Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

With the Tomb Raider anniversary, I want to get back into that work and saw i have Rise o if the TR which i never completed and Shadow of the TR which i never even tried. I see Shadow includes 7 dlc tombs so maybe that night be worth doing, sounds like a break from the Uncharted shooty set pieces.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I miss the late PS2 / early 360 era of Tomb Raider games - Anniversary, Legend etc… They felt like they had the essence of the original games, but finally liberated from the blockiness of the PS1 engine. I really, really didn’t like the reboot games in comparison.

Tempted to pick up a copy of Anniversary now!

If there was any TR game I could play right now, it would be Anniversary. I only remember playing a small bit of it and i don't know why i never played now but loved the throw back to the original with updated engine. Really hoping the rumoured 25th anniversary edition is a remaster of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really enjoyed Anniversary. It felt like it followed the example of the Reis REmake. It was a new more modern take on the themes of the first game but it was also a new experience and didn't negate the original game. I still think the original is the best since it's so unique but Anniversary was excellent as well save for the bad boss fights and QTEs.

It's also worth playing through anniversary with the developer commentary on, it's really interesting. Stuff like how the first level in south america is named after a long lost Aztec City which in between the release of Tomb Raider and Anniversary was actually discovered and is no longer long lost. And how they had to make the T-Rex 3 times bigger than the one in TR1 to try and more it imposing as the more realistically sized T-Rex in the original looked tiny to modern eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Only space marine worth his salt is 'Doom guy'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It really is the law of diminishing returns with the reboot games. Shadow was an extraordinarily dull game.

I mostly heard that but looking into it this morning, a lot of posts say it's much better c then the first 2 with an emphasis on exploring over action but trying not to get false hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

i wouldnt say it was 'much' better, the main improvement was it put more of an emphasis on exploring and had actual tombs to raid. Its definitley better than the first one, but ultimately, more of the same, so if you didnt like the first one, this isn't going to turn you around on them.

I enjoyed the first one but became numbb to the Uncharted combat sections. Rise seemed to take an interesting semi open world take but for some reason just found it really boring. Will give Shadow a go anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really didn't care for either reboot or Rise. Maddeningly generic games, with all the interesting edges sanded down to nothing. They have absolutely none of the sense of adventure or puzzling of the original games, outside brief side missions that are the best part of the game but a tiny section of the overall experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I actually found the new Tomb Raider games quite nice. Nothing ground-breaking or anything, but well produced games that entertained me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I enjoyed the reboots also. I also enjoyed all the ones on the 360, Legend, Anniversary etc... I played them all but never played the originals back in the day due to never owning a console back then so I do not know which ones were best. Actually just thinking about it more my cousin had one or two Tomb Raider games back then but he lived on the other side of the country and when I was at his house there would be a few cousins so didn't actually get to play it from start to finish or anything but I did explore the mansion in which ever game you were able to do that.

Just finished the Outer Wilds. What an incredible game.

Yes, yes it is! Now buy the Echoes of the Eye dlc to keep the party going :)

Was going to pick up a copy on Steam there and recalled I had picked up a Tomb Raider bundle on Humble a good few years back. Lo and behold, an unclaimed copy of Anniversary was sitting there in my library :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I never liked any FPS to be honest. And I didn't know who Master Chief / chef / whatever was until I got an Xbox last year... ! 😝And I've tried a few over the years. Next up Halo Infinite, which I'll give a good spin, since it's on GamePass and it's a Series console tent pole game.

I think Xboxes have a built in software for randomly generating FPS games.

I liked the first 2 of those recent Tomb Raider games, not least as I got them cheap on the MS store, but have forgotten completely about them. Definitely a distraction. The resolution and/or frame rates improve as the series progresses. So, the last one, shadow, is 4k 60 FPS, But I don't have the time or inclination to play it.

