Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

I can feel your pain. The housing market at the moment is not for the faint hearted. If you have been sale agreed for six months, perhaps the price you’re sale agreed on is way below the current price level in your area as the market has moved on in the last six months. So withdrawing your property from the market and putting it up for sale again will give you few more 1000s which you’ll badly need when bidding for new property. Also I assume you have the title deeds and your solicitor has probably drafted a contract already. So the next time the right property comes, get your property up for sale too and as soon as sale agreed, you have the contract ready for issue getting you in a position of advanced sale stage fast… the couple may be wiling to wait it out. For them going back to market is not good as the prices has moved on and they may not be able to afford the same kind of property on the area they want to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 user4202

Has anyone drawn down a mortgage with Finance Ireland recently? How long did it take from the day the solicitor requested drawdown & what documents (payslips, statements etc) did you need to provide during this process? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Don’t have an answer to that. But can i ask how long after the pre offer call did they send the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 user4202

The total time for loan offer was around 20 days for us. Once we received the pre offer call we had the loan offer in our inbox’s within 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How long does drawdown usually take? Any experience with PTSB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭FrankN1

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OCALLAA5

Similar timeline to me. We got held up with mortgage protection but got that confirmed on a Tuesday, balance of funds check was Thursday and funds released the following Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

4 weeks would be pretty quick imo. Today is 100 days from the day we went sale agreed and we still don't have our closing date. Sellers still don't have their own purchase straightened out. We've been waiting more than 4 weeks just since their solicitor has received their own contract to buy and they haven't gotten everything straightened out.

It's quite stressful. I've definitely had heightened cortisol levels the past few weeks worrying that it still might fall apart since there is no final contract and we have had no date, just constantly being told it's just a few more days away. Just feel like it's hard to get settled with anything because it's always in the back of my mind.

Fortunately for me. The property im buying in vacant at the minute. Everything going smoothly enough so far.

Signed the contracts yesterday. I think it would be done and all by now if Finance Ireland weren’t so incredibly slow.

Rang me last Tuesday with the pre loan call. Said the offer would be out in 5 days. Today is day 8. No offer.

Seems to be a theme with them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm currently dealing with Finance Ireland and my solicitor says that in his 40 years of dealing with banks, they are by far the best!

Hopefully it all happens soon for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Market seems to have ground to a halt in Limerick, no new properties coming on at all really.

Bloody hell. Fortunately only dealt with one so could well be true.

I’m sure be all sorted in the next few days.

I’m just terrified something will go wrong before everything is over the line. I don’t think i can go through all this again.

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Anyone know what happens if you are unable to secure mortgage protection? I am mortgage approved but think mortgage protection may be an issue. Is there any way to get a mortgage without it? I’m single with no dependents if that matters.

Yes, it is possible to get a waiver. My partner and I couldn't get insured either (I was fine, but she had a rare condition, that even though it wasn't fatal or anything, none of the insurers would touch), but thankfully did get a mortgage protection waiver. I still have to take out a policy for myself, but she does not. I can't say how hard they are to get though, only have a sample size of 1 to draw on, but the impression I got was that they are not given out that often. It might be different for a single person too, as you won't have a second income to potentially pay off the rest of the mortgage.

What I would say is start getting the mortgage insurance done ASAP. If you think there's potentially something iffy about your health then they'll either take a while to approve you (since they'll want your GP to write a report) or they will tell you you won't get cover. Either way, get the result as quickly as possible. Once you have some rejections (in our case 2, but I've heard some ask for 3), you can probably talk to your broker or bank contact about applying for a waiver. If they won't give it to you, better to find out early before you find a house and start bidding, and if they will then it will give you a lot of peace of mind when you do get to that stage. If the bank won't give it to you early on, you'll also have a chance to shop around with some other banks who might be a bit more lenient (brokers might be able to help a bit more with this too).

As far as what might make it easier to get one, I would say that if you have some kind of other life cover in place already (such as from your employer) then that does help, especially if it covers the remainder of the mortgage amount. It also probably helps to have a lower Loan-to-Value ratio if you can help it (e.g. you put in a deposit of say 20% instead of 10%).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hi folks, seen a house this eve that will be going for auction in a week or so and don’t know how it works?it says in the advertisement that it will need substantial refurbishment … I don’t mind if it’s decorative .. but kind of worried that I could go bid on house that turns out to have structural faults … will I have any comeback then or stuck into purchasing it ? I’d doubt I’d have chance to get structural engineer out to check house by time auction comes….

