Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dave Chappelle's new special "The Closer" really transphobic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

A glowing recommendation for Bill Burr and Louis CK right there!

Delighted Dave came out to say he wouldn't take the knee for any group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I don't think he's transphobic. He's got some genuine issues with the whole LGBTQ movement, thats clear.

I thought the last 20 minutes were very moving. He had to end on a joke, thats why he's there. It was in keeping with the tone of the show and fitted the character of the woman he described. I noticed he referred to trans people as she or her. Thats respectful. He made fun of Kaitlyn Jenner being awarded woman of the year when she hadn't been a woman for a year.

Not his funniest but funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

You're going at it backwards. Check out his earlier specials for less social commentary and more straight up comedy. I think they can be found on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Thats cool - memo to trans people - If you could just stay indoors until briany from the internet is happy with your appearance..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭briany

If you want to re-read my post, I started it with, "To me...", meaning my subjective opinion, so your facetious comment misses the mark entirely.

• Advertisement

Its an opinion site - you don't need to qualify your opinion with "to me" because most of the time I am going to assume the comment posted under your account is your opinion..

I got your point - and its a very judgemental attitude (and its not just held by yourself). Define passable for example - its quite a rude statement to transwomen and women.

I got your point - and its a very judgemental attitude

That's your opinion, on this opinion site.

I already stated what I would and would not consider passable, so you can take that as you find it. You see, my original post was a response to OMM 0000's statement of "We all know trans-women are not real women", which I didn't think was a fair comment.

Well - its literally judging what is passable as a woman - so yes of course it is my opinion that it is a judgemental attitude, but also it is literally judging..

But I take your point - that the original statement is unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

After watching this last night, finally, I'm thinking of changing my username to OldSkookGay. What ya thing? Suits?

edit: NO, not for THAT reason. Jeeze.

Ultimately, the thread title should be, "Is it transphobic to tell a joke about trans- people?".

Clearly, the answer is no - because no subject is out of bounds of comedy, otherwise comedy is dead.

If trans people or trans activists are offended by said jokes, then they should just not watch the show.

But leave the rest of us alone, thank you very much.

• Advertisement

It's all about discrimination. You can be religious and think everyone else is a sinner but as long as you treat them fairly and don't discriminate, you are free to hold your own set of values and beliefs.

All Chappelle did is call out what he sees as the hypocrisy of some movements and draw comparisons with racial issues.

'Why was is easier for Bruce Jenner to change his name to Kaitlyn, then it was for Cassius Clay to change his name to Mohammed Ali?'.

I don't think it's appropriate for us to judge on whether we find a trans person 'passable' or attractive enough to be given the respect we are all due.

I mean respect in giving respect due every human equally. The right to exist and be acknowledged.

You don't have to pretend or play along, just don't discriminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's impossible for a living person not to exist. It's also impossible for a man to be a woman. What am I discriminating against? What am I acknowledging?

Any statement or opinion that doesn't completely accept trans people can be considered to be unfair by those who advocate Trans beliefs. Doesn't make it untrue though. Trans women are not women. It might be unfair for those who believe otherwise, but it's equally unfair to those who are bullied into silence for fear of condemnation from those who do believe it to be true.

They already have that in Western culture. The problem is that Trans people are expecting approval and complete acceptance of their choices in life from others.

It's been decided by some that refusing to accept those choices as being transphobic, just as joking about it can (considering this thread) be transphobic, regardless of whether there is any hate, contempt or meanness involved. Instead, those advocating the trans belief, are expecting others to give up the very thing that they want for themselves. The right to choose what to believe and accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Appropriate? Its downright **** rude, disrespectful and dripping with transphobic bigotry.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭archfi

Repent! Repent! Motherfckur!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Would you go out with someone of the latter description you used, if you were single??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You dont need my approval to try live as a woman, any more than a furry needs my approval to pretend to be a cat. That doesnt mean a vet has to provide them with medical treatment.

I don't see hysteria - facetiousness, amusement perhaps, but certainly not hysterical.

The rest of your response is exactly the sort of confused ignorance I expect from certain posters on boards and I don't think there is the capacity or even the want to have any kind of sensible discussion on the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - a number of off topic posts have been deleted, leave out the personal digs and name calling, discuss the topic civilly. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Good to see that he’ll be acknowledging this next month in his new documentary “Untitled”. He teases a preview below that’s well worth watching because he also mentions the attempts to ‘cancel’ him since the special.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

He’s been wishing he could be the victim of ‘cancel culture’ for the last two specials already, hardly riveting stuff that he’s gonna get a third special out of the thing he’s claiming victimhood about that in reality hasn’t happened.

He's touring soon. I hope he doesn't go full Lenny Bruce and get caught up on this one thing. It's getting old fast.

As I've said before, I think Chappelle's a brilliant comedian and I found his previous routines from the last few specials on things like the disparity on how the media treated the crack epidemic with blacks and the heroin epidemic with whites, the hysteria over Louis CK's masturbation allegations and the Michael Jackson stuff to be very well-observed and apropos. He could have taken the LGBT thing and given that a tight 10 minutes (which he did in one special) and left it at that. But instead, he seems to be getting fixated on it and it's getting less tight comedic routine and more a diatribe. My opinion is that if you wade into this too deep, it's never-ending. There are people out there on Twitter and the general social media space whose career is apparently to perpetuate this culture war over the issue. It is a phenomenon that is, frankly, bigger than Dave Chappelle and so it's something he stands to be consumed by if he's not careful. Yes, there is a time to stand up for yourself, but there's also a time to walk away. Look at what happened to Graham Linehan - he couldn't walk away from it, and it ended with him getting banned from Twitter, losing work and his marriage dissolving.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭maik3n

It's seems as though the Anti-SJW crowd have been shouting so loud about Chappelle apparently being cancelled that it has become the effective truth whether it is the reality or not. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder how many on here will protest outside any Venue if he comes here ,

It furthers the agenda of anti-SJW people to say that Chappelle has been cancelled. In reality, Netflix has given Chappelle ample platform (and money, presumably) to speak his mind on a number of controversial issues, despite the inevitable backlash. It highlights that cancel culture is something of an illusion in the sense that all of the people on social media shouting for a particular performer to be 'cancelled' don't really have any power unless the media outlets giving those performers a platform decides to take action by removing that platform. If and when it comes to the point that content providers crunch the numbers and ascertain that they can make more money by leaving a controversial piece of work up rather than succumbing to pressure to take it down, cancel culture has no power. Donald Trump had a long career on Twitter spreading flagrant misinformation on a range of matters and never got taken down until the last days of his presidency, he was just too big and too important to the platform. Dave Chappelle puts a large number of butts in seats, and he has a history of being on the edge anyway, so he'll be alright if he doesn't let his issues with the LGBT community consume him and take away from his ability to speak on and be funny about a broad range of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

don’t be silly , there’s a massive drive to cancel people , even norm McDonald was told not to turn up after saying louis ck and Roseanne were his mates and it’s sad they can’t work at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Does he not state in the above video that he had some film that no theaters will now not show due to his latest special? And that that is the canceling aspect. I watched that video yesterday or the day before and remember that being said. Can't watch it right now again however.

Advertisement