Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That first sentence is completely wrong. Surely you can see that there is no equivocation between 3rd place in the 6N and getting to the last 4 of the World Cup? One is significantly more difficult to do than the other.

Whatever coach of ours eventually breaks the glass ceiling and gets us to a WC semi final will have achieved something that every single coach before him has failed to achieve.

Getting to a WC semi final would be a greater achievement for Irish Rugby than winning a Grand Slam. It's much more difficult.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,471 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

"Getting to a WC semi final would be a greater achievement for Irish Rugby than winning a Grand Slam. It's much more difficult."

If we grant this premise (and I'm not sure I do tbh) I would say that's only the case because of the success we've enjoyed in the 6 Nations over the last decade or so, tho. I don't think anyone would have been making that argument pre-2009, say.

The same will happen once we eventually break our QF duck. It's a huge monkey on our back, but once we've gotten to a SF (and we will) nobody will be saying a SF would be a greater achievement than winning a GS.

It's the same with winning a Test vs NZ.

How?

RWC:

• Fixed squad size and camps
    • No break weeks
    • No home games
    • Higher quality opposition, generally including the best team(s) in the world.

A GS is a remarkable achievement but it is irrefutable that going the distance in the WC is a much harder task due to the nature of the competition.

joint 4th in a RWC does not come any where close to winning a grand slam.

it may be your opinion that it exceeds it.. fair enough.. but in my opinion the only thing that would top a 6N grand slam is to win the RWC

• Advertisement

Joint 4th in a RWC is a more difficult feat to accomplish than winning a grand slam. Obviously it's not a trophy, there'd be no open top bus parade, but it is more difficult.

For the reasons I outlined above. It's not an opinion. Our results back it up.

You didn't say "going the distance" tho. You said "Getting to a WC semi final". (To be fair, you did also say "for Irish rugby").

And a lot of it can depend on the draw. France got to a SF in 2011 by winning 3 out of 5 matches. In order, those matches were against

Japan (W)

Canada (W)

NZ (L)

Tonga (L)

England (W)

There's no way you can convince me that's a bigger achievement that winning a GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

Great example.

Lolesio was given 7 test starts and he's struggled and is no better than he was before he was capped. So they reverted to the 33 year old proven test player and guess what, he's way better and they beat the Boks twice in a row.

Because giving a kid a test jersey does not a test player make.

Some people will probably say "he wasn't given a proper chance" lol

wales reached a RWC semi final in 2011 by beating:

fiji, samoa, namibia and ireland

under no twisted logic is that a better achievement that wining a grand slam

Lads, I am not diminishing winning a GS. I am simply saying getting to a semi final in the WC is a much more difficult task. It absolutely is, you only have to look at our own history to see how. I laid out the reasons above. Pointing out when one team got an easy draw one time is not going to change the fact. We had a great draw in 2019 and we still weren't able to do it, we got beat by Japan!

You need a squad of limited size to put in top quality performances week after week, away from home, generally against better sides. It happens once every 4 years, you need your squad to be in peak condition at the right time.

We have never been able to do it, because it's very, very difficult. We have won a GS a few times, because you get to attempt this every single year and it requires winning 5 matches, 2 or 3 of which will be at home, 1 of which is pretty much a guaranteed win against Italy. It's still very difficult, it doesn't happen all the time, but it is definitely much more achievable for teams to do.

• Advertisement

This is getting silly now. Yes syd, of course in this absolutely specific example it was not as difficult. We are speaking generally here though.

I know that it is more difficult because after every single world cup this place is absolutely full of defeatists telling us all that we shouldn't aim for WC semi finals because we aren't good enough, or we aren't big enough, or we don't have enough players, so we should just focus on the 6N instead. The WC is for the big teams like England, France, NZ, South Africa etc.

Now those same people are saying the 6N is actually more difficult. Arguing both sides of the coin, depending on what argument suits at the time.

We really didn’t have a great draw in 2019. Even if we had beaten Japan, we’d have been up against the current RWC winners in the QF. Which demonstrates exactly the vagaries of the draw.

