Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Pity the pan covid front (NPHET / RTE / GOVT) didn't look a bit deeper at the daily rate of hospitalisations instead of kicking to touch with passports until February.

Another review in 3 weeks would have been more appropriate. Enforcement and compliance will fall apart after a couple of weeks anyway, same as always.

Another big fat advertising cheque on its way to RTE to promote the latest round of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Think we can expect the numbers to start rising fairly rapidly pretty soon.

I now know of at least four workplaces where outbreaks have been confirmed. All just in Waterford and Wexford.

Did not personally know of this many at one time during any of the previous waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I mentioned this the other day, but in defence of NPHET their latest letter noted that the ideal course of action would have been to hold off until early-mid November to see what happens next.

In the next sentence however they also recognised that a "hold off for 3 more weeks and then we'll review" message would not go down well and could be counter-productive in keeping the public onside. Hence the recommendation that we move ahead with caution; being the lesser of two evils.

NPHET have often been accused of being tone deaf and authoritarian, but if one actually reads the letters, NPHET are far more pragmatic and aware of the public mood than the reporting would give them credit for. Most of the recommendations they make are specifically tailored to what they believe is most likely to be acceptable to the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

Waterford eh?

Waterford city district has State’s highest rate of Covid-19 infections
    County also has highest rate of vaccination take-up in the Republic
    Thu, Oct 21, 2021, 21:30 Updated: Thu, Oct 21, 2021, 22:05 - Irish Times

Today Independent online

Revealed: Your local area’s Covid rate as Waterford City has three times national average

.oh...right so...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Everyone to their own but children are evidentially not at risk from this. To the extent that the majority of them present as asymptomatic.

• Advertisement

"NPHET have often been accused of being tone deaf and authoritarian, but if one actually reads the letters, NPHET are far more pragmatic and aware of the public mood than the reporting would give them credit for. Most of the recommendations they make are specifically tailored to what they believe is most likely to be acceptable to the general public."

This paragraph reads like it was sanctioned by Tony himself, the mask slips every once in a while. And underneath a staunch advocate for NPHET emerges. Far from alone in treating everything you articulate with a large dollop of scepticism, witnessed enough disingenuous shape-shifting this past year and a half to know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, I'm not Tony Holohan, so I'm not sure what mask you're referring to.

Apparently if anyone dares say something about NPHET that's not immediately negative and doesn't accept that NPHET are running a shadow government hell-bent on controlling our lives, then we must be "staunch advocates" of them.

Of course, an absolutist position where you never have to change your mind is a lot easier to maintain than one where you have to examine the facts and react accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I get the frustration with our below par health system lack of ICU beds but does there come a time where we still couldn't countenance 300+ people in ICU without reconsidering some restrictions.

Wifey works part time swabbing for HSE & they've started seeing the first batch of people presenting on the back of personal positive antigen tests. I'd imagine this will affect the overall positivity rate even if some of these over the counter tests are only 50% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think the whole country is frustrated at the below par health system

Everyone and anyone is being blamed for filling ICU beds . This in my opinion is so the HSE dont have look at themselves long and hard and take responsibility for

Nursing unions , Consultants and GPs have been pointing this out for donkeys years and saw this crises looming for years

The population is growing and yet we have below 300 ICU beds for 5 million people . An absolute massive failing on tje HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone know when Revenue decide to open up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

How do you mean?People who have tested positive at home on an antigen and then gone to get a PCR, is it?I definitely know a few who have done that in the last 6-8 weeks, I don't think it is a particularly new thing.

I also know someone who got a positive PCR, then a negative antigen 24 hours later and a negative PCR 48 hours later, oddly.

I see now if you’re in a bar and you want to stay when it turns into a nightclub at, say 11, you have to leave the bar and queue to re-enter. Despite the rules being to avoid queues.

Its mind numbing rubbish like this that pushes more people away and makes a small amount each time disengage with everything. You have to wonder do these people have any form of knowledge of real life. There is zero health benefits to a lot of these rules, rules to be seen to be doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Didnt you hear? Covid loves bars after 11.30, thats why the original curfew was there.

You need to evacuate the bar at 11 so it can turn into nightclub mode, which is totally safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Where does it say you've to leave ? The industry asked the question and have basically been told to figure it out themselves.

The ticketing is silly but you'll find most places won't bother anyone who's already in a late bar, it'll be business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Numbers early today.

1,631 new cases, 503 in hospital down ten, 101 in ICU up 4 and 67 deaths notified in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Letting our kids do as they please now, most of their friends parents are doing likewise . Their mental health is far more important to us than Covid.

Vaccination levels are through the roof and will never be this high again. If not now when?

Government looking to extend pass to those with just one shot.

Considering that you are not considered fully vaccinated until the second shot, are we still sure this is about the vaccines and not about the pass itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Antigen testing alongside vaccinated passes was the only way these premises were going to be open with any semblance of safety during a surge. It really is remiss of government for trying this approach. Even the vinters and nightclub owners, in a rare showing of solidarity, were open to it.

Instead, they have gone with ridiculous, unworkable rules, which wont be enforced anyway. It's like the 9 euro meal nonsense all over again, who comes up wit this ****?

They cant decide to either, bury their heads in the sand, or, run around like headless chickens.

A shambles. Feels very much like a meaningful Christmas again, only earlier, and starting from a much higher base line.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It stopped being about public health some time ago. Tickets to get into nightclubs and late venues has fuk all to do with public health. If it did we would need tickets to get into any indoor setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Advertisement

Who knows, but Varadkar saying they are looking at extending the cert to certain unvaccinated people is pure nonsense. We'll have certain unvaccinated people being potentially treated differently and treated as if they are vaccinated. Makes zero sense. Also tickets for indoors late venues make little sense - what's the public health reasoning for it there but not elsewhere?

Well we've had Unvaccinated in places already.

People who have recovered can get a cert valid for 6 months. Vardakar talking about giving the cert to certain unvaxxed people. Why is it safe for these unvaxxed people to have a cert and mingle indoors etc but not others?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

How would that work though for a nightclub - a test taken in previous 72 hours (pointless really?) or a test at the nightclub - 100's of people getting swabbed (by who), and hanging around waiting for results (from who)? Maybe I am not understanding this antigen thing in terms of how it works?

Yep unvaccinated can already if recovered.

Well it's not black and white I guess.

The first jab gives some level of protection doesn't it? So I guess that's what makes it safer.. Id say that's what it is maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

The implication being that one dose is enough to be considered vaccinated so why was a second dose needed if Varadkar and Co can turn around and say, actually 1 was enough?

Article has been updated. Looks like boosters are going to be rolled out to a larger group of people. References to Israel and their successes. References to vaccine being very limited in preventing transmission.

Is it possible that we will follow the Israel route and throw the two shot people back out into the cold with the no shot people.

If the vaccine is not preventing transmission, then surely the passes are redundant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

A 24 hour antigen pass, similar to what other european countries do. Set up self testing supervised tents all over the city. Result goes to your phone 15 minutes later.

• Advertisement

Advertisement