Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

A friend of mine played there last week(Ballyliffin) and some bunkers were out of play. Would this be a reason why GP scores could not be submitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah, there may well have been local rules in place that made it non-qualifying. And the procedure (as we've since established) is to take the course off the WHS platform so that GP rounds can't be recorded for handicap purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

we could get all the way through the app till you had to pick a tee option and none came up.

thats when i asked about it in the pro shop

no. bunkers were not out of play.

there was however Covid rules in place, with no rakes and allowed for 6 inch placing in the bunkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

OK, there were some out of play on the Old Course alright

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's the bit clubs can switch off. A bit clunky, but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

This kind of comment makes me think that you either don't understand the handicap system, or you're suspicious of everyone. I'm a high handicapper, i have decent length off the tee and am capable of getting a par or even a birdie on any given hole. What's far more likely is that I'll get a double or a scratch. I have scored 36 points exactly once, when i played the best golf of my life and got the only competition birdie I have ever scored. I was thrilled with myself. I have never played as well since. I didn't come within an ass's roar of the prizes and that didn't bother me. If my handicap on the day had matched my actual ability, I'd have had at least ten more points, but I'd have had miserable curmudgeons like yourself making snide comments everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Not sure what your point here is other than ranting, I understand perfectly how the handicapping system works. My point was that it's next to impossible to compete with 30+ handicappers when they have their day. Either have handicap limits or each category enters their own event. I'm not sure if the round you are talking about here was under CONGU or WHS but if your handicap doesn't match your ability then there's a quite easy way to fix that if you understand the new system?

If this was the old boards I’d just quote your last line or so, put a strike through the word ability and stick the word potential there in its place.

FYP 😀

Again, you use the word ability. But what you really want is for someone’s handicap index to match their potential.

I won’t disagree that the system could be tweaked to make some improvements. But if someone has a genuine handicap index with loads of counting rounds, the system is devised to calculate an index to match their shown and proven current ability.

do they have more potential? Maybe, but they haven’t shown it,

what is the easy fix you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd hazard a guess that 6 handicappers shoot level par more often than scratch golfers shooting 6 under. The gap is smaller, but you're talking about the same thing.

I'd also guess that the lower your handicap the more likely you are to shoot level to or slightly better than your handicap. And lots of competitions are won 36 to 39 points. The lower guys win their fair share.

But these are guesses. I could be wrong. As I keep saying, unless anyone actually puts forward some meaningful data we don't really know what we're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

I was bored and did an analysis of the Top 3 in 25 Saturday and Sunday competitions across the summer in my club. The average handicaps for 1st, 2nd and 3rd are 13.5, 11.7 and 12.9 respectively. Out of the 75 (Top 3 * 25 competitions) prize winners, 28 had a handicap less than 10.

It's hard to take a lot from that without knowing the breakdown per competition - i.e. what percentage are single digit vs teens vs 20s handicaps competing. I think it does dispute anyone arguing that single digit handicaps can't win a prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

It's a massive statistical anomaly for a scratch golfer to suddenly shoot 6 under par. This is not the case with a 40-50 hc'er to shoot like 10+ better then their 50 hc. It's possible that simply a new club purchase or arriving at the course 15 minutes earlier than normal will provide all that's needed to improve on their previous scores by the required percentage.

I shot my joint best ever round a few weeks ago of 39pts on my home course. Sadly I would have still needed to find another 7 shots more somewhere out there in that round to actually win. Scoring for the weekend was normal. If my best round in 6-7 years is only good enough to get me within 6 shots of the lead when scoring is normal then there's something up. It was still an exceptional result for me and got me a 2nd best in class prize so I'm happy. Class prizes are the goal for me. If people ever actually get good at golf then there's no hope of winning. Short of redesigning the HC system, class prizes and generous gross prizes are the answer when the sport is one where the best player never wins.

It's a bit more meaningful that "here's a screenshot of a fellas round in the captains in Waterford, he's one of a fella in a Tuesday open in Mayo and here's a monthly medal in Dublin - we need to go back to the old system" type of hysterics you hear sometimes (that's the extreme, most here aren't like that at all). But you're right, you can't take too much from one summer in one club. I think you'd need more like one year in Ireland.

But at a glance it is interesting. If people think the really high handicaps are in the prizes all the time there must be some load of lower handicaps winning to bring the average top three handicap down to 12.7! And as you say, just over 1 3rd of the prize winners were single digit guys. I suspect that would be close to the percentage they make up in the club / comp.

But this is confirmation bias on my part. I'm looking at figures that support my gut feeling. Really I think we all just need to be open to the possibilities that the new system is working very well by and large or that it has created a problem for lower handicap players that didn't previously exist.

🤣 ah here! If you want to beat your handicap by 10 shots or more try arriving 15 minutes earlier or buying a new club?! That's a good one!

I understand that the higher handicaps are more likely to have the really high scores. My brother in law had 39 points recently and won a comp playing off around 29. I believe he came up about 40 yards short of a par 3 green, took a cartoonish bounce and ended up a couple of feet from the hole for birdie. 5 points. If it had bounced into the bunker it could have been a scratch. A couple of shots can literally have a huge swing in the score for these guys.

