Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jones might start tomorrow with Henderson, Fab & Naby to start the weekend,

I also reckon Jota will play & Mane will replace him the weekend,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

The third goal is my favourite example, it was so well orchestrated. The game highlights don't do it justice at all. The build up started when Rashford scuffed a shot at goal and Alisson claimed the ball, 35:39 was the time on the clock.

Alisson threw the ball out to Keita wide on the right and every Liverpool player got a touch of the ball. They passed the ball back and forth across the pitch, playing Man Utd like an accordian. They were repeatedly compressed and expanded across the width of the pitch and also between the halfway line and the edge of their 18 yard box.

36:07 - It's the Keita and Salah show on the right wing.

36:17 - Jota has it on the left.

36:30 - The ball is back on the right wing.

36:41 - It's on the left wing with Robertson.

37:03 - The ball is back on the right and Man Utd have lost their shape.

That leads to the moment that Konate tries to play a through pass for Salah. Maguire gets to the ball and lumps it to the half way line.

37:19 - The pressure builds again as the ball goes out to the right.

37:27 - It's go time because the Man Utd defenders never reset.

37:29 - Salah's shot cannons off of Maguire and breaks for Keita to run on to.

37:31 - Try to spot the ball on its way to the back of the net!

That was a true team goal and definitely something that has been coached. Maguire was their only player to get a meaningful touch when he put a foot to Konate's attempted through pass for Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Enjoying @Talisman and @yourdeadwright analysis. Very in depth. Only thing missing is Osmosis gifs of the goals to cap it all off. Has he left boards ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I couldn't stop laughing at Fred and Konate during the scuffle after Ronaldo kicked jones. Fred tries to grab and couldn't move him an inch, absolute unit.

This picture sums up the shape i was talking about ,

Look at Jones wide left, Hendo central alone ,Naby wide right,

McTomminay, Fred, Bruno Greenwood & Another (not sure who that is left for United ) all inside Jones & Naby we completely by passed the centre of the pitch in front of there two Dm's & they obviously drilled securing that area,

You can see Robbo ( i presume Trent was the same on the right) tucked in just encase they win it to stop the counter,)

Interesting to see Lindelöf following Jones leaving Maguire one on one with Bobby which is a disaster giving how good Bobby is with the ball into his feet and how much space is to Maguire side for runners , Mo is a little wider in that pic than he was for the majority of the first half,

Konate is a beast. Complete mismatch. The amusement in his face is priceless.

I think that was part of the tactical change they made after the injury to Milner.

I felt sorry for Lindelof. Wan-Bisaka looked like he had been assigned the job of shackling Robertson and ignored any other defensive responsibility.

Look at the build up to the first goal from this replay angle. Wan-Bisaka is in no-mans land facing Robertson.

Robertson dinks the ball past him to Jota. Lindelof closes down and Jota plays the ball inside for Firmino.

Firmino releases Salah and then it's Luke Shaw versus the world.

To add insult to injury, the Man Utd defenders and midfielders were embarrassed by the referee better keeping pace with the play.

Wan-Bisaka showed no interest in anyone but Robertson in the build up to the second goal. Robertson was his man but he didn't get anywhere near him.

Look at his starting position when the ball is played to Robertson.

It was no surprise that he didn't get anywhere near Robertson before he had time to cross the ball.

Shaw and Maguire have their calamity moment, but look at the distance that Trent has yet to cover. Also take note of Milner's position and the fact that Wan-Bisaka isn't even in the frame.

When Trent plays the ball across the box for either Jota or Milner to score, Wan-Bisaka still hasn't made it back into the 18 yard box. Milner seemed like he had the pace of Usain Bolt relative to the Man Utd players when he sprinted into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I am not going to pretend that I came up with this myself, but the reason why they were out of their shape was our movement and the fact their front 4 do not press and if they do they do it poorly. This means it is easy for our defense to play out from the back and the fact they are a font 4 effectively, with Bruno joining the front men, leaves Fred and McTominay with huge areas to cover. So there is space for Robertson, which means Wan-Bisaka needs to come out to meet him. This forces Lindelof to go into the space now left vacant because Jota moves into that space. This forces Maguire to move over to occupy the space left by Lindelof, which forces Shaw to move over and then you have Salah and Keita with acres of space on the right.

We pulled United out of position by our movement but also their setup as their front 4 meant there was no pressure and it left too much space for our players to work in. This is all explained in the video below and the posts above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epygwgr_x0Q&ab_channel=TifoIRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,493 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jefferson Lerma would be a body, we need a few bodies in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Elliott enjoying the game.

• Advertisement

The Naby goal is embarrassing as you can see in the first picture , there are 4 United players closer to there goal then the ref,

Then in the second picture as he scores there is only 3 in front of the ref, So not only has nobody passed him he in fact passed a United player & made up about 10 yards on Maguire ,,

Most PL assists provided by defenders - Robertson and Alexander-Arnold are both in the top 6. 😍

They could be the top two by the end of the season. 😂

FSG and Edwards holding off on the Salah contract to see what kind of offers they get for him?

Then if the get offers that would tempt them they could use it to fund the next generation.

Or is Edwards stalling on the deal so he can take Salah to Newcastle with him 😉

I see we have given Seep Van Den Berg permission to play tonight,

Not sure how i feel about that but there you have it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Well he was sent on loan to get minutes, and what minutes are better than minutes against your parent club!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

There was a surprising lack of awe at what we did on Sunday. It's all basically been "United were that bad and Liverpool didn't even play that well."

I've seen that take everywhere from fans, to lads on YouTube and even the Guardian.

It's a shocking level of disrespect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

kids will play tonight,minamino and divock senior men

I think be more than kids,

Adrian , Gomez , Tsimakas, Ox, Minamino, Origi , one of the other senor CB's ,

Possibly one of Mane or Jota,

That's 7 or 8 senior players ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Doesn't he play RWB for them (he must have gotten a lot quicker!)? Poor lad could end up having Tsimikas and Mane running him ragged as I wouldn't be shocked if Mane gets some game tonight.

Adrian

Williams - Gomez - Konate - Tsimikas

Ox - Morton - ???

Minamino - Origi - ???

Two kids to take the free spots or could he throw in Mane? Minamino could play left also. Don't know anything about what kids are available/who's next to take the step up but overall it'll be a decent side for taking on a bottom half Championship team.

• Advertisement

Could Jones play ? The weekend will likely be Fab , Hendo ,Naby

Then one of Jota or Mane who ever is not starting the weekend ,

Jones could and he hasn't played a lot so would not be surprised if he's in. All depends on how the injured guys are getting on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

No reason Kaide Gordon shouldn’t be starting this evening, and maybe Clarkson will come into the midfield as well, if Henderson is being rested. Polish Messi should get some minutes off the bench too, but maybe they’ll surprise us all and give him a start. 🙂

EDIT: Just read that Gordon is injured, so he won’t be featuring after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,493 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think the stalling on Salah's contract is to do with the length of it, same as Gini's . Salah's runs out in June 2023, at age 31 . Is he looking for a new 5 year deal, to 2028, to age 36?

I think Liverpool would be happy to extend his contract today to 2025, with increased wages, basically to push the problem down the line.

Clarkson is on loan at Blackburn for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A new 5 year contract would run from the time the contract is signed, not from the end of the previous one. The remainder of the previous one is overwritten by the new one, with his increased wages and terms coming into immediate effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some talk that Harvey Blair might get a start tonight.

To be honest, if it was up to me, I'd take the risk and start Jones. He played 70 odd minutes at the weekend so he is fit enough to play. Fabinho & Hendo are fit. Thiago is coming back soon and then Ox too. Ox might start too. Drive into form, he needs to improve on his last league cup outing and be more like his last champions League & premier League outings. Maybe there was a bit of 'i'm too good for this last time out'. Needs cut that out, if it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m having a bit of a mare here.

Next thing you’ll be telling me Dani Pacheco won’t be available for selection tonight either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I'd be starting Ox tonight, he'd be the one who's most in need of a start from the squad.

Adrian has to start due to kellehers injury.

Williams, Konate and Tsimakas should be nailed on starters at the back.

Taki and Origi should be nailed on too.

If any of Ox, Tsimikas, Taki or Origi don't start then they should be looking to move on in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Harvey Blair starts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

• Advertisement

Looks a fun starting 11 to watch anyway. Hopefully Ox can last the 90, if he comes off, our midfield's gonna start looking very very young!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Big night for Van Den Berg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Tsimikas man of the match prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭FluffPiece

Who's captain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Anyone know Dixon-Bonner's background? With a name like that you'd think there might be some Irish in him, but google doesn't turn anything up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Hopefully can go a few goals up and Phillips replaces Matip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Quiet in here.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Unreal save from Adrian there.

Brutal performance so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

lots of possession but getting battered on the counter.... PNE should be up at least one...

• Advertisement

Adrian keeping us in the game!

Great goal line clearance from Williams although I don't think he knew much about it! 😂

It's one of those games where you can really tell there's been 11 changes to the team.. some decent individual moments, but quite disjointed (understandably) as a team.

Preston really defending in numbers killing the space for passes to Origi and then breaking on the counter. Gomez has been caught a few times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bit of a snore fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Yawn. Should be behind. Poor, very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

All a bit crap. Jones and Williams they only ones doing anything of note.

Which means Bobby and Jota will see minutes in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Really poor first half. Front three not really involved and done nothing when they have been. Ox has been okay, couple of nice runs. Forgot Morton was playing til 42 minutes in, game has bypassed him. Can only get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Does the selection of Matip suggest that Konate has passed him out as first choice CB? Disappointed to see Phillips not featuring, if he wasn't going to feature in a game like this why keep him on-seems a strange one.

Poor performance in the first half, very laxidaisy in attack, the 4 more senior players in attack/midfield have been anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah, Gomez has been poor. For one of their chances he attempted to play offside after he lost the ball even though there were 2 Liverpool players about 10/15 yards behind him. He'd completely lost his bearings.

• Advertisement

The euphoria from the weekend would make you forget, most teams are not only coached but work hard too!

Advertisement