Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No, there won't be another full lockdown again, simply because it would be hard to justify.

We have 92% of adults vaccinated and a lot of the over12s too. That's what they told us we had to do to get back to a relatively normal society again, so if they now lock us down when so many are vaccinated, it means we really are hammered and can't win against this virus.

They can of course keep certain restrictionsin place or limit numbers, ask us to keep wearing masks etc, but we aren't going back to 5km from home etc. It would be political suicide.

Might just have to live with the numbers and deaths unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,187 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It wouldn't be justified with the current projections. If the reality changes and deaths go up, then the public would back more restrictions/lockdown*. It depends on how high hospitalisations and deaths go. Infection rates are less relevant now because the Vaccine makes it less likely to cause death. But the absolute death and hospitalisation rates will dictate whether we need further restrictions or even a lockdown.

*Not sure how we define a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I don't think the public would buy in as easy as you think to a further lockdown, regardless of deaths or hospitalisations. The health service had plenty of time to upgrade and increase capacity, the vaccination program captured 90% plus - it's unfortunate if the deaths and admissions are increasing at this point but there won't be any going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

No there won't be another lock down, it wouldn't do any good. Nothing has reduced the numbers below 300 a day this year once you open up again the numbers will go back up. This is only an problem because the government hoped it would go away so they didn't build hospital and ICU capacity, which is now a huge problem.

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/cases/

We need to get booster shots into hospitals and old folks then into the general population ASAP

Ah, no matter how high the death rate goes? I don't think you've thought about what you said there. I think there would certainly be a point where enough people would support severe restrictions. I also think it could include the trajectory. A steep spike in deaths might cause greater change in public opinion then a slow and steady increase.

Under the current projections there wouldn't be any justification or support for lockdown. We'll just have to see how things work out in reality

I think they would accept progressive restrictions without the death rates going wildly high. I'm still not sure what the definition of lockdown is and I doubt we're all talking about the same thing when we use the term.

• Advertisement

I'm going to sound brutally cold here but at this point, I really don't care about that whole angle anymore. I've done my part, done everything that was asked including vaccination and I'm not putting my life on hold any longer because "someone" might die.

I don't see point of locking down.

Say we do lockdown again, all start WFH, limiting travel, no pubs etc.....then what? We have nothing in our armoury to do that would make opening up again safer.

We have done all we can, the numbers ate simply rising because people are out there mixing, working, drinking etc. They'll simply do it again on any more reopening, so we'll end up back where we are now.

Vaccinations were the silver bullet. We have mostly got them now, time to just live again. No other way round it.

Well, lockdown would reduce transmissions which lead to deaths. You acknowledge as much when you say "once you open up again the numbers will go back up". But with the vaccinated population, 300 transmissions a day isn't a reason for a lockdown* or severe restrictions. The transmission number isn't very important, the death and hospitalisation numbers are much more important.

*Not sure what the definition of a lockdown is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

But I guess those things you suggest are in our armoury, i.e. WFH like you say. So if massive pressure does come on the health system they can start to use those things to dial it back.

We could function openedup, as long as people still were careful.

But i think the problem is that too many are behaving as if covid doesnt exist any more.

• Advertisement

The thing is that “fear” that people had when it was first here will never be back (thank ****), we understand it way more now and people aren’t as bothered. We did nearly 18 months so if people have stopped caring that’s totally understandable too. We just have to open, stay open and get on with it.

Yep and we could have kept pubs/restaurants open previously IMO except people had to go meet as many people as they could :)

We don't help ourselves. And the attitude that I've done my bit so now I'm done with it is so odd.

Why’s it odd? What do you want to people to act like at this point - oh we can never allow anyone to die ever again?

haha no I don't want that. Maybe you responded to the wrong post.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Yes but it will make little difference and when people realise PUP is gone and they have to sign on for 200 euro a week it will get ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

People just have to except that loved one's will catch it and die that's the cold hard truth. Nobody wants that but there is no other option now.