Started the Outer Wilds, but my brain and patience was too dumbed down after the above games. And it also left GamePass. Will definitely get it some time on sale, and give it a decent go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Could never warm to Halo. Something along the lines of how much ammo it was taking to kill enemies, when someone said "uR syppzed to do teh hedSh0ts" in some Halo fanboy way, and I stopped playing. Found it very meh for the little time I played of it. Up there with Final Fantasy as games I don't understand why people love them so much. Each to their own.

Rebooted TR's were grand, but they weren't TR's. They were action games set in the TR universe, but my god you don't do an awful lot of raiding tombs, at least in the first couple. A more suitable name would be Mass Murder Expedition. But I got worn out by the third one and never finished it after a few attempts. Might try it again some day. Good looking games in fairness, and I remember the hype over Lara's hair in the first one, TressFX or something it was on PC.

Still have to play Uncharted 4...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

All this talk of Tomb Raider and Uncharted has reminded me that there's an Indiana Jones game on the way. I'm really curious to see what direction MachineGames go with. Sure, I don't particularly expect innovation from Bethesda but if it's as much of a passion project for Todd as they'd have us believe, then hopefully it won't be a mere copy/paste of Lara's recent outings.

Anyone playing Gloomhaven now that it's out of early access? Have played a bit of the board game, but the PC game's a stellar adaptation of a fascinating, sprawling RPG. Had played a good chunk of the PC-exclusive guildmaster mode, but the campaign (a direct adaptation of the tabletop version) has much stronger level design so enjoying that a lot.

Fair warning: you probably need two-three friends willing to commit to get the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Played the first few hours of Guardians of the Galaxy last night. It's.... fine. It's okay. Some good ideas that work, lot of bad ones that don't. The RPG-type element of talking to the others, picking sides etc, seems utterly inconsequential. The control system is a mess because there are way the f*ck too many commands by the time you unlock further abilities for each Guardian (Hold L1 to choose Guardian commands, then face button for each Guardian, then face button again for each of that Guardian's attacks, not to mention holding in the left stick and then pressing a face button for Peter's four abilities, and then D-pad for different gun element ammo).

The story and characters are well presented though. Familiar to the movie versions, but different enough to be their own thing. I'm enjoying the level design too, exploring the occasional small side path. Characters can talk way too much though, and because they came up with words to use instead of actual swear words, you hear the same words being used all the flarking time.

It's fine though. Nothing is egregious enough to stop playing, but doubt it'll be anything more than a one-and-done playthrough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Standard triple A blandness then? I think I find that worse than a bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Found the Tomb Raider reboot excellent but its two sequels became mind-numbingly boring a few hours in to the point that I was skipping cut scenes just to get through it.

Ok, not really for the general channel, but since we've been discussing it ...

Tomb Raider games on Xbox sale, including last 3 games, definite editions individual and as a set ...

Also , is this game as good as that other flight combat game that's mentioned on here a lot. 😝

I wonder

Not played a lot of it but what I did play is as good as some flight sim I can't remember the name of.

It does excel in one area, the entire campaign can be played in vr and it works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The amount of dialogue in Hades is very impressive.

I've put 20+ hours into Hades now, finished the main story and there is still new chatter every run. I don't think I've heard a repeated line yet. And it's such good quality voice acting too.

AAA games are gonna leave me feeling unfulfilled now when the NPCs have about a dozen lines of dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Ace Combat skies unknown?

Although you completely that one so you would have remembered it, can't think of any other arcade air combat games that are like it.

I’ve listened to two separate podcasts now where the hosts have highlighted the sheer volume of dialogue and banter in Guardians of the Galaxy. Both ended up on the side of there’s *too much* dialogue recorded - apparently the characters never shut up with new lines of dialogue for every little thing you do in the game 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh it's non-stop. Even when you go down a small side path without them to find/search for upgrade materials, they're still yelling at you from a distance about how you're going the wrong way or wasting time, or arguing amongst themselves.

It hasn't gotten to the point of annoyance yet, but it very well may do.

At least with Hades in the middle of a tough fight, Dionysus isn't shouting at you that his skills aren't being used effectively.

Advertisement