Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Singapore is a country my learned friend,it happens to be the most densely populated in the world.

Sydney is a average/big city,populated to a similar extent to most other first world cities in a very sparsely populated country/continent.

I think we know you're trolling at this stage and don't know how you're still on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Well done Nz! Keep doing it indefinitely!

''This week, Dancose found herself waiting in vain behind 17,000 others in an online queue. New Zealanders desperate to return to their home country are forced each week or so to enter a lottery for coveted beds in quarantine hotels.

As part of its effort to minimise the spread of the coronavirus, New Zealand requires all returning citizens and residents - whether vaccinated or not - to spend 14 days isolating in a hotel run by the military.

Because demand is far outstripping supply, New Zealanders are being locked out indefinitely, despite the right of return enshrined in New Zealand's constitutional arrangements and in international law.

The quarantine system remains in place despite New Zealand's government acknowledging this week that it can no longer wipe out the virus''

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Where is their right of return violated? Nobody is denying their right to return. I didn't see any reports of the government removing that right from any of the specific people involved. Those emigrants may have to be patient while they wait their turn to be processed, but their right to return is not being taken away.

Unless of course you can point us towards a particular constitutional article which states that the right-to-return must be facilitated immediately or at the exact time and whim of the traveller's choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭wassie

NSW are the first state to announce lifting quarantine & travel restrictions on fully vaccinated Australian residents & citizens to & from the state from November 1st. Tourism sector to come later as part of a managed reopening.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-15/nsw-ditching-quarantine-for-international-travellers-explained/100541924

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

gral6 on suicide watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tombhoy2018

Apparently NSW will have over 95% adults vaccinated in 10 days, 70% of over 12s in a month and starting under 12s next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

"Public enemy number one". Guess this guy better find somewhere else to live before the mob gets him. How is this allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,481 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

How is this allowed? Murdoch and his tabloid values are as big a presence, or even bigger, in the Australian media than in the UK media.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's a phenomenon that has been seen worldwide, just not to such extreme levels. Plenty of loud and angry muttering about the unvaccinated here and talk radio in particular is feeding it.

• Advertisement

Well, it's understandable. People die because other people refuse to act responsibly. Naturally, a degree of upset results.

This particular guy is not just unvaccinated. He is infected and extremely ill. He is currently in hospital on high-flow oxygen, and today is expected to deteriorate to a point where he will be admitted to ICU in the next 24 hours.

None of that would attract any particular odium. The real issue is that he crossed the border illegally, travelling to Sydney and Melbourne, and then illegally re-entered Queensland, having picked up the infection. He was infectious in the community for 10 days before being hospitalised. He has not been observing the Covid check-in requirements - another breach of the law - which makes it difficult to track his movements and so identify the people he has put at risk, and he is now too ill to speak and so cannot tell contact-tracers where he has been. Other states are now raising the travel barriers against Queensland, and a local lockdown is being considered.

Basically, he has acted with selfish disregard for the consequences his behaviour might have for others and a lot of people are being inconvenienced, and some have been exposed to real danger, as a result.

None of this is to justify the name-and-shame vigilantism of the Murdoch press - but that's the Murdoch press for you. And the situation may not be quite as bad as they paint. At the time the article that ceadaoin links to was published, it wasn't publicly known how sick the guy was. Medics are now saying that, while they still don't know where he was in the 10 days between re-entering Queensland and being admitted to hospital, for most of that time it's likely that he was too sick to be out and about much, so the number of people who have been exposed to contact with him is probably small.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

I see people in Melbourne celbrating that lockdown is over ... God love them, don't they realise they'll be back in hard lockdown after the Aus summer ?

www[dot]bbc[dot]com/sport/tennis/59037620

Good news, there was talk that Djokovic wouldn't be able to play....

And I guess vaccinated players will need to quarantine too, so what is the difference ?

edit - sorry can't post links ... says I need to be around longer ? eh why ? the account is 2+ years old...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Vaccinated players wont need to quarantine, its written right there in the article you posted.

hmmm ... good news I guess , pointing the way for plans for future tourism maybe ?

At a guess, Australia's reopening to foreign tourists will proceed in stages, starting with reopening to fully-vaccinated tourists coming from countries with high vaccination rates and low infection rates.

But I suspect the reopening will progress slowly. The border closures are not the only obstacle; there's also major disruption to transport links. Flights to and from Australia (for the widening class of people permitted and wishing to travel) are still very much more expensive than they were before the pandemic. For elective travellers, like tourists, this will be a significant consideration.

Well scratch that, it seems the authoritarian thug Dan Andrews is saying NO.

www[dot]bbc[dot]com/sport/tennis/59062787

That article says unvaccinated players won't get an exemption.

Missed this one from last week. Are there concrete plans to use these or donate them, especially as it says donations are falling ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hmm are you asking if Australia are planning on donating these to Ireland? It looks like the express train you mentioned a few months ago failed to stop at the booster platform or did they just run out of money again? Ireland now admittedly on the back foot now as they don’t seem to have boosters for everyone. Question is… is it enough to save Xmas?

in a funny old world I’m booked in for my booster on 6th Dec since it’s open to everyone here, and my folks are flying out on 17th December for a few months away from possibility of more lockdowns and sitting at home watching a candle because there’s no electricity.

Insane, and extremely dangerous. Sounds like North Korea.

He needs removal ASAP.

Your basing this opinion on something you read in the Mail Online? And you think Andrews is the threat?

The question is as asked. Your need to make it about something else entirely is your problem. Happy to hear that they have not had the challenges of other countries but I've really no idea what you're babbling about here. Australia is now a rear view mirror story and we've moved on from it.

It's in loads of other newspapers as well. There have been protests against it. Surely you've read or heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

There needs to be a pull back on what is happening.

Increasingly dangerous behaviors and attitudes are being normalised.

It will end in a very bad place.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Misinformed post and replies deleted

Please check for verifiable sources before making claims designed to outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭wassie

Positive signs coming out of Aus in last couple of days (ABC news) which is good news for Irish planning to migrate or backpacking in Aus.

Fully vaccinated international students and eligible visa holders from around the world, as well as tourists from Japan and South Korea will be welcomed back to Australia from next week.

....As well as student and skilled worker visas, those on refugee and working holiday visas are also eligible.

And NZ (as reported by RTE):

Fully vaccinated international travellers will be allowed to enter the country from 30 April, Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins told a news conference. The travellers will have to self-isolate for seven days on arrival. Vaccinated New Zealanders and residence visa holders in neighbouring Australia can travel to New Zealand from 16 January, while vaccinated New Zealanders and residence visa holders mostly from other countries will be allowed in from 13 February.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

More than 25,000 cases in Australia today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

Been planning a trip to Australia and NZ over the last few years but alas I can't go (was due to go in summer 2020)....im not vaccinated and I don't envisage they will relax that rule anytime soon if ever.

Advertisement