Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we in Ireland be concerned about Jihad?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not a scholarly demographic source is wiki, but I am too busy to do the research at the moment. Given this caution, the 2016 census shows 84.6 percent of the population claiming Christian (obviously and mostly Irish Catholic), and only 1.3 percent Muslim. At first blush this tiny percentage in and of itself does not appear to be grounds for a significant population shift by religious orientation any time soon.

Certainly, given the the problematic and recent nature of terrorist fringe groups in the EU, the Irish defense forces should be preparing for the worst while we hope for the best. Plus the Christian community should work with the small Muslim community to reduce the likelihood of a fringe terrorist group getting any traction within Eire. It is certainly not in the Muslim best interests to have a tragic event happen in Ireland.

Anecdotally speaking, if past boards posts reflect Irish feelings about religious based problems occurring in one historic conflict hotspot (Palestine), many Irish have expressed a concern for the plight of those mostly Muslim people. It would not be in the best interests of fringe terrorist groups to strike Ireland accordingly.

There will always be martyrs for any extremist movement, unfortunately.

I'm sure the hunger strikers in northern Ireland did more harm then good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭buried

The likes of Islamic State have absolutely no regard for any entity that shows allegiance to the plight of the people of Palestine. For example, they have been at war with Hezbollah for well over a decade now in Syria. They have no concept of any sort of 'best interest' in the vein of some sort of geopolitical public relations exercise, the only interest IS has is the implementation of total worldwide Armageddon. An attack on a fairly innocuous and well looked upon western cultural nation would in fact, bolster that apocalyptic interest that they are brainwashed to implement.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

For somebody that proclaims "they are dealing with terrorism everyday", you only seem to have a concern with extreme terrorism that existed on this island decades ago. Those days are long gone. The likes of Muammar Gaddafi shipping countless boatloads of weaponry from Libya into here every year are long gone, and so are the weapons. You'd be far better off dealing with what is actually going on now, instead of looking back on what should have been done decades ago.

They are not gone, unfortunately.

There are still different types of terrorism in Ireland. Yes extreme Islamic terrorism is one, but not the only one.

• Advertisement

Well educate us then and clarify. What are the other extremist ones we need to be concerned about, what are their capability, their tactics, their ideologies and what support networks do they have?

I never suggested you need to be concerned about them. There are organisations who do the watching for you.

I don't believe anyone needs to be overly concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Not budging on what.

What position did I hold that I am not budging on. What evidence did you present to change my position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

OK, here's an example of the Saudi Arabian attitude to women's rights campaigners... https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/saudi-arabia-seeks-unprecedented-death-penalty-woman-activist-n902771

Some footage of the Islamic religious police at work in Saudi Arabia... (you'll need to confirm your age on youtube for this one)..... https://youtu.be/w_wBDdthYN4

13 countries where being gay is punishable by death (shhh, they're all Muslim countries)... https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/06/14/countries-where-being-gay-is-legally-punishable-by-death/39574685/

A handy map taken from Wikipedia showing where homosexuality is illegal and what the consequences are for being gay. Most Islamic countries will only put you in prison for being gay(phew) but some will kill you for it. The Taliban during their previous period ruling Afghanistan used to put gay people into pits and drop large stones on them to kill them,anyway here's the map...

Looking forward to your reply.

Not to get into your game of pestering for answers but I had asked:

What position did I hold that I am not budging on. What evidence did you present to change my position?

I'm really not sure how this answers any of that but anyway.

Do you want to talk about Saudi Arabia, why not create a thread about how you don't like the country?

What does any of the above have to do with Jihad in Ireland, does the legality of homosexuality in other countries mean Ireland is more or less likely to be the victim of a Jihad attack?

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

I said that you weren't budging on answering the question of what your opinion was on the treatment of women and the LGBTQ community within the Islamic belief system.

The purest representation of how that is played out occurs in Saudi Arabia. Muslims in Ireland cannot punish women or LGBTQ people as Sharia law would dictate in Islamic countries like Saudi Arabia because they are living in this country abiding by our legal system. Although if we look at the UK there have been groups advocating for the introduction of Sharia Law in that jurisdiction.

Ultimately Robbie, I think you know full well that the treatment of women and the LGBTQ community within Islam is a disgrace.

You are tying yourself up in knots to avoid addressing that fact for some unknown reason.

Maybe you think I'm raising these issues because you think I'm prejudiced against Muslims or that I'm using it as a smokescreen for some racist views you feel I hold. None of which could be further from the truth.

I don't want to discriminate against anyone's belief system nor will I ever have problem with people based on their ethnicity or nationality. What I do take issue with is seeing people being persecuted for any reason, in this case it's their gender or sexual orientation, that isn't good enough.

