Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

What a pathetic clown of a man. He is basically claiming to have new evidence in an ongoing murder case. He should be brought in and questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭tinytobe

He should be treaded as a suspect, same as Bailey. Nick Foster wanted to sleep with Sophie that night, and though he could seduce her with a bottle of French wine. However, Sophie wasn't fooled by Foster, and the evening turned into an argument and into a killing. He should not only be brought in and questioned, he should be put on trial in France and convicted, with the same evidence as Bailey, even more, he knew how it happened.

Nuts isn't he?? Let's say he does have new "evidence", is it not illegal to share that on twitter while it's a sensitive police matter?

I don't think he has anything btw, would just love to see him held accountable for his deplorable behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

So a late night caller decides to grab a wine bottle when the door is opened then runs off, Sophie puts her boots etc on and chases the wine snatcher as far as the gate? 🤔

• Advertisement

I've literally heard it all. Seriously. 😂😂😂😂

Do people actually believe this poppycock 😅😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'm glad I didn't buy his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Careful there - are you admitting to being there on the 23rd December 1996 and hearing it all.

Should you be added to the list of suspects? 😁😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

So the good Nick Foster is to post another revelation on 5th November...

Why then and not now?

He appears to know the ins and outs of that tragic night. Wow!

On the other hand, he could be trolling the living be Jaysis out of anybody daft enough to hang on to his every word....??

The levels people will stoop to in order to make a buck...

Prostitution is an honest profession compared to Foster's method of making money.

He's a piece of work alright. I very much doubt anything significant will occur on 5th Nov, except more twattery from foster.

My guess is he's written a fictionalised account of her last night and is trying to advertise it and sell it.

The term Scumbag is much overused these days, however in this case it is well deserved.

I hope Jim Sheridan does some media interviews and rips the little rodent apart.

Me too. Jim is such a lovely, genuine guy. Id say he's preoccupied since his wife's death last week 😥 so likely isn't aware of Fosters latest round of shite.

But I hope he does a number on him eventually.

Oh, that's very sad. I did not know that. I think people sometimes forget that this thread is in the TV forum and is titled after Jim Sheridan's Sky doc.

In the unlikely event he ever reads this, condolences to him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Well, it's hardly surprising that there have been no similar killings in the area since this notorious one in 1996. The killing of Sophie has all the hallmarks of being an unplanned, spur of the moment, crime of passion type of killing and not the work of somebody practiced in the art of killing - killing human beings, at least. So, the killer of Sophie is not somebody who feels a constant impulse to kill like a serial killer does. It's unlikely that, since that particular night, he has found himself in a situation even remotely similar to the circumstances he found himself on the night of Sophie's death. He is probably what would be regarded as a weirdo, a social outcast and pariah who has little meaningful interaction with others in what is the quite remote and sparsely populated region of West Cork where he still resides today.

There's been no further killings because the perp is dead.

I'd say, Nick Foster's motivation is only making financial gains out of this murder and draw attention to himself. He claims to know something, he may claim to have evidence but in reality he has nothing at all.

We do not know if the killing was unplanned or a pure crime of passion. It is just speculation, as all the other theories and as often stated, I tend to think it was planned, rather than unplanned, but again that's down to speculation. None of us knows, unless any of us actually did it.....

I still tend to go by motive first and foremost, as all the relevant evidence is missing:

1) Motive "financial": Her husband Daniel wants to have her our of the way, hires a hitman and manages by unknown means to keep the contract secret, avoiding a costly divorce and claiming the life insurance on her. It would be a very classic case in criminology between married couples cashing in on insurance and avoiding a divorce.

2) Motive "drugs": Sophie seen something, heard something, complained to the police, nothing was done, complained again, drew attention to herself and somebody in the drug trafficking did kill her, or was coerced to do so, - as it happens in these circles. ( Alfie, the Guard from Bantry, or somebody else in on it, or coercible for whatever reason, we do not know who )

3) Motive "sexual": Either the German musician, or that French fisherman, the often mentioned Guard from Bantry killed her on the spur of the moment as she declined their advances under the motto "If I can't have you, nobody else can". Also her former lover from France, Bruno would fall into this, he could also have hired a hitman as well. With the exception of Bruno, the motive "sexual" would have been the most likely an unplanned murder, rather than a planned one.

