Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Yes. Good point . I see young people being driven to schools across a small town in SUVs. Why can’t they cycle or even use scooters. Although I note that electrically charged scooters now require a licence / insurance etc and can be seized in the absence of same . So much for joined up thinking !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

alright then, Their parents, 30 - 40 year olds that are worrying about the future or lack of it that their children face, I don't see much cutbacks there.

Why change anything if everyone isn't buying into it, The traffic on the road, the planes in the sky(which I believe aren't going to be forced to reduce) industry and all the other countries that are going to ignore the rules

They should have insurance, we can't have people getting injured by scooters and no hope of Compo.

Getting the Garda to enforce it would be another job. but yes, anyone putting €100 fuel/week into a car, is contributing to climate change too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why change anything if everyone isn't buying into it

Few societal level changes happened immediately or with consensus. In our life times, we have seen national votes on referenda topics flip from being voted against to being voted for (Divorce and Abortion).

The change in votes came as consequence of advocacy for something and a public conversation on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

If the world ran out of oil tomorrow or it became way to expensive. What will vegetarians do.

Because nearly everything they eat is imported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

As regards the insurance requirement for scooters- if we keep thinking the same way as heretofore nothing will change . Why allow the insurance industry to build up another mini industry ? We need to think differently in terms of transport . Another example is the over zealous nature of the NCT which results in the scrapping of cars that would have been regarded as fine ten years ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

True and a bug bear of mine perfect cars with very little wrong scrapped

Also the electric car thing is a complete sham imo if the costs to the environment from start to finish of an electric car was made up I reckon most small one litre cars are way more efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

but this hasn't been voted on it is being imposed, who said that the reduction had to be 50% why is that not even open for discussion.

Even the media are now questioning whether these targets can now be delivered when the reality of it is finally dawning. This evening on newstalk the environmental zealot Karla Agustenberg when questioned about the practicalities of such severe reductions and whether people will take it said , its now a legal requirement and binding. In other words these are the laws you cannot get out of it, we are in power now and you will do as we say, the whole tone is very menacing actually.

When these targets were signed into law last year, there was virtually no opposition, Sinn Fein were as quite as a mouse, the only real opposition actually came from the Healy Raes who were very vociferous on the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm not suggesting people should lie back and take whatever comes their way, but to suggest that this is happening without discussion is a bit disingenuous, we have had years of active discussion on the topic and the FG led, FF supporting government signed Ireland up to the Paris Agreement and then dragged their feet in a deplorable fashion with respect to advocating for anything meaningful to bring about the reductions.

And to describe Augustenberg as a zealot is also being disingenuous, she is much more appropriately placed to comment on the topic than most, and certainly the Healy-Raes given her training as an environmental scientist.

I come from a farming background, and have no wish to demonise farming excessively or hold them solely responsible for emission reductions. As I said in an earlier post, I believe societies focus is out of whack in a serious way in terms of sustainability and I think change is needed in many areas so I don't think it should be all down to agriculture but neither that agriculture should be absolved from having to make any changes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A few comments

I think there is a campaign going on at the moment to apply pressure to livestock production in Ireland with a view to getting rid of sucklers in particular so that land of a poorer quality that often supports sucklers will be planted.this is being done to facilitate the trade in carbon credits so business s can access those credits.

In terms of the actual climate global impact of reducing production in Ireland will be a replacing of that production with a product that has greater negative impact.

I can't believe the difference in the way different industries are being treated. Agriculture and food production is carbon aware with the co sumer whereas many other consumer fields the carbon effect is not as available and often ignored and hidden.

If renewable energy is to become mainstream then people will have to adjust their lifestyle to suit the natural variability that follows renewable s.this would mean consumption follows production rather production following consumption as currently happens.at the moment renewable s are hugely dependent on fossil fuels to fit Into the system.

Which rings us onto the last point ,everyone thinks everyone else should do more and noone is really ready to buy in themselves farmers included.i accept that there is a need to change but I don't understand the whole emissions calculations and there seems to be a number of inconsistencies in the way they are calculated.

Last no personal comments,these are opinions and debate the subject not the poster.there is good potential in this thread

• Advertisement

Agree with everything you said there and just to add it seems to me that it's a follow on from the vegan dust up that was national news for a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭endainoz

They'll come back yet, guaranteed the vegan issue would have been much bigger by now if it wasn't for covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

The top 10 most polluting countries according to the IPCC:

1. Qatar — 37.05 per capita
    2. Kuwait — 23.49 per capita
    3. Saudi Arabia — 19.39 per capita
    4. Canada — 16.85 per capita
    5. United States — 15.74 per capita
    6. Germany — 9.7 per capita
    7. China — 7.72 per capita
    8. Spain — 6.09 per capita
    9. France — 5.02 per capita
    10. Thailand — 4.05 per capita

I am pretty sure the best way to tackle pollution and environmental damage would be to ban all products from high polluting countries and buy the more expensive visions from more cleaner sources where available but I don't think government have the strength to move towards a more direct approach and lose face internationally. We probably also need to move away from single House's all together and only build apartment blocks near towns and cities. I would personally think these two big changes would get us where we need to be faster than the current approaches even though I don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

When Covid struck, the last place you wanted to be was living in an apartment.

I am hoping that our planners and those with a desire to rewild the countryside and shunt us all in to towns and cities do not have such short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Posted this in the wrong thread earlier. Should be in here.

