Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I just read the article you mention - the Le Page article. It seems very supportive of O'Neill's (and others') assertion. But I'm not a virologist so I can't argue with your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yeh The not testing of close contacts in school is in primary school. Age 4-12/13 . So no they are not vaccinated ? And then the HSE wonder why the 5-12 age group are the biggest group now testing positive ? Really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Most "experts" in Irish media do not read the work they cite. In fact many researchers in science don't either. However the paper is a quick read, very accessible, and I'm sure you're capable of interpreting it yourself, you don't need to be a virologist.

Vaccine effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2 transmission to household contacts during dominance of Delta variant (B.1.617.2), August-September 2021, the Netherlands | medRxiv

It's good practice to never take other people's interpretations of scholarly work, especially in media, at face value. Even when reading a paper it's good practice to interpret their methodology/data yourself, rather than relying on their own interpretation.

The most important parts (imo) are:

and:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭User1998

No, they don’t know. What I’m saying is that at this stage in pandemic, a significant proportion of those unvaccinated have probably already had covid (knowingly or un knowingly), so a lot of them would already have natural immunity.

How many of them have natural immunity I don’t know, but it would be interesting to find out.

Vaccinating the remaining adults would definitely help with hospital numbers etc. but it might not make a big a difference as some people make out, considering a lot of these people might already have natural immunity, or have been vaccinated elsewhere in the world.

Need to spell it out?

So 12-99+ - high levels of vaccinations

5-12 - zero vaccination.

Might be a clue there why they are the biggest group now testing positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You better get on to Ronan Glynn because he hasn't a clue why it's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And add into the mix that a close contact of a positive case in school is not tested . It’s running rampant through primary schools now

Must say I presumed that was the whole policy and build up herd immunity. But now they seem surprised that it’s happening

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

"Table 3 shows a lower crude SAR among unvaccinated household contacts for vaccinated index cases compared to unvaccinated index cases (13% vs. 22%) and a corresponding adjusted vaccine effectiveness of 63% (95%CI 46-75%) against transmission. Among fully vaccinated household contacts, the crude SAR was similar for fully vaccinated index cases compared to unvaccinated index cases (11% vs. 12%), but this was confounded by age of the index – both SAR and proportion of vaccinated index cases are higher in the oldest age groups (Supplementary Table S1). After adjustment, the effectiveness of full vaccination of the index case was 40% (95%CI 20-54%)."

My reading of that is they are saying it is 40% i.e. you are 40% less likely to transmit the virus if you are vaccinated.

Also from the paper:

"Our results indicate that vaccination confers protection against onward transmission from vaccinated index cases, albeit somewhat less for Delta than for Alpha. Vaccine effectiveness against transmission to unvaccinated household contacts is stronger than to vaccinated household contacts, with the latter already largely protected from infection, and especially from severe disease, by their own vaccine-induced immunity, but differences in risk behavior may also play a role."

And the very last line:

"As full vaccination remains highly effective in preventing severe disease, also for Delta, a high vaccination coverage remains the key to control the COVID-19 pandemic." 

As always, you have missed the key point of that paper

Effectiveness of full vaccination of the index against transmission to fully vaccinated household contacts was 40%

The index. This was a measure of the reduction in household transmission from those who tested positive already. Not overall reduction in transmission, which includes all other environments and is amplified by the reduction in those vaccinated who catch it in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Stupid parents exposing their children unnecessarily to illnesses for which there are safe vaccines, illnesses which can cause pneumonia, encephalitis and shingles among other complications, should be injected with these illnesses. But those same parents are probably vaccinated themselves.

If you think that is extreme you go into any one of the children's hospitals during a measles outbreak for example.

No child should be needlessly exposed nowadays when they can be protected. Ignorant parents quote that nonsense about "building up their immunity".

Do you even know how many children used to die of these seeming innocent childhood diseases before immunisation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

With the amount of money thrown at it every year

billions year upon year

the health service should be able to cope with most things apart from all out invasion and war

it’s going to be found out this winter and no amount of throwing blame at other sections of society will change that

its a reckoning for them and they know it

My reading of that is they are saying it is 40% i.e. you are 40% less likely to transmit the virus if you are vaccinated.

So, yeah, 40% would be more like the correct figure from the paper, not 63% as Luke and Irish media have said. However as per your quote, 63% is relative, from unvaccinated index cases to unvaccinated secondary cases in the household, compared to unvacc. index to vacc. secondary.

Their adjustments (i.e. adjusted percentages) do not make sense. They weight cases based on whether the index case (patient zero in the house) was finished vaccination more than 60 days ago. The reason they do this is because they note lower efficacy against transmission after 60 days:

So the adjusted percentages should be ignored here, it's a circular logic. Just look at the crude figures instead:

Table 3 shows a lower crude SAR among unvaccinated household contacts for vaccinated index cases compared to unvaccinated index cases (13% vs. 22%) 

Among fully vaccinated household contacts, the crude SAR was similar for fully vaccinated index cases compared to unvaccinated index cases (11% vs. 12%)

This isn't "much less" transmission, and in fact it's the same level of transmission from vaccinated index to vaccinated household members, compared to unvaccinated index cases to vaccinated household members.

Luke is wrong and this is why you should read work yourself.

"As full vaccination remains highly effective in preventing severe disease, also for Delta, a high vaccination coverage remains the key to control the COVID-19 pandemic." 

This is their opinion, it isn't a finding.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

It's all the publics fault now according to the government. They are all over the place. Forget antigen tests, forget vaccines, forget lockdowns, what we need is an election and turf these fools out on their arse.

This was a measure of the reduction in household transmission from those who tested positive already. Not overall reduction in transmission, which includes all other environments and is amplified by the reduction in those vaccinated who catch it in the first place

A paper about transmission from positive cases is about transmission from positive cases? Wow genius, I definitely missed this key point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I was only referring to covid, my kids are fully vaccinated and I have never even heard of the parties you were referring to, i didn't know it was a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭aziz

the corpo8:03 pm

"Five to 12 year olds are now the age group with the highest Covid incidence rate"

this week’s whipping boy

Oh yes I do agree with you that some may in fact have immunity, by accident. I don't believe that is considered enough though and they are recommended widely to at least have one vaccine dose to fix that immunity.

Also this may be starting to wane in those that were infected over 9 months ago and recovered.

Those vaccinated elsewhere can apply for EU Covid Certs I think. But they are vaccinated so not what we are talking about. Again apart from those done in NI would there be that many?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

What hypocrisy?

Vaccinated people can catch Covid. This was always known and it was always said up front. The vaccines were never advertised as 100% effective. No vaccine is.

Again I'll ask you, seeing as you dodged the question: why do the experts strongly recommend those who have had Covid get vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's floorpie misinterpreting the results of a study again, there is form in this area. floorpie is mixing and matching which numbers put vaccines in a negative light and trying to put them all together to try and prove something else. The authors of the paper (and their conclusion) and Luke O'Neill's reading of it was correct.

Unfortunately yes. Really makes me mad, sorry 😁

However Covid is a novel illness until we really know how it affects everybody longterm, and unlike older people, children may not get a bad illness but who knows what the long term issues may be.

It has the worst inflammatory sequelae of any that has been seen, and we are not out of this yet.

• Advertisement

People can verify that my interpretation is correct and that Luke/media are wrong in about 30 seconds.

The authors of the paper (and their conclusion) was correct.

You're not a scientist and haven't read the (or any?) paper, what training do you have to say this? Do you have access to academic literature?

At this stage I think he must be just pulling people's leg?

I thought it was me not getting the same results and conclusions from any of the articles 😁

No offence floorpie, maybe you have an alternate view of life, that's OK too, once we know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Longing

722 cases 341 Covid-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 38 are in ICU on this day 2020. We were in the highest restrictions level 5 since 19th Oct 2020. Nobody vaccanited.

Today 1,631 new cases of Covid-19. 503 patients in hospital with the virus with 101 ICU. light restrictions in place. about 75% fully vacainated.

Still our covid situation is not looking good for the months ahead.

I believe we are seeing that the vaccanations wearing off from protecting you after x amount of months especially with older generation has they got there's first.

A lady told me yesterday about a flight she was on. Before fliying you had to be vaccinated and also tested for covid before you could fly. This flight had 75 people. On return home the had to be tested again. 5 tested positive. They were not allowed to fly. They ones tested positive were all over 65 years old.

Perhaps you should point out what's wrong with my post instead of just saying I'm pulling people's legs? That's pretty rude.

I'll post the most important part verbatim from the paper again (Vaccine effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2 transmission to household contacts during dominance of Delta variant (B.1.617.2), August-September 2021, the Netherlands | medRxiv). What's wrong with this info?:

Table 3 shows a lower crude SAR among unvaccinated household contacts for vaccinated index cases compared to unvaccinated index cases (13% vs. 22%) 

Among fully vaccinated household contacts, the crude SAR was similar for fully vaccinated index cases compared to unvaccinated index cases (11% vs. 12%)

In other words, the probability (according to the index they create) of transmission within a household from:

Unvaccinated -> vaccinated = 13%

Unvaccinated -> unvaccinated = 22%

Vaccinated -> vaccinated = 11%

Vaccinated -> unvaccinated = 12%

You need to go back to the authors of the study and tell them to retract their peer reviewed paper.

You are doing what you always do and focusing in on one or two numbers and then extrapolating lies from them, each time before this was easily picked apart by multiple people on the forum and here you are again doing the same again and pretending to be offended by it.

You are trying and failing to spread dangerous misinformation. I'm sure you will try again in the near future, but as you have ignored the previous times your numbers blew up in your face I'm sure you'll just ignore all the debunking that has happened this time again.

But people will be around to call you on it, and you'll pretend to be offended again before slinking off.

You need to go back to the authors of the study and tell them to retract their peer reviewed paper.

It's on medRxiv so it's not peer reviewed and there's no venue to retract it from.

I'm posting verbatim from the paper. I'm not disagreeing with anything in the paper. So who in this forum picked what apart? I'm confused by your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@floorpie in households there may be threshold issues which don't apply in the community.

The study shows that the vaccination status of the exposed is more important than the vaccination status of the index case, in a household environment.

But that is not incompatible with vaccinated index cases shedding less virus over time.

e.g. if you're shedding at home for 2 days or 4 days, your household contacts have the same 100% chance of being exposed, whereas people outside the household who you only meet once have a 50% risk reduction from the 2 day shedding period.

FWIW I find your fixation on absolute risk reduction weird.

The study shows that the vaccination status of the exposed is more important than the vaccination status of the index case, in a household environment

No, every configuration has ~the same risk, except for unvacc -> unvacc:

e.g. if you're shedding at home for 2 days or 4 days, your household contacts have the same 100% chance of being exposed, whereas people outside the household who you only meet once have a 50% risk reduction from the 2 day shedding period.

This model's inputs are data from thousands of households over months, so it intrinsically accounts for all of this. I.e. the % above are the modelled total risks for households overall for which infection is brought in, not for 1 day or 2 days etc.

FWIW I find your fixation on absolute risk reduction weird.

? I'm not fixated on this at all....? In this case their relative risk calculation is between unvacc->unvacc, and vacc->unvacc. This isn't a typical RRR calculation, likely isn't typical within households, and should be noted.

• Advertisement

Do you disagree with the conclusions of the authors of the paper and luke oneills reading of its results? If you do, you can call for a retraction of the paper as they are reaching a different conclusion to what you are making up (yet again). Your fixation on small parts of data in published papers is bizarre at this point and only makes sense if you are an antivaxxer (i.e. against getting the population vaccinated against a deadly disease).

Are you yourself vaccinated? I may have asked that before but don't remember the answer (or if one was forthcoming).

Advertisement