Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Having a wobble today methinks. When will this end. The last % that aren't vaccinated (aside from the kids but NIAC are quiet) probably won't get vaccinated and tbh, I'm too jaded to even care about that %.

The health service won't be fixed overnight, so does this mean the restrictions that are in place to protect said health service will remain indefinitely?

We were so so so close, and in the final hour the government reneged.

Yeah most likely the restrictions are now part of life for the foreseeable future. It won’t get much better than 92% fully vaccinated.

Next year we can expect to be coerced into 3rd and 4th shots to keep our vaccine status.

Accepting restrictions and government emergency powers was always a slippery slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Hard to believe that just a few weeks ago even the most pro restrictions posters were telling us that there was zero reason for restrictions to continue. Snake Oil himself was telling us that the virus was almost suppressed.

Now here we are less than a month later almost accepting the fact that restrictions are now permanent. Another 50 in ICU and we’ll likely be hearing of reimposing “measures”.

Trust. The. Science. No not that science, the other one. The one on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Between this, the housing crisis, the under-performing HSE and many other reasons, I really want to leave country once I graduate. I absolutely love the Irish people but this country has let me down big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Agree with comments on the article. More generally, i personally think this article points to the need for more antigen testing, not PCR testing. The article itself says "children could have between six to eight respiratory tract infections over the course of the winter". in a family of 3 kids, taking the median figure of 7 infections, that's 21 occasions PCR tests would be needed over the next 4 months. Every time you get a PCR test you are looking at 2 days of staying at home for the kid (and the parent) even if the result turns out to be negative. That's 42 days a working parent of 3 kids would have to stay at home (maybe reduce it to 30 to allow for weekends) in 4 months. That's not viable folks and that is why there is an increased reluctance to get a PCR test for your kid (certainly if they've just a runny nose - perhaps different if they have one or more of a quick onset persistent cough, a temperature, breathing difficulties, etc).

NPHET to me are looking for perfection here in lieu of the best practical practice. To my mind, if a kid (or anyone) only has a runny nose then an antigen test is the way to go. Its not as good as a PCR test but this isn't a case of a PCR test or an Antigen test. In truth, in most cases its an Antigen test or no test at all.

Time for us to change the advice I think and make PCR tests mandatory only for the "classic" covid syptoms and for people with positive antigen tests. Everyone else should be encouraged to take antigen tests - and I mean encouraged, free tests posted to everyone, ad campaigns asking you to take a test if you have any respiratory symptoms at all, ads showing how to properly administer antigen tests and so on and so forth. I reckon this would stop spread, notwithstanding the limitations of Antigen tests, far better than the current regime which is increasingly being ignored as it is unworkable in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I have a good job here and still want to emigrate, it's a basket case, particularly so during social emergencies like covid and the housing crisis.

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

god, imagine trying to prioritize keeping as many people as possible well and alive, and not having health services overwhelmed during a pandemic, the sheer horror of it all :)

i never said nothing else matters so you might want to stop misrepresenting my views to try and prove a point, it’s pure lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I cannot help but think the government/media are priming us for another lockdown come December. As per usual I hope I’m wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

It really isn’t and you will realise that when you live elsewhere for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭shockframe

We might get reform if/when there is a major decline in people applying for nursing.

Why would the youth want to work beside people who kept on blaming them and forced restrictions on their lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

There does appear to be modelling by NPHET and the UK equivalent that says this will peak soon and start to improve by December. Hard to see that (but what do we know...) however I think that is plan A. If Plan A fails and numbers, say, double again then I suspect you could be right. And I think that's why they were willing to open nightclubs etc so they can turn around in that scenario and say they did try to open up as people wanted but look what happened... Lets just cross fingers that Plan A does come to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

Its not a basket case. We may throw the phrase around but far away hills are not so green.

Trust.The.Science.No not the full paper, just these two paragraphs, out of context, and ignoring the totality of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I don’t know much about modelling but don’t see how it would peak by December - again I’m no expert but I presume it just gets worse the more we get into winter, the more indoors we are etc…..

In saying all that I don’t think NPHET know much about modelling either as they tend to get it very wrong (even taking into consideration it is very hard to predict)….

Just hope for the best I suppose as you said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

It's looking very precarious. I dont think any of us thought we would be worse off than this time last year with such a high vaccinated population..

Even if we subtracted the unvaccinated number of people from the icu figures we still have a higher amount of vaxxed people in icu than time last year.

We need to act NOW to turn this around.

Firstly, we need to start boosting as many people as possible immediately. The numbers are getting so high than the cited 90 percent protection against hospitaliion offered by the 2 dose vaccine isnt going to be nearly enough to stop our hospitals getting overwhelmed.

Secondly, we have to start policing enforcments properly - masks, certs etc. We are ridiculously lax here compared to other countries.

If the government dont act now they will be left with no other choice but to react when the numbers reach uncontainable levels with more restrictions and lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So, apart from needing to book a ticket for a nightclub, and perhaps needing boosters to maintain vaccine status (I'll grab that thank you), what are the remaining restrictions? (I'm not being facetious, just asking what people in general think the main obstacles outstanding are).

