Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

To get mocked by the Woke mob is a compliment, in my view; it means you're either doing or saying something right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

What he said in 2006 in relation to Hillsborough "All I did wrong there was tell the truth. There was a surge of Liverpool fans who had been drinking and that is what caused the disaster. The only thing different we did was put it under the headline "The Truth". I went on The World at One the next day and apologised. I only did that because Rupert Murdoch told me to. I wasn't sorry then and I'm not sorry now because we told the truth."..... So honestly you seem to esteem utter scum on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MacKenzie showed himself to be sub-human scum with the Belgrano headline. Hillsborough just verified what we already knew.

He's spent the last few years coasting on Twitter boasting about a company he sold a decade and a half ago and circulation figures of a paper he left in 1994. He doesn't mention his disaster of a TV channel.

That said, the absolute fabrications of stories he "ran" in his newspaper career would go along with some of the fabrications coming on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Kelvin McKenzie distinguishes himself, by being a slug of a person among slugs in the most slug ridden industry in Britain.

The irresponsibility of the tabloid media in GB is well on its way to ending the United Kingdom altogether. Quite an achievement for the flag waving, jingoistic xenophobes that they are.

• Advertisement

MacKenzie is outspoken and sometimes says "controversial" things. I don't have a problem with that, even if I happen to disagree with some things.

He has been very successful at what he does, so that ranks him up there in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well he's a racist, homophobic prick so of course you will stick up for him.

"You just don't understand the readers, do you, eh? He's the bloke you see in the pub, a right old fascist, wants to send the wogs back, buy his poxy council house, he's afraid of the unions, afraid of the Russians, hates the queers and the weirdos and drug dealers. He doesn't want to hear about that stuff (serious news).[9]"

On Farage tonight, MacKenzie admitted that both the Belgrano headline and Hillsborough were mistakes.

I doubt any editor for almost 15 years could go through that length of time and come out the other end completely unscathed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Even by your standards of defending the worst of British cultural refuse, this is pathetic. They weren't mistakes, they were calculated acts of malice for the sole purpose of selling sleazy little rags.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You've really overdosed on Farage juice to call a creature like McKenzie esteemed.

But I guess GBNews knows what its audience wants.

• Advertisement

If MacKenzie deems them to be mistakes, who am I to disagree?

The man is a blatant liar, he even admitted he made things up just to sell papers no matter what harm he caused.

So you will disagree with Oxfam and the Seuss estate but not your latest idol MacKenzie.

The fact that he said in 2006 that they weren't mistakes and he was forced to apologise makes it pretty unbelievable that he's suddenly feeling remorse now... So nope, I'm not gonna take his word..

So you lap it up without any critical thought whatsoever? All you seem to care about is your weird anti-woke crusade. So much so that you seem completely unwilling to even think about what you're told so long as whoever is spouting nonsense fulfils isn't guilty of wrongthink in your eyes.

MacKenzie is just another grubby little cultural tumour. This weird caste nonsense where the plebs are not supposed to criticise their superiors doesn't wash with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Mistake" implies an error was made. An error wasn't made, a decision was made, as evident by Mackenzie and The Sun's years of refusal to acknowledge or apologise.

Mackenzie only says it's a 'mistake' now because it was legally proven that there's no way he can stand by it any more.

Oh Nigel Farage is set to appear on Tonight Live with Mark Dolan. Double dose of Farage tonight.

You adore racists, no wonder you can't get enough of Farage, thankfully every post you make here shows everyone reading exactly the kind of person you are.

If I adored racists, I'd adore Jeremy Corbyn.

I don't adore Jeremy Corbyn....

Well you have fawned over every racist Farage has had on his show, maybe it's only Tory racists you adore?

• Advertisement

Bingo.

If you arent Tory you automatically fail the adoration test regardless of whatever else you say.

The problem is that once you express a desire to control borders, you get called racist. It's part of the territory at this stage.

But all countries control their borders.

Are Australians and Canadians racist for controlling their borders? Of course not.

But when the UK opted to Brexit, supporters are by default labelled as racist - even though what they support is no different to what we see in Canada, Japan, India, Australia - and pretty much every country on the planet.

That's one of the reasons GB News was established; to have a sense of pride in one's country and not to bow down to those who call you racist and other abusive labels.

I haven't mentioned Borders or brexit, I'm on about MacKenzie, he's a racist but yet again we have had you fawning over a racist simply because farage had him on his show.

You have done this multiple times with multiple racist guests of farage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

and still some people feel so triggered by it, they have been posting about it for months, calling for an imminent cancellation that isn't going to happen

That's a lie

No one has asked for it to be cancelled, were just laughing aloud as we watch it's slow death all on its own.

