Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I haven't heard too much of MacKenzie in the past

Yet you consider him "esteemed".

Fuckin hell... 🙄

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Is that a recognition of what the GBNews audience is?

The Sun was a racist, homophobic, misogynist hate filled rag that appealed solely to the dregs of society.

Is that what you want to associate your beloved GB News with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So direct quotes of his are an "errorneous alternative".

You boys relly do think you can retcon things IRL .

I'm not intimately familiar with the man, but we are all familiar with his journalistic success at The Sun. From that perspective, his success in the 80s and early 90s is worthy of esteem. Yes, he's controversial - but I'm not going to spend my life getting perpetually offended because someone with whom we may disagree says the "wrong thing".

I'm not intimately familiar with the man

Well then shut up going on about him, because you're coming across as even more foolish than usual.

I heard the criticisms of the man and researched accordingly. I don't find him guilty as others have suggested. But thanks for your contribution.

You hadn't a clue who he was until he appeared on Talking Pints. But you considered him "esteemed".

People are laughing at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If we mention some odious "creature of the right" that hasn't yet been on Talking Pints, they get condemned; yet as soon as one goes on they're marvellous and lauded.

Can we just get a list of all the pond-dwellers up now so they can all be condemned in advance and we don't need to have another MacKenzie/Davidson/Widdicombe ridiculous sucking up / defence session? Because I'm fairly sure that two days ago we'd have had attempts to distance from MacKenzie not attempts to make him sound good at anything.

• Advertisement

The word "intimate" explains it all.

I haven't read his biography, Tony. But I do know about his broad achievement in journalism.

Regardless, he's not a racist as others here have portrayed. A total fabrication, as usual. Is he offensive at times? For sure. But that's not a crime, nor should it be.

Anyone who appears on GB News is called a racist, by definition.

Alex Best was on GB News about an hour ago. Maybe she'll get accused of racism sometime soon, too?

His "broad acheivements" in journalism consist of dragging the UK press deeper in to the gutter with yellow journalism, sensationalism, lying and attack stories; buying a successful radio station and reducing its audience and launching a comically bad TV channel.

Anyone could have sold millions of copies of The Sun at the time - anyone else would likely not have lost hundreds of thousands of football followers as readers - because it was Page 3 and the back pages (sports) selling the paper.

Stop. Just stop. You're coming across as a bloody fool. Trying to big up somebody you have no idea about.

And the only "fabrication" involved are the ones that MacKenzie engaged in when he routinely published lies in his rags.

Defend, deflect, confuse, evade.

None of that has anything to do with the post you're replying to.

I would recommend you do some basic reading on the core logical fallacies in argument and how to avoid them. Your posts would likely dry up or cease entirely if you made the effort to do so.

Everyone says, "anyone could have done this...", after the fact.

Whether it's a business idea or otherwise. Yet that's not always the case.

MacKenzie achieved it, whether you like him or not; or the way in which he achieved it.

• Advertisement

He has had more results between mediocrity and failure than success. Do you have an early 1990s cut-off for considering him "esteemed"? And why would anyone want to hear from someone who burnt out 30 years ago?

Strawman argument. Logical fallacy.

Please respond to the actual post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He is. He clearly is but you're so committed to this anti-woke claptrap that you'll readily fawn over all kinds of human refuse if you think they're cut from the same cloth.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So Kelvin Mackenzie who has attacked people of black heritage, Irish people, French people, Muslims and Jewish people (getting all the Semites their for the full card) and he basically tarred half of Asia in one article too.

Man's a racist. No ifs and buts. He's a contemptable c*nt too and the amount of lawsuits brought against him personally while he was helming the sun and the whole Hillsborough stuff should be enough to make anyone realise that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If you want to talk about Corbyn then start a thread on Corbyn, this thread is about GB "news" and we are discussing the racist guests that faragh has on his show on GB "news".

When Corbyn is on GB "news" then I'll be happy to discuss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You mean the "success" he built on the pain and suffering countless of others? You actually look up to a man who told lies about people while thier families were still grieving just to sell a shìtty newspaper?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Having a look in after the evening, and oh; we're defending Kelvin McKenzie now?

LOL.

What a joke. I wonder where the line would be drawn for a GB News appearance that it wouldn't get a desperate attempt to justify or forgive the sins of the guest?

Support Farage's politics if one believes them but I've never seen someone so achingly fawning over a politician that they try to deny Kelvin McKenzie's sins by proxy.