I gave you evidence Robbie, nothing is good enough for you. In the end you're not engaging here in good faith, you have had all your requests adhered to and you're still not happy. That's your problem.

I'll pose the question in a slightly different way... Removing the connection to Islam...

Do you, RobbieTheRobber believe that women and LGBTQ people deserve to be treated as second class citizens in any setting?

I have addressed the issues of Jihad terrorism on this thread. The discussion I'm engaged in with you is relevant to the attitudes that result in those attacks as it gives an understanding of the mindset of radical Islam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,623 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Jesus man are you STILL banging this drum and comparing Ireland to Saudi because ...... well fùck knows why because you won't tell anyone!

I'll just pick apart one part of that rant

"What I do take issue with is seeing people being persecuted for any reason, in this case it's their gender or sexual orientation, that isn't good enough."

How many Muslims have attacked LGBTQ people in Ireland?

How many non Muslim people have attacked LGBTQ people in Ireland?

You're more likely to get slapped outside the George for being gay by some pissed up scrote than a Muslim but this doesn't fit your agenda.

Show one post of yours from over the years where you have been so passionate about attacks on people due to thier gender or sexual orientation by white Christian males in Ireland and then I'll believe you don't prejudice or discriminate against Muslims.

°°°°°

I never compared Ireland to Saudi Arabia. So if your argument is based on that assumption you're miles off the mark.

Again, we're discussing the attitudes towards women and LGBTQ people within the Islamic faith, Saudi is the de facto centre of the Muslim world so it's relevant to this topic.

I don't need to have posted at length over the years about other issues to satisfy your requirements to post on this topic.

For the record I'm against all discrimination. Any attacks on anyone offend me.

If you think I'm prejudice against Muslims or I'm discriminating against them, prove it. And please show me what my "agenda" is while you're at it. I'm assuming you have iron clad proof that I have an agenda so post it here for all to see please.

And for the sake of clarity, do you think that the treatment of women and the LGBTQ community within the Islamic belief system is OK?

Do you believe that women and LGBTQ people deserve to be treated as second class citizens in any setting?

You literally compare Ireland with Saudi Arabia in the post I replied to!

"Muslims in Ireland cannot punish women or LGBTQ people as Sharia law would dictate in Islamic countries like Saudi Arabia"

But yeah, no agenda here at all 🙄

°°°°°

I was showing that there is a clear difference between the two countries.

What is my agenda?

Spell it out in plain language.

°°°°°

No they do not.

Can you answer the same question please? I did put that question to you first.

I think everyone is aware of the massive difference between Ireland and Saudi Arabia.

but what does that have to do with jihad in Ireland?

Of course they are different, Ireland is different to every country on the planet because every country is different in thier own unique ways yet you continue to compare Ireland with Saudi Arabia.

Why not make comparison to Russia, Poland, Hungary or many of the other Eastern European countries that have terrible laws and treatment of LGBQT people?

°°°°°

Jihad as we know it today is informed by Wahhabism, which originated in Saudi Arabia, a country ruled by the house of Saud who are rich because of their Oil reserves, they themselves know that if they clamped down on Islamic fundamentalism they wouldn't be in power for very long.

Saudi Arabia is extremely relevant to any discussion of jihad, anywhere in the world.

But then you deal with terrorism every day of the week do you already knew that.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

I'm against anyone discriminating against anyone in any setting. We are talking about jihad and by extension Islam here.

Again, tell me clearly what my agenda is please.

I think your agenda is clear for all who read your posts.

°°°°°

Then explain it clearly.

I ask, because I don't have an agenda.

You are just attempting to goad me into an angry response.

So again, tell me, and everyone else what my agenda is. Please.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,115 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drop all this "agenda" stuff. Stick to discussing the topic which is Jihad in Ireland, not Russia, Poland, Hungary or other European countries

What does lgtbq+ have to do with the topic? Which is jihad in Ireland.

Coolaboola, I'm presuming he can drop all the Saudi Arabia treats women bad stuff too seeing as this is about Jihad in Ireland.

°°°°°

In the opening pages of this thread Timberrrrrrrr was suggesting that Islam should not be judged too harshly in light of the fact that other religions have committed various atrocities throughout history.

I called this out as being a cop out, based on the logic that two wrongs don't make a right.

RobbieTheRobber decided to defend the position Timberrrrrrrr took, and erroneously stated that the point had not been made on the thread.

I cited the fact that there are "unfortunate" practices relating to the treatment of women and the LGBTQ community within Islam, RobbieTheRobber would not address that point and began to become abusive towards me.

How Saudi Arabia became part of the discussion is based upon the fact that the modern interpretation of Jihad as we know it in the post 9/11 world has been solely disseminated from Wahhabism which originates in Saudi Arabia.

If we were to suffer a Jihadi terrorist attack in Ireland the ideology that lead to such an event could be traced directly back to Saudi Arabia, which is a strictly Islamic country with a litany of human rights abuses to its name.

I did labor this point, but only in response to the abusive responses I received from other posters.

I think we can all agree that treating anyone in any way differently because of their gender or sexual orientation is abhorrent, however some people will not call it out when it's associated with Islam because they see Muslims as a minority group who must be protected from scrutiny.

To clarify, scrutinizing certain behaviors in Saudi Arabia is not the same as being prejudiced against Muslim people as a whole. I do not for one second believe all Muslims agree on anything as a group particularly this issue, but the fact remains that these practices occur and they are wrong on every level.

I feel that I was being characterised as being prejudiced against Muslims. That's not true and I resent the accusation that I am.

Surely we can be nuanced enough in our views to make the distinction between criticism of one aspect of Islamic belief and pure hatred of all Muslims?

For example, do we honestly believe that if someone is critical of the state Israel for their treatment of the Palestinian people that they are by default Antisemitic?

RobbieTheRobber would not address that point and began to become abusive towards me.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

What point?

For example, do we honestly believe that if someone is critical of the state Israel for their treatment of the Palestinian people that they are by default Antisemitic?

Im not clear on what your point is here but it might actually help illustrate mine.

If you are critical of the actions of the State of israel and criticise the state of israel then no you are not automatically Antisemitic

But

If you are critical of the state of Israel and criticise the jews or the Jewish religion then you are Antisemitic.

Similarly if you are critical of the actions of Saudi Arabia and you criticise saudi arabia that would be fine but when you criticise islam or the Muslims that's not ok.

°°°°°

The problem with your interpretation of my criticism of Saudi Arabia and by extension my criticism of Islam is the fact that whilst you are fine with criticism of Saudi Arabia's human rights violations (I'm assuming that you meant that) you are ignoring the fact that those very human rights violations are themselves informed by Islamic doctrine.

You are appropriating my criticism of Islam as hatred of Muslims which is not the case.

I am critical of the catholic church but that doesn't translate into hatred of all catholics.

There is a yawning chasm of distinction that you seem intent on ignoring, not to mention the fact that you are burdening me with the weight of assumed bigotry which I have consistently denied and offered detailed explanations above and beyond what could be considered reasonable.

I have provided you with evidence of what I have been speaking about as requested, explained my point of view in detail and you haven't even been willing to answer one simple question.

You're position as I see it is to undermine anything I say by associating it and by extension me with bigotry, intolerance and hatred which is a stance which is demonstrably ridiculous.

• Advertisement

The problem with your interpretation of my criticism of Saudi Arabia and by extension my criticism of Islam is the fact that whilst you are fine with criticism of Saudi Arabia's human rights violations (I'm assuming that you meant that) you are ignoring the fact that those very human rights violations are themselves informed by Islamic doctrine.

You mean Saudi Arabian interpretation of islamic doctrine.

You are appropriating my criticism of Islam as hatred of Muslims which is not the case.

Do you think it would it be fair to call you Islamophobic based on your own admittance that you believe the Islamic faith is guilty as a concept for the hate and violence perpetuated by some of its adherents?

Islamophobia is the fear of, hatred of, or prejudice against the religion of Islam or Muslims in general, especially when seen as a geopolitical force or a source of terrorism.

I am critical of the catholic church but that doesn't translate into hatred of all catholics.

Do you think Catholicism as a concept is guilty for the crimes of child abuse both physical and sexual perpetuated by its adherents. Especially considering the part that church hierarchy played in allowing such to happen through its non reporting and moving of individuals and other acts to avoid prosecution\detection for the accused of such acts.

Do you consider Catholicism a religion of child abusers?

There is a yawning chasm of distinction that you seem intent on ignoring, not to mention the fact that you are burdening me with the weight of assumed bigotry which I have consistently denied and offered detailed explanations above and beyond what could be considered reasonable.

I'm ignoring nothing. I'm discussing this matter with you. I have offered no defence for any act of violence or hate committed by any individual or state. You have provided your opinion freely and without any demanding by me. if you feel that your opinion is coming across as an expression of bigotry that is hardly my fault.

I have provided you with evidence of what I have been speaking about as requested, explained my point of view in detail and you haven't even been willing to answer one simple question.

One simple question and I wont answer. I'm such a bold boy. 🤣

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

You're position as I see it is to undermine anything I say by associating it and by extension me with bigotry, intolerance and hatred which is a stance which is demonstrably ridiculous.

Your view is mistaken. I have not called you a bigot or accused you of hatred or intolerance. Can you please explain your logic behind this statement

Advertisement