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Thought so much… it’s a pity I hadn’t seen it sooner .. hopefully I get to look at it in coming day or two ..I have mortgage approval in principle so at least that bits covered … hate the notion of rushing out to find an engineer and paying for them to look at a place that I might be outbid on in the first 10 mins !

The place we are buying (closing on Monday yusss!) was going to auction. We actually talked them out of it by putting a bid on before the auction, subject to removal from auction. However this is a rural location in the midlands and was a quiet time during the summer. Your situation may be different but talk to the ea, have a viewing, if you really like it get an engineer. You might be lucky and it won't go auction, a lot of people don't like auctions and very hard to do unless your paying cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Particularly these days, houses only go up for auction if there is something quite wrong with it.

The house is up on bidx1… I’m kind of apprehensive about auctions… and about this crowd… their reviews seem mixed on Google…noticed a lot of the good reviews are from people who have only ever made that one review…….

anyone here know much about bidx1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They’re well established but be advised that the vast majority of purchasers there are investors and very few do with a mortgage.

Their FAQ states you should have a mortgage offer, so not approval in principle. You may find a great deal if you’re willing to risk it but it isn’t designed for people looking for a family home. I wouldn’t go near an auction myself if I couldn’t pay it in full (and I can’t!)

https://bidx1.com/en/ireland/faq

If it was in a town, yes there's a good chance the property may have issues but auctions are common in a rural setting with farms/parcels of land.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

You need to do more research on auctions especially BidX1 and read all the legal documents they upload, one I was looking at was being sold by bank receivers and their conditions stated 10% deposit on winning bid and full payment within 14 days or they get to keep the deposit plus all the usual auction details of no comebacks on any property defects etc, it would be impossible to go from mortgage approval to buying in that time so really a lot of these properties are just for cash buyers willing to take the risk, I asked the receivers and they said in that case they could possible extend to 4 weeks but still that's not enough time.

Did they send the loan offer to both you and your solicitor or just your solicitor?

Today is day 9. The postie just been and no loan offer. Can’t wait not to have to deal with them anymore.

Those conditions seem mad. They expect a non-refundable deposit before you even have the chance to do a survey of the property? Even for a cash investor with money to spare that sounds massively risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

That's just how auctions work. The idea is your bidding is final and binding.

You would generally engage a surveyor before bidding and read the legal pack etc. You only look at houses that aren't opening before you've had a chance to do all the above.

I suppose if it's set up in a way where all parties can completely check the place out ahead of time then it makes sense to some extent, although it would also probably end up costing a lot more in surveyor fees and such since presumably there are generally a lot more people who bid than end up actually getting the property. Our surveyor charged the best part of €500, if we had to do that on every house we put in serious bids on we'd have been skinned. It's a different market though, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Officer999

Put our house on the market last week. However two estate agents for houses we are interested in won’t even entertain us with bidding. One for a place in Naas even told us we were not allowed come to the viewing unless we have gone sale agreed with our current property. Had this always been the way or is it just now? It’s very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Yeah its mad considering that house had been left sit for 2+ years and then suddenly the bank cant wait to get the cash but the asking prices are normally low enough to justify any risk to a cash buyer, the main thing is the receivers didn't want to have to wait through all the due diligence a bank would make me do to get a mortgage, that house needed some work so id have to get quotes for that, engineers report, etc

Actually while im here when I was researching it I discovered that mortgages for houses that require minor build works (non structural) to make them livable are far more complex than id known, there a decent risk you'd have to pay for that work out of your own pocket and only when its complete and certified would the bank release that portion of the mortgage or you'd have to convince the builder to wait until 100% completion for any payment.

Not endorsing any company in any way but there is a good FAQ on it here: https://mortgage123.ie/house-renovations/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

Very frustrating indeed. Been there many times.This happens when the vendor have specific instruction that they will only sell to people not on chain. Just keep trying with other properties. In the meantime keep your house in the market. You don’t have to go sale agreed if you can’t find a house. Or you can go sale agreed but be honest with your purchaser that they might be in for a long wait.

Advertisement