Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Texans are sending RB mark Ingram to the saints. No details of what the terms are.

it’s been a couple of days but joe Flacco is going back to the jets because clearly the jets realised that Mike white wouldn’t cut the mustard.

And in Watson watch, the panthers owner has publicly said they are out of that sweepstakes which is fair enough but you’d wonder how far into it they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Feels like a chicken and egg here. No team is going to trade for him before they know the NFL's opinion/suspension. NFL isn't announcing a opinion/suspension until someone trades for him and proposes playing him.Legal case in January - Watson guilty of something bad, goes to jail and/or NFL suspension.

There's 3 ways this ends:

1. In the next week, Miami get a lowball offer accepted by Houston accepts.
    2. January - Legal case - Watson guilty of something bad, goes to jail and/or NFL suspension.
    3. January - Legal case - Watson cleared, 5/6 teams will want him so Houston gets their stash of picks in exchange.

Houston can take a lower offer now, or if they're confident he's not guilty, they will hold till that clears and get his proper value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JJ Watt done for the season. First bit of bad news the Cards have had. Could their season be about to unravel? It's happened them on more than one occasion before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It is a grim situation but speaking from a purely business standpoint Texans should hold out. It is not like they are going to be a contender any time soon so unless any current offer is in ballpark of what they'd get without this hanging over him they should wait it out.

And something that mentioned by Ian rappaport yesterday is let’s say the Texans do trade him to the dolphins go on a winning streak and the pick isn’t as high as expected than the Texans get a picks that’s not as valuable as it was in November 2021.

Dolphins don't have their 2022 1st round pick to trade anyway - Philly got that in a trade

First time I have seen the NFL gamepass blackout a game. Titans Colts unavailable on the app.

Has this been happening all season?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Calvin Ridley stepping away from football to focus on his mental health. Wow

That's becoming a more common thing. Nelly Korda did it a sort while ago, Naomi Osaka too and Matthew Wolff as well that I can think of off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Von Miller traded to the Rams. I guess they're all in on a SB this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Wow. In my short time watching football this is the most extreme example of win or bust I've seen a team doing. They can't have many picks left at this rate.

Jaysis only after seeing too that Derrick Henry is essentially out for the season with a broken metatarsal. Such a shame, thought he was in with a real shot of MVP. Would be nice to see a non-QB win it for once.

I'd still fancy the Titans on making the playoffs on account of their division, which would open to door for a Henry return should they get that far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

It'll undoubtedly improve the Rams D for what remains of the season, but a 2nd and a 3rd round pick is a high price for Von Miller. Hes only going to play half the season (at best), hes out of contract at the end of the season, and he turns 33 at the end of the season. Its even more short-term focused than usual for them.

Thought that as well. Broncos were almost certainly moving on from Miller. at the end of the season anyway and they don’t look like contenders this year. They must have thought it was Xmas when the phone rang with that offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Re Miller trade.... Very happy to see Von with a contender this year, and off what has been a sorry ass team the last few years.

The Rams get a great piece to push to the Super Bowl, while Denver pay his entire salary. We get a 2nd and 3rd, which is likely more than we could have expected. How those are used will be another matter.

Will definitely be rooting for the Rams in the NFC with Miller and Stafford there now.

Didn’t realise Denver were paying most of his salary. The trade makes a bit more sense on both sides in that case.

Rams going all in and really loading the cannon. It’ll be fascinating to see it play out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Seems like a good strategy. Better to load the cannon and go for it at some point then live in eternal rebuild mode. Plus many teams waste a lot on the draft.

It might work or it might not, play offs are always tough and there is never a guarantee of a superbowl but it seems better for their fans to have a good chance at it.

In other news the Chiefs are the only team that do not have a team with a losing record in the rest of their schedule which seems like more fun for them and their issues so far. Still I expect them to rebound at some point.

• Advertisement

Melvin Ingram gone to the Chiefs for a 6th, wasn’t getting the starting role in Pittsburgh and wanted out. Seems a reasonable deal on both sides. He has played well when called up this year

Denver doing great trading with the Rams, a second and third next year for Miller and then swapping their sixth for a seventh to get Kenny Young last week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They are essentially paying for a draft pick, paying majority of the salary for the extra pick. They would have got a 3rd round comp pick if he left in free agency anyway.

Bit of a strange move for a team with playoff aspirations.

Henry Ruggs involved in a car crash last night around 3-4am where at least one person has died. Not much more details yet but he's apparently okay (or has suggested a bad hip injury depending on what rumours are true...)

Post edited by el Fenomeno on

Yikes, he's being charged with DUI resulting in death. The other car went up in flames and the person's body was found after they put it out. Absolutely awful.

Apparently that's a 2 year minimum / 20 year maximum jail sentence for him in Nevada.

Really don't understand why multi-millionaires feel the need to take unnecessary risks like that. RIP to the driver of the other car.

I would legit never drive a car myself again if I had that type of money. Drink or no drink, any time of day.

NFL even has a program where players basically have a free anonymous Uber app while they're in NFL, to avoid this exact situation.

Just reading up on it there and they were saying about how he credits his friend Roderick Scott with getting him started in football and he died in a car accident at 17 years of age.

So he really should know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Raiders have released Ruggs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭collybyrne

Seems like every couple of years there is some horror story like this in the NFL, be it domestic violence, assault, players involved in shootings, etc. America is such a different world and these guys come from such varied backgrounds. My thoughts go out to everyone involved, the victims family of course, but also to a 22 year old who has to live with the consequence of his actions for the rest of his life. Damn.

