Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia EV6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Onlyzeone

I hope you are right, that the pricing of tesla will come down when tesla Germany is up and running but I, personally don't think they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well I guess the price of a car is what a manufacturer can get away with. Tesla could profitably sell a Model Y SR+ for a touch over €50k today in Ireland if there was no import duty to pay. But of course if they could get (almost) as many sales if they priced it at €55k, or €60k, why wouldn't they?

In our capitalist world, the main aim for every single company should be to maximise profits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭fits

I hope some of these companies will start releasing more smaller and family cars rather than all these big yokes. They are completely unnecessary for the majority of people.

we’d love an ev estate with good range and able to take bike and roof racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭fits

We have an ID.3 and it suits the majority of our needs for now. It’s a super car. But will be looking at likes of the MG when it’s time to change alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The gaping hole in your logic is that the Model Y can be produced in Germany for the same price as in China ex tariff. Obviously there is a business case for producing them in Germany but this may be contingent on maintaining existing (or even raising) the price.

Haha fair enough, wages alone in Germany would be a tad higher than in China alright 😂 Joking aside, I don't know what the split in cost is for the various factors. I'd say salary cost is not as big in EVs as it used to be in ICE cars.

And like I said, Tesla has been increasing prices of all their cars significantly in recent times. Because their cost base has gone up? No. Just because they can as they are still very far ahead of the competition in terms of offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’ll have dearer production costs in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You start big and trickle down. As technology gets cheaper like batteries then they can focus on smaller less profitable cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

From the dealership today:

"We will not be bringing in the front (side) radar system on the current models

Therefore, while HDA (Highway Driving Assist) is fitted, it will not have these additional functions.

Distance control, Lane Following Control or Lane Change

"

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

Don’t shoot me - haven’t been following the thread . I have two questions!

1: would anyone even dare buy one without a home charger ? Just in app complex and no prospect of one for a while . Wouldnt be doing a whole lot of driving as have access to other car .

2: does anyone know when you could expect delivery of you ordered one now ? What’s the lead time in these ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Think there's some available immediately. It's not absolutely essential to homecharge if you don't use too much. You just need to be near (as in short walking distance) from a good 22kw 50kw charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭MarkN

Having a home charger, I wouldn’t buy ANY EV without one. Drove to Belfast from Dublin in an MG5 at the weekend and it was a disaster (the charging of it). Castlebellingham, some Castlebellend had a Zoe plugged in for nearly an hour and a half on 50kW while the rest of us sat there waiting. Having a home charger didn’t help then but I knew I just needed 100kms or so to get home and charge. It will make ownership a lot less stressful, not saying it cannot be done though.

Drove the EV6 yesterday, a fine car. Ioniq is cheaper though as KIA only bringing the Earth and GT-Line in. They seem confident they will get over 200 of them into Ireland between now and 2022. Would I have one over the Ioniq? I think I would.

I’ve a video up on my channel if any of you are interested or if I can help answer a question, shout!

What's your channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭TOLLOT

Hi MarkN

nice overview on your channel . What’s your opinion on the the GT spec 20 inch wheels on Irish backroads ?

Would ppl be Better of dropping to the earth spec for the potential smoother ride of the 19 inch wheels ?

Or the 20s are fine for backroads ?

you seemed the think the bigger alloys did ok today on backroads during a short spin ?

please comment on motorway consumption at 120 as well in the full review if you can

look forward to the in depth report next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Hi Mark

do you know if Kia Ireland are going to bring in the dual motor awd version here? It’s in the uk already.

Realistically if you don't need the range of the Larger Battery in the Kia, is it still worth a switch from the €42k Ioniq 5?

Is it fair to compare the Premium Ioniq 5 58kw that you tested with the much punchier and 8k more expensive 77kw GT variant of the EV6 in terms of Drive and power etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭MarkN

hi lads - found the 20s ok to be honest and the roads I was on were not great. Model Y was much firmer.

Is it fair to compare the Ioniq 58? Well, 8k is a lot of money and if you're doing monthly repayments, it's quite a bit more PM so I'm not sure it is fair. Would I rather the EV6 if the price gap wasn't as big? Absolutely.

I don't believe KIA Ireland will be bringing in the dual motor. They have presumably hedged their bits that people are not going to pay that sort of money for a KIA here. The Stinger sales numbers here were probably a lesson.

