Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Shefflin will know where Kilkenny are weakest!!! Doesn't every County Manager know. Don't we all know!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

He writes as if he is "in the know" on everything but I'd say half of it is pure speculation and hearsay. I quite enjoy his writing generally though to be fair to him.

A lot of people are not happy with Shefflins decision but are probably a bit reticent to openly express those thoughts. In fairness it is just not our way to be like that - bar myself it seems!!

I still cannot believe he is willing to manage a county team, a direct competitor, against guys that were team mates - especially after he expressed sentiments about not wanting to manage V's Ballyhale. Let's not forget he will be managing teams featuring at least one if not more of his nephews.

I also still cannot believe that people on here think that it is just a training exercise for him when it's not a stretch to say they will have a better pool of players to pick from. He himself was one of the few cards we had to play in the next few years and he has gone to a direct rival, strengthening them and weakening us.

Granted the position wasn't available now but he surely would not have long to wait and could have forced this hand in.a roundabout way.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

All the talk of retirements is rubbish. A lot of the current KK seniors are in good jobs or enjoy being ambassadors for certain brands of car manufacturers etc, and will not want to give up these "perks". The modern day intercounty hurler is far more media focused than their comrades from the past and as a result I cannot see too many retirements tbh.

KK without a shadow of a doubt need coaching for a gameplan/puckout strategy. Again the question needs to be asked that if they are not being listened to ,why oh why are they staying on for another year. In fairness to DJ he had the integrity to walk when not being listened to. I personally think a lot of people in the current set up(incl players) could do worse than follow suit.

I really don't know where we will end up next year with the way things are going.

Massive move by Henry with only himself and Richie O Niell involved but I presume Tommy will come on board shortly. As has been said before I think the Shamrocks job was one of the easier ones but it was well done and likewise with the Thomastown job(bar a disaster, they'll win in a canter). I think himself and RON still have a massive amount to prove at management level but I do think they'll do well up the west and maybe, just maybe at our expense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Tommy and Dowling already ratified for next year with the camogie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

Retirements is it not time for Buckley , Fogarty , Wally, Hogan to go absolute madness to me if there part of the panel for 2022 .

Henry like most people sees it even if Brian was to go in next year or 2 can't see Kilkenny winning an all Ireland in next 8 years or so no matter whos in charge .....the first thing that has to happen is Jimmy Walsh has to go the worst Chairman we've ever had ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

We have seen in other sports when a long term manager leaves it can be a poison challis.Dessie farrell won the all Ireland with Dublin but I dunno will they be a big queue for the kilkenny job when cody goes.

I don't know Jimmy Walsh but from the outside looking in it seems to be just full of yes men that just move positions every few years.Theres no one there with innovation or vision or anyone to challenge anyone.Our lack of underage success has being well highlighted and we've being incredibly slow to react.Muldowneys appointment being met with resistance kinda sums up the whole thing.We badly need the whole thing to be shaken up and that's unlikely to happen.Its working in offally and cork and clare are getting things together.The is an air of doom and gloom around the county and we need to act very very fast.

I've sat in front of county board representing our club over last few years , to say it's shocking is putting it mildly .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

I could easily name 7/8 lads that should retire, a lot of the older players with the exception of the obvious few have been very very poor the last 4/5 years hence Kilkenny have no All Ireland. As for the the bunch of sleeping dictators in the county board including Cody, delighted Henry gave them the 2 fingers. Kilkenny have become a shambles and its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Is the County Board not made up of club representatives? Surely they can force change and have the officers replaced if they truly wish to?

Looking ahead to next year, when team managers are being selected, now is the time to propose change in how we go through the selection process. No point in waiting until the last moment and moaning about it afterwards. It would send out a clear message that no one person has control.

So, clubs, if you want change, start now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

To me thats where a lot of the problems are the clubs are not strong enough to have there say to much polotics involved.

And did you attempt to do anything about it or did you just sit there silently?