But everyone understands that the higher handicaps are more likely to have the really big scores and that the lower guys in particular will struggle to compete on those days. I don't think I've seen anyone suggest otherwise. What people are questioning is how likely is it that they can win? And how much has that changed under the new system?

I always think strokeplay is the best way to demonstrate the difference between low and high handicaps. It's generally the low guys that finish well and the high handicaps will blow up when what they would usually have as a scratched hole ends up at 10 or 12 strokes and eats up their handicap in a couple of holes. Stableford is a lot more forgiving in that respect because there's always a couple of three or four pointers and the odd (as above) lucky five pointer on a par 3 that will get them in the points.

But strokeplay is the great leveller. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

How's the handicap review going ? There was some mountain of information sent out by the GUI to assist last week fairplay to them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Have only started into it. There's a seminar next week, so will wait to see if there's more info from that.

Pretty straightforward from what I've looked at so far. Reports available in the portal are useful tools and on first looks, don't really have too much to do. Only anomaly I've seen so far is that there are flags for variations in index upwards and downwards and the number of these should indicate the need for an adjustment. But I've at least one member who has flags on both upward and downward movements in their index both of which cross the threshold for an adjustment.

Which is obviously contradictory. Effectively I should adjust them both upwards and downwards at the same time. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

This information would excite me as there is a few in my club that need sorting out. But unfortunately the biggest culprit that needs sorting is the handicap secretary so unlikely anything will come of this in my club. :(

• Advertisement

The thing is, there is scrutiny over this procedure. You have to make a return to Golf Ireland and the GI system itself flags players for review. So you need to have reasons for not taking any action and those would have to stack up.

The GI portal is a pretty big step over previous systems and it's now clear why GI wanted full control over handicap indexes and handicapping. They have usable data that by default highlights lots of areas of handicapping that previously weren't available.

These are the handicapping reports available to clubs and obviously also available to GI. They're pretty comprehensive:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

That deleted score intents report plus comp vs general play could get spicy fairly quickly for the manipulators I'd imagine. Hopefully this means a lot of awkward conversations or just straight forward adjustments to players handicaps.

The deleted score intents (DSI) report goes along with the unsatisfied score intents (USI) report. You usually get a USI if someone uses the GI app to enter a score and something goes wrong - there have been issues with location services etc. So that report highlights these for the h/cap sec so they can investigate and either complete the score entry process or delete it. Which then appears in the DSI report.

The handicap change report is also a useful one. All the reports can be exported to spreadsheet formats, so that's a useful feature too.

The Comp vs general play will throw up a few questions if its bothered to be ran in our club. one player has entered 4 comps this year in our club, his scores 70/71/77, his last 5 general play scores that i can see 85/86/87/84/86. The 77 he actually said to me before the round ill take it handy today i cant win another comp. Our handicap secretary!!! Strongly considering putting myself forward for the role, or at least to be on the committee. Does the committee have access to these reports also or is it just handicap secretary?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sounds like someone who has the system well sussed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

A committee should also have a handicap committee. In our club it's the h/cap sec, the Captain and the President. The latter two have been previous h/cap secretaries, so that's a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw on. But that's not necessarily the case in all clubs and by rights, that committee should also be a training ground for future h/cap secs.

So yeah, other people on the committee have access to the portal. When I set it up first, I gave access to most of the committee and the pro. The only ones I left out were guys who really didn't have any interest, but if they asked to, I'd absolutely add them.

Because of the nature of the job these days, you do have to be reasonably computer literate. You have your back-end systems like handicap master and golf 2000 and the front-end such as master scoreboard and howdidido etc. plus now the added complication of the GI system and all that goes with that. But if you're familiar with IT systems and web portals, its not exactly rocket science and the software and web systems are easy to use and pretty intuitive.

TL;DR: My advice is go for it. You'll learn a lot and if there is a problem, you won't fix it from outside the tent.

The handicap report with the flags is a good one. The winner of our club singles matchplay is a single figure golfer and he has numerous upward revision flags on his record. If he hadn't won the matchplay, he would probably be getting a 2 shot increase.

He's a good honest golfer though. I'd have no reason to suspect anything untoward.

If you do get involved in the handicaps don't butcher the previous sec in your first year. Plug him for info for a year and then ream him the year after 😀

last week, during the week. I dont know what day, but my handicap sec sent it onto me on Thursday or Friday of last week.

Just to add to the above that they sent out annual review forms and guidance to handicap secretaries last Friday. Forms have to be submitted by the end of November. As I think I mentioned earlier, there's also a webinar on this next week.

• Advertisement

Some scores in this weekend in our 15 hole comp non counting. 1st 42, 2nd 40, 3rd 39. 20 or so players played better than their handicap. I suppose they all just clicked. Weirdly this comp isn't counting but we run open comps that are counting. Can 15 hole comps be counting?

Advertisement