Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

mine came in last friday - you're not missing much to be fair - more unstable in a few areas - i lost GPS for the first time ever once i upgraded (came back the next day).

A good natural fix for a lot of bad smells in the car, cut up 2 oranges into slices and leave in 2 x lunchboxes one in the front and one in the rear with lid off so they don't fall all over the place. Leave for several days if needed. The orange will then get sucked into the vents curing any fish smells there too.

Indeed the range of the tour and tour 5 us really great to have very impressed with the whole car to be honest, it's made a big difference to my commute.

Congrats, you'll be delighted with it! Wise decision getting the 212, I ordered mine last week of April and only got it 2 weeks ago and have nearly 1900 Kms on it! Worth the wait but it was a killer!

As said below, B mode is good for town driving but I much prefer D on the open road, one thing I noticed is than even in D it can slow you down at times which bugs me also when it comes to roundabouts, junctions etc where I find it slows down a little early and a bit too aggressively but you can change it in the drive mode settings somewhere " I forget " so that it will not ever brake unless you hit the pedal.

Yeah I have to agree here, the wipers are a bit sh1t, in heavy rain the passenger wiper dumps water on the drivers side in line of sight, I reckon there should be a recall to fix it.

There's also some kind of film on my windscreen since I got it that causes massive smearing as if the wipers are completely worn, so maybe some Sonax might help but definitely, the wipers are a pain for me, I mean it's not the be-all and end-all but it's something that should have not left the factory until it was changed for right hand drive.

There's a reason they're different for driving on the left vs right so why they let right hand cars out of the factory is beyond me.

Good seeing you again, sorry the coffee wasn't what we ordered! lol

Yeah Kilcullen is quite a busy spot, especially with the taxi always there, they could do with more chargers but thankfully fast charging will be a very rare event now...... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

My windows were the same, couldn’t see a thing when they came on. The wiper blades were filthy too.

I cleaned them with neat window washer first and then car glass cleaner. My auto wipers worked properly for the first time after that!

Cleaned the inside too as they fogged up badly when it rained revealing what looked like finger marks all over.

I also applied some rain x which helps the wipers a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've heard the trick with the wipers is that they work better below 100kph, so maybe VW want ye to slow down 😜

I guess they learnt their lesson because the ID.4 has normal wipers

Regarding the film, maybe the garage coated the window with something like Gard X or some wax before delivery?

I've never been convinced waxing the windows is a good idea. The last time I got the windscreen waxed it was grand for a week and then started to break down in patches, so you'd get horrible dirty patches that the wipers wouldn't clean

Better to just keep the glass clean and use some window polish IMO

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yesterday in the south east they couldn't cope at 100kph, but think that's a problem generally with sequential sweep wipers. Too big an area to sweep. Notice it on a work Kuga as well, but at least they are correctly configured.

I suppose for high speed visibility in torrential rain you need fast short sweep conventional wipers, something like Boeing or Airbus..😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Hi all, pretty close at ordering an ID.3. I got a good trade in price but wondering if those who have traded in their cars got any discounts on the ROTR price? Currently I'm at full ROTR price less my trade you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Can't see anyone getting discounts to be honest... there's so few cars available unless you want to wait for months. Always try to haggle for mats and mudflaps and even try to get the Gardex thrown in. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Looking forward to the long wait! Going into to order the pro performance business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

anyone notice their range dropping off much?

Was getting ~350km on my spin to work and now I'm down to 310km and its not even cold.

Wasn't paying much attention but it seems to have happened since the 2.3 update.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

My range has dropped as well but I don’t have the 2.3 update completed.

Megan-E will be somewhere between range of 58kWH and 77kWH ID3 in the real world. It will only start coming through in March or April of next year.

Range will always drop off a bit at this time of the year. Air is thicker, therefore drag increases. Roads are wet, also increases drag. And heating also needed at times.

Will hit those doing faster runs more, for me the hit hasn't been too bad as yet with mainly B roads, perhaps down to around 380km. But wait till the battery gets down below 5c....😮

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Battery Life has a new video up reviewing some of the ID3 accessories available here.

I might grab the rubber mats or some of the Alcantara stuff.