Worse still, denying the sins of someone that they've never even heard of before is even funnier. And all just because they appeared on a crappy TV show on a crappy TV station.

Hilarious and for all the wrong reasons.

I'm pretty sure if Goebbels was still around and a guest, Eskimo would be arguing he isn't a bigot... I'm having flashbacks to the time when Eskimo claimed to be a member of MENSA... :D

Well, Goebbels was very "successful" at what he did after all.

😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"No, you see, what Goebbels meant to say was...."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Eskimo, IIRC, also claimed to be gay way, way back in the thread; which given McKenzie's disgusting (if contemporaneous) attitude towards AIDs makes it hard to believe anything the user says - let alone come to any other conclusion than they're trolling & making shít up for the entertainment of watching the rest of us personify that Jackie Chan "what??" meme we all know. Christ their avatar is Farage now - the signs are kinda right there.

I don't know a single person who'd be on the LGBTQ rainbow, especially those old enough to have lived the 70s/80s, who'd have a scintilla of respect or sympathy for those who peddled the AIDs scaremongering. Being gay, living during that time, was a nightmare; where if prejudice didn't get you, a virulent disease instead might (for which you would receive even more social stigma). No self-respecting gay person would have time for McKenzie, bar the occasional Quisling.

"Goebbels wasn't racist; everyone spoke like that in those days. And sure where's the proof the Nazis persecuted black people anyway? There were no black people in Germany" Culminating in that classic, already used in this thread "sure the Nazis we left-wing anyway".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This was the premise of my earlier comment about Stephen Yaxley-Lennon. The defender of GB News will flip and start fawning over him the second he appears on GB News.

There is no line. Once the anti-woke brigade, about 0.01% of whom actually watch the channel for which there is a vast market get their confirmation bias satisfied, that'll be it. The pretence at hating racism while fawning over vile racists isn't really fooling anyone.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I'm suprised theres not been a Paedo rolled out to be a "highly esteemed" guest yet. Theres no barrel GBNews and Eski wont scrape and cheerlead.

• Advertisement

Give it time. The quality of guests has been in freefall insofar as there ever was any quality guests save Vince Cable. I recall when we were supposed to be impressed that someone who didn't agree with Farage was invited on when this is the most basic thing a new channel should be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mackenzie is a lying scumbag. no wonder you like him so much.

This is simply untrue.

When Laurence Fox, one of the self-proclaimed guardians of society, appeared on GB News, I condemned his appearance in the most coruscating language possible.

Laurence Fox and "anti-Woke" go hand in glove. That's the battlefield he has chosen. If I simply fawn over every anti-Woke individual, I wouldn't have been appalled at his presence on GB News.

You did which is why it's so perplexing to see you fawn over such abysmal human beings. The cynical explanation seems to be that scummy newspaper editors are one of the foundations of conservative power so that might be it. Fox is just an actor and Peterson is an academic and clinician spouting gibberish but people like Farage, Widdecombe and MacKenzie are either conservative politicians (and failed politicians) or are the pillars that support them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Or is it because Fox didn't appear with Farage?

The common denominator here seems to be Farage - Perhaps Eskimo feels the need to defend guests of Farage for fear of denigrating Farage rather than it being explicit support for these particular vile creatures?

I'd put it down more to Laurence Fox being a damp squib. Someone who has repeatedly tried to agitate the "left" but has failed because no one gives a f*ck about him.

Whereas the likes of Farage, Mackenzie, Widdecombe etc, they're borderline professional agitators. So they're the ones worth defending, in order to "trigger the woke mob" or whatever.

Utterly false.

Laurence Fox appeared on Talking Pints 2-weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,951 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You do know that "esteem" isn't a synonym for notoriety or infamy?

Leaving Mackenzie and his utterly reprehensible gutter journalism aside. I do hope for the sake of whatever reputation you may have?(unless it's already one of being a cúnt easily swept up in the excitement of someone telling them what to think?) That no link is ever exposed between this account and it's fawning, racist, homophobic, transphobic and frankly... Quite limited consequential and critical thinking you seem proud to display here? With whomever EH is in real life.

Although I do think I would both enjoy watching you being interviewed and defending same. Perhaps even on GBNews! Whilst they try and distance themselves from your own strange brand of right lest they share the labels you seem determined to earn yourself here.

I mean if the 20/30 people that regularly dip in and out of this thread all watched that interview? We'd easily double the regular viewing figures 🤔

Laurence Fox just isn't odious enough for him.