Brief police report of the crash.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1455677724283088906

Driver of the other car was a 23 year old girl who was trapped inside the car while it burned. Still unclear if she was alive after impact.

Ruggs' girlfriend, 22 years old, was also taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Ruggs was travelling at a 'high rate' of speed and veered into the lane of the young woman. This would indicate that it wasn't just a simple drunken collision, but that Ruggs was fully conscious and aware of what he was doing. An awful mistake on his part yes, but I hope he gets the book thrown at him if that's the case. Hard to see any mitigating factors albeit based off a brief summary of events.

Aaron Rodgers has tested positive for COVID, misses the Chiefs game this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

Michael Thomas not suiting up this year as per his Twitter account.

Ruggs' car has airbag computer records that flagged him decelerating from 251 kmp/h to 204 kmp/h at the moment of impact. Twice the legal alcohol limit, and a loaded gun in the car also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

How many laws can you break with one stupid decision, sad that he killed a young woman and her dog, no sympathy for the prick, NFL and high level college players are often treated with kid gloves, and don’t face consequences for idiotic actions, but he will here, it’s too late though, you can’t rewind the clock, speed limits are not there just for fun, and a lack of responsibility has done for him here, can’t hide behind star player **** any more. America’s version of a GAA player from a prominent family, pillers of the community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

He's the latest entry on the NFL arrest Database and won't be the last. On the sympathy scale I'm at 0%

https://databases.usatoday.com/nfl-arrests/

Wasn’t the rookie symposium in canton every summer meant to be a way for ex players who went through the Pitfall's of being an NFL player meant to stop all manner of rookies and young players from saying and doing stupid **** ? What was ruggs thinking ?

Follow on to this story, Rodgers told the media he was vaccinated during the summer.

Turns out it wasn't a proper vaccine, he took some alternative medicine.

Had him pegged as one of the more normal NFL players.

• Advertisement

Yeah my whole opinion on him changed when I found this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You mean to tell me that Rodgers is a bit of a gobshite? Well I am not the least bit surprised, though I did actually like his shouting at the Bears the other week.

Obviously he is the greatest Packer in my lifetime, and all that really matters is what he does with that arm.

But at times he does seem dumber than a mule. And the irony is, he thinks he's clever, smarter than Mike McCarthy, the media, the Packers front office, and now doctors...

So its a bit more complicated than that. During the summer he said:

“Yeah, I’ve been immunized,” Rodgers said in August. “There’s guys on the team that haven’t been vaccinated. I think it’s a personal decision, I’m not gonna judge those guys.”

So he was very careful not to lie and say he was vaccinated, instead saying he was immunized. Its a very deceptive, political answer - but its not outright lying.

Its still very silly mind you, but its an interesting insight into his mindset and way of operating. I'd say a lot more people will have sympathy for the Packers general management dealing with his off-season drama last summer now.

Didn't he say he was "immunized" and not vaccinated? The natural assumption was that he'd had the jab but clearly not. A shame because Rodgers has been one of my favourite players ever.

Edit: I should've read all the comments first! See above.

The Ruggs story gets worse and worse the more you read.

Just a warning - some graphic details below.

From The Sun for those that don't like visiting their website.

"A bystander, Alexander Hart, was nearby standing as a security guard at a condominium and rushed to help, according to the police report.

When he arrived, he heard screams coming from the Toyota.

Tina was still alive, he told the police but he couldn’t pull her out, because she was pinned inside the SUV.

The Toyota “was soon overcome with smoke and heat from flames,” and Hart had to back away, according to the report.

Tina's dog, who was in the back seat, also died.

Ruggs refused a sobriety test at the scene, police said, but later blood tests were taken at the hospital showing his intoxication levels.

His girlfriend Rudy Washington, 22, was also in the car and was rushed to the hospital with major injuries.

She underwent surgery Tuesday for a severe arm injury, authorities said.

Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Joe M. Bonaventure said he was troubled by his initial review of the case against Ruggs, adding that in 16 years on the bench he had never heard of a crash involving a vehicle traveling so fast."

It's minimum of 2 and maximum of 20 years for DUI causing death. It's hard to see any mitigating factors here other than - I'm assuming - a lack of previous for the same offence. Even still, he should be hitting the upper limits for that charge alone.

As mentioned above he was also in possession of an illegal loaded gun, which in the state of Nevada which such lax gun controls, is an achievement in itself. There is also the matter of him having a radar detector and laser diffuser installed in his vehicle. I'm still not clear on the legality of them in Nevada, but it appears that laser diffusers are illegal in most states at a federal level.

Thankfully, it looks as if he'll be spending at least 10-15 years behind bars, all while (hopefully) being sued for every penny he has by the family of the deceased. An absolutely horrendous way to go and Ruggs deserves everything that's coming to him.

• Advertisement

Horrific, my god.

Very hard to have any sympathy for him whatsoever

I've no sympathy for Riggs whatsoever and he deserves every day he gets in jail.

You are painting the worst picture possible though. Why?

He was drunk driving, at twice the legal alcohol limit (so very drunk), at 250km/h, with an illegal firearm in his car. He crashed into an innocent person and killed them.

Theres no "painting" going on, Ruggs is just a horrendous human being.

You swear he was drunk and driving at 250kmph before ploughing into a young woman who was trapped in her car and burned to death while causing serious injuries to another. Why anyone would want to paint that in a bad light is a puzzler.

Yeah those are the facts and no painting there. There was in the post I quoted though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement