origins in Newry which is again slightly disingenuous as it's origins was down the road in Cooley I imagine.

Then there is that price of €85. I can get a Redbreast 12, Green Spot or Powers John's Lane for at least €20 less. For a few euro more I can get a Redbreast 12 Cask Strength. All much better whiskey.

High prices, vagueness of the source of the liquid and issues around historical authenticity are not unique to Matt D'Arcy & Co. Ltd and I'm not railing on them specifically. I know these newer companies are up against both the behemoth that is Irish Distillers and the even bigger behemoth that is time.

Sourced whiskey is becoming scarcer and more expensive but I don't know if it's something I want to spend my hard earned cash on especially when not everything is as upfront and honest as it should be.

It's a load of nonsense. I refer to his 2019 bible all the time and out of all the thousands of reviews I struggle to recall any that were too risque. Some of my favourite music reviewers are boorish and unpleasant. I don't really care. I detest one of the top Dylan biographers on a personal level but I have all his books and will continue to buy them. I don't doubt that Murray is a divisive figure but I'd rather have his whiskey bible than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

Went to a couple of Tesco's this evening and these prices dont seem to be live yet in-store, so left empty handed, maybe online is a couple of days early

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Me too, I questioned the manager about it and she said the prices would apply in-store today, so I too left empty handed. In the past when I have questioned the shelf-price v online-price they have honoured the online price but not this time, will have another look this evening.

• Advertisement

I said it before (and it caused quite a storm in this little teacup at the time) that I don't believe there is a huge apatite for expensive third party whiskies.

While we at blackwater are guilty of having a, so called, heritage brand - a revived brand, I'd like to think that we 've done it a little differently. Firstly, our label states, "Established 1880. Reclaimed 2020", so no claims of false continuity, there. It clearly says "sourced from some of Ireland's finest distilleries" - ok a little bit waffley, but clear and it also clearly says. "Blended and bottled by Blackwater Distillery" on the label.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you were having a go at sourced whiskies, in general, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to show that they aren't all the same - even if there is a bit of heritage and nostalgia thrown in! The reason that we don't state the source distillery is that we have no guarantee that the source won't change over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I think the issue whiskey aficionados have is when its deliberately vague and misleading as to the origins of the whiskey and as a result people who are looking for gifts for the whiskey lover in their lives can often be caught out. I would tend to agree that there isn't much of a market for higher priced third party whiskey. Personally speaking I would much rather pay for a whiskey where I know its origins and I wouldn't ever really consider paying over €40 or so for sourced whiskey. There are exceptions however, I think Walsh whiskey have done an excellent job with their whiskey and would have no problem investing in their pricier options. Theres a bit of local bias for me there though so I'm not sure how others feel about it.

Oh, believe me, I have big issues with false and/or misleading or vague information.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

Roe & Co is €28 in Supervalu, whilst Black Barrel is €53..... (Dingle Gin is down to €25 in SV)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just me, or is Black Barrel only worth €30-35 or so anyway? Was underwhelmed when I bought a bottle a couple of years ago, and I'm generally a Jameson fan.

Re: that Matt D'Arcy nonsense:

The whiskey itself was perfectly acceptable but everything else around it is what is becoming unacceptable for me in Irish whiskey... at best disingenuous... They call them heritage brands.

Too right, brands is all they are. You can say "fools and their money" but when bottlers/blenders are being misleading or outright disingenuous as to what they're really selling, that's unfair on the consumer.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Unfortunately, misleading advertising & hype exists in every market for every product... cars, clothing, sportswear, watches, shampoo, toilet cleaner.. the list goes on.

I'm as guilty as the next person at being influenced by marketing. Whiskey advertising is generally very predictable:

• Create a brand that invokes heritage and tradition
    • Invoke a perception that it has been lovingly passed down through generations of families...
    • ... or is linked with a mystical place or location (preferably rugged landscape ideally close to the sea / a river).
    • Extra marks for linking it to a historic event

When trying an inexpensive whiskey for the first time, I can be influenced by something as trivial as the design of the label, or the blurb on the back, or even the shape of the bottle. I'd do a bit more research for a more expensive bottle (read some reviews, ask for advice on this forum).

Over time, I've found maybe 12-15 whiskeys that are my "keepers". I tend to have bottles of most of them in the cabinet most of the time. But I'd guess that for every "keeper" I may have tried 2 other that I wouldn't buy again.

So, for me, the marketing does it's job by getting me to buy the first bottle. But if I don't like it, no amount of marketing will convince me to buy another bottle (unless something fundamental has changed)

When it comes to the revival of historic brands I agree with all the comments above. It's not something that does it for me at all, to be honest even if it involved the building of a new distillery on an old site (As has occurred in Scotland) I'm one of those people who would rather see something up front about being new than tenuously tied to the past. Reboots in general seem to be increasingly common across all industries, does it say something about consumers wanting the stability and nostalgia of the past? Probably.

I also wonder whether Irish whisky fans are really the market for products of this sort - with all the "blarney" involved, and the lack of knowledge about geography that is sometimes useful, is it possible that the intended market is mainly abroad? Or, if a lot of whisky is being bought in airline retail normally, or in other contexts where people are making "one off" purchases intended as gifts or special buys, is it possible that dressing something up as having a bit of provenance behind it is a better way to sell something than to have something new-looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

With you on this. i was somewhat caught out when i assumed (with poor research on my part, and i guess lack of transparency on theirs) that the first release of Glendalough pot still was their own distillate like Teeling and Drumshanbo. It’s my “local” distillery and I purchased it as I fancied owning something produced in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭adaminho

Had a Whiskey and Sushi pairing in work tonight. Unfortunately was on the wrong side of the counter so have to wait till tomorrow to try.

• Advertisement

All set for tonight's Heaven's Door tasting with Celtic Whiskey. Dylan back touring next Tuesday for the first time since Dec 2019. Good times. I'll post about them on here after but as the picture shows don't expect an unbiased review.

Advertisement