The interesting thing is, that none of the motives I could think of, could possibly include Bailey. Yes, he could theoretically have done it, but getting to her house possibly without a car hiking there on foot, after a night out in the pub, to see Sophie for what reason? Bailey probably had a bit of personal experience with cannabis, but wasn't trafficking, he was also in a relationship with Jules, and had no financial interest to gain in Sophie, at least none that I can see. ( Other than writing articles, but again, he could have written other articles as well...)

What I would exclude: The often mentioned bottle of French wine. We don't know if she expected a guest, or whether somebody brought it to her house. The usage of the bath tub in her absence. We don't know who used it, and why, only that the locks were changed and it stopped. I don't think it's motive for murder not even in passion. A neighbourhood dispute. We would have learned about that one by now. Questions raised to a solicitor, a planning permission not granted, other letters exchanged, or things being approved after Sophie's death, as she was no longer in the way? Nothing of that sort happened. Also the statement "The house is difficult to find" should be excluded. Anybody who wanted to get there for whatever reason would have found the place with ease, unless one has no sense of direction or can't read maps or follow whatever instructions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What are the chances that an unopened, expensive, not locally available, bottle of French wine is found discarded nearby but is unrelated to the killing? Very small I'd say.

Fair question, but again, the bottle of French wine is no motive to kill somebody, nor is it the murder weapon, at least as far as I know. Also, we have no fingerprints on the bottle, we have nothing on the bottle at all and thus we can only speculate. Theoretically an argument over the bottle of French wine could have lead to murder among two drunks but in this case, I'd say it's more unlikely, but not impossible. We also don't know who brought the bottle, Sophie? or her son visiting later on? or the killer? Or how long the bottle was there, it could have been brought from France way earlier than on that trip.... And how sure can we be that the bottle was with utter certainty not available in Ireland, or in some special store in Cork?

It doesn't mean that we can't talk about it, but what I am saying is that the bottle of wine doesn't lead us to the killer or to the motive in the current situation. Things would however be pointing into a new direction, if say, a whiteness from some wine store, in let's say Cork, came forward who stated that he sold that bottle recently to one of the suspects? This would only give reason for further speculation, unless we can firmly establish who bought the bottle and when..... 25 years onwards, it would be highly unlikely that one would remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

An outside murder.....?

Why outside?

Sophie laced her boots up before going outside, so she wasn't under any immediate duress before leaving the house - No flight or fight situation going on at that time.

In the moments that she left the house, whatever occurred, caused her to panic... What argument ensued that made her realise her life was in grave danger? She avoided the driveway and opted to run down through the grass and briers to make her escape. Does this point towards the aggressor being on the doorstep / driveway?

The very fact that there was no sign of a struggle within the property suggests that the assault began and ended outside.

I doubt it was Bailey, I would lay money on a fit nimble Sophie out running a drunken (tired if walked over) Bailey without much effort, especially if her life depended on it.

Whoever she was trying to escape from, she knew at that point that her life depended on it. Why was she making towards the gate exiting the property, why not seek to alert her closest neighbours?

The only people that we know lay claim to being in the area at that time are:

Alfie Lyons, Shirley Foster, Maria Farrell and one unidentified make passenger (allegedly).

Alfie Lyons and Shirley Foster claim they didn't hear anything that night - Strikes me as odd? Why did Sophie run in the opposite direction away from from Alfie & Shirley's house? There was nobody else nearer than them.

Maria Farrell, she didn't have to be a part of this, and didn't ring the Gards until much later using the false name of Fiona to pass on information. Why did she wait so long before offering up this (at the time) critical eye witness account? Was she concerned that she had been spotted in the vicinity close to the time of the murder? Was she covering her back in case her car had been seen? Why was she even in the area at that time?

As for the unidentified male passenger... The one person who could verify Maria Farrell account of the man on the bridge, the man that could possibly become a star witness.... Is left unchecked, unlocated, unknown.

Now.. Unless you've been on a three day bender and whacked out of our brains, there ain't no way on God's earth that the investigators are not going to relentlessly persue the invisible man... He would be a key witness in a major crime scene.

Why was she murdered outside..?

The blood on the door (Sophie's), was blamed on the killer returning to the property to either close the door or try to gain entrance to the house, why would he want to do either of those two options?

Close the door - To avert suspicion? The middle of winter, who would leave their door wide open?

To try to get back in again - Why? To clean up any incriminating evidence that he was ever there? Hardly, considering there was a beaten corpse by the gate, I'm sure the killer would have streched to breaking and entering to clear his tracks if needs be..

The crime scene suggests an early morning murder - Sophie had cereal in her stomach, exposed bread on the side, her bed had been used and was still unmade, lights were turned off, her blood around her nose and mouth still hadn't congealed... All pointers to a morning murder.

We know of four people that claim to have been in the area.

Why was she murdered outside - What does that tell us?

Was there a Christmas part going on at Alfie's? Was a revered guest only leaving at the early hours of the next morning? Did the guest fancy his chances with Sophie that morning.... Who could leave a crime scene in a near sterilised condition...??? Why was Alfie, who was the nearest to the crime scene not grilled with the same intencity that Bailey was?

Why did the Gards go all out to pin the murder on an investigative journalist forsaking any other lead... Did they know who the murderer was already?

Why was she murdered outside - Where had the murderer been up until that point? Maybe not so far away I suggest....

I've heard it suggested that if it was the garda, it's known he had a service pistol.

So this could answer the first part of your excellent post.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That wine wasn't available in Ireland, it has been stated many times. French wine shop or duty free. It would have been traceable back to the importation through customs if it was available in Ireland

Certainly, it would have been traceable in some way. However the bottle of French wine proves absolutely nothing, other than it was purchased outside of Ireland and quite possibly in France but maybe in another special wine shop in Belgium, Germany, etc... . We also don't know the year of the bottle and when it was bought or how long it's been out there, it could easily have been way before the murder, or months after... Anybody could have bought it, and left it there, for whatever reason. Alfie, Shirley, the Guard from Bantry, or one the absent neighbour could have brought it as well, anybody visiting Sophie, or Sophie herself or her son coming to the cottage later on. We don't know, we have no fingerprints or other DNA on the bottle, nor can it be reliably tied to the killer.

One peculiarity I always noted in France is that French supermarkets, no matter how big, always tend to focus strongly on the regional wine. Again, that doesn't prove anything, but it could be a further indication on where it was bought, if we knew from which region the wine was actually from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Great post,

If I may act the Devil's Advocate on a few of your points;

She avoided the driveway and opted to run down through the grass and briers to make her escape. Does this point towards the aggressor being on the doorstep / driveway?"

It's quite possible she left the house via the front door and went down through the front lawn.

There was no brushes and briars on the lawn -Shirley chose this route back up to her house on finding the body.

It's possible Sophie heard this gate into her lawn from the lane;

being opened as it's unlikely Shirley would open it to go back to her house.

This gate was a newly erected gate as can be seen by the fresh mortar at the bottom pin and may have been the cause of the confrontation.

"Whoever she was trying to escape from, she knew at that point that her life depended on it. Why was she making towards the gate exiting the property, why not seek to alert her closest neighbours?"

Maybe she was unaware of the danger at first, and was the one who initiated the confrontation down by the gate.

Also worth bearing in mind that the forensics team did not start work around outside for about 24 hours after the body was found,

and a further 6 or 7 hours before the pathologist arrived.

There would have been some coming and going by inexperienced Gardaí and Alfie and Shirley over the site by this stage.

"Maria Farrell, she didn't have to be a part of this............"

I believe once the Guards realised Marie could be coerced they concocted her story with her, she was probably at home in bed.

"Why was she murdered outside..?

The blood on the door (Sophie's), was blamed on the killer returning to the property to either close the door or try to gain entrance to the house, why would he want to do either of those two options?

The only thing I can think of here is the killer may have thought Sophie was not alone and went to check he house ,

and perhaps was disturbed by lights coming on in Alfie's house, Shirley was up and about at 8:20.

"Who could leave a crime scene in a near sterilised condition...??? "

The site may not have been sterile by today's standards and the delays by forensics and the pathologist

and clumsy and incompetent Guards didn't help.

Any DNA found at the scene may have been accounted for by the very fact it would have been expected to be there

(someone coming and going to and from the area regularly)

"Why was Alfie, who was the nearest to the crime scene not grilled with the same intencity that Bailey was?"

Alfie would be a poor choice for a patsy, Bailey insinuated himself into the case and and they got stuck into him.

" Where had the murderer been up until that point? Maybe not so far away I suggest...."

Spot on, but maybe not in the immediate vicinity.

About the only thing the Smarmy Guard got right was his assertion the answer lies in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Why do you think Bailey would not have had a sexual motive in attempting to form a relationship with Sophie? I think the possibility of him having it off with this young, attractive, intelligent and unaccompanied French lady would have been the most powerful motivating factor for him,if it was him who went up there that night. He is the ultimate narcissist after all so that would be his mindset. By the way, discounting this possibility on the basis that Bailey could not have travelled from his own home to Sophie's and back on foot is ludicrous. It is not a long distance between the two. Four kilometres, I would estimate. Big, long striding Ian - even in a pissed condition - could manage that round trip in an hour and a half, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,335 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Of these three motives, the sexual one is by the far the best fit with the modus operandi of the killer. I don't see any of the individuals you mention as fitting the bill. If it was a sexually motivated killing I believe the culprit was most likely a current or former lover from France, someone unknown to everyone around Sophie, or unknown as her lover anyway. Of course the difficulty this poses for anyone investigating the killing is obvious...

Because, I think that Bailey was in a relationship with Jules. As far as he know, he didn't cheat, so from a sexual point of view he was content with her. Also he was gaining more by being with Jules, living in her house, getting driven around in her car, etc...

Yes, theoretically, Bailey could have hiked over to Sophie's, but it would have taken at least one hour, and him having had a few drinks in the pub. 4 kilometers would have been one hour to and one hour return. Getting to Sophie killing her possibly cleaning up the crime scene and returning, no more than 3 hours, plus cleaning himself up another hour and with some coordination or planning maybe beyond the notice of Jules? It's not impossible, but whether it's likely, we all don't know.

These three motives are just a basic speculation, as none of us know. However what is known in criminology is the main motives are always financial, drug-related, or sexual and murderer and victim are known to each other in some way.

If one goes by modus operandi, then yes, agreed, but then there is also the consideration that the murderer wanted it specifically to look like a crime of passion. It's not beyond possibility.

But if we stick to the sexual motive, this makes the murder the more mysterious. First of all, we don't know how many lovers Sophie really has had outside of marriage, what was going on longer, what was just casual sex, if it happend at all, and then we can't say who would have felt offended the most, if rejected by Sophie. Sophie seemed to have had "quite a reputation when it came to the bedroom" but nobody can say, if she actually slept with that German musician, with that Fisherman from France or even with that Guard from Bantry and if she wanted to end this or not. Also regarding sex, there is always a lot of talk, but nothing is really known..... This is all a very very grey area. If it's just down to getting sexually rejected by Sophie, then the Guard from Bantry would sure be number one suspect.

The only affair outside of marriage which we can be certain off, is with Bruno Carbonnet in France, but he would have had to have done quite some planning if he travelled to Cork by himself (flight with a stopover, or even the ferry, a fake passport), killed Sophie himself and then returned, while faking some receipt for a telephone technician, - or he hired a killer or had one hired. He also knew where the house was, the layout of the rooms, etc.. he's been there often enough to give discription on how to find the place. I also find this scenario a bit unlikely but not totally impossible, Bruno wouldn't have wanted to deal with the effort, also he had no financial gain from Sophie's murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

I agree that it's a great post from @flanna01 but your dismissal of Alfie not being questioned is quite common but very misguided in my opinion. Alfie might (or might not) have been unwell at the time of this murder but we know from many accounts that he was no fool. Many people might have been convinced of the Guard's idea that they knew that Bailey was the cunning perpetrator but I don't buy the idea that Alfie believed it. He could easily have said I am not sure if I ever introduced Bailey to Sophie but he didn't, in fact he was prepared to allow a Judge declare that on balance of probabilities he did when he gave evidence. So Alfie was prepared to see Bailey go down for this when he must have known that the story was bullshit. I see only two reasons. He did it or he knew who did and had to keep quiet for some reason. Another poster has spoken about how Shirley Foster was a broken woman after this. Having only glanced at the body and continued to live there, that unfortunate outcome seems strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

Does anybody know if Nick Foster is related to Shirley Foster?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement