Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

At least here in Ireland our main fuse/breaker isnt the ESB fuse!

Always seems weird to me, that watching electrician videos in the UK, the DNO fuse is the main fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ha, yeah they'll put type 3c plugs on the chargers hand out adapters with each car so only stellantis cars can use them

15,000 isn't that many when you consider the size of most European countries. France alone has 67 million people, so even 1% EV adoption and occasional public charging use would quickly overwhelm that network

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got to thinking about home charging and the new big batteries that are coming on cars.

As the owner of a Leaf24 with 6.6kw charging, I have no issue with overnight charging fitting within the cheap rate electricity time slot.

But what about these new, much bigger batteries (not even sure what the largest battery available on a production model EV is now?).

What is the max power that a home will allow an EV to charge at, without getting any special modification done to your electrical system at home?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tesla’s have been coming with 100kWh batteries for years now.

in reality though who’s going to be charging from 0-100% every night?

night period is 9 hours, so you could take on 63kWh in that time. If you needed more in a single nightly charge, I’d say that’d be an outlier rather than the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Most chargers will top out about 7.2kwh on a single phase connection iirc. You need 3 phase above that and that doesn't come standard and has additional install charges, work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware the clock on your night rate meter can drift a bit over time, as in 10 or 15 minutes different from actual time. It's worse on older more mechanical clocks but the newer ones are supposed to get messages to correct themselves but some don't. Check the time on the meter versus your phone time. I typically set it to come on quite late for multiple reasons

1) I don't want car sitting at 100% for long periods un necessarily

2) Charging warns battery increasing range but battery cools after charging stops, so handy having warmer battery in morning.

3) I have preheat cabin set to come on, the amount of preheat depends on the weather, but typically 15 minutes, I make sure charging is finished before preheat comes on. This also warms the battery and reduces the need for cabin heating increasing the range.

4) I have charging set to continue way past normal say until 9am, in case battery is very, very low but also car equalises the cells when at 100%. Preheat can also drain battery below 100% as it takes more power than charger provides, so sometimes battery is 99% after preheat.

I typically start charging at 00:25 or 01:25 until 09:00 which gives times for battery to fill to 100% no matter how low.

It'd take 11 hours to charge my ID.4 from flat on the home charger, so it'll spill outside the night rate a bit

As others have said, for now charging that amount daily is a bit of an outlier, so you can fill up the battery over a couple of days if needed

What rate does your ID3 charge at? Battery size?

Just wondering what you'd have to do to charge your car fully within the night rate, say maybe in 5 yrs time when big batteries are the norm?

What sort of cost is involved to get a 3-phase install done?

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

You’d never be charging from zero though. And very rarely to full. We charge to 80% except in hours before I commute to Dublin I’ll charge to 90% even though I don’t need to.

this is our GOM with 80% charge now. (77kwh battery)

I appreciate it you'll never be starting at 0% battery, but just curious about what charging speeds at home will be in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

It’s hard to see home charging speeds exceeding 7kW in the near future. You can always pay ESB a small fortune to upgrade your home supply to 3ph, possibly replace your home charger to take advantage of it and you might also need a car that can charge faster than 7kW AC (like an older Tesla MS or MX with upgraded AC charger).

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Surprising poor GOM for 80% of 77kwh. Roughly 61kwh. The Korean cousins Niro/Soul/Kona @ 64kwh will return circa 430-450km. I’m not comparing the quality of the cars by the way just surprised by VWs inefficiency. The Id3 is IMO a nicer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

I do 500 km commuting a week of which majority is motorway at max speed. I get about 16 kWh / 100 km. I doubt the Korean cars would be more efficient. Perhaps a Tesla would be.

edit sorry it’s 16.9 kwh/100 km on the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

You're in for a surprise. Kona is as efficient as the model 3. I commute the lenght of M50 with both of them and M3 is marginally better at higher speeds while Kona gets better at city driving. After driving 52.5k km on Kona the average consumption is 15. 3 kWh/100km while M3 after 10.5k km is at 14.8 kWh/100km but tesla didn't go through a winter yet. Also Tesla’s vampire drain is an order of magnitude greater than Kona's.

EV database has a top of the most efficient cars

Kona is one of the most efficient cars with large battery right behind Tesla.

