Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black History Month Ireland, why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I went to college in China... my university only did memorisation. Critical thinking was not allowed.

Are you an English teacher?

Look. If all you want to do is deflect rather than deal with what was said. Fine.

Nice of you to introduce a "fact" that you didn't provide previously.

Funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yes, someone claiming there is no Black Irish History before the 90's is the definition of ignorance (lack of knowledge).

I said that ignorance on race topics is pervasive on boards, it pops up every few pages so there is no need to try to go through the archives it pops up every few hours.

I've taught English. 😂 Everyone does at one stage or another. I mainly lecture Business Administration courses, along with financial ethics for the CFA majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I really hate this new site for these kinds of discussions.

Agreed. It's pure shíte on that score.

Do you not include social media in your definition of media - if you believe it is just traditional formats then fair enough but the modern concept for most includes online and social media and to me you'd have to have blinkers on to not see it.

And still none of that post would or could have come seeping from right wing Yanks. It's incredibly Irish specific.

Have stood corrected on this - should have used Latinx history month.

LatinX? 😂 Ah man you've totally swallowed the right on American stuff, just as much as the Right wingers swallowed their own brand of US nonsense. You will only find Latinx on the most right on and on point naratives because apparently it's not cisgender or somesuch ballsology. Bugger all Latinos, or Latinas for that matter would use it. For a start it sounds really bloody awkward en Espanol. It's a completely makey uppey word by US college social studies types.

If they said we have limited black history I wouldn't have pulled them up on that, though their absolutely racist post, that you have had no problem with, would still be despicable.

I see what you did there. Man, could you be any more obvious? I made no comment on the content of the post, didn't thank it and only referenced it as an example you brought up. For the record I found it overly simplistic and one sided. However if we truly wanted to discuss Black history in Ireland in recent years; leaving out the jui soli loophole, the sudden influx of "asylum seekers" often with remarkable fecundity in a fair few and the fact that the vast majority would be rejected for residency if they had applied in the last ten years would be a tad disingenuous. Indeed it would be rewriting history. Not just African folks either, Georgia and Albania would be in that mix too and last time I looked they're White. Indeed the first law case that made the news on this loophole was a Chinese woman. When Leo Varadkar mentioned this in relation to recent rejections of bogus asylum seekers he name checked the latter two, but studiously avoided the first in the list. That which must not be spoken off apparently.

What is a plain fact is that Ireland has celebrated it for the last 11 years and society has not crumbled.

Agreed. Nobody, Black, White or whatever you're having yourself, really gives a damn and it's more for minor political currency, photo ops, RTE to throw in a tokenism here and there and for the bunch of vested overlapping interest NGO's to look relevant.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What are you talking about? Did you not even read my previous response. That was one of the facts I highlighted that you later called 'opinion'

Here is my post:

Specifically:

Many posters have created fairytales in their heads about to make them feel like they'd be on the side of MLK but based on the logic they use to complain about anti-racism protests today they'd clearly be on the other side of history. They have no idea of MLK's beliefs about people with their same opinions that they express today, the 'violent' groups connected with many of the protests at that time, many of the very left wing views held by them, the 'violent' comments/speeches that were made etc etc.

The violent groups that were associated with those protests, the 'violent' terms used in speeches, and the very left wing views are also facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I never memorised anything in school... still did well.

Let me try to explain the Chinese system.

Monday: "For your homework tonight, memorise pages 1 - 5".

Tuesday: "For your homework tonight, memorise pages 6 - 10".

And so on.

These aren't poems or something. This is like someone telling you to memorise all the pages of your geography book. There's no discussion, or debate, or trying to understand the contents of the book. It's just... memorise the pages.

It's unreal. The average Chinese person doesn't know anything. It's such a shame because Chinese people raised and living in the West tend to do quite well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Never really got the gra for King TBH. I far prefer Malcolm X.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Hold on a second. I've asked you multiple times for evidence, quotes, or such to back up your statements, which you have consistently refused to do, or deflected away from doing... and you want me to provide evidence to support my point?

