Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

So what is really happening?

• we have a high level of vaccinations but more can be done - the HSE became complacent and could be far more creative on getting into the community -
    • we are being slow in respect to boosters -
    • the vaccine is making this virus far less serious…but it is still a virus and is continuing to spread -
    • the unvaccinated are primarily the ones who are getting seriously ill (50% + of ICU) -
    • people are making up their own minds in terms of personal safety with many people rightfully looking at risks -
    • the health system as It has been for at least 20 years is continuing to struggle and this will get worse with an ageing population -
    • NPHET and the HSE continue to be selective with data on those in hospital settings -
    • NPHET are back to advocating restrictions and still have no appreciation that we cannot continue to have the economy on life support to protect a dis functioning health service -

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The definition in the law is very broad and covers anywhere that sells food or drinks (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) that can be consumed on the premises. It doesn't have to be a pub of a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Anywhere you can buy food and sit indoors to eat it is covered so that includes Centra etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's intriguing to see the return of NPHET briefings, News outlets showing a new interest in the pandemic (most had reduced it to an aside), morning Ireland pretty much dedicating most of this morning show to it, including reports from across Europe and Russia.

The NPHET briefing yesterday was filled with ambiguity, nothing really definitive to explain what's going on, a slight toning down of the it's the unvaccinateds fault rethoric, indeed a tame admission the vacinnes have Not preformed as they hoped.

Norma Foley still in denial about school outbreaks and yet a large outbreak in her own constituency reported and has spread like wildfire.

Also news this morning the Covid app only reporting 6% of positive cases.

Meanwhile Ticketing guidelines being published (Alledgedly) later to day, a week after opening and major push back by industry.

Hopefull seems to be the approach, it just perplexing at this stage. I was left with only four thoughts yesterday.

Are the Blind leading the Blind 🤔

All the experts concerned, worried, alarmed, Politicians shrugging their shoulders🤔

What excuses will they come up with now the unvaccinated blame game being proven, utter nonsense. 🤔

Have we moved to a Hopefully, Fingers crossed approach to dealing with this developing situation. 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Stephen Donnelly up later on PK, I'm feeling underwhelmed before he even opens his mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yeah it must be all those 5-12 year olds going to nightclubs that are the problem alright!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

True.But Holohan did say last night they hadn't been as effective as hoped.It just gives an indication into their thought process now I guess....what next? Continuing as is, I would hope, to see what natural progression the numbers take.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

I'll look later I'm busy today - no time for the back and forth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

RTE reporting that clubs won't get the 2-week grace period they asked for

So they give 24 hours for clubs to implement online ticketing system for the weekend, that will go down well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It seems they are putting snap lockdowns back on the table.

It's like a never ending nightmare at this stage, it's like we are on some sort of loop. At what point do they stop and announce that we are just going to have to live with the virus and if we are sick, stay home. End of.

Then someone needs to seriously look into the HSE because it can't be possible that they are in such a dire situation with all the money they've received.

Shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

A lockdown is "almost all but" ruled out "for now".

Gee that's nice.

They're always not-happening until they happen. The time from saying we might go into lockdown until we are stuck in one is usually a few days.

Do all the people who got angry at me for saying there might be more lockdowns get it now? They're only off the table or unlikely until they aren't.

We're only on the cusp of winter and we're already seeing an *increase* in restrictions - Varadkar is talking about extending covid passes to more places.

Not ruling something out doesn't mean it will happen and TBH given the loose planning for the hospitality sector it would be better to have an actual plan ready to go IF needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

What does "live with the virus" mean though ? Does it mean ignore it, carry on as we were and whatever happens, happens, or does it mean some adjustments have to be made to our lives and the way we live them to allow us to live as close to normal as possible while the pandemic lasts ?

I'm not advocating snap lockdowns or anything of the sort, I don't think they're even remotely necessary, but I do think its time we accepted that our 2019 lives are not coming back, they might get 99% back but its never going to be exactly the same. No world event that I can think of has ever not had lasting consequences. Look at the changes to air travel we still have, 20 years after 9/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

It is now a live option and we are at the start of winter.

Whether it happens or not the accusations of self-indulgent pessimism thrown around already look very silly.

We could easily be in lockdown in 2 weeks, a month, Christmas or the long cold snap from January to March.

Basically we are heading into five months of bad weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I really wish someone in government would take control of the whole thing. Far too many chiefs throwing their tuppence worth around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭brickster69

Looks like the second wave of Delta is kicking off everywhere unfortunately. With 70% of hospitalsations vaccinated in Belgium they are to reimpose some restrictions on Monday.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

So my understanding (open to correction)

The WHO have three barometers with regard to when public health measures need to be tweaked, re introduced etc. Let's put aside vaccination levels and that argument or the fact we've seen new case numbers over 1000 daily for quite some time

1. Is the Pandemic under control 🤔 (NO)

2. Can the countries health care system adapt/cope 🤔 (NO) 6 hospital groups now saying elective surgeries curtailed, cancelled.

3. Is contract Tracing, survalence working, implemented etc etc 🤔 (NO) HSE seemed to have given up on that.

3 out of 3 No's , not terribly inspiring and the WHO'S guidelines updated last May 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Ireland is realistically too small for local lockdowns IMO and we don't have the ability to enforce them.

WHO also suggested against NZ and Australian zero COVID policies last year and praised China for containing the virus in January 2020

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't listen to the WHO but sometimes they get it wrong

Listening there, he must have great eyesight with the amount of things he's "looking into"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,256 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

"With 70% of hospitalsations vaccinated in Belgium"

Got a link to that claim that 70% in hospital over there are vaccinated ? Because I can find nothing to back that up. Something reputable please, not another one of your posts that turn out to be completely false.... remember you posted a picture claiming to be Trieste when it was infact Zurich in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Excellent post, I would love to see a year by year graph, with icu capacity! Share that around the interseb and so ial media like you say. Seeing as our media wont do it...

How interesting that during these periods, the endless billions were wasted and squandered, rather than well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

We’re heading the way of Australia if they try introduce another lockdown.

My thoughts exactly, he's also thrilled at Bloomberg ranking Ireland as Number 1 in the world with regard to resilence against Covid, how Bloomberg coming up that is beyond me

It's a live option until it's decided it's not. The government don't want to go down that route and they continually emphasize their success in getting things open. So that brings us back to another 2 weeks, in the sense that NHPE have predicted the peak for round about then. So far they look like hitting the case numbers and the bottom end of ICU numbers but with hospital numbers down today that looks way out.

In truth we probably have reached a point where NPHET genuinely haven't a clue, not through bad models but because it is becoming almost impossible to figure out what the link is between cases and hospitalisations and to model that.

Personally don't believe we will see another lockdown but some reversal of restrictions may happen if things go really badly. Can't really guess at what that might be as that is a mystery known only to government!

I live in the Midlands and recall the absurd local lockdowns, Laois, Offaly, Kildare. It was ludicrous, never actually happened, no one I know saw anything that remotely looked like a local lockdown, there was continuing Restaurant restrictions and pub closures but that had nothing to do with local lockdowns. They won't and have clearly not worked in the past, in fact at the Time there was counties elsewhere with much higher infection and new case rates that were never subjected to local lockdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Nobody wants to.

This whole thing, and especially the last few weeks, has been characterised by a scramble to blame anyone else but themselves.

The billions pumped into the hse over the years has been mismanaged and the health service is now not fit for purpose.

They bet on the vaccines solving the problem and that has not happened.

Now all they've got blame. Blame the tiny percentage unvaccinated, blame the children, blame the public. Blame anyone as long as no one blames them.

Advertisement