Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we in Ireland be concerned about Jihad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It's there any actual bacon in bacon fries. I suspect not.

I would imagine it's an association in many ignorant minds, for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,623 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I wouldn't associate rap or C&W with any of those things, maybe it's just you? And if others don't associate those things to those genre of music then maybe they don't make the "natural association" to the call to prayer as you do.

It's like people are not one big homogeneous blob and are capable of having independent thoughts of their own, that must be a nightmare to you and your hive mind ilk.

They would argue that the culture was there before the music. That the music reflects the culture not the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭jmreire

Overall, the biggest Nr of victims of jihadism are fellow Muslims, be they Shia or Sunni. The Nr. of Europeans ( for example ) killed / injured in Jihadi attacks pales into insignificance compared to the Nr's of Muslims killed by Jihadis, and ironically predominantly in Islamic Country's. Imagine what they would do if they ( jihadists) got the chance in the west.....Practically all of the Muslims I know, and I know a lot of them, both Shia / Sunni absolutely despise jihadists, mainly because they have had relatives or friends killed by them, or know families who have had. Anywhere, and I mean anywhere, you find Religious Jihad...you will find trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Cordell

Assuming there isn't: it depends on whether you follow the spirit or the letter of the law. In these days pork was really dangerous (easy to spoil and carrying parasites) hence the law was made against it, and since the people back then would not listed to reason (unlike today lol) they made pork forbidden by divinity. But today's pork is actually safer than other halal/kosher meats like fish and poultry so if they were to really be moderate rational people they would eat it, and have no problem with fake pork like bacon flavored crisps. But we all know that they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭jmreire

According to one of my Muslim friends, pork meat was a common food back then...until Mohammad eat it, and got sick, which caused him to forbid it for everyone. And that stands to this day, but depending on how far away you are from extreme Islam, the more "relaxed" these rules are, so its quite possible that this rule is not universally obeyed.

Pity Muhammed didnt get a spinal cord injury while he engaged in war.. he would have banned jihad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The usual suspects spouting the "Islam is peaceful" rhetoric whilst denouncing other religions.

I'll agree that other religions have been awful in the past as well, personally I feel all religions are equally stupid and any time spent engaged with their beliefs is time wasted, however Islam is an outlier even in the muddy waters of religious belief systems.

The engrained intolerance within Islam is truly remarkable, be it the need to conquer and impose itself wherever it goes, to it's hardwired misogyny and homophobia, it's antediluvian Sharia law, the list goes on.

Just look to Saudi Arabia for all you need to know about the truth of Islam. The litany of human rights abuses in that country is truly phenomenal, it's treatment of women or lgbtq people is horrific never mind the public executions carried out by its religious police. It's the country that is home to Islam, home to Wahabism, the breeding ground for the ideology that enabled the worst terrorist attacks in history.

Anyone laboring the point that Islam is a religion of peace whilst denouncing historical abuses by other religions as a means of excusing the behavior inside Islam is living in a fantasy world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

You put "islam is peaceful" in quotations marks as if it is a quote by someone in this thread. Who is it supposed to be quoting?

You then build a strawman argument arguing against this imagined quotation. But I cant find a single poster stating this in this thread.

Who are you arguing against?

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

°°°°°

You didn't look very hard.

How about rebutting my argument as opposed to the usual ad hominem nonsense you seem so fond of?

What's your opinion on the rest of the post you quoted? What do you think of the way Islam treats women or lgbtq people?

So you posted "The usual suspects spouting the "Islam is peaceful" rhetoric whilst denouncing other religions."

That poster is not saying islam is peaceful and denouncing Christianity as you posted. Try again

The definition of peace in Islam is not the definition of peace we have in West. In Islam there will be peace only when everybody has submitted to Islam. Then you will have the universal "ISlamic Peace". Then they turn on eachother like they always do

°°°°°

They went on to post repeatedly on the past crimes of other religions including Christianity. Read the thread.

I don't have a dog in the" which religion is better" fight but Islam is clearly currently engaged in the type of horrendous behavior the other major religions have long left behind.

The narcissistic posturing you're attempting is undermined by your own inability to read the thread.

"Try again", hilarious.

Also, could you clarify your thoughts on how Islam treats women and the LGBTQ community?

What about the request from the Christian \ Jewish god to burn all the people and towns of those who believe in false gods and then they will receive the bounty of the lord. Is that meant in a peaceful way?

12 If you hear it said about one of the towns the Lord your God is giving you to live in 13 that troublemakers have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods you have not known), 14 then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15 you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. You must destroy it completely,[b] both its people and its livestock. 16 You are to gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. That town is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt, 17 and none of the condemned things[c] are to be found in your hands. Then the Lord will turn from his fierce anger, will show you mercy, and will have compassion on you. He will increase your numbers, as he promised on oath to your ancestors— 

Deuteronomy 13

Does Christianity have no crimes to repent for?

°°°°°

Yes it does.

Does it encourage terrorism today? No it doesn't.

And again I ask you, what is your opinion on the treatment of women and the LGBTQ community by Islam?

Looks like you don't want to answer that question.

All religions encourage fundamentalists with violent tendencies. Not a single major religious text is innocent in that regard.

Are you asking this question about the Islamic community in Ireland or is this a global Islamic community you are enquiring about?

°°°°°

So we have fundamentalist Christians, Jews and Buddhists blowing themselves up around the world? Your argument doesn't hold water.

I addressed the situation in Saudi Arabia.

Can you clarify your thoughts on Islam's treatment of women and the LGBTQ community?

• Advertisement

This is a thread abort Ireland, what is the relevance of Saudi Arabia?

How many fundamental Islamic terrorists have blown themselves up in Ireland?

Saudi Arabia are not well know for their equality, there are worse strict islamic countries however. I would have issues with the human rights violations in these countries.

blaming Islam is lazy. Considering the Muslim majority countries that are not strict islamic states, do not have those issues, clearly it is not just Islam that caused those issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,623 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

what is your opinion on the treatment of women and the LGBTQ community by Christianity?

Sure not all Christians are the same but neither are all Muslims, you're lumping all Muslims into one grouping when you use the term Islam instead of Islamic fanatics. Would it be OK for me to lump you in with westboro baptist church because meh....Christians are all the same?

°°°°°

So Islamic fundamentalist terrorism is not related to Islam?

°°°°°

So all Christians believe the same nonsense the Westboro Baptist Church?

Islam encourages behaviors that most belief systems have moved past.

I'm by no means saying "all Muslims" (point out where I said that even once please). I'm talking about the prevailing ideology of Islam as a belief system.

Christianity doesn't have the type of hold over countries where it is practiced that Islam does, so Christianity's treatment of women and LGBTQ people isn't as much of a problem and comparing that to how Islam treats those groups isn't a reasonable comparison.

°°°°°

What's your opinion on Islams treatment of women and LGBTQ people?

Saudi Arabia is relevant because it is the home of Islam, and it influences the behavior of Muslims around the world.

So Irish Muslims are not Irish, they are Saudi Arabian is that the implication of your post?

°°°°°

How could you possibly reach that conclusion?

I stated that Islamic beliefs are largely influenced by Saudi Arabia as it is the centre of Islamic belief.

And again, I ask you; what is your opinion on the treatment of women and the LGBTQ community in Islam?

You did not say that. You say Saudi Arabia is the home of Islam.

And again I ask which Islamic community?

• Advertisement

That you have to ask which least worse religion is a question that answers itself.

Advertisement