Hilarious. No.. seriously.. I'm in the absolute giggles that I would invest any kind of research or linking for someone who has resisted so strongly to requests to do the same. And for what? I've been on boards long enough to know exactly what your reaction to any links would be. Nah. I'll pass.

As I said earlier, there really is no point.

The violent groups that were associated with those protests, the 'violent' terms used in speeches, and the very left wing views are also facts.

Ahh the paragraph that came across as gibberish to me. Sure, the first two sentences made sense, but the remainder of the paragraph seemed to lead into messed up sentences.

Although how you would equate the above example of a fact with that paragraph escapes me.

Look I'll make this easy. I'm bowing out of this discussion with you because it's just going to go around in circles, dragging us away from the thread topic, and ultimately neither of us is going to agree. If you were going to agree and move on, you would have done so before now. And you haven't provided any real evidence of others ignorance being commonplace, and you're not going to. So.. let's just let this part of the argument die.

• Advertisement

Malcolm X, demanding the black american community take a hard look at themselves first, make changes, equal and exceed others, then get treated equally. A black American Nationalist movement that sought to find solutions from themselves to their own problems, rather than blame everybody else. I can see why You prefer Malcolm and also why he never got the same attention as Martin

And still none of that post would or could have come seeping from right wing Yanks. It's incredibly Irish specific.

Disagree, the terminology that is used with anything race related is clear. Not sure we should be considering here social media but the links a certain element share when it comes to race discussions shows exactly where they're getting their info.

LatinX? 😂 Ah man you've totally swallowed the right on American stuff, just as much as the Right wingers swallowed their own brand of US nonsense. You will only find Latinx on the most right on and on point naratives because apparently it's not cisgender or somesuch ballsology. Bugger all Latinos, or Latinas for that matter would use it. For a start it sounds really bloody awkward en Espanol. It's a completely makey uppey word by US college social studies types.

Not sure why you're getting tied up on what we could name a potential Central and South American Month. I'll leave you to name it.

I see what you did there. Man, could you be any more obvious? I made no comment on the content of the post, didn't thank it and only referenced it as an example you brought up. For the record I found it overly simplistic and one sided. However if we truly wanted to discuss Black history in Ireland in recent years; leaving out the jui soli loophole, the sudden influx of "asylum seekers" often with remarkable fecundity in a fair few and the fact that the vast majority would be rejected for residency if they had applied in the last ten years would be a tad disingenuous. Indeed it would be rewriting history. Not just African folks either, Georgia and Albania would be in that mix too and last time I looked they're White. Indeed the first law case that made the news on this loophole was a Chinese woman. When Leo Varadkar mentioned this in relation to recent rejections of bogus asylum seekers he name checked the latter two, but studiously avoided the first in the list. That which must not be spoken off apparently.

All I did was point out how you ignored blatant racism by a poster and instead choosing to repeatedly correct my semantics - it wasn't anything but obvious, as I am always intrigued by posters who take that approach.

Agreed. Nobody, Black, White or whatever you're having yourself, really gives a damn and it's more for minor political currency, photo ops, RTE to throw in a tokenism here and there and for the bunch of vested overlapping interest NGO's to look relevant.

Mostly agree, though I would add I am sure there are a few openminded people learned something new and it his also been some good red meat for those who are forever outraged by anything associated with the black community (as seen here).

He was far too scary for many, MLK is much easier to sweep away his more 'controversial' elements - leads many to be unaware of them.

It's unreal. The average Chinese person doesn't know anything. It's such a shame because Chinese people raised and living in the West tend to do quite well.

They know their provincial history and culture better than any other nationality I've encountered. They also still have the ability to know their complete family lineage going back centuries, which few westerners could manage to do. Most of my students will still have a solid connection to their national culture, knowing the words to all the songs, being able to repeat the stories in both modern and traditional Chinese, along with their local dialect.

