Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

People in this country have no connection to the famine. Sure aren't they wasting food goodo left right and centre. You can walk into any shop and be bamboozled with food and processed garbage from all corners of the world for a pittance. Until there is a value placed on food the way there is value placed on your broadband subscription, or your phone, or your €300 jeans with holes in it everywhere then getting people to change their ways regarding food is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭minerleague

Notice the vegans have moved from almond and soya milk to oat milk now ( transport around the world not so green !) How many acres would you need for a glass of milk ?. ( whats left would be a good cattle feed so silver lining and all that). Saw someone asked on tv about reducing irish cattle herd being replaced by increases elsewhere saying " oh, we'll deal with that with trade deals" (sounded like Trump at his best) Reckon life will go on as normal after a while with no objections to the like of fracking if it interferes with standard of living. Problem with world population now is people in poorer countries want our standard of living and hard to blame them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Going back to yer man from the epa on matt Cooper.he concluded that emissions dropped by 3.4 %due to covid.can you imagine how miserable life would have to be to make any serious dent in emissions if the misery of the last 18 months only resulted in 3.4 %

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm surprised that the reduction was so little considering that air travel was more or less none existent. Most office workers/teachers etc were confined to working from home so I assume it maybe due to the extra requirement for electricity generation/data centers. I remember during the height of the lockdown driving on the M3/N3 with a load of cattle (essential service) and I counted 4 cars and 30 odd 40' trucks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Good point about the air travel, apparently it's not counted at all because it's hard to allocate it to a particular country.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

we need middle ground. Every negotiation has to have compromises.

Then stop putting it squarely on the Greens shoulders to identify and advocate for solutions. FG signed Ireland up to the Paris Agreement, FF, supported them doing so. Everyone in a position of power seems to acknowledge the need for action. Only one group on the fringe of power is advocated for doing something.

It's an abdication of responsibility for any one else who sees a problem but then turns towards the Greens to come up with a solution and to then lambast them for it not being pain free or an immediate fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://youtu.be/tJWZJ1Lb04A

Not much mention of methane emissions in live stock , but briefly mentions nitrous oxides which isn't really being talked about much yet

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Why don't they allocate it to the country that the planes diesel up in?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

Fair points about the advancement of technology and the innovations in agriculture and communications technology but all this happened organically and all the time global energy consumption mainly fossil fuels increased in step. Oil consumption is increasing again like it has for the last century unaffected by all the "transition to renewables" Now we are about to shutter vast sectors of the global economy force them to produce 50% less carbon by 2030 ( in Europe anyway) and expect that technological progress and industry will adapt ??

Remember when the Communists try to force certain sectors of the economy into desired directions like agriculture and collectivisation or the great leaps forward in industry. It wasn't exactly a roaring success and it is now just history. But it was an example of Very Big Government utterly failing because it did not understand how industrialisation or agricultural productivity really happened.

As for "nuclear fusion" its still sci fi stuff, we have still to get nuclear fission acceptable and safe and cheap before we can even think about reducing carbon by 50%, who decided on the 50% anyway certainly not anyone from the energy sector

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I certainly wouldn’t turn to them to fix it. If you read my post correctly you would see that I am advocating more moderate solutions from both sides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If it is so serious, why are farmers not worried, why aren't they at the protests, they're obviously just going to let it happen, be rode/

no wonder the minister is ignoring them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Funny you should say that. We were talking about house prices and the environment in one of our usual drunk discussions.

A vegan friend said to another friend that his beer had a huge carbon footprint. He pointed out that he was drinking a craft beer from this very county from a glass, while the vegan was drinking a bottle of Carlsberg. The vegan ordered a coffee to sober up before the wife collected him.

It then descended into us asking the vegan what was the carbon footprint of his coffee and his soya milk. Needless to say we didnt have any answers but it was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Farmers are really the bad boys in this whole thing, I was on an environment committee 12 -15 years ago and we were warned in a meeting with the department not to increase our stock or stocking rates and look what has happened since , the biggest jump being in the dairy herds and they'd be considered the worst offenders

Just edited to say I was giving a presentation to a meeting, I said it wasthe most boring commitee I was ever on, i didn't raalise that Pat smith had just walked in to the room , he challenged me immediately and said it would prove to be the most important commitee before long. He's doing very well now, probaly on our money,

Post edited by wrangler on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's ironic that the abolition of milk quota by the EU has been the driver for the increase in dairy cattle and now we're being told we need to reduce numbers.

According to the the FAQ below this increase was foreseen and dare I say welcomed as it would supply demand which was seen as increasing intothe future. That was only 5 years ago.

The farmers are an easy scapegoat as it's easy to say get rid of the belching cows because it only directly impacts a minority, it's not so easy to say get rid of the second car in every house or you can only go on a foreign holiday every other year rather than twice a year.

Alternatively divide the carbon up between the 2 countries the plane is travelling between.

Maybe I'm being cynical but isn't Charles de Gaulle in Paris and Frankfurt in Germany 2 of the busiest airports in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

But but but everyone has to make sacrifices.

I know sure you start with getting rid of the cows and the politicians can think about the plane trips at a summit in the Bahamas or wherever they think would be nice to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well, if there's no quotas , and CAP changes bring about reductions In tillage then I can see a big increase In dairy in the near future-

Of course pig and poultry have very low levels of emissions especially if you feed imported feed ...🙄🤔

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's a pretty dodgy business, operating across multiple administrations and taking advantage of all manner of loopholes. Time the noose was tightened, even at the expense that we are an island nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Being an island we are even more dependent on air connectivity than the rest of EU.

With our long history of emigration and our tourist industry in mind we should think long and hard before joining in any moves to reduce access to air travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Boom. There ya go. Lets not curtail flying, but cut back on the one thing we do very well and sustainably - produce food!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well if you mean that the cost of an airline ticket for a weekend break in Brussels should reflect the true cost of operating that flight and the carbon burden in the fuel burnt, then I agree with you.

But that's not exactly how it is and those days have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

If it comes down to mandatory reductions on the dairy herd, how much compensation per head would ye be happy with?

Please try to be realistic…!

No there you don't go.

It's not one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Endorsements by the Eu commission and now ipcc. Get the Irish government on board now.

What I mean is that we should not be leading the charge to reduce air travel without considering the consequences.

So you mean that with our long history of food production also we should not be leading the charge to reduce output without considering the consequences of that either? I think I saw during the week something like 3,000 jobs could be lost but it seems that's considered an acceptable price to pay.

If we're concerned about emissions we may have to look at whether international travel for tourism purposes is realistic. For example a weekend break in Brussels may have to become one in Belfast.

Edit: this link says 2,800 - 6,000 jobs lost from a reduction in the dairy industry depending on the scenario.

Check this out on Agriland - Climate council report predicts less cattle and lower output https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/climate-council-report-predicts-less-cattle-and-lower-output/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You do know that we make oat milk in Ireland, using Irish oats, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

But it does seem to be…

There is a climate report that lists the impact of a 50% cut in the Irish herd, to reduce methane…

I don’t think the same climate report had a 50% reduction in flights… (we aren’t even counting plane emissions at present are we?)

Now - how is that not one vs the other?

Advertisement