Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@Snooker Loopy wrote:

We had 42 hospitalised by Covid on July 3rd. It's now 513.

We had 15 in ICU with Covid on July 9th, now it's 97.

We had 2,020 people in hospital on 18th January, it's now 503

We had 221 in ICU on 24th January, now it's 97

We can cherrypick data all we like to "prove" that one number is worse than another. The only thing that's important is the trend. Hospital admissions have slowed drastically. They grew by 20% in the week to 18th October. And then by just 2% in the week to 25th October.

The numbers given by Donnelly are already out of date.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I was in London in September. People living their lives as normal not locked into their houses in fear of a virus they’re vaccinated against. It was wonderful to spend 3 days in “Plague Island” away from “Social Restrictions Island”

The UK are examples of exactly how to do it. Not like the geniuses here waiting til winter to lift restrictions and causing another massive surge which will no doubt threaten the collapse the house of cards which is the HSE.

The new variant (AY.4.2), which hasn’t been given a proper name yet (Delta Plus sounds like a premium economy product on Delta Air Lines), was always going to appear in some shape or form at some stage. This is an endemic virus. It cannot be controlled anymore and restrictions such as those in Ireland are futile but for the depressing reality that restricting social activities has become a solution to prevent the collapse of a health system which has been neglected for many years and the avoidance of making hard decisions to reform the system instead of just throwing more cash at it is coming home to roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

I don't think there's a chance in he11 there'll be another lockdown tbh. I think what we have now is where we're going to be for the next 6 months or so. Then again who really knows with this. I thought De Gascun gave a good explanation at the briefing the other day about how a virus becomes endemic, and at the end basically said we still don't know yet how long it will take for this one to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't thing a lockdown is inevitable at all. But, nobody claimed the vaccine was a silver bullet; many acted as though it was though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Which I can deal with far better than the approach of indefinitely closing everything, to be honest.Here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

I'm sorry but hospitalisations are continuing to go steadily up with no sign of a flattening out. There is no indication at all of a reversal.

A couple of weeks I was posting here saying that things were deteriorating steadily on the numbers front and you disputed this.

You were wrong.

These are not cherrypicked figures.

They are figures which are entirely representative of broad trends.

And given that since October 22nd we have opened up the country more, and we have winter ahead of us, there is no logical reason to believe these trends will reverse or even flatten out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

You may need to say this a few more times.

ICU and hospital numbers at the moment are due to the big spike that started weeks ago.

We are over that now. First hospital admissions drop, then the rest lag behind.

How do people not know this by now

All I see here is you saying "it's over", with no evidence at all.

When I pointed out two/three weeks ago that there was an increase in cases, hospitalisations, ICU numbers, I was told by other posters here there was no increase!

Now it's a "spike"?

That's not how it works.

Since July the pattern has been clear. The amount of people flowing into hospitals has been greater than the flow out. So the numbers keep building up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We aren't and should never implement restrictions and stop living our lives over fear of 'long covid', the most common symptom seemingly being 'fatigue'. I'm fatigued from reading people post about it.

If you're doubled vaxxed this whole thing is just irrational fear at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Look up hospital admissions and come back to me

Also it will never be 'over'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

But we've been running at 2000+ cases for the last fortnight, these have still to feed through to hospitalisations.

There's also another 2 weeks of waning immuinity, especially in the 60 year old cohort that were given AZ.

Throw in the increased social gatherings etc, winter, Delta Plus, thing is a tinder keg

I've been looking at the hospital admissions and ICU figures for weeks.

I base what I say on the figures and the long term trends.

The only thing that says hospital admissions and ICU figures were decline is blind optimism.

It isn't irrational fear. The vast majority of people who are double vaccinated have loved ones in the most at risk age groups.

The rhetoric of extreme right-wing American individualism and libertarianism is no sound basis for how to proceed, it's the last thing you'd look to for how to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You might want to take a few weeks away from looking at them as they seem to be telling you what you've already decided. Where exactly does this trajectory of yours lead? To you being right and others wrong? Or are you trying to steer people to your own heightened level of anxiety?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

Good job there was a 3 months gap with AZ as it would of been far worse. Come to think of it extending the Pfizer to 3 months as well looks like a good idea now also when you think about it.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Are you hoping to keep these loved ones alive forever? And what is your end game? Endless restrictions with no end in sight and why do you think it is acceptable to tell other people how to live their lives?

Honestly at this point if you are that afraid of catching Covid people need to stay at home and get groceries delivered etc. Let the rest of us get on with our lives.

I base my arguments on the numbers.

I've already stated where I think the figures lead.

Where in your opinion do they lead? And why?

Why would it not be rational to have anxiety about what happens this winter?

You seem to be saying that anybody who does have anxiety about what happens this winter deserves ridicule? Is this so? Is that what you are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

No, you base your arguments on how you perceive the numbers.

If your going to cite the data you may need to actually look at the data

Admissions are falling. Discharges have not caught up yet.

Oh, I'm on the optimistic end of things and like others tend to take a 2-3 week window view of it. On that basis it's at a high level but not necessarily growing at an alarming rate. I certainly don't see that where we were say 6 weeks ago gives us an indication of anything.

• Advertisement

You've answered no questions and given no reasoning there.

Blind optimism.

Nowhere on Boards does it say anyone has to answer any questions!

2-3 week window, high but not alarming, 6 weeks irrelevant is an answer, maybe not one you like and we move on.

Our case numbers rose to their highest since last winter just four or five days ago.

Your hospitalisations figure on a particular day is a function of your case figure from six/seven days previous.

You cannot be serious in what you are saying. Since July, the trend has been that the flow of Covid patients into hospitals has exceeded those flowing out.

This is a long running trend.

Those who ignore it are wilfully egging us on as a society to repeat the same mistakes as before again.

We had 155 Covid deaths in September, by the way. September should be one of the least bad months for Covid deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't really see how it's credible to say that we've flattened out or whatever you want to say in relation to numbers in hospital.

We're still seeing relatively high case numbers which haven't fed into admissions yet, we've opened up yet further and Winter hasn't even started yet. Seems to me highly improbable that cases and resulting hospitalisations won't increase.

Maybe there will be short term fluctuations, but there's an element of clutching at straws going on here to my eyes and people refusing to accept what seems to be blindly obvious, at least to me. Much the same way that if you turn the clock back 3-4 weeks there was a lot of people here who thought a potential or partial delay to lifting of aspects of restrictions was laughable. It was always possible.

As always, could be wrong, and I'm not advocating for restrictions, but I think it's a bit naive to think that things can't disimprove or that further restrictions won't be reimposed depending on circumstances.

Hospiteal admissions have increased 10 fold since july?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Cold as it sounds I agree with this, cocoon if you have to.

It still doesn't adress the fact the hospitals will be overrun regardless.

@Snooker Loopy wrote:

I'm sorry but hospitalisations are continuing to go steadily up with no sign of a flattening out. There is no indication at all of a reversal.

I posted it yesterday, you probably missed it.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118073884#Comment_118073884

I'll even update it to account for today's numbers;

A couple of weeks I was posting here saying that things were deteriorating steadily on the numbers front and you disputed this

Yes. And you can see by the graph above that I was quite right to dispute it. When you claimed that numbers would continue to rise "steadily", we were at 484 people in hospital. 9 days later, we have 503. 19 more. At this rate there'll be a whole 600 people in hospital by Xmas. That's not the "steadily" you had in mind. The reality is that at current levels, hospital numbers will stabilise around 500 +/- 10%, ICU will stabilise around 100 +/- 10%.

There's a possibility we'll start to see a decline, but that's just adding optimism to the figures.

It's pretty clear that you've paid no attention to the numbers at all except what you hear being called out on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

People see what they want to see. You have figures of how this Delta wave has acted from the UK which was the highest vaxed country at the time with no waning problems

End of April - Cases of Delta found in bigger numbers

Mid May - All figures start rising gradually but not crazy from a very low starting point

Mid July - reaches a peak then falls for two weeks

August - Takes off again with all figures rising faster from a higher starting point

End of October - Here we are !

If night follows day as it did with Alpha most Euro countries are where UK was mid August, apart from the Scandanavians and the Med countries who had those record heatwaves this year and will probably start up again last.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

We've been running at higher case numbers since the start of October. The link between cases and hospitalisations is a little more complex now than it was before. There's no real linear relationship, and despite high cases number for the last ten days, daily hospitalisations have been dropping. Which doesn't make sense unless you take into account the age profile of the new infections.

I also have a hunch that over the next two weeks we're going to see a decent drop-off in testing numbers and positive swabs. Since the start of October there have been other flu-like illnesses circulating, driving high testing rates at covid centres. This appears to be easing off, which likewise will cause a drop-off in testing numbers. But that's a pure hunch, these have failed me often in the past :D

• Advertisement

Hospitals have been overrun every winter since year dot in this country, for nearly two years the HSE sat on their hands and spurned the opportunity (somehow) to expand capacity and relieve some of the pressure in lieu of the inevitable rise of admissions. Two summers have come and gone in this pandemic, not a tap done when things were relatively quieter. Instead, there is a now a deliberate campaign to demonise the public and divert attention away from glaring flaws of our malfunctioning health service. This state-sponsored finger wagging needs to stop, address the failings within and call off the attack dogs - Claire Byrne, Joe Duffy and other shameless government stooges.

Advertisement