Rather than stating everyone is a racist, why not provide some evidence to sustain your claim that MacKenzie is a racist?

Sure

Here he is being racist

"You just don't understand the readers, do you, eh? He's the bloke you see in the pub, a right old fascist, wants to send the wogs back, buy his poxy council house, he's afraid of the unions, afraid of the Russians, hates the queers and the weirdos and drug dealers. He doesn't want to hear about that stuff (serious news).[9]"

And another

"Some other controversies that occurred under MacKenzie include a headline describing Australian Aborigines as "The Abo's: Brutal and Treacherous" (which was condemned as "inaccurate" and "unacceptably racist" by the Press Council)"

Here he is being a liar

"In January 1987, MacKenzie published a totally unfounded front-page story alleging that pop singer Elton John had had sex with underage rentboys. Shortly afterwards, MacKenzie published further entirely false allegations that the singer had had the voiceboxes of his guard dogs removed because their barking kept him awake at night. "

Here's another

"MacKenzie at one point ran a story about a previously unknown member of the public who had just undergone a heart transplant operation, the story denouncing the man as a "love rat", Sun journalists having been told that he had left his wife 15 years earlier. Aside from criticism about the story's highly questionable news value, the newspaper was furiously condemned as the story was run when the man's recovery was still in the balance.[8]"

And another

"MacKenzie and his team were accused of simply inventing many of the stories that appeared in the newspaper, as well as interviews, and in some instances this proved to be the case, such as when an entirely fabricated interview with the disfigured Falklands war hero Simon Weston was published, which was criticised for "inviting readers to feel revulsion at his disfigurement"."

Here he is being a...well a cùnt if you will

"MacKenzie's sending of photographers to break into a psychiatric hospital to ask actor Jeremy Brett, who was a patient in the hospital at the time and who was suffering from manic depression and dying of cardiomyopathy, whether he was "dying of AIDS". The newspaper apparently suspected Brett of being a homosexual and that his mystery illness might be AIDS, which it was not."

His excuse??

"When I published those stories, they were not lies. They were great stories that later turned out to be untrue – and that is different. What am I supposed to feel ashamed about?"

The man is a racist, a liar and a homophobe, bit I'm sure you will either ignore this post or come up with some sort of mealy mouthed excuse for the things he has said and done, you've done it with every other odious guest farage has had on before and I expect this to be no different.

It'll be interesting to see you start defending comparing someone of African heritage to an Ape.

So, we're trying to establish whether Kelvin MacKenzie is a racist - and you bring up rentboys, Elton John, and AIDS.

The first quote regarding the typical Sun reader is tongue-in-cheek; and it's quite funny when you accept that context. In fact, you'd probably agree with a large part of it, no?

I don't think abbreviating Aboriginals as "Abo's" is racist; it's just how slimy tabloid newspapers operate.

I've no issue if you think he's a " c*** ", to use your language, and that may well be entirely true.

But on the issue of active racism, I don't see it. For sure, I see a deliberately provocative editor generating headlines for cash - perhaps even shamelessly. He did generate substantial profits for the newspaper which haven't been replicated in recent years.

On the gorilla quote, he didn't even know about the footballer's background. In fact, looking at the footballer now (and I've never seen him before), I'd never have known he had black ancestry. He could easily be Latino, for example.

• Advertisement

So predictable :D

He used the word "wog" that's a racist remark, and just because you don't deem the word "abo" to be racist doesn't mean it isn't.

The Elton Jon part was to show you he was not only a racist bit an outright, proven liar. Why would you believe anything a proven liar says?

As predicted you went for the mealy mouthed excuse route to justify his blatant racism.

It cant be long until GBNews wheels out an actual convict and Eskimo starts cheering the convict on saying he was innocent.

The audulation for all things Farage is hilarious.

I don't believe using inappropriate language makes a person inherently racist.

I think context matters far more. It's the context of what's said - and not what we believe the speaker means by it.

If you read the entire quote, it's quite clearly tongue-in-cheek; he's describing his own readers to a journalist asking about it. He's trying to be humorous. You may dislike his style in the 80s, but that's how people spoke. In many ways, people still speak like that today.

Another example would be queers. Is use of that term inherently homophobic? No. For example, I would use it - and other homosexuals, and there's no issue whatsoever. However, if some hateful person approaches a couple of homosexuals down a darkened alley and threatened them using the word, that's a very different context indeed.