I was having a conversation with a nephew (24) and his girlfriend last night about climate change.

They had some interesting things to say about how they are saving the climate.

They only go abroad twice a year.

They eat organic food and only have meat twice a week at most.

They put everything in the recycle bins.

They dont have a car.

They both have eco friendly water bottles and reusable coffee cups.

Now all of my brothers and sisters, my parents and myself have always been good at being environmentally friendly so they were very proud telling me this.

Oh they thought they were great and had saved the planet from us oldies.

I pointed out to them to be careful what they wish for too, because in a few years most of the people paying all this extra tax will be retired and they will be the ones paying the tax for it then. One of them isnt working and the other is paying very little tax.

What I didnt point out to them but noted myself were these things.

They live with my sister (his mother). She buys the meat (and all the other organic food) and its her decision to only give them meat twice a week, not theirs. THey eat her out of house and home anyway.

They dont have a car but my brother in law had dropped them up to the pub and collected them to bring them home after (thats every time they go to the pub). He drops him in to work too and collects him. And drops her into the the town when she is going in, which by my BILs complaints is almost every day.

They have only gone abroad twice - this year. Every other year they are off on city breaks way more than that.

They showed me their eco coffee cups, but they were both drinking bottled beer while they proudly showed me the cups.

Their mother is the one who cleans up after them and sorts their stuff for the bins.

They have a pc and a playstation in their room and are playing fortnight every time im in the house. I hope they realize they will have to go once their green conscience realizes.

Their eco footprints were way higher than mine. They werent actually trying, they were just living in the house of someone who was trying.

But yet they were comp[laining that others werent doing enough and were killing the planet.

@Lime Tree Farm had a great and true quote last night. "Before, They were ignorant and backward, today they are forward and ignorent"

It sums up a lot of people today, Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Not quite.

The Eu was originally set up as the European coal and steel community.

Wars are often about energy resources.

But yes, people don’t eat coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Be alright once all apartments have to have a windowsill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The narrative is spun of grassland emitting Co2 in Ireland by all (the media savy complainers) to put farmers on the backfoot to then look into where they got their figures for grassland emitting Co2. Then when you drill down into it's only the high carbon peat soils which makes 10% of that grassland that they say emits Co2. That then forces you (mineral soil grassland farmers) not them to say it's the peat soil is the problem.

Note they have never mentioned tilled ground in Ireland emitting Co2. They can't because that would harm the narrative of cows and grassland and dilute the waters for the plant based movement.

It seems the plan is their not to plant peat soil with trees but to rewild (get that stock off), rewet those areas with or without the farmers permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

But those are the countries that produce all our industrial output, there are no alternatives, you can't buy ugg boots, electric cars, petrol cars , beer , covid vaccines, pep scan machines, breast scan machines, mri scan machines. etc etc if you choose not to buy from those countries.

You end up with a Cambodia year zero like under the Khmer rouge, with millions dead

• Advertisement

Muirrean OConnell said this morning on Breakfast telly '' There's not too many cattle, but there's too many people'' fair point.

We've overloaded the planet and our emissions are killing it,

We breed like rabbits, but nature can control rabbits, but we're too well educated in health and medicine to let nature work

Overconsumption and waste are the real issues

People are eating too much, wasting too much food, going on too many holidays, buying too many clothes and electronic goods

People won’t change until it will be too late. They will say “but China is burning coal to keep industry going” when most of the junk we buy is made there

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Irish farmers just need to start growing high quality low cost coffee beans and the Greens would leave them alone 😄

Yes but this is what it's going to take unless there's a huge leap forward in technology to clean the air an awful lot of these things are going to have to stop including the internet 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

wait until the cost of everyday essentials goes through the roof, they wont be able to afford the luxuries

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

And they're discussing taking food producers out of business, you couldn't make it up. Starving the people would be one way of reducing the population alright.

Poor fertiliser supply will be the kick off of reducing food availability. Food security worries has to be just round the corner now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think the worst thing about climate boloxology is that it's all a big lie. I don't mean a massive conspiracy, just a smaller scale one having fooled a lot of people.

I am not a climate denier - I think the CO2 levels are increasing and that the temperature probably is too, I just think there is a very reasonable alternative explanation for these observations and that there will be an alternative eventual outcome - which will not be runaway warming - quite the reverse.

The Earth has been in an Ice Age for about 3 million years. Within this Age you have periods of glaciation, which occur with fairly consistent regularity in terms of timing. We are possibly overdue the next one, going on timing alone.

From Ice cores and ocean bed mud cores, it has been established that just before a glaciation period starts, CO2 levels rise dramatically fast, the average global temperature rises dramatically fast and the Atlantic conveyor ocean current, that keeps Europe from being as cold as Canada in winter, slows and stops.

So we currently have rising CO2, rising temperature and the Atlantic conveyor looks like it's about to stop completely and the timing for the next glaciation event is perfect. I think this is why the climate scientists stopped calling it global warming and changed it to climate change - so when the massive ice sheets start to crush the northern hemisphere, they can blame it on mankinds CO2 emissions and claim they were right. I suspect some people will actually catch on to the lie and the name change trick by then.

Someone, I think it was @Danzy said in another thread that countries will have to safeguard strategic interests going forward.

Surely we wouldn't be dumb enough to sacrifice food production for foreign holidays and importation of tat? Common sense will have to prevail at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you included the CO2 produced from exported and burnt fossil fuels, Norway would probably top that list.

Advertisement