Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d rather be unemployed then dead or seriously ill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Sure when you’re on the handy PUP that’s not surprising the attitude of your post. If there’s another lockdown my taxes won’t be supporting it i can tell you that right now 😉.

Life is risk. I’d rather take a risk than a miserable existence of a life. If you’re vaccinated you shouldn’t have to worry about being dead or seriously ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You can tell that to your TD ;)

seeing as whatever tax you pay is spent at the discretion and direction of the government you WILL be supporting it...you have and are supporting it and will continue to.

i and anyone I know haven’t led a miserable life during restrictions... quite the opposite, ... simply here I’ve turned a negative into a positive and those in my family and most friends have shown an immense resourcefulness of human spirit to inspire and ensure our wellbeing, continuous enjoyment of life, health, friendship and comradeship through ‘different’ times as opposed to difficult... no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Im not a massive fan of RTE, but im not a massive critic of RTE news i think they do a half decent job but there are some areas that lack.

However the entire RTE radio 1 morning news bulletin can be dominated by covid, the increases in cases across the country, with focus on the 5-12 year old cohort and what Ronan Glynn said about them questioning their needs to participate in so many activities and have two GP’s on about the other illnesses.

My question, how can RTE have all this bulletin and not mention deaths? How can they talk so much about a disease without mentioning the ultimate consequence of it.

If they are going to lead with a bulletin on 5-12 years old cases increasing why dont they tell us how many 5-12 year olds have died or needed to be hospitalized????

Maybe tell the government just to give all the next budget to health?

Nothing else matters except trying to keep as many people as possible alive in your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Wouldn’t sell if they admitted that there was no deaths in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Thats a bit much of a conspiracy for me, but i can see how people would look at it that way alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Do you disagree with the conclusions of the authors of the paper

No

and luke oneills reading of its results?

Yes it's wrong and he did not read even the abstract of the paper, but rather read a bad pop-science article about the paper. In turn, posters here who only read Luke's tweet are now getting even his tweet wrong and are saying "vaccines are 63% effective against transmission". The paper did not say this in any way whatsoever.

If you do, you can call for a retraction of the paper as they are reaching a different conclusion to what you are making up (yet again).

I told you already, it's posted on medRxiv. This is a preprint repository, papers are not peer reviewed, and papers can NOT be retracted or withdrawn. They're permanent.

Your fixation on small parts of data in published papers is bizarre at this point and only makes sense if you are an antivaxxer

The quote I posted from the paper is the key finding in the paper. Their goal of their study, months of work, was to arrive at these "small parts of data".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@Snooker Loopy wrote:

When hospitalisations were at 353 and ICU numbers at 74 on October 9th I was saying the trends were bad and you were disputing it.

You're shadow boxing here. I didn't post on 9th October and I didn't respond to any of your posts. At best I said that increases were inevitable, they would top out eventually and people need to stop freaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Under the age of 44, I counted 12 people admitted to icu with covid in the 4 months of September to December 2020, before there were vaccines, or 36 in a year Before vaccines. That's around 60% of the population that are under 45.

As I said, the point still stands; covid is negligible to the under 40s as a disease even before vaccines but with vaccines it's amazing we even try to restrict this age group at all and instead should be telling the vulnerable and hypochondriac to hide. Highlighting a sob story (in sorry but that's all that is) does not give you permission to make a statement regarding the general population. It's emotional manipulation tactics, not grounded in hard facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hmmm. I think you might hoisted by your own petard here. The critical percentage is Unvaccinated to Unvaccinated. That is 22% where neither has been vaccinated. Where the infected person has been vaccinated, the transmission rate drops to 11% and 12%. This means that you are almost 50% less likely to transmit the virus if you are vaccinated.

Firstly, I appreciate that you're the only person to actually read the paper before posting.

It's hopefully obvious that vaccination reduces symptoms for some people and in turn may reduce transmission. The extent of this reduction is unknown, and this paper is one attempt to model it, in a household setting.

The question (for me) is whether vaccination programmes are a sufficient primary measure to reduce burden on hospitals, remove restrictions, etc.

The results from this paper give us a resounding "No", the reason:

1) Unvacc -> unvacc is irrelevant when up to 99% of adults in some counties are vaccinated, however the added risk of even unvacc -> unvacc is marginal.

2) Unvacc -> vacc has the same risk as: vacc -> vacc, and vacc -> unvacc. If you're vaccinated, you're as likely to be infected by a vaccinated person as by an unvaccinated person. Also, you're equally likely to infect people, as be infected by an unvaccinated person.