The point is, luck of the draw can come into it at a RWC, and in a one off match, who knows what can happen. That just doesn’t happen if you are to win a GS. Take Scotland in 2015, one ref decision away from getting to a SF. But they haven’t been within an asses roar of a GS for years. And I highly doubt any Scottish fan would be claiming getting to that SF would’ve been a better achievement than winning a GS.

Even pointing to our history, the maths just doesn’t stack up. We have, what, 3 GS’s in our 100+ year history. We’ve failed to get to a RWC SF in 9 attempts.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm reasonably optimistic about the season ahead.

I think if the Porter/Kelleher/Furlong front row pays off then we will have one hell of a foundation to play off.

We are developing an outstanding pack and forwards win matches. The front row above plus Cian Healy is very exciting, when we do manage to get both Henderson and Ryan on the pitch at the same time it usually coincides with our most physical performances. We have two Lions in Beirne and Conan in the back row and there are arguments about whether they'll even get into the team with the likes of Coombes and Doris around. Also, and I know he isn't back in the squad yet, but a fully fit and performing Dan Leavy could be very significant.

The backs are probably less star studded than they have been in the past. A lot of them are quite direct runners, it would be nice to see a centre with a low centre of gravity and genuinely good footwork emerge from somewhere. Can Ringrose rediscover his mojo?...a run of games without injury will give him the best chance. Zebo can bring something different to the back three, perhaps Robert Baloucoune can as well, but I reckon our backs just lack a little bit of sparkle at the minute.

But if the forwards dominate, Sexton plays well and stays fit and the backs run hard and defend well then we will win a lot more than we lose this season. Beyond this year as we need to replace Sexton it becomes less certain, but I'm an optimist and have a feeling someone will step up eventually. I've had the pain and pleasure of watching Ireland since the late 80s and certainly since the days of Elwood there has always been concern about who would replace the incumbent out half, and someone ALWAYS comes along.

any yet if a grand slam is so much easier to do why have ireland only done it in 3 times in 111 years?

by that logic we technically have 37 world cups to try to reach the semis to be on par with the rate of difficulty.

you can get to a RWC semi after losing a game. you can get to a RWC semi final after losing 2 games.

you cannot win a GS after losing a game.

the fact we have been absolutely sh!t at trying to reach one is down to many factor, of which one significant one is the draw. You can get hard draws or easy draws.

that variable does not exist with a GS.

so no, 100% do not agree that reaching a RWC semi final is more difficult than wining a GS.

but obviously this is a subjective issue, so ive no problem at all with you thinking it is.

A RWC semi final for us is kind of like what a Premier League title was for Liverpool.

The Champions League is probably harder to achieve (grand slam)

But we've done that and experienced that twice now, but winning a world cup knockout game is something we've never achieved and for us right now winning a knockout game at a RWC would be much sweeter because although it may be easier, it's something we've failed to do at every attempt and finally getting over the line would be very special.

So even though I'd say a GS is harder, if given the choice I'd take a RWC semi-final.

You are asking me why if a GS is so much easier have Ireland only done it 3 times in 111 years?

3 times in 111 years is 3 more times than 0 times.

IMO if we ever get to a RWC semi final the coach that gets us there will have achieved something that no coach before has ever achieved, and it will be the pinnacle of Irish rugby (super fortunate / easy draw permitting).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Getting to a SF can be a harder thing to achieve. It can also be easier. As has already been said, it is all draw dependent. A SF exit from the RWC is, for that reason, no more or less meaningful than a 2nd or 3rd place finish in the 6Ns.

Anyway, you’re focusing on the glib, throwaway remark in the post and ignoring the substantive part. Not falling as far as everyone else is a positive. Being able to maintain a level of consistency that nobody else has been able to achieve is a positive. None of that means opening up the champagne and celebrating, but things don’t have to be so polar. We can find positives in situations that aren’t fully positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So what you’re saying is, as the only top 3 team not to finish outside the top 3 in the last 10 years. We have only performed on par but the other two top 3 teams have performed well below par by finishing outside the top 3? Yet we are doing badly?

Also what’s your metric for us being the third best resourced team in the NH? What puts us ahead of Wales?

Ah c’mon awec.

3 times in 111 attempts.