It might be an Earth I have next week so if it is, it will be handy to compare but I will take it onto the motorway although I'd imagine like any EV, a constant 120 will result in low to mid 20kWh/100 - the difference here is that if you've a decent SOC, there's a cushion.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

thanks and video is interesting . I’d be interested in how the EV6 compares with I5 in terms of ride - I really think there was too much air in the tyres in the one I drove it was beyond stiff !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

State of Charge

This is the EV forum, we do use some EV related terminology here sometimes, maybe someone should do up a glossary 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Are all the earth model interiors seat colours the same?

They are listed as "Charcoal Grey Vegan Leather Seat Upholstery" but the one in my local dealer was a light grey & almost white seat.

It put me off somewhat as not sure how well it would wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭TOLLOT

I’ve the exact same question lined up for the local dealer .

Looking at the earth models on Twitter from the uk last week the seats are a dark grey .

looking at the photos from Twitter of the irish earth models they are cream , which would out me off .

will try post photos Twitter if I’m allowed .

In the UK though they have something called the GT Air trim as opposed to Earth. So maybe that's the difference. It was the same in my local dealership, but the car was white (as opposed to pearl) as maybe there's something special about it.

Not too sure what I'm driving next week. I'd assume the driving experience is basically the same.

There is a German youtuber currently driving 1000km in a RWD 77kw EV6. It isn't finished yet but it looks like he'll do 1000km in about 9 hours 20 minutes.

With many of the longer range EVs for sale these days, the range of the car or even speed of charging is no longer the limiting factor here. The humans in the car are. They need to have breaks, go to the toilet, eat.

Of course the above only holds if there is a decent public charging network...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I spotted an EV6 in the wild in Galway over the weekend. It came out of Kenny's dealership and launched itself past me on the road. Very impressive looking machine and now that I have seen it in the flesh, I definitely prefer the look over the Ioniq 5. Shame it is so much more expensive though.

So I went and drove the Skoda enqay as a comparison to the EV6. It convinced me to go for the EV6. By the time I'd added in all the options to get the equivalent car to the GT line I was at 63K and had to start pealing back options to get to the grant ceiling. Now, you might as do you really need all those options and sure aren't they gimmicks but most of the driver assist stuff I decided I would actually use and things like the heat pump I felt are smart to get. The clincher was that it has a max charge capacity of 125kw versus the 350kw max of the EV6.

The drive itself was eerily quiet. The quietest car I've ever driven. You feel a little like you're driving a tank but it was very zippy when it needed to be. Very nice to drive, as was the Ioniq 5. It also looks very well, the pictures don't do it justice and the boot was massive. I've a test drive of the EV6 on Tuesday but I'm most likely to go with it.

Funny you mention that! My brother in law saw the EV6 in an ad last night and he instantly liked the "futuristic" look of it. I explained it's the same car underneath as the Ioniq 5, which he has on order. He said he might cancel that order so and get the Kia. Until I told him that it's €13k more 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I test drove a red Earth model last week , I didn't like the red on the website but in person it was really nice .

It had the cream seats and they suited it really well , reminds me of the look of the Mazda cream seats with the MX-6 and CX-5 .

I really liked it and I have it ahead of the Ioniq5 in my personal preference right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

For sure. 13k is a very large chunk of change to handover for basically the same underpinnings. I know there are slight differences in trim but I don't think the value is there, despite the EV6 being the better looking of the 2. This is coming from someone who doesn't have even the 38k to spend on the Ioniq 5 so I think I will stick to my "old" Ioniq for another while yet. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

From what I can see for the €12k RRP uplift from 58kWh Ioniq 5 Executive to 77kWh EV6 Earth you get:

+19kWh extra useable battery (Bigger battery is always better - How is the 58kWh charging curve?)

+144km WLTP range (I would estimate 305km vs 420km 'real world')

+Heat pump (Great during winter - I really miss it after moving from Ioniq 28 to 'pre-facelift' TM3 SR+)

+Leather seats (+ both front seats with electric adjustment and driver memory)

+Electric tailgate

+V2L

A better comparison is €49k 72kWh Ioniq 5 Premium vs €50k 77kWh EV6 Earth. For €1k extra you still add:

+5kWh extra useable battery (+20km 'real world' range)

+ Front passenger electric seat adjustment

+Electric tailgate

+V2L

The 72kWh Ioniq 5 Exec Plus at €45k is probably the sweet spot but I still prefer the EV6.