The County Board is all the club reps not just the officers. All are volunteers. If the officers are incompetent then replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭MfMan

Crucially, will he know where Galway are weakest? He might be in for a rude awakening when he finds out how many positions need filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Grats is spot on ,now is the time to change .One poster said a while back that the county board members were surprised how quickly Cody was appointed this year, for f**k sake this is going on for the last twenty years. The majority of posters here seem to be in agreement about the situation, so in conclusion the majority of hurling followers around the county and in the county board must also be in agreement.

No actually quite the contrary , we took them on all the way to Leinster council and Central council......Pat Henderson is still on executive committee he finished managing Kilkenny nearly 40 years ago but still has serious clout ..now don't get me wrong a true kk great but we'll out of date at this stage ..he's just one example ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Took them on in what way exactly regarding what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Was going to say, what do the Leinster Council have to do with the appointment of our county team management?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Pity we don't have a county board like this.

Shane o Neill did not work out for them much the same as Henry went well with club in Limerick time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Listen to the plans they have for S&C, underage setups and adult development squad. That's what I'm referring too.

• Advertisement

The Galway County Board may have finally got their act together. But it remains to be seen as it has been ridiculed up to last week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

He seems like an intelligent and progressive guy the galway hurling committee chairman.. whats his background do you know. ?

Interesting that they reached out to Eddie o sullivan to assist with the interview process..

With the gaa being a big business these days it's more important to have people with high level business experience in these very important positions now and in the future.

Hopefully we will see some changes in the kk county board over the next few years but that will only be brought about by progressive people getting involved at all levels.

A lot of people give out on platforms like this about the co co boards but interesting to see how many are actually willing to Get involved at an administrative level.

See Davy might take up a position as a coach to a team if offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

As expected, Comer beat the Rower to stay up. A goal from a penalty was the main difference between the teams with the Rower also hitting a lot of wides. Both sides forwards struggled. County and ex County men, Kieran Joyce, Joe and Pat Lyng, Richie Leahy, Conor Delaney, Conor Fogarty, Ciaran Wallace did not stand out and Comer may struggle next year as their forwards look weak

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

A really poor game between Comer and the Rower! Comer we’re slightly more clinical and that probably the difference, The Rower hit 6 really bad wides in the last 10 minutes that could have saved them. The turning point was probably at the start of the second half when the Rower corner forward hit the crossbar when through on goal, that might have kicked the Rower on to go on and win! As the previous poster mentioned not many stand out performances, in fairness to Leahy he seemed to be badly hampered by an injury and could barely run by the end. I thought Jamie Holohan for Comer was one of there better performers, Michael Murphy was quiet but in fairness stood up when needed in the second half and nailed a few long range frees that won them the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tullogher and Mooncoin in the junior final.

Huge crowd in clara for the relegation match.Comer slightly the better team.I thought Murphy stood up in the second half when they needed leadership.He won a few frees himself but more importantly he nailed a few after Jack buggy missed a few.The rower drove a few awful wides from play and frees and changed the free taker a few times.Leahy got a good point but ended up in full forward and looked to be struggling.He has being cursed with injury and you would wonder will he ever get to reach his full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amber_black

Great win for the Amber Black men today. Some great points taken in second half. These are always tricky fixtures. The second match was a non event. Mooncoin had match over by half time. The junior final has potential to be a great match. Intermediate semis tomorrow how do people see these going First match will be tight not much between them The second match if thomastown turn up they should win comfortably enough.

Post edited by amber_black on

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

The weather will be a big equaliser in both of the intermediate semis. Fenians will probably love it, glenmore and thomastown probably prefer drier weather and ball. Thomastown have a few injuries also which balances things.

This will be different type of hurling to even the quarter finals after a full week of rain almost.

Sounds like Walter went well in the junior, the mooncoin situation is crazy with junior a's winning and hoping they can go up if the juniors win.

• Advertisement

Advertisement