• Advertisement

GB News at least discusses what's really happening with the LGB-T community.

Many posters here have talked about homophobia, particularly in relation to guests on GB News and/or GB News presenters. But nobody is discussing the homophobia that exists against gay and lesbian people due to what's happening with the T part of the acronym.

BBC, at last, published a piece talking about one of these sinister features - namely, trans women (even if they haven't had surgery) forcing or manipulating lesbians to have sex with them, otherwise these lesbians may be called transphobic. Stonewall responded to the BBC editorial by arguing that if a lesbian were to choose not to sleep with a trans woman, just for being a trans woman (even if they have a penis), then this is discrimination which is the equivalent of fat shaming, prejudice against disabled people, or racism itself. Gay men and lesbians are being called bigoted for not sleeping with biological women and men, respectively. Is this not simply the erasure of LGB itself? It's almost a form of conversion therapy - far worse than anything Anne Widdecombe has said on the matter.

This is not right.

GB News is one of the few outlets to promote the pushback, especially online. It's not only GB News though, it's also TalkRadio and - to a lesser extent - LBC.

This morning on GB News, Patrick Christys and Mercy Muroki had a very interesting segment on the issue. Any person genuinely against homophobia must also be against this form of neo-homophobia that has surreptitiously crept into the sexual underbelly of society.

Ah, we're back on the transphobic hobby horse again but it's at least semi-relevant so I'll bite. No f*cking way in a country where a dirtbag like Richard Littlejon who literally hounded a trans woman to her death remains the best paid columnist in the industry is GB News the only, or one of the few places that "tells it like it is".

Bollox of the highest degree. You can't write a panegyric about bigots like Anne Widdecombe and then expect us to believe that you now care about lesbians.

Either you believe it's transphobic for a lesbian to refuse to sleep with a trans woman (even with a penis), or you do not.

That question exists independently of what you think about me.

You can dodge the question by referring back to my commentary on Anne Widdecombe, but that doesn't come close to actually answering the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"GB News at least discusses what's really happening with the LGB-T community."

So you admit to blatant confrimation bias.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I dodged nothing. The topic of the thread is the channel, not your obsessive hatred of trans people. Perhaps we can discuss GB News?

Posters here care about homophobia if it's about an old Catholic woman believing in traditional marriage, or some guy making an ill-judged comment from 40-years ago.

But they seem to care nothing for the homophobia of today - where gay men and lesbians are told they're bigoted for not sleeping with biological women and men, respectively.

If that's not considered a depraved form of conversion therapy, I don't know what is. Literally erasing what it means to be gay or lesbian.

• Advertisement

"GB News at least discusses what's really happening with the LGB-T community."

I've never seen a hyphen doing so much heavy-lifting in terms of implication. That there's the LGB community, then the Ts. The "othering" and prejudice against Trans people is disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Your transphobia is as disgusting as it is obvious. All LGBT people are pawns for this end in your opinion. Being Catholic and being a vile human being are not mutually exclusive. Far from it.

Just because some trans people try to claim transphobia if gay/lesbian people reject them, that doesn't make it so, nor does it mean lesbians are being forced to sleep with trans women against their will.

No straight woman is attracted to all men. No straight man is attracted to all women. No gay woman is attracted to all women. No gay man is attracted to all men.

One can support trans rights and consider trans women to be women, without choosing them as a sexual partner.

This is the BBC and GB News et al making a story demonising trans people based on a small selected survey and some anecdotal experiences. Nor are the LGBTQ community some homogenous group that all believe the exact same thing. Some trans people may claim transphobia upon being rejected, but that's likely as they generally face more rejection for being trans than people of other minority groups, and may be borne out of frustration. I don't know. But they're not representative of the thoughts and actions of the community as a whole and there's no evidence to suggest it's an endemic situation forcing women into unwanted sexual encounters.

You're entitled to that viewpoint.

I've simply raised a very important issue regarding homophobia (which you neatly introduced into the segment on Kelvin MacKenzie). I'm simply making the point that anyone who argues that gay men and lesbians are bigoted for not sleeping with trans women and trans men (pre-surgery) is arguing in favour of a form of conversion therapy. It would be just as wrong as forcing or guilt-tripping or gaslighting straight men to sleep with gay men.

All I'm saying is that at least GB News, TalkRadio and LBC are discussing these grave matters.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement