Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The guy who installed my Zappi was pretty good. Admittedly the cable was there already so it was a pretty simple job, but he's done a few chargers and was very professional without being extortionate

I can PM his details of you'd like? I'm in the Dublin area but I got the impression this crowd does jobs all over Ireland

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You can get a smart meter and stay on the standard price plan.

No, you wouldn’t have to transfer the car to your wife.

the grant is based on the MPRN so you can have 10 grants across 10 different properties with the same name and same car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It's not a recent requirement. It has always been required as an EVSE is technically classified as an appliance, as it is more than a simple socket-outlet.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Ah ok, so it’s similar to the requirement for all appliances now for isolation switches? That was also a pain in the hole aesthetically when we got a house rewire done. Especially since we had each appliance on its own cct anyway. We are waiting for a call re installation, I think we’ll move charge point to a location where the isolation switch can be hidden better.

actually I’ve checked the it’s only in the latest regs update that’s it’s been clarified as specifically a requirement. Edit, also good to see that connection to the meter box is clarified as allowable. So looks like we will get an install like the sample diagrams on the note, meter box with rcb, isolator within a foot of it, charger within another foot of it.

Post edited by copacetic on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

No. It was clarified that it is a requirement of the Rules, ergo it always was. The Rules didn't change in this regard. And RECI have always been adamant that an isolator is required. They merely sought the view of TC2 recently, which backed up their own view.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Hi all,

Looking to finally get a charger installed at home. My car is only a hybrid with small battery(Volvo XC90 T8) so don't "need" it but the 3 pin granny charger is causing issues and think it would be best to get a proper charger once and for all.

From my understanding I will require the isolator switch nearby (which are eyesores but if needs must). I have air to water also which means I need to have load balancing, I think? I would like to also have the ability to manage the charging through my phone to avail of night rates, ideally plugging in in the evening but charging only commencing after 12.

I am confused on what charger and therefore company to use however.

Some options from what I can see and all around the same price (going for tethered):

• Wallbox Pulsar +
    • Zappi v2
    • EO Mini Pro 2

Aesthetics are quite important to me as it will be in a pretty visible place so want to have minimal clutters and the ability to have the cable wrapped up when not in use.

Some questions from me:

• Could anyone recommend one of the above over the others?
    • Are there any other chargers I have missed that I should consider?
    • What is best practice to plan for another charger if needed in the future? Wife's car may be PHEV or Electric next time around and want to consider that.
    • Could anyone recommend an installer they have used by PM? I am near Naas in Kildare.

I will be availing of the grant and would ideally like the company in question to supply and fit the charger for simplicity sake.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

We bought the EO Mini Pro 2 (untethered version) but haven't used it yet since car is not yet here. My thinking was: it was a lot less obtrusive than the others and better looking. I didn't want anything with bright lights on it to attract feral youths. What I didn't know until they were installing it was that the interrupter was a requirement. So much for the neat little unobtrusive charge point...

My installer also installed the charger with load balancing via a CT clamp (whatever that is).

I think the apps are probably better on the other two, with more information. The EO app is pretty minimal, although it does allow managing charge times and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I had the Zappi v2 installed. Cannot comment on the others. The Zappi comes with internal load balancing - it has a CT going to the main live for the house. Needs a small bit of confuguration but I found it reasonably easy.

If you get a tethered Zappi the cable also wraps up pretty nicely around the unit which is probably the best solution I have seen.

You don't really need a second charger. Unless you (and your wife) are driving insane amounts you shouldn't need to charge on a daily basis. Well maybe you might need to if both are PHEVs. But tbh it seems like a waste. A PHEV will charge in a couple of hours and a second charger is not worth it.

Finally, you can configure the "boost timer" for the Zappi which allows you to create your own charging schedule. It allows control over time and day of week. I got mine installed for 1250 all inclusive about a year ago (and got 600 from SEAI afterwards). Can send you the name of the company if you PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bshaftoe

Hey, thanks, @the_amazing_raisin !

I might take your word. I will try with epower.ie first, and if I don't like what they tell me I will contact you. Thanks!.

I still don't know if we will install a EO Mini Pro 2 or a myenergi Zappi 2, and epower seems to be able to install both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the EO mini is better as untethered, if tethered it has no cable management.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Aesthetics are quite important to me

On that basis I'd suggest the Andersen(eye wateringly expensive though).

https://andersen-ev.com/products/andersen-a2

In terms of other charge points that meet your other requirements there is also the Hypervolt and the VW/Audi charge point.

https://hypervolt.co.uk

https://www.elli.eco/en/charger#brands

these guys https://ecarinfra.ie/ installed an EO mini untethered in my neighbours' (Dublin) the other week. Thought they did a good job.