Most people don't need any of that and would (or should) not fork out for it. Heatpump is only useful if you have a tiny battery AND can't pre-heat really. 300km motorway range at 120km/h is plenty as long as you don't regularly need to public fast charge where it is problematic. I would fork out for V2L myself as an optional extra, but again, most people don't need it (a €40 200W inverter from Halfords can charge a laptop too)

That's exactly it, I think some of the above is miss representing the differences between the two cars. The Hyundai dealer was saying the same, "its just a different skin for 15k more".

Depending on how you fiance the car as well, with Hyundai charging 2% more for HP the cost of a mid level Ioniq is working out the same or more than the GT earth.

Sure look, it's all Marketing, having a cheap entry level builds an impression the Ioniq is better value.

I dont disagree with this.

I think in reality what people are really asking for here is a 58KW (or thereabouts) EV6. I think if KIA had brought that in, they'd have stole a lot of sales from VW ID.4 and the Ioniq 5. But they haven't, so they wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭DaveByDavid

In reality I think the 73kw Ioniq 5 would cost a bit more than that.

The 58kw exec-plus is being quoted as 43,000 from dealer I'm talking with, so 73kw would probably be around 47,000.

They probably just decided they would be competing against themselves of they brought in the short range, I understand it's the same in the UK. KIA doesn't necessarily want to cannibalise Hyundai market share. They way they have it set up, they're really covering the market broadly and deeply between the two offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

can you get a tow bar fitted on the EV6 ?

you couldnt on the Kia E niro but can on the Skoda Enyaq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Yes - There's a 'trailer package' included on both Earth and GT-Line. I guess it's just the preparation for installing a tow bar later.

The brochure also shows an optional removable tow bar. I haven't enquired about the cost from the dealer.

All models seem to be rated for 1,600KG.

Test drove one today, unfortunately the salesperson came with me and because it's so popular we pretty much went around the block while sitting in traffic!

In terms of being quite tall (6ft 1"), it wasn't as nice to get into as the Ioniq 5 because it's lower to the floor. But once you're in it's very comfortable.

After that it's just about preference of whether you prefer being lower to the ground.

Little annoying that I couldn't test drive it around the local country roads, that would have been a proper test of the handling.

Nobby did a lot of driving on twisty country roads near where I live. I know these roads well, they aren't great. And he said the car handled very well (better than Ioniq 5). Have a look at his review.

Thanks, will check it out.

That seems to be the main difference between the 2 - EV6 handles better and is more sporty, but the Ioniq 5 is more comfortable.

Test driving is not helping me really, I always forget what one was like after a while. Think I have a bit of FOMO as well, once I actually buy one I'll stop looking at cars and not even worry about what else is out there :)

I think the EV6 has less chance of it's look dating as well, it's a bit safer but nice and sporty. Ioniq 5 is completely different, but maybe more marmite.

He came with you? Wtf, I wouldn't be having that now. Anyway, when I drove the Ioniq the car was being test driven back to back for a couple weeks and the lazy sods at the dealership wheren't keeping it in tip top shape so I got to see how the interior looks after a bit of use and tbh, it kinda looked cheap with the shine taken off them.

Yeah, I'd much rather have gone on my own. Going to try and go back in Weds and see if we can drive again.

I've just shown the Nobby video to my partner and she's kind of sold.

Think it's the sleeker and sportier look.

Ioniq 5 I do like the design of, just wonder how it will age.

One thing I think let's down the EV6 are the colour options - they're just a bit boring.

I really like the teal Tuscon and the infinite blue Mach-e. Best EV6 is probably the standard one you see in most marketing.

• Advertisement

And what if you show your missus the video of the Q4 ETron Sportback which is also same ball park (although nowhere near the spec of the EV6)?

Think spec let's it down.

Test drove that Audi today (advance) and it was fine in terms of handling but no real wow or comfort factor for me.

Missing a bunch of spec without options as well.

Does this mean the models we'd be getting will have cruise control but won't be adaptive? I thought distance control was part of that.

I've gone back to the dealership and asked exactly this. Seems wording is a bit muddled. KIA videos aren't super helpful. The specification specifically calls out Adaptive Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go Functionality, which was a KIA feature before HDA2.

Deposit down for the GT Line

• Advertisement
Advertisement