Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Scroll back a few pages and someone explains how the standard playlist is broken into heavy, medium and light rotation, and why its done. (I would have been able to find it using Search on the old boards, not so much now, sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was listening to the news on Today FM yesterday and one of the stories was that Succession was coming back soon for Series 3.

I know TodayFM has dumbed down badly over the years, but to class this as 'news' was a new low.

But I suppose its content creation, and about filling time. We all know Succession will fill up a lot of discussions on Irish radio over the coming weeks. The latest Bond film got a massive amount of free advertising on RTE and Today FM recently, it appears its a new thing.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You might not think it's news, but it is.

People are talking about it, it's a popular tv show, there's a lot of excitement about it.

It was one tiny item at the end of the news bulletin, not their top story.

They have tv slots on their shows, and t.v. shows are discussed often enough, I just don't think it needs to be on the news headlines stories.

It might be what people are talking about, but does that make it news? People are talking about all sorts of things, doesn't make it news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Coldplay on HEAVY rotation .....

Fcuking hell like. The station is hitting new lows daily...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

What was the reason for the gig being played last Friday instead of Dec Pierce first hour?

Are they getting 'loadsamoney' from their record company to flog their 'music' to death ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Where did you hear this from? Just wondering who else is on that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Wonder was Ed ever offered a slot in the day & turned it down cos he wouldn't have full control of the music.

God how I miss Eds Songs of Praise...his 10pm slot is just on too late but I see his posts with playlists, he plays some cracking tunes late at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

I see this Sunday afternoon is Phil Cawley's last show (see his Facebook page). I know he is on South East Radio Monday to Friday afternoons but I miss his Friday Night 80's show (listen to Dee Woods on Nova for that) and the Classic 9 at 11 (it's not the same listening to a dj who was too young in the 90's giving the stories etc from the years)

Ian Dempsey would be one of the last DJs standing since near the start of TodayFM (don't think he was there at the start of Radio Ireland)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Muller1991

I think this has been on the cards for some time, Its a shame to see him leave. Always listened when driving home from weekends away on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Phil Cawley will be the last remaining original presenter from the Radio Ireland days gone. In fact, I think he might be the last remaining person in any capacity from Radio Ireland, although I stand corrected on that particular detail. Ian Dempsey left 2FM for Today FM in July 1998, but didn't start presenting with them until September that year. Radio Ireland launched on March 17th 1997 and rebranded itself as Today FM a few days into January 1998, so Ian wasn't even there for the start of Today FM. I think Ian will now be the longest lasting presenter on the station, when Phil leaves. I know Alison Curtis had some involvement, mainly behind the scenes, with Today FM in 1998, prior to her jumping ship at the time to then pirate Phantom FM. Even if she did do a little bit of presenting around the same time as Ian started, she wasn't with Today FM all that time. She returned to Today FM in 2003, but left again during the 2010s for a year or two to the legal Phantom FM, before coming back again! Ian will definitely have the longest unbroken service with Today FM when Phil leaves.

I felt it was only a matter of time before Phil left with his increasing involvement with other stations. I thought it might have been Radio Nova, but that turned out to be short-lived. His involvement with South East Radio brings him back to his time with that station prior to Radio Ireland, so it has kind of gone full circle for Phil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭RINO87

"Fill in Phil" always reminds me of summer time, when Today FM was at the peak of its powers. He would be on for Foley when he was on his holidays, and then in for Fenton when Foley returned!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Playing that Quote Devil after every 20 mins finished me with Today Fm. We used to have it on in the office but it just became insufferable. They must be getting paid a fortune to keep that playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Couldn’t agree more with you!! It was absolute overkill- it was on nearly every ad break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Aw bye Phil. Another one bites the dust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Today FM began to drop their standards when foley came along, it was the start of the content creator shi*e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Plus he was a lot of people's first ever podcast subscription when he launched The PodBlast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Word of warning !!🤬

The worst thing to come out of the UK since or before Brexit Ed Sheeran is I believe releasing something he calls songs this weekend and I am going to block Today FM for the day and at worse would rather listen to Christmas FM even if its not broadcasting yet

Its going to be end to end drivel playlist of his songs and interviews

I am off to buy some sand for Friday to bury my head in it

.... and I have never got a decent quote from Quote Devil.

Always wondered how much they paid TodayFM for those adverts. Easily the most advertised company on Irish radio, along with the tv licence on tv, and supporting artists supporting us sh1te. Artists are doing it for profit, not to support us, catch yourself on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭nomoedoe

From listening to TodayFM and 2fm today they both will need to be blocked on Friday ,D&D calling it Ed Sheeran day and Tracey Clifford has an hour long interview with him!

And Christmasfm is broadcasting but its now HalloweenFM..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Thank f*ck for Spotify.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What's the link between TodayFm and Virgin Media? John Maguire, quote devil guy is the husband of Karen Coster isn't he?

Friday is Ed Sheeran day seemingly.

Dermot&Dave have him on for an 'hour special' .....

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

welcome to modern advertising where it's not actually an advert but it really is.

You'd never know by the amount of self advertising for it.. it's Wall to Wall it's Ed Sheeran not Elvis... although If it was Elvis I'd be more impressed

Anyway each to their own I definitely will be turning it off and will switch that dial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

lol. You’d be forgiven for thinking every day is Ed day on Today Fm.

• Advertisement

Just was flicking around Dial and not only did D&D have Ed the singing horse on but they are repeating snippets through their show

Now back to Spotify

Advertisement