I keep hearing that people will not accept another lockdown. Of course they will, they have to as the place will be locked down. What are they going to do about it?

I think that it will be locked down just after the Ireland v Portugal game. I'm not saying that is a cause, but people will have an event to enjoy and have some Xmas shopping money spent before lock down.

Don’t have to - simple as that. All they can do is restrict capacity, maybe at worst close some places? Stopping people 5km from their homes again? Hahaha nope

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

I agree in general, with any restrictions introduced henceforth just to ease the hospital burden rather than clear it. That said, it depends also on the relative merits of mRNA boosters, 5-12 years mRNA vaccines, and new technologies such as nasal sprays for breaking transmission which might change the game. There were also patents out there for detectors registering Covid in a room of say schoolchildren or an office / factory, but that is out of public view at the moment. It may be that cases peak this week or next and then decline to around an average of 2k per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Thanks to our idiot government and piss poor health system, why wouldn't you get your fun in now while you still can?

That was some of the reason for the Christmas spike, we were talking about increasing restrictions after Christmas before they eased them before Christmas 😅

• Advertisement

People are acting as if the whole thing is over. Every shop i was in last weekend had absolutely no social distancing at tills, people were on top of each other nearly more than pre pandemic.

I laughed when I heard about all the table service talk, I was in cork city centre about 4 weekends back and it all order drinks at the bar and no social distancing, wasn't asked once for a vaccine cert.

If there's another lockdown it's cos pubs and people in general have been ignoring the rules, whether you agree with the rules or not its probably definitely contributed to the rise in numbers.

Even dunnes removed the entry and exits months back which without a pandemic actually makes sense, now you have people coming straight at you again as you enter the shops

What a sad view to have - people living their lives are to blame for another lockdown? If you’re scared of it don’t go out, if you are concerned about other people in a shop the same time as you - leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2 words for everyone on this island

'PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY'

Let us live our lives

Media love Tony and NPHET and by god they are campaigning for another lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It not a "view". Its how things are spread.

If the numbers rise and the hospitals can't cope there is no one else to blame except ourselves.

I wouldn't say that. But it would be good if people behaved according to the reality that if hospitalisations and deaths get too high then there's a great chance that we'll see the reimposition of progressively harsh restrictions over the winter. That's all.

Think you might be overestimating the reach of the Covid forum on Boards ha

If the health service can’t cope then blame the health service - we’ve been fed lie after lie about how they were getting extra funding to increase capacity the last 18 months and here we are with April 2020 slogans about stopping them being “overwhelmed”. Sorry, but it’s sink or swim time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jigglypuffz

Well, I'm just curious because I've a lovely, affordable flat that would be comfortable to lock down in. I'm thinking of giving it up to live in a mouldy, expensive kip, for the sake of being closer to university. Out of the four months I've been looking for accommodation, it's the only place that will let to me. If lockdown is going to happen, might as well stay where I am and relish in online learning. It would be unfortunate to lockdown in that disgusting flat near uni.

I think online learning should be an option even when there isn't a pandemic, given the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭Tow

Hopefully the second generation vaccines will be approved soon, in time for most people's boosters. This should bring their efficacy back up. Not withholding another variant...

The government cannot afford PUP at the 350 per week level, one of the highest in the world, if not the highest. EWSS is due to end at on the 30 April 2022. At some stage the plug is going to be pulled.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

We're In the personal responsibility phase, you seem to have confused it with no rules.....

Interesting campaign.....

CMO hopeful not to recommend more restrictions

Dr Holohan said he is hopeful that the current infection rate will slow down if people continue to follow public health advice and the basic hygiene steps that we have grown so accustomed to since the beginning of the pandemic.

He said that it is "growing at a rate that is concerning" but that it is not too late to turn a corner.

When asked if there would be a "circuit-breaker" needed, such as another lockdown or increased restrictions, Dr Holohan said they hope they do not have to enter into conversations about recommending further measures.

Advertisement