I think it's around €2.5k for the grid connection before vat and other works like trenching or infrastructure upgrades

It might be worthwhile for folks renovating, I know of one or two people here needed 3 phase anyway for bigger heat pumps so they went with 3 phase chargers as well

A lot of newer cars can take 11kW on 3 phase, so there is an advantage, but it'll never really pay for itself for EV charging alone

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Your figures look very accurate to me Innrain. Spot on Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Absolutely no need for anything more than 1ph 7.2kwh charging for the vast, vast majority of users.

8hrs at 7.2 kwh gives ~ 60kwh of charge. At 15kwh/ 100km, thats enough to get to Dublin and back from Cork.

If you are doing that daily, you are probs a professional driver and will have 3phase anyway.

You can actually get 11kwh from a 1phase supply if your charger and car support it which is even more than enough.

No car here (in Europe) can charge at 11kw on single phase, no charger supports it nor does any cable.

There is a 48amp option in some cars in the US I think

Audi's compact charging system has a 1ph, 11kwh version.

your gonna have to cite some references there. Unless its using an inverter to change the singe phase to 3 phase, 32amps is the max for chargepoints and cables, In europe.

• Advertisement

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The math on 3phase (if it costs €2.5k) could be worth doing if these stupid smart meter rates stay as they are. Only 2 hours of cheap electricity overnight, vs the current 9. Or 9 hours of night rate, but at ~ 12c/kWh.

Ah thats the Portable charge point (like a beefed up granny cable). I also think its only for the North American Market, where they dont have much three phase power but really beefy split phase 120/240 (in some places). - I dont think any Etrons in europe charge any faster than 32amps.

I think you can get charge points over there all the way up to 70amps, but the car needs to support it too. The car physically controls the power, not the charge point. It only does the signalling.

The 32amp isnt a limit on the connector, but more of the cables to and from the charge point. (the AC only Zoe's can charge at 43kw on AC, but i dont think you can get them anymore, and the rapid AC is being phased out)

Hmm. Fair points.

The info on this stuff takes quite a bit of weeding out i find.

I see no reason for a 7.2kw limit domestically. My shower is ~11kw. Granted, its on the CU side and doesn't run for hours at a time but with proper design, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Still, i think going forward, eventually, batteries will be fine with (commercial) high power DC charging and domestic charging will become a luxury rather than a necessity, used for trickle charging. It's a fascinating scene atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I don't think bigger is better will continue going forward. If I'd make a parallel to the semi industry in the 90s there was a race on the number of transistors on a chip and high clock speeds. After 00s they realised thats not all and went for refinement resulting in more efficient use of resources. And finally the winner technology ARM is way less powerful but way more flexible and efficient. Going back to the cars, now that EVs become mainstream there will be a race on their efficiency. 7 kW means 40km/h for me and if I use that 8h every day that's over 2000 km a week. Every % increase in the efficiency would make this figure even bigger.

Yeah I feel like people who think mainstream EVs are going to have 200kWh batteries are dreaming.

Even if all the upcoming battery technologies pay off it'll likely translate into smaller lighter batteries for most cars rather than more capacity 

I think 50-80kWh is going to become the norm for most cars for the next decade. Most people are fine with a car that will go 300-400km between charges. Bigger batteries will be reserved for the luxury segment 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Hopefully you're right, no need for 90% of people to have a battery bigger than 50-70kwh in Ireland anyway.

Mine is only around 50 and can get anywhere on the island with one stop, which I'd do anyway if driving over 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Comer1

I have no problem with one or two stops on a journey, but I would have a problem with waiting an hour in a queue for a charger. The public fast charging network is the weak link in all this and EV sales are increasing way faster than the network, so things are only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think there may be a move to 11kW for some folks, particularly rural.

It's the norm in some EU countries already. If I have 2 Evs I'd like the option to charge both, or add 9*11 99kWh overnight in some breakdown. EG 60kWh for a main car and 40kWh for the second.

I accept we're an edge case but there's probably a few rural dwellers like us that do 50k plus in a year.

Actually, hold that thought, if I were installing 11kW I'd just install a single phase 7.4kW and a single phase 3.7kW instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We are two EV household, we just chat as to who needs to use the charger what night, it's never been an issue in 4+ years. We have Zappi and worst case scenario an outside socket to granny charge but the need has never arisen

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement