Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Pretty deflating! Packs been ate up and spat out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Connacht well coached and playing to a game plan.

• Administrators Posts: 53,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pathetic is all you can say.

And that last try summed us up. Thick as champ. Game was over, kick it out.

Instead of trying to run the whole bloody field and then conceding another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

That pretty much sums it up for me, but im very critical of Burns, an aspiring international 10 should be standing out in a Game like that but he did the opposite.

Ulster are unlucky they dont have a game next weekend, because they need to bounce back from that performance quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Big few months coming up for Dan.

That was a game for Carter and Kearny! To add some ballast!

Is it time to give Treadwell some Blindside game time?

He looks delighted. 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Cartys a good player consistently, he's not a top end goal kicker but otherwise he's really sound defensively and very creative. I hear that he also lost to Japan singlehandedly but when I watch that game back he also played fairly well in that. Think he's well worth a shot again in the same way carbury deserves the time to find his way again. No idea what Harry Byrne has done to be considered, all flash no basics for me.

Liked what I saw from doak tonight, all the basics, I'd have him in my team ahead of Casey all day long. Henderson looked good, Ulster back row well outplayed. Not sure I see potential in o Sullivan ?? Am I missing something? Bealham playing so well this season a seriously underrated player in Ireland because porter and furlong are so good.

Ton Daly is a good player. Hume had a poor night. Porch and Hansen are tidy. Balcoune is a player needs some ball.

Nice to get a win

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster Says "Yes. Surrender."😁

Wouldn't it have been nice to have a plan 'A'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Would love to see Doak in the Irish squad for the 6N if he can get some big games on the other side of the international break. He does look like a very special player and players like this should be fast tracked (Him, Osborne, Ahern etc).

Sorry folks, couldn't help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Worst display from Ulster in a long time! Ross Kane is hopeless! Ulster are fcuked after Moore and TOT.

Hume was poor too and Burns was....well! Nothing positive from an Ulster perspective. They could have used Kearney to add some grit. Treadwell doesn't have the physicality.

Thought Treadwell had come back with some hunger!

Reality check in that we just/still don’t have pack/power required for strong teams! Worrying things we’re yet to play the top end packs in the league and Euro could well be a step up again.

Backrow went awol, highlighted again by there all 6.5s, no go forward and no turnovers!

I was very surprised when Ross Kane got a contract, he'll never be good enough unfortunately.

Vermuelen is desperately needed but I worry that teams will just be able to double up on him and not have to worry about any other carrying threats in our pack. Henderson is the only other reliable carrier but he's not exactly a bulldozer and it's difficult to do that job when playing in the engine room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

McCann, Timoney, Vermeulen will be decent all the same

In fairness mindset more than anything is the biggest concern in the Ulster pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It was a dreadful wake up call to those responsible for the recruitment or retention of some pretty average players. There doesn't appear to be any channelled aggression available, just running through set drills over and over. Burns was very poor but at least he tried to make things happen......and got butt hoked for his trouble, There was no cohesion at all.

It proves that it doesn't how much training happens, or how much game time they get, average players will always be average players. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Connacht had fire in their bellies...Ulster did not. Once Plan A of give the ball to McCloskey and run over the top of them didn't work there was no Plan B.

When a few things went against them they lost the plot.

You worry about their mental resilience against ANY Irish province at this stage...not just Leinster. We really can't complain when this Ulster player or that Ulster player doesn't get picked by Ireland when we consistently lose Inter Pro after Inter Pro. I think all the other provinces see Ulster as a soft touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Was at ends on Saturday so hopped along to the game. It was good to watch as a neutral. Connacht were just happy to let Ulster come at them knowing they were a bit blunt and ponderous.

Conor Oliver was super in that game.

I don't think Ulster should be too concerned yet but they definitely need to shore up the inability to win collisions in the tight. Connacht hammered up off 9 and smothered them and gave Doak and Burns feck all to work with.

Doak will get a lot out of the game. It was good to see him in the flesh. I'm a huge fan and love the way he plays. His passing is so consistent off both hands and off the ground which is heartening to see.

But the caveat to his game which a people aren't talking about yet is the speed of his pass. It needs work. Passing speed is what's kept Marmion, Cooney and McGrath from achieving higher honours internationally.

But Doak visually has that physical development still to do (understandable at 19) and I've no doubt he's a superstar in the making

• Advertisement

Ulster didn't look prepared! It was bizarre! Connacht were putting in crushing tackles and backing each other, Ulster looked like they were already on break. It could just be a bad day, but they were not at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Still missing some ballast up front although Henderson had good game. Vermuelen will greatly help. Ulster were second best at breakdown which is concerning.

Burns was poor and I would have started Lowry at out half. It is his best position.

Connacht were outstanding especially their back row. They need to keep Carty who easily outshone his opposite number.

Carty was far from perfect, but he was definitely better than Burns who just had a day to forget, and actually a day that sadly could be very detrimental to his career in international terms.

Ah I'd say Burns' goose is cooked internationally.

At the very least, there should be a response v Leinster. It's mind boggling how Ulster have performances like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Wait, are we playing leinster next lol? I switched off the connacht game thinking "disappointing but we'll bounce back." Didn't realise we were bouncing into the path of a well aimed cricket bat.

0-0 after 10 minutes and within 3 tries by the final whistle is all I'm asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Bradley Roberts been called into Welsh squad for autumn games due to Ken Owens pulling out due to injury.

Good for him.

Not so for us though. It's probably fair to say he won't be an Ulster player this time next year.

• Advertisement

I'm sure he'll get an offer from a region but there's no way he'd be allowed to stay anyway.

Advertisement