Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

........uhm.

We did get lucky, had we a pandemic with a virus that had a higher level of mortality the outcome, or todays position if you prefer, would have been significantly worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If Delta had been the first variant, everyone in the world would have had it within a few months.

Basic health care globally would have collapsed.

Luck played a part as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Wonder do we know the breakdown of the different variants here ….delta seems to be getting all the blame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

It wasn't luck. There's an inverse relationship between infectivness vs mortality. A pathogen is not going to carry both traits equally well.

The big plagues of the past were more reliant on malnutrition due to wars or lack of clean water etc, the pathogen that caused deaths was an opportunist not the protagonist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

I volunteer the vegans and gibbons if he's not a vegan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

Probably most of the climate activists as well 😁😉🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Let's see do they really care about the planet..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I’ve no idea, but I’m in the process of pricing a starter consisting of fulvic, humic, sulfur and beet phosphor extracts, to replace DAP. I’ll post the breakdown and price. I should have it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Methane is really just energy. Energy from the sun. Plants that are high in energy when anaerobically digested produce high methane.

Maize, beet, rye are favoured for digestors.

If anyone wanted to do their own experiment on methane. Just get slurry (or bogwater) add molasses and boom methane. (Experiments were done with beet molasses inclusion in slurry at 5% and it decreased methane by 67%. But inclusion above 5% and it increased carbon dioxide and methane.)

Epa are pushing for increased methane figures based on milk yield produced. So even though the farmer knows the inputs of the cow and generally breeds for efficiency per feed fed. The inefficient cow will be treated the same as the efficient cow as they will base it on output not input. Better get making that home made cheese.

On the anaerobic digestor and cow comparison the cow is continually drawing energy herself from her rumen and can regulate how much energy is needed for feedstock breakdown, the ad digestor not so.

Post edited by Say my name on

The lab in Wuhan is a leading authority and research center for Corona viruses, there is no sign of tampering in the original virus by all accounts.

Most likely explanation is it escaped.

They probably were changing them, that seems common in research labs.

• Advertisement

It's possible but it seems there are thousands of Corona viruses out there.

We'll never know the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

It does not kill many in the child bearing and rearing years so it is not good for population control .

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

Saw an article today that US Dairy herd numbers dropped by 85k due to high cost of feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

I can't remember the name but the guys in Wuhan were doing unauthorised stuff. Serious malpractice. Something like gene editing of viruses to produce new variants - against all rules for research labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Pity the hoors wouldn't research how to get fertiliser a bit cheaper and a bit less environmentally damaging

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I plan to go with gran lime and Slurry only. Slurry will be well agitated and spread evenly. The days of laying down tar slurry in the few fields around the sheds are over. My thinking with the gran lime is it will release built up nutrients in the soil but it is only a short term solution. If this is the new norm in fertilizer prices than I will be going 100% organic.

The reality of organic farming outputs is a lot lower than folks realize. A farm with 45 cow pairs without chemical fertilizer in Organic would be looking at running 10-15 pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

Would you not just spread 1 tonne of ground lime if your soil tests need it. That granlime is a ripoff

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I already have a good supply of the gran-lime, I had been using it on rented ground but will use it on my own next year. But only for 1 year and I will see what options are available then. Talk of reductions and changing systems is easy, but it takes a bit of time to change over and I don't want to do so and find that fertilizer prices drop back down at the back end of next year. My gut feeling is the prices are the new norm.

ground lime is better value for sure.

I'd like to know is there any alternatives to slurry/lime as a replacement for chemical fertilizer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

Gran lime is a waste of time and money. Would be careful of nitrogen losses when spreading it with slurry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

It’s between 5-7 times more expensive than bulk, at least used to be. I doubt it’s any cheaper now. You’d want your head examined to be spreading it

• Advertisement

Prices will be higher for years to come, who knows in 5 years.

They probably won't be at the high levels of now and spring time.

American dairy cows suffered their biggest drop in numbers as cows become too dear to feed and that's even before this really took off.

Maize, the main cattle feed in North America is going to be dear next year. With an awful lot of corn growers it seems deciding against it and going for Soya etc.

It'll be a good sign for milk here.

Post edited by Danzy on

Gran lime is too dear compared to bulk and only a part as effective.

Bulk lime will work for years for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Make the slurry as watery as possible seems to be the current thinking, turning the gutters into tanks in the late spring and keeping the tanks as full as possible then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Jay mentioned it before but it seems glyphosate has trebled in value and tracked fertiliser prices.

Don't know the reason.

You'd nearly think some higher authority has read a natural farming book and decided to try it out on a global scale to see if they're full of it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Obviously no six or seven or even eight month winters where you are😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is often an obession with the cost of any product. Easten is right in what he is planning to do. I think they say you need 175kgs of bagged lime to get the equivalent of a ton of lime

However you cannot spread ordinary line on silage ground in the spring. You have two risks, you have a very high risk of poor preservation. However you also lose your N and cannot use Urea on limed ground for 12 months.

Now the theory would be to go with lime now. However lime losses (I have only seen research from the UK I put it up here 5-6 years ago) are the order of 175-200kgs/ ton over the winter in year one alone....and that is in the UK where rainfall is much lower

Taking N losses 8 units/1k gallon at predicted spring costs ( assuming urea at 550/ton) it's about 9.5/ acre for 2k gallons on silage ground

You will also need to use CAN instead of Urea as your N source( protected urea is not much cheaper than CAN even if you can use it on limed ground) Can is usually about 40%per unit more expensive than Urea. At 550/ton Urea costs 60c/unit N. Spreading 70 units of Can on silage ground instead of Urea costs about 17euro/acre.

Total cost of using Lime at 1tone per acre is is probably 22-25/ton. Add in the N cost and it is over 50 euro/ acre to use groundline next year.

Granline @a bag is 8/acre and a bag will get you through your silage season. Just graze ground vbare in the spring. Do not spread before.Mid March. Spread it 7-14 days before slurry if possible( my own recommendation), however it can go out shortly after slurry ( I have done this after first cut where slurry was spread straight away( years ago when using a splash plate so N was gone anyway in a hit day in June.) But just try to have.minimal grass cover, spread it as filed are grazed out, do not wait to do it all together

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Bass if you spread Urea on March 1st you can spread lime from March 8th on same parcel without effecting the uptake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Hilarious anyone being forced to spend a small fortune roofing their outdoor tanks only to direct the downpipes back into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

At this stage they are simply trying to get lads to cut back on numbers through more and more onerous regulations, but the stick approach is now been threatened alot more than the carrot (grants/good sfp payments), its going to be interesting to see how far the department will go re enforcement for lads who go off grid, I wouldn't like to be a department inspector wondering into farmers yards shutting them down, could get very messy

Advertisement