0 in 9 attempts.

Tbh, even with our record, I’d back us to better our GS record over 111 RWC’s.

Joe Schmidt achieved a number of things that no coach before him ever achieved too. But I don’t think anyone would now swap, say, a Test win VS NZ or a Test win in SA for a GS.

I expect the same will happen once we (eventually) win a QF.

The population of Wales is like the population of Leinster.

We'll say "but GAA..." and they'll say "but soccer...".

The Welsh national side has been overachieving for quite a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Genuine question for all the people who are so critical of Farrell.

Do people think he's unaware that having a 36-year old as your first-choice OH two years out from the RWC is not ideal?

Like, Farrell isn't sticking with an aging, concussion-prone pivot because he wants to. He's doing it because he has no other option. It's not his fault that so many 10s have come, turned out to be shyte, and gone again.

We have Carbery and Byrne in the squad now. Like all younger/inexperienced guys, they need to show that they can step up. Farrell has shown that he'll reward new guys who can deliver. That's what his critics can't (or don't want to) see. If we had someone at 10 who was remotely on the same plane of existence as Sexton, he'd be getting the jersey, but we don't.

As flawed as Carbery is, he's still the best hope. He got two starts in the summer and I would hope he'll get one against Argentina next month too.

Same arguments at scrum-half. I like JGP but he's a million miles off the quality of Murray. Same goes for any of Marmion, Cooney, Blade or McGrath who have rightly been discarded.

He took a lot of flak for persisting with Healy, and here we are on the verge of seeing a Lions tight-head being shifted over to LH and no-one gives a f**k because no one wants to give the guy any credit.

well said.

If Farrell has a younger, viable alternative, he almost always picks them.

When he came into the job, the first things he did was drop Earls for Conway, POM for Doris, Kearney for Larmour and Cronin/Scannell for Kelleher

The very moment Carbery became fit, he started him in both summer games and left Sexton out of the squad. He's had Harry Byrne in the squad since day one.

When people claim that Farrell doesn't have a succession plan for the 10 jersey just show blatant willful ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Rugby is the third biggest game in Ireland. Up till relatively recently it was the most popular game in Wales. We both have 4 professional teams. In terms of the professional game there is little or no difference in resources. The only real difference is the provincial structure in Ireland works better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Saying that Blade, Marmion et al are a million miles off of Murray is a ridiculous statement. I'd have Murray as about the 5th or 6th SH in country currently. He should've been jettisoned a long time ago. The Lions tour was yet another example of how far he has fallen from his previous best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Totally agree with this.

I've no doubt the out half succession situation causes Farrell a lot more stress than any of us given that his livelihood may depend upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Downlinz

You must be talking about some other resources since you can't possibly be suggesting the Welsh regions are as well funded as the provinces?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This summarises nicely the issue with the current discussion.

The guy who was picked for the Lions tour, was briefly tour captain and played in all three tests, is the fifth or sixth best SH behind a load of lads who are Pdecent at Pro14 level and no more?

That's bananas. Madness.

Farrell has done the right thing in casting aside the journeymen so that Casey can get the benefit of being in the squad. I'm optimistic Doak can continue his trajectory and JGP will fade out. Giving more caps to the likes of Marmion or Blade is even worse than giving them to Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Good post.

Forwards at the minute are a match for any pack. Porter moving to LH doesn't worry me as he seems to have the skill level to pack down either side. Who was the last prop we could call on for that? Tom Court anyone?

Second row and back row are stacked with quality and Coombes and Baird haven't even entered the equation yet.

Backs are a slight worry (definitely 10) but the likes of Balacoune and Hume coming through would make me quietly confident that Farrell will have the players at his disposal to form a very competitive team.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

Ridiculous! Marion and Blade are both in top form and that form deserves to be recognised. Remember that Marmion has also played on the wing (more than capably) for a good chunk of a test against the All Blacks.

That's like saying that Sexton should have been dropped six years ago because he was 30.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

And how did he actually perform in said tour? Or for the Irish team in the seasons leading up to it? He has not been good and wouldn't start at any of the other provinces imo. But sure, give him a few games, he's bound to find form eventually.

Advertisement