"You may dislike his style in the 80s, but that's how people spoke. In many ways, people still speak like that today."

I grew up in the 80's neither I nor anyone I knew would use the word "wog" to describe a person of colour.

You will literally say ANYTHING to defend the racists that farage continually has on his show. Why is it that the guests he has on always seem to have a shìtty background of racism, bigotry, homophobia?

It's because farage knows that the low IQ people who watch his show are the people who talk like that.

I've never heard the term before today, to be honest.

That said, when seen in the wider quote and the clear context in which it was said - no, I don't think that makes Kelvin a permanent racist who literally hates black people. Is it insensitive language? Perhaps.

Do I think Kelvin has a visceral, undying hatred for black people? No, I just don't see it.

For instance, Diane Abbott said a couple of years ago that West Indian mothers would do anything for their kids, implying that white mothers would not. Do I consider Diane a racist? No, I don't. Was it perhaps insensitive use of language? Yes, most probably.

We cannot always jump on the offense brigade and declare everyone who disagrees with us racists, homophobes, transphobes, Islamophobes, and every other kind of -ism or -phobe.

It's so simple to think like that, but also highly inaccurate.

• Advertisement

So you have never heard the term before bit claimed earlier

"You may dislike his style in the 80s, but that's how people spoke. In many ways, people still speak like that today."

As I said, ANY excuse to defend farage and his racist ilk.

Yes, for sure, I googled what the term meant - then read the term in the context in which it was said.

And the mealy mouthed excuses just keep on coming.

When Jeremy Corbyn expressed racism against Jewish people, you didn't have half the indignation you're expressing now. The opprobrium with which you hold MacKenzie is in stark contrast to Corbyn's own racism.

That speaks volumes, it really does...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

For instance, Diane Abbott said a couple of years ago that West Indian mothers would do anything for their kids, implying that white mothers would not. Do I consider Diane a racist? No, I don't. Was it perhaps insensitive use of language? Yes, most probably.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

F*ck sake, eskimohunt, at least try to put up a reasonable argument.

You've defended Kelvin Mackenzie, Nigel Farage, David Starkey and countless others who have made comments widely condemned as racist. Your defence is "Diane Abbott said West Indian mothers would do anything for their children implying that white mothers would not"

Get ta f*ck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Is referring to Scottish people as "tartan tosspots" considered racist? How about asserting that it is "good news" that Scottish people are "dying sooner than the rest of us"? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

At a certain point, it will probably make sense for people like you to pivot from denying (obvious) racism to just saying 'sure, it's racist - so what? That's what a lot of people think'. I don't think that pivot is too far away given the trends of the last decade.

Kelvin MacKenzie is of Scottish genetic brew; he is entitled to speak that way if he so chooses.

Again, he is deliberately provocative and tries to cause offense to make a point.

If we're honest, he has clearly succeeded in that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"esteemed"

The masturbatory nonsense you come out with to shill for this crap channel is quite disturbing. There's something really wrong at play here on a mental level for someone to be constantly knocking one out this hard for something like GBNews and the collection of piss they have as guests on this poor excuse for a show. Kelvin MacKenzie being the latest jar of human waste to show his ugly visage. A cunt who made up scurrilous stories to sell his shitrag of a newspaper.

There is nothing "esteemed" about Kelvin MacKenzie.

That would require honesty. Not something that would ever be used by Farage, GBNews or its devout members.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Kelvin McKenzie is an utterly repugnant excuse for a human being.

He may not technically be a racist, but what he absolutely is is an amoral swine who would say and do anything to sell his newspaper without spending a second considering the hurt his lies might do.

He has spent decades lying and inventing stories of the most abhorrent kind simply to sell newspapers. He had never once shown an ounce of remorse or contrition for the pain and suffering he caused to countless people with his vile fabrications.

He's not some kind of provocateur or whatever . he's the textbook definition of a scumbag. Nothing more nothing less.

That's who you are covering for here..

Have a think about that for a second, before you further prostitute yourself defending the indefensible.

Thats exactly what appeals to the GBNews base. Thankfully its a miniscule base.

Kelvin MacKenzie sold millions of papers of The Sun at its apogee; hardly a miniscule base.

For sure, and Kelvin MacKenzie's performance on Talking Pints was very good indeed. I haven't heard too much of MacKenzie in the past, apart from a Question Time appearance some years ago.

In it, the issues brought up on this thread were addressed - from the Belgrano to Hillsborough to the gorilla etc. When you actually hear what he has to say for himself, rather than the erroneous alternative put across on this thread, you piece together a very different mosaic of his character.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement