Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Seen some "reports" saying Xavi is who barca want, with their financial state could they even afford a big name manager now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That was why they were holding back on firing Koeman, iirc. A big payoff was going to be needed.

I imagine Xavi won't be cheap either, he only signed a new contract in May and it has just under two years to run.

I haven't seen anything of Al-Sadd so I can't comment on their style of play but the obsession with getting Xavi in does remind me of the obsession with The United Way and the Class of '92 at Man U and that's going swimmingly. Given Barca's financial woes and a need to develop young players, I wonder if they'd be better off promoting someone from the youth set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rodgers would jump at it working with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Big difference though, Barcelona players, fans and board all want to play 433. They wouldn't mind the results so much this year if the team was playing attacking football or if there were signs of progress but Koeman didn't really have a game plan and tinkered with different formations.

Even prior to the Rijkaard era Barca always tried to play attacking entertaining football with varying degrees of success but fans valued the style over success.

United didn't have a particular style under Fergie and the class of 92 would have gone from 442 domestically to 451 in Europe for most of their careers. Fergie wasn't on the training ground day in day out whereas Rijkaard, Pep, Luis Enrique were all hands on coaches.

Xavi while untested at a high level has Al-Saad playing the Barcelona style of football. The fact that the squad is lacking experience and ego's may actually help him implement the high press tika taka game. There are a number of young players with serious potential, Dest, Araujo, Puig, Ansu Fati, Demir, Pedri, Eric Garcia, Mingueza, Nico Gonzalez and Gavi all 22 or younger so he could build a team around them and Frenkie De Jong. He ticks a lot of the boxes like Pep and I would see them as very similar personalities.

Its easy to demand a better style when you're successful (the Valverde days) or when the style isn't being applied but I wonder how long they'd support the style if it doesn't lead to success. For me, the problems at Barca run a lot deeper than the results on the pitch.

Let's say Xavi takes over but Barca don't win any trophies and just about scrape into the CL for next season. The financial problems will still be going on in the background. He's not going to be able to radically transform the squad. I wonder how popular he will be if they're playing the Barca way but not winning any trophies (2020 was the only year since Pep took over that they didn't win a single trophy).

The entitlement and righteousness of Barca pisses me off. There is a section that seems to believe unblinkingly that playing the 'Barca way' always equals success. It fails to acknowledge the overwhelming financial advantage they had over other Spanish clubs for years. That financial mess is coming back to bite them in the arse and for all the talk about Barca style, I really doubt they'll be happy if they aren't successful even if they follow the Barca style to the nth degree. Of course, their response is that the Barca way always brings success. Football has changed quite a bit and Barca's situation in the football world is not as dominant as it once was.

I won't make any predictions on Xavi because I don't know anything about him as a manager, I just don't believe that he is an appointment that will truly address the bigger issues at Barca right now. It feels like a flashy gimmick to paper over the cracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They have the basis of a very good side, once some of the older guys are phased out over the next couple of seasons.

But it will still take money to replace some guys Xavi isn't happy with, and thats what Barca dont have.

Add to this the financial dominance of the EPL teams as well as PSG, and Barca will struggle to attract talent.

I suspect they have a tough period ahead, at least 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Former President of Barcelona Joan Gaspart still believes Barcelona can win the treble this season.🤣

"Barcelona will win the Champions League, La Liga, because there is still a lot of championship left, and the Copa del Rey, because it has not yet started,"

"Although one can be wrong, without optimism one is very unhappy. I have seen more difficult things in football. I hope that in the future we will aspire to the maximum, but I have already told you that it is never easy to win the great titles.

I wonder what drugs that chap is taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Had a look at the La Liga double bill this evening. Levante in big trouble, losing 3-0 at home to fellow strugglers Granada. Only side in the league yet to win a game, and the fans were jeering loudly at the whistle. I think they were wrong to sack Paco Lopez. I like him as a coach and think he did well with what he was working with.

Rayo vs Celta Vigo ended goalless. The home side had the better chances. Amazing to see Bebe still getting game time in a top league in 2021. He offered very little.

• Advertisement

Aguero out for at least 3 months after suffering chest pains and now under treatment with a cardiologist after coming off during the game on Saturday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Xavi to Barca is done. Barca have agreed to pay his release clause.

Huge job there for him, I hope he does well but its a big ask.

Talk of Psg letting Ramos go, as he's costing them a fortune in wages despite being permanently injured.

Could he make a return to Madrid? Or has that ship sailed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Barca 3 nil up at ht away to Celta Vigo.

Aspas gets his second, to get his team a draw in the 96th minute.

• Advertisement

Barca really blew that result.

Madrid top of the table after a hard fought win over Rayo. Benzema now on 10 goals and 7 assists. Falcao helped himself to another goal too.

Seville derby tomorrow will be interesting. Betis sitting 5th and Sevilla 3rd.

So after Barca blew a 3 goal lead yesterday to end up with a draw, Atletico blew a 3-1 lead heading into stoppage time. Sub Hugo Duro got both the injury time goals. Ancelotti probably can't believe his luck. The highlights are well worth seeking out, including for a superb goal from Griezmann.

Barcelona have reached an agreement in principle to sign free agent Dani Alves, with the Brazilian defender set to re-join the team for the rest of the season.

A great addition.

If this is true, sad to see him go out of the game this way.

Very sad end for him, only 33.

Barcelona have denied the rumours, said Aguero is undergoing treatment and a decision wont be made until January.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Advertisement

Barca leading Espanyol 1-0 in the derby in Xavi's first game as coach but Espanyol have passed up some great chances to equalise. A few minutes remaining.

Full-time and Xavi gets his first win. Thought the penalty for Depay was very soft...

They created chances but still plenty of defensive issues for Xavi to sort out. Some tricky games on the way as well with Benfica, Villarreal, Betis and Bayern to come.

Madrid back on top after an impressive 4-1 win at Granada. Played some lovely stuff at times. This goal a particular highlight:

And Vini Jnr got another cracker tonight to win the game v Sevilla.

Speaking of Madrid, what is going on with the Bernabeu? I know it had a major revamp, but what is keeping them getting the lower tier sorted? Why has it been covered in sheets all season?

Barca beaten 1-0 at home by Betis. Not the confidence boost they were looking for ahead of the Bayern game. 13 points off leaders Madrid as it stands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Only hope for Barca might be if Bayern rest players. I hope they don't.

Great evening for Madrid. Atletico blew a 1-0 lead in the final 10 minutes to lose to Mallorca. Madrid won 2-0 away at Sociedad to go 8 clear of Sevilla who have a game in hand.

The Madrid derby is on Premier Sports on Sunday evening. Looking forward to it. Not sure if it's a must-win for Atletico but they can't afford to lose. If they do, they'll be 13 points off Madrid, albeit with a game in hand. A win for Madrid leaves them looking tough to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Can’t wait for it either, I think a lot of people are underestimating Madrid this season, they have a real grit about them. Hopefully Diego understands that they should have a lot of the ball and goes out to win. Cracker I store surly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Betis are playing great, Juanmi is having an amazing season.

• Advertisement

Barca held to a 2-2 draw at Osasuna. Top 4 is looking tricky at this rate.

Team news for the Madrid derby:

Real Madrid XI: Courtois; Carvajal, Militao, Alaba, Mendy; Modric, Casemiro, Kroos; Asensio, Benzema, Vini Jr.

Atletico Madrid XI: Oblak; Llorente, Felipe, Kondogbia, Hermoso; Correa, Koke, De Paul, Carrasco; Griezmann, Cunha.

What a goal by Benzema!

2-0 via Asensio and a second assist from Vinicius. Long way back for Atletico now.

Full-time and Madrid get a big win. Long way to go but they're looking very tough to stop atm. Excellent performance from Courtois. Best keeper in the world right now imo.

Post edited by Mr.Nice Guy on

Barca beat Elche after making very hard work of it. They were cruising 2-0 but conceded 2 goals in 2 minutes in the second half. Goal by Nico Gonzalez wins it in the 85th minute. Barca away to Sevilla on Tuesday and that could be a tough evening for them. Sevilla host Atletico later on.

Sevilla ended up beating Atletico 2-1. Big result that moves them 8 points clear of Atletico. Long way to go but shaping up like a tussle between Madrid and Sevilla for the title.

Big shock as Madrid held goalless by 19th place Cadiz at the Bernabeu. 36 shots apparently and still couldn't score. Sevilla the big winners then this weekend as Betis lost 3-2 earlier as well. Their game in hand against Barca on Tuesday looking even more exciting now as they could close to within 3 points with a win. Premier Sports showing that game according to the TV guide.

Sevilla lead Barca 1-0 through Gomez from a nice corner routine. It's lashing rain in Seville.

1-1. Another goal from a corner before half-time. Great header from Araujo.

Oh dear. Jules Kounde given a straight red after reacting to Jordi Alba's shoulder nudge. He fell right into the trap there. Stupid from Kounde.

It ends 1-1. I think Sevilla will take that as Barca piled on the pressure after the red card. Dembele hit the post with a lovely strike. Madrid now 5 points clear of Sevilla at the top. Barca in 7th.

Beautiful strike from Benzema against Athletic Club.

His 2 goals see Madrid extend their lead at the top. Atletico beaten 2-1 at Granada, and if they win their game in hand they'll still be 14 points off first. I think it's already over for Simeone's title defence. Top 4 should be the target now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Where the hell did barcelona find €55m for ferran torres???

They got a loan apparently but they still need to move on some other players to fit his salary in, even with Aguero retiring.

Big surprise as league leaders Madrid are beaten 1-0 at Getafe. Great result for Quique Sanchez Flores. Defensive howler from Militao led to the goal.

Sevilla now 8 points behind with 2 games in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If I was a Barca fan Dembele would have me pulling my hair out

A mercenary with a very bad attitude.

He couldnt finish his dinner, and is constantly injured, a disaster of a signing.

He should be paying Barcelona not the other way around.

El Clasico coming up in the Spanish Super Cup semi-final at 7pm. Ferran Torres makes his Barca debut. BT Sport showing it. Teams:

Barcelona XI: Ter Stegen; Alves, Araujo, Pique, Alba; F. de Jong, Busquets, Gavi; Dembele, L. de Jong, Torres.

Real Madrid XI: Courtois; Carvajal, Militao, Nacho, Mendy; Modric, Casemiro, Kroos; Asensio, Benzema, Vinicius Jr.

Excited for the game but disappointed it's being held in Saudi Arabia. Raul Garcia, whose Bilbao team play Atletico tomorrow in the other semi, not happy about it:

All about greed.

1-0 to Madrid. Benzema nabs the ball off Busquets and feeds Vini Jr. who finishes well. You have to question the wisdom of playing a high line involving a 38-year-old Dani Alves against a 21-year-old Vinicius Jr.

1-1. Dembele puts the ball in and Militao's casual clearance hits Luuk de Jong and goes in. Another mistake from Militao following on from the Getafe one.

2nd half starts and Ferran Torres' debut ends with him subbed at half-time along with Frenkie de Jong. Pedri and Abde on.

2-1 Madrid. Benzema scores from close range. He's having a great game.

2-2. Fati nips in front of Militao to head in Alba's cross. Militao having a poor match.

It ends 2-2 so we'll have extra-time. It's been a good game.

3-2 Madrid. Valverde finishes off a nice break. Barca need to come from behind for a third time.

Full-time and Madrid reach the final. Fun game and both sides had chances to score in the second half. Madrid just about deserved it but Barca caused more problems than I expected. Recent performances from Militao will be a concern.

Athletic Club come from behind to beat Atletico 2-1 and reach Sunday's Spanish Super Cup final against Madrid. It was a deserved win as Atletico looked toothless up top. Oblak had kept Atletico in it before the comeback.

Madrid have won the Spanish Super Cup, beating Athletic Club 2-0. Modric and Benzema with the goals. Militao's woes continue as he was sent off on the 87th minute for a handball in the box. Might have been a nervy finish for Madrid had Raul Garcia scored but Courtois saved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Get in Inigo Martinez, 2-1 Athletic club with 3 minutes of normal time left. Hopefully they can hold on now.

VAR rules out another goal which would have ended it for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Barca equalise 2 minutes into injury time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I don't know if any of you have been watching but Canales and Fekir have been mind blowing for Betis the last few weeks, they put on a show.

Some comeback for Atletico tonight. 2-0 down at home to Valencia at half-time and managed to win 3-2, scoring 2 goals in stoppage time.

Sevilla were held to a draw by Celta, so Madrid can go 6 points clear by beating Elche tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Real Madrid fans don't need to worry anyway, Bale is back in training 😲

• Advertisement
Advertisement