Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cops digging on Kildare/Wicklow border site

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I think it was mentioned that they were using dogs: (can't remember where I read that...)

-- but dogs are sort of ambiguous...even if they don't Alert, it doesn't necessarily mean there's nothing there. And even if they DO, it may not be useful as evidence.

However - a year or two ago, there was an upswing of Garda interest in quarries, around the Kildare/Wicklow area: and apparently connected with the Deirdre Jacob investigation. So your comment may go very close to the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

If LM is still being watched by police and they think he did murder Deirdre, I imagine they would have had a good idea in advance If the dig would yield any success by his behaviour after the news of the new search became public.

My heart goes out to the families.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Its already been long established that most of the cases involve different killers. Murphy is a serious suspect only in the case of Sarah Jacob and to a lesser extent Jo Jo Dollard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

exactly. I think many people still think or it's actually held like this in the media, that LM is the main suspect of all the girls (about 7) in this so called vanishing triangle. but if you read the book from this Alain Baley it gets pretty clear he's, as you wrote, 'only' a suspect in this two cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Yeah, I was mostly commenting on the media's obsession with Murphy. Which obviously does drive a significant amount of the public focus on him.

We seem to assume when women go missing, that they were the victim of a predator. And like I said, we prefer the idea of one horrible person rather than lots of perhaps random individual killers.

Obviously women are more likely to be the victim of a predator. But when you look at the huge scale of missing people in the country in general, by far the most likely reason is suicide in most cases regardless of gender. There is a large amount of men who disappear without any trace in the country too, just like these women. But statistically, women are actually more likely to suffer from suicidal thoughts.

Either way, it's always very sad when these digs turn up nothing useful. Sad for the families, but also for the prospect of future investigations. These digs take huge man power and resources. Most police forces do not have adequate resources to allocate to every missing person case. So they have to make educated assumptions on which cases deserve more resources. But it's still very much guess work. It's very possible that many of these missing women are not linked, and very possible that they could be suicides.

Post edited by Shao Kahn on

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement

I'm not familiar with every missing person case in Ireland, but the theory that many missing people are cases of suicide is just bonkers. why and how! should a person who commits suicide prepare their death so their body is vanishing from the earth? should they dig themselves in the bog after being dead? even if you drown yourself with something heavy attached, chances you show up after not so long are very high. anyway...

and if you read the book from Alain Bailey about the girls from the vanishing triangle there's not one where's even slightly considered to be a suicide..

I agree: with the possible exception of one intriguing case...the disappearance of Eva Brennan in 1993, just a few months after Annie McCarrick had vanished. I really DID wonder why her case is never included in the list of mysterious disppearances! (Bailey barely mentions it in the book)

Alays thought it had been dismissed as a suicide since the poor lady suffered from depression - but it still doesn't explain why she vanished so completely that no trace of her has ever been found! Suicides don't normally arrange to disappear their own bodies, as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That is also questioned here, and includes Marilyn Rynn, who's body was found and David Lawler pleaded guilty to murder.

and there we are indeed back to LM in a way..David Lawler is the cousin of LM. Quite disturbing I think, two of them in the same family...

Ye gods, that is really creepy. Coincidence? Or genetics?

Edited to remove gratuitous remark, apologies.

• Advertisement

Were they cousins or just went to the same school/year?

I remember reading a long time back that the two were connected, but I could be mixing up the stories with other things.

It seems they were both?

Christ, it would make you wonder how many assaults and murders the two had committed before they were caught. And when did they start.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/979455/shocking-documentary-shows-how-rapist-became-first-ever-in-ireland-to-be-caught-by-dna/ media says they are cousins. ok, it's the sun, but that article above says it also.

edit: ah, didn't see you were the same poster asking the question and posting the link..so you also answered it yourself..😂

Post edited by tara73 on

Advertisement