They mentioned that the Hypervolt was well recommended and worth considering, and if load-balancing etc was required that it was not much more expensive than the other tethered options through them.

Do you know how much it cost? They have 650 net of SEAI on their website for the EO for example. The EO is costing them roughly 550 ex vat , so they are charging 700€ for install and cert. my install is 2.7m of cable and a breaker, no drilling or chasing, probably an hours work at most, cost from all the suppliers seem to be a bit of a racket. Everyone seems to be charging a flat rate even for easy jobs that should be 200€ or so.

No clue - have not yet called them out for a quote for my own setup yet. Was just interested that they were doing the "high end" charge point for same price as 'bog standard' ones really.

(though of course, if their bog standard installs are way OTT then maybe there isn't as much value there of course!!)

Check, it’s probably good value for the high end one with a difficult install but crazily priced for low end one with easy install

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I had the EO unit installed by Electric Ireland for ~€400 after the grant, not sure where the extra €250 is coming from here.

My install was about 5M of cable , but no chasing or drilling either - All in it took them about 90 minutes as they had to get in to my attic (dormer) to pull the cable from one corner of the house to the Consumer panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Absolutely crazy money being made on the installs, what's the effective hourly labour rate on your install? I think the grant needs to be removed. Complete waste if tax payer funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

When you take in the cost of parts, travel, insurance etc. it's not really an outrageous cost. Not many lads driving Teslas off the back of home charger installs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Realistically though , electrically speaking it's not significantly more complex that installing an outdoor socket (call it two sockets if you count the isolator).

If someone quoted you €650 plus equipment for an outdoor socket or running power out to a shed for example , you'd tell them to get stuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Sam W

I hate to be on the side of handymen because they really do suck a lot of money on those tiny things, but you are not just talking about costs. You are talking about training, material, warranty, supply, travel, certification etc. Everything comes at a price.

On top of that, you have huge differences between local independents and larger companies. It's up to you to decide who you want to go for. Some independents can quote you a small amount and then once they arrive they quote you a much more expensive price. Dealing with larger companies such as Electric Ireland reduces the chance of that happening.

For my house, a local independent charged me 300 euro for the installation (I bought the charger myself). An officially recommended electrician quoted me 750 euro + vat. The difference is huge. I went for the cheaper one obviously. It ended up taking 2 men around 3 hours, plus a 3rd man for certification. For 300 euro it is a bargain. However, they have drawbacks as well. They stopped answering any of my questions as soon as they took the money. I had to find out a lot of nitty gritty details and tips myself. If the charger goes wrong within a year where it should be covered by warranty, I don't know how enthusiastic they would be to come over to take a look.

Btw - Electric Ireland has a set price. No matter how easy or how hard the job is, the price doesn't change. So it makes sense for people who have complex issues, but not for those easy ones (especially those whose houses are built in the last few years).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

€650 is fairly steep for a standard install but you will find many cheaper options without much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Whilst there is decent money to made installing these Chargers, i don't think it's anything more than that.

You've the cost of the units themselves then the additional stuff such as cabling, switches, RCD/MCB boxes, tools, vans, driving, etc, etc.

Running a company ain't cheap either so you can't look at these costs vs sole traders.

I don't begrudge it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

After a second opinion turns out I need earth rods (€150) and the tails upgrade as standard. No need for rewire or anything like that. Just incase anyone else is in same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭eagerv

Wrong thread..

The issue is that the chargers themselves are over €500 and in some cases, €7-800. So the lads fitting them are only taking €400ish on top.

they have to pay tax, travel, insurance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've always had this theory that if you get a shockingly high quote it's because the guy doesn't really want the job

I've been quoted nearly €2k for installation only, pretty sure the guy just looked at the job and decided it was too much hassle

I feel like some of the justification for the high price has gone out the window now that installations can be done from the meter box. Fair enough there's travel and equipment costs, but can't see that job needing more than a half days work

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

How does getting an Andersen work with the grant? Can you simply source it and get it installed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 SlitDrip

If you supplied the charger then why would you expect the installer to answer your questions ?

Advertisement