TBH I'd consider Chinese people, on average, to be more practical than modern Irish people. In many ways they remind me of my parents generation or my grandparents. Less interest in philosophy and more interest in what puts food on the table.

There's a lot of downsides to Chinese culture and modern Chinese society.. don't get me wrong.. there are serious problems from bullying, abusive personalities, to the focus on examinations so students learn for the exam, and forget everything the next day. Yes, there are problems, but there are a crapton of positives too. China is one of those places where extremes rule, and most of them have opposites present depending on which province you're in, or whether you're talking about girls vs boys, or whatever.

You seem to have a rather negative impression of Chinese people... where and what did you study?

Ah the paragraph where you weren't sure what I meant so jumped to a conclusion and claimed they were opinions rather than facts...

You also missed my sarcasm in my last post - I wouldn't be up my arse enough to expect people to waste time digging through other threads for 'evidence' 😂

I'll leave you to your blinkered world where boards isn't a complete sewer for racial ignorance, most of the time completely willful ignorance.

MLK became the acceptable Black face for White middle America. He pandered to their sense of charity and patronisation and the BS of "colour blindness" with admittedly pretty speeches. Malcolm didn't and couldn't. Plus Malcolm evolved massively in his short life. From a bloody harsh background never mind being Black in Jim Crow America, turning to crime, ending up in gaol, then becoming a self educated widely read man who turned his life completely around. He came to conclusions, sometimes from external influencers yes, but would always question those conclusions and come to his own in time. A sure sign of an actual thinker. A rare enough commodity. You could see that with his connection to Islam. Starts off as a Nation of Islam* adherent who goes to the top levels there, questions that and after he decided to dig deeper and go to Mecca and fully changed his position. Ditto after meeting various White revolutionaries and aid workers in his trips across the world, he rethought and acknowledged his own prejudices. Malcolm X was a far more rounded and complex and intelligent man than MLK ever was in my humble. Now he was a ginger too, but nobody's perfect. 😁

*a wacky American sect, from a nation that was founded by them and remains full of them. It's only got a passing resemblance to Islam and handily forgets the part that Muslim slavers played long before and long after the trade that carried them to America. It's easy to be derisory about it, but this was pre these interwebs days when we're all armchair experts after a quick google and it did give a lot of urban Black men and women a sense of pride, community and purpose and more a sense of pride community and purpose beyond and without Whitey in the mix. They weren't looking for scraps from the oppressors table, they were looking to build their own table and eat their own food on their own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Dr Hart argued that there was about 1,000-10,000 Africans in Ireland in the later half of the 18th cen but it is very hard to know. Basically he found 160 mentions in papers of  'blackamoors', 'negro blacks', or simply 'blacks between 1750-99. He then estimates the records would only mention 1 in 10 to 60, but there are a few problems, some of these people might be the same individuals counted twice and we have no idea what 160 mentions means or how to estimate a population from that. But fair play to him for doing the work and writing this paper. Hopefully this will be detected on sites like 23andMe.

He did an awful lot of extrapolation, to the point where his hypothesis is essentially worthless beyond a passing fancy that makes for a small headline. There have been a few genetic studies of the Irish population. There was from UCD iirc a few years back and that found the Irish population was pretty, even remarkably generic by European standards, with some Viking/English in the East and Scots in the North. No mention of African found in the mix. In similar studies in the UK they find ancient Britons, Vikings, Saxons, even traces of Roman and yep some later African genes too. Which makes sense. Britain was invaded more times and had more back and forth with the closer continent and was wealthier with a larger population density than Ireland. By the Industrial revolution it was an economic powerhouse which tends to attract more and more people from outside.