3) They note waning in vaccine effectiveness against transmission after only 60 days

These findings demonstrate that the covid cert is utterly senseless, as is the demonisation of unvaccinated people ("pandemic of the unvaccinated" etc).

Findings such as these should shift attention towards hospital capacity, and towards protection of the vulnerable only and removal of all restrictions. However instead, our "experts" are misinterpreting the paper entirely and this misinterpretation is bleated across all channels.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/1028/1256333-ireland-health/

I think RTE and the GP have this entirely backwards tbh.

I think this situation of increasing numbers of children presenting with respiratory issues has been going on at least since the middle of September, but in a big way since the start of October. The entire country is awash with sick children, not just Waterford.

Rather than "masking" the true covid numbers, it's likely resulting in us catching far more cases than we otherwise would; GPs will absolutely not see a symptomatic child without a PCR test, and schools/creches will insist on it. Thus, far more children are going for PCR tests than otherwise would be. And if a child has both covid and RSV, they are far more likely to be symptomatic from the RSV, but they'll come up positive on a PCR. That is, if they didn't have the RSV, they would never go for a PCR test and would never have been picked up.

Looking at the numbers for Paediatric ICU; in mid-September there were six beds available. By early October, they were down to 1-2 available at most on a daily basis. For a ten-day period, roughly 12th - 23rd Oct they were completely oversubscribed, reporting more children in ICU than ICU beds available (🤷‍♂️). It has since eased off (though only slightly). Which all matches up with a non-Covid respiratory virus that grew from mid-September and peaked in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hospital numbers down to 487 this morning and starting to look like their projections on that are way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I dunno mate, trying to keep as many people alive as possible is a pretty important goal for a state to have.

But that's just me.

It's a decent drop to be sure, I wouldn't count your chickens just yet though. Of the ~130 admissions in the last 48 hours, half of them come from that mystery "New covid case that wasn't admitted today" cohort. A new outbreak or two could easily scupper the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

My guess is half those entering hospital with covid don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Soon they'll run out of people to be infected in the hospitals - maybe that was their plan all along - hospital acquired herd immunity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Unless something has changed and hospitals are a free for all, every patient presenting will be triaged, and only admitted if the nurse/doctor determines they need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That was a very long post you made to admit you were wrong and then reverting to your dogmatic position that only the vulnerable should be vaccinated.

Truthfully, I had read the paper and just wanted to see what depths you would plumb to twist the narrative (knowing that quoting where you were wrong from the paper would not deter you) and Professor Moriarty has undone it all on you anyway.

Now that that's out of the way.

Are you vaccinated? If not, why not?

That could be correct on the hospital front but not for the ICU.

One good thing about the vaccine uptake is that it will eventually happen, however, it's probably at least another 6 months to a year at current case rates to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Given the level of reinfections or breakthrough infections, we will not reach herd immunity full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Absolutely we need better transparency with the admissions, why not have 2 symptoms breathing difficulties, high temperature and that’s one person admitted with the virus, person breaks both legs tests positive none of the 2 symptoms not a virus admission.

same with ICU could be there from a farming accident and test positive not a virus ICU case.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yeah I saw that article and was fairly baffled by the logic, surely children presenting with respiratory issues results in more of them being tested and more covid cases being caught. Though I'm not sure the article actually follows the ridiculous headline

Hard to believe that just a few weeks ago even the most pro restrictions posters were telling us that there was zero reason for restrictions to continue. Snake Oil himself was telling us that the virus was almost suppressed.

Now here we are less than a month later almost accepting the fact that restrictions are now permanent. Another 50 in ICU and we’ll likely be hearing of reimposing “measures”.

And once again we’ll be blaming alcohol, kids, unvaccinated or whoever else becomes flavour of the month.

In a country of 5M, if we can’t have 200 in ICU than we might as well forget about things like freedom.

We need to accept that the lads on the 6 figure salaries have failed miserably for 2 decades but in particular in the past 2 years to sort our hospitals and we need to demand solutions.

Will we do it? Absolutely not. We’ll believe whatever they tell us. If they say it’s nightclubs not enforcing a ticket, there’ll be a witch hunt to close down every nightclub in the country.

We are beyond pathetic at this point. Have been since summer 2020 when we decided that a 9 euro meal would help prevent a respiratory illness from spreading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The HSE are now launching antigen tests for close contacts .Its no longer snake oil so then ?

Advertisement