Most people will likely put up with covid passes (not that troublesome once you have it on the phone) and majority that choose not to get vaccinated (their absolute right) are, effectively, choosing not to attend venues at this time. With 92% vaccinated, it's probably unlikely that a significant proportion of vaccinated people will go out of their way to support unvaccinated entry to such establishment. Perhaps when further information on whether vaccination helps prevent transmission is available they might re-assess. (Luke etc. saying 63% prevents transmission, CDC being much more coy about it with 'potentially', 'more tests' etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Even if it gets no worse than now we are screwed when flu and cold season really kicks in. We probably need covid numbers to crash during November to prevent a disaster. Or, to prevent that, we will just lockdown again.

You still have to wear masks in lots of settings. Still table service only in pubs which is a huge restriction. I think they still have curfews as well. Covid certs still in place. Seating required at indoor gigs. Still can’t visit in hospitals etc

That’s just off the top of my head as well. Hugely restricted for 92% vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Let's put it this way: If a lockdown happens, I won't be going into lockdown and restricting my contacts, etc., because I do not accept the need for such a thing to happen at this point in the pandemic.

So if I would reject a lockdown at this stage, then I believe a majority of the rest of the country would too. Not because I am specially influential, but because I am absolutely unremarkable, and tend to find myself right in the middle of the public opinion bellcurve on most topics. Businesses are between a rock and a hard place, but people would be more willing to turn a blind eye to it.

Even if a majority would accept a lockdown (I know women and older people seem to be a lot more nervous about it general), I think there would be enough people rejecting it to make the government think more than twice.

I agree that the media are on a fear binge at the moment, but it's the flavour of the day for them. A good political scandal would send covid to the back again.

I'm holding out hope that the UK roll out their plan B, because that will reduce their numbers, and we will see a massive reduction in numbers as a consequence. We are utterly at the mercy of their shitshow. If it were at all feasible, the most effective measure we could introduce would involve a travel ban between the Republic and the UK, allowing cross-border traffic only for work or essential purposes.

If that were possible, we could open up completely without any restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

What totality of information am I ignoring? Be specific instead of resorting to juvenile insults

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Jesus we are back to travel restrictions now 🤣 All over the shop

In their latest letter, even NPHET appear to be starting to see that closing small parts of society has very little impact on case numbers.

Even during our last 6 month lockdown we couldn’t get cases below a few hundred.

Difficult to see what restrictions could be reimposed that would actually make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Why are the tests only being offered to vaccinated people? Surely if its the unvaccinated spreading the virus, they'd be the ones we'd want to test right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Slight correction on hospitality. You can order at the bar and there aren't any curfews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Philip Nolan is a charlatan. How many people did he discourage from doing home antigen testing due to his comments? Yes, the Lidl tweet was a slight dig at a comment made at one of the NPHET briefings, but Lidl were suggesting using them in a sensible manner. If you’re going to have your barbecue, which was absolutely allowed during the summer, have an antigen test just in case. It was never suggested it was for symptomatic people nor was it was an alternative to PCR testing. What harm would it have done? People wouldn’t bought them with their own money, it wouldn’t have cost the HSE/government anything. Antigen testing could’ve become the norm and would’ve cut down on transmission, but because the professor said they were a scam, people would’ve thought they were next to useless.

But now they’re good enough to use on people who are more likely to have the virus?! I wonder does he still hold the same opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

'Dr Martin Daly, a GP based near Ballygar in Co Galway, also said there has been an increased presentation of young children with respiratory illnesses over the last number of weeks.

Speaking on the same programme, he said he and his colleagues have noticed an increase of "Covid fatigue" among parents who are becoming more hesitant to have their children tested because of the logistical difficulties that arise if a test is positive.

Dr Daly said it is a very difficult situation, but warned that "there is a price to this" if cases are not identified, and urged parents to act if their children have symptoms.'

Given that, for most children, the symptoms of Covid are only the equivalent of, at the very worst, the normal flu, then what price could there be for not seeking a test if symptoms of what might only be the common cold or some other infection that has always been around? Regarding this story, ignorance is bliss.

Given that, for most children, the symptoms of Covid are only the equivalent of, at the very worst, the normal flu, then what price could there be for not seeking a test if symptoms of what might only be the common cold or some other infection that has always been around? 

The people who were more at risk who are potentially contacts of those kids, or contacts or contacts of those kids

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

You can only have 10 at a table in a pub. But you can book multiple tables, so a hurling squad, and their partners, friends etc., for example, can book say 8 tables, side by side, many having sat in a dressing room a few hours earlier, played a game, trained all week etc.

But they can't get up dancing and mingling with the people they have been with all along.

Are people allowed surf between tables and speak to different groups while seated, I think so.

Do they need to wear a mask as they go between tables, I assume so?

They all need to put masks on when going to the toilet or bar and not speak to anybody while in the queue for the bar etc. as they must queue 2 metres apart.

It is just pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Presumably, those potential contacts who have no underlying health issues and who are fully vaccinated will be fine. Those potential contacts who are still vulnerable can protect themselves by maintaining distance.

Advertisement