Ireland by contrast outside of Belfast and the building of canals and later railways(but not at the same density as England )pretty much had no industrial revolution to speak of. For a start it didn't have much coal or iron, the fuels of the new age. It had food and textiles and that was about the biggest export through the ports. I could certainly see Black sailors and merchants showing up from time to time in ports like Cork, Dublin and Waterford, or Black servants which was the "in thing" in the 18th century for the well heeled, but people actually living here in those kind of numbers? I'm not seeing it. Never mind that they appear to have pretty much vanished by the 20th century.

Consider another diaspora that did and do still live here and had influence and impact on Irish history and were recorded as such*; Irish Jews. There were significantly more Jews in England than in Ireland and for the above same reasons.

*going on memory here; there were a couple of lads, merchant types, who showed up to some Irish royal or other in the 11th century, probably got the bum's rush and fecked off, then not much recorded for a while, then a Jewish lad gets elected as mayor of Cobh in the 1500s. Interesting one that. There would have been vanishingly few places in Europe that would have elected a Jewish mayor back then. Even these days might be a stretch in some places. The involvement with politics seems to have become a thing with the Jewish Irish and there are a fair few examples from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

How earlier? I don't remember anyone in this country ever referring to Japan as a manufacturer of cheap goods in such a manner. It was always a jibe at China or Taiwan who have a long history of selling cheap tat to the west, especially in the form of toys and trinkets.

That's Americans.

Plus, how old are you that you "...remember a time when made in Japan was a way of saying 'cheap and shoddy'"

We got the same shíte toys etc. here. Just because you never heard the phrase in that context does not mean it was not used here.

Not your ornery onager

I'll leave you to your blinkered world where boards isn't a complete sewer for racial ignorance, most of the time completely willful ignorance.

Ahh well, I don't think boards is such a sewer of racist opinions/beliefs. It's the internet. Different opinions exist, and most of them aren't truly racist, but designed to get a rise out of someone, or simply the definition of what racism includes has been expanded so much by American culture to include just about any negative observation or criticism. Regardless of whether it's based in fact or not.

Although I would point out that your statement above works both ways. There are a lot of posters who seem to believe that Black (or insert disadvantaged racial group) can't do any wrong, can't ever be held responsible even slightly for their present circumstances, and will flat out refuse to recognise the racism that goes on by that group towards others. These same posters seem to have embraced some kind of masochistic self-hate of the white race, going out of their way to express their thoughts on how white people are some kind of scourge to all those innocent preferred racial groups. Just as these same posters will claim some amazing and inslightful superior knowledge that can't be measured because they dodge and deflect whenever asked to clarify their observations.

So... yeah.. there's all kinds of posters on boards. Gosh. Isn't it great! Not the echo chamber you can find on American forums, or other forms of social media.

Dunno much about Malcolm X... is the movie reasonably accurate? (It is a brilliant movie)

Ok and we're going more than a little off piste here... I was an ickle baby when the Beatles were still a band, Elvis was still skinny and Neil and Buzz bounced about on the moon, so going back a fair while. My abiding memory, a 70's one to be fair, was that Made in Japan was pretty good, Made in Germany was very good, Made in the USA was rare enough, but the lowest by a Hector Greys(showing my age) was Made in Hong Kong. Made in Taiwan similarly. That was the cheap tat. Made in China from my memory was low on the list of recognisable stuff at all. TBH my general memory is that Made in China only really took hold in the 90's?

Oh I know of it as a post war racist hangover for Americans. And during the war Zippo used an advert saying "Don't flip the wick of some Jap crap". There was lots of racist anti Japanese sentiment floating around in that part of the world. But I would be surprised if it was ever used here, in Ireland, as a pejorative.

• Advertisement

"Made in Japan" was never a sign of dodgy goods here in Ireland and by the 70's/80's every Tom, Dick and Harry was driving around in a Datsun or a Toyota, or watching a Sharp TV or watching a Sony video...and I remember the tat that Hector Greys sold very well. I had plenty of toy guns bought from there a lot of which had "Made in China" or "Made in Taiwan" stamped on the side.

The Japanese always had a good name, especially as far as electronic goods were concerned.

Advertisement