Edit: I've messaged them to see if they do the door handle covers in right hand drive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I emailed the same question about 3 weeks ago re the RHD door covers. No reply.

I got them on chat and they said they should be available in a few weeks. They also have a centre console box coming but it's only a prototype at the moment.

Thought the Alcantara ones looked ok, should brighten up the base interior a bit. Hope in rhd soon..

Excellent. In Alcantara or in the matt black?

Also, winter wheels arrived today...

• Advertisement

All colours is the way I picked it up.

Those look wheels look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

Great looking wheels! Are winter wheels/tyres something we should be considering? I never had winter wheels/tyres with any ICE car I’ve ever owned over the past 40 years, but I have been based in Dublin. Currently got stock 18” Goodyear’s on ID3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If you're in Dublin then you don't need winter tyres. Turns out concentrating a load of people and industry in one area generates a lot of heat, so even when the rest of the country is iced over it doesn't hit Dublin as badly

Also the roads in the city are gritted and cleared much more than some rural areas

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

No don't think the dealer put on gardX or anything like that. They'd charge you for it and they didn't charge me.

Yeah I will have to go to Halfords in Carlow tomorrow to get Glass cleaner and clean the wipers, inside also had mad residue.

ID4 has normal wipers ? didn't know that but VW really should do a recall and fix it for right hand drive.

You won't get a discount, they are hard to get + the price has gone up, but no harm in trying, I couldn't even get mud flaps I was told " they don't make mud flaps for EVs" I laughed my head off.

Great car though. Which one you thinking of getting ? If you can at all go for more range than kit. The range of the tour and tour 5 is really good.

Below 7 deg C your Summer Tyres begin to loose their effectiveness and much more so when the road temps get lower, frost and ice is dangerous with Summer Tyres and snow not very practical do drive with.

Winter Tyres, as in proper Snow Tyres make a massive difference on Frost and ICE/Snow, can actually be the difference between able to drive or not depending on conditions.

Whether you think you need these tyres or not is up to you, we might have a cold winter, we might not, might only have frost in the mornings as usual and gone by 11am and if you live close to main roads that are salted then it might not be necessary unless there's lots of snow which is unlikely in out climate and if there is snow it's usually wet snow few cm in the morning and gone by 12 Pm but the thing is that our climate is highly unpredictable and we could have a colder than usual Winter to Hardly cold at all.

I don't intend to get Winter tyres and where I live if there's a Decent amount of snow on the road I'll just stay at home because the standard of driving in Ireland in snow is absolutely appalling causing chaos and chances are the roads won't be cleared so it's not worth travelling to me.

I live 4 kms to the M9 and can cope with Ice on the road, last year there was some crazy black Ice on my local roads and I managed in the BMW i3 which was difficult because you can't turn off the regen so at times it's like pulling the handbrake because the rear wheels locked up a lot so I had to be even more careful. At least with the VW ID3 I can turn off regen in D mode which will make it a lot easier but you need to play with the settings and turn off all the stuff that makes the car brake when it detects bad bends or junctions because it can brake pretty hard on it's own and you don't want this on ICE so time to figure all that out now before People start to drive on ICE for the first time with a Rear Wheel Drive EV it can be quite dangerous when not used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yesterday was the first day we picked the 4x4 in preference to the ev. The floods around here were crazy. And I think the Q5 will be a better choice in bad weather ( not least because it’s 11 years old and we are not as precious about it)

I agree that the main problem in poor weather here is the driving. But there you go. Winter tyres are amazing if the weather gets bad but it’s such a rare event and I’d be stuck at home with children from school closures either way.

If I lived in town I wouldn't bother with winters. I'd get Michelin Crossclimates and do all year.

But I live on top of a hill in rural Donegal. When I had no winters on the Leaf, I used to spend at least a few days and sometimes longer housebound.

In the i3 with winters I never missed a day.

Ordered yesterday, got a small discount on rounding down the numbers!

Ordered the Business Pro Performance, Scale Silver. 204HP should be fun!

Its our 2nd car so range not a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

they look diamond cut? brave move